Old 20th April 2003, 14:37   #1
Wizard

in_vorbis 1.33 STILL has MAJOR tagging bugs

In a previous thread, in_vorbis 1.33 was posted to solve the Xiph.org overwritting. But versions 1.32 and 1.33 STILL corrupt all my perfectly valid ogg files ONLY IF I update the tag.
Here's the problem: I make ogg files with oggenc with no tags at first. If I use the file info box to insert a tag, seeking in the file gets totally screwed up and it can't be corrected. If I try to remove the tag, the file size is still larger from the original, so something is definately wrong here.

EDIT: I used Foobar just for testing and it plays the updated file fine. Only Winamp can't play it correctly after it updates it.

Last edited by Wizard; 20th April 2003 at 15:17.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2003, 08:58   #2
Wish
Major Dude

I can't reproduce, just tested with oggenc encoded file and added info through Vorbis tag editor, no problems. Plays ok, seeks are ok.

Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2003, 10:29   #3
Wizard

@Wish:
It happens with every ogg I've made, even old ones! Play with the seekbar and try to remember what you hear and what the time display says at that time. Here's what happens: try to seek with your mouse at 3:00, go back to 1:00 or 2:00 and then return to 3:00. Do that 1 or 2 times and then you'll hear different parts of the song at 3:00!!! Another example: I have a song with duration 3:51. Sometimes when I seek to 3:30, it will play the end of song and then stop.
And what about the different sizes of the files when I add a tag and then remove it? Can you check that, please? For example, I have a file with size 2,704,785 bytes with no tag. I add "a" for title and then remove it. The size is now 2,709,775 bytes! This happens with all files and it didn't happen with earlier versions of in_vorbis.
I have Winamp 2.91 with in_vorbis 1.33 and this only happens to Oggs after I update them. I really don't understand why Foobar plays them correctly

edit: the increased size must have something to do with the changes made to 1.3a but that must be the fault too and Foobar doesn't do that either.

Last edited by Wizard; 21st April 2003 at 11:27.
Old 21st April 2003, 10:34   #4
Wizard

I've found in_vorbis 1.3a and some older Winamps. I'll see what I can find out more...
Old 21st April 2003, 11:03   #5
Wizard

Ok, I found out some things:
1) The problem was introduced in 1.3a
2) All 1.3x versions produce it. It must have something to do with the "prototype tag updater" PP introduced to 1.3a and I hadn't noticed it before because I myself (and probably others) never use Winamp to tag my oggs.
3) Version 1.2.9 updates fine the files, but it can NOT also seek fine with files updated from 1.3x versions
4) Winamp version has nothing to do with it because Winamp 2.81 + in_vorbis 1.3x = , but Winamp 2.81 + in_vorbis 1.29 =
4) It can be more easily produced when you play a few times with the seekbar and go near the end of the file (like 30 seconds before).
5) I repeat: it happens only when you update the tag of oggs with in_vorbis 1.3a or higher.
Old 21st April 2003, 21:06   #6
LIDER

Right! There is stil a major bug in in_vorbis.dll v1.33 . This bug was perfectly described by Wizard. I think it should be fixed very quickly, because mass Ogg files corrution may occur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The plugin, while tagging files, permanently damages them!!! Files changed in that way are unreadable by some other programs! Please, fix that terrible bug
LIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2003, 10:31   #7
Wizard

Quote:
Originally posted by LIDER
The plugin, while tagging files, permanently damages them
Well, that's not true, it does not damage them permanently because if you edit the tag with v1.3x and then edit the tag again with v1.2.9, seeking works again. However, I agree they should fix this quickly or just remove the "prototype tag updater with padding" code and revert to the tagging code of v1.2.9. Even Foobar doesn't use padding with Vorbis tags
Old 24th April 2003, 10:49   #8
LIDER

O, thanks Wizard for the information. To be honest, I have never retag those corrupted files in a previous version of this plugin. I deleted them all and ripped again from CD, because I thought, that they had been permanently damaged. Thanks!!!
But this bug is veryyy!!! iritating. When I wanted to play those files in windows media player, playback stopped rapidly. WMP has never behave like that. I hope, that in Winamp 2.92 this bug will be fixed - it must be fixed!!!
Now I am using version 1.2.9 which works very good, but in that version I cannot mass tag Ogg files, like it was possible in v1.3x
Old 24th April 2003, 12:14   #9
Wizard

Using Garf's tuned oggenc (http://sjeng.sourceforge.net/vorbisgt3.html) with the switch -p4 (which adds a padding of 4 kilobytes for tagging) I got a file with size 9,742,428 bytes. Then, using in_vorbis 1.33 to add a simple letter to the title field, the size became 9,763,502 bytes! Why did it add 18 kilobytes more when the file already had padding? When I used in_vorbis 1.2.9 to remove the tag, the file size became 9,738,289, which is the correct file size without the 4 kilobytes of padding from the encoder.
Old 1st May 2003, 20:17   #10
Wish
Major Dude

<DEATH> tell them to change this
<DEATH> info_.cpp
<DEATH> find cfg_padding
<DEATH> remove cfg_padding variable
<DEATH> and replace it with null everywhere

Thats Peter's suggested fix. We'll just have to wait for an updated in_vorbis.dll.

Update:

Christophe has compiled a new in_vorbis.

http://evildildo.com/blah/in_vorbis.dll

In_vorbis.dll 1.33a, please test this and confirm this issue is fixed.
Old 1st May 2003, 22:19   #11
LIDER

This bug is not fixed!!! I repeat - this bug is NOT fixed! IN_VORBIS v1.33a still has this tagging bug. To be honest - I can't see any changes. It still damages Ogg files - in the same way.

Sorry, but this was not good fix.
Old 2nd May 2003, 11:58   #12
Wizard

The issue is NOT fixed! From what I can tell from Peter's fix, padding was to be eliminated but it's there and seeking is still messed up
Old 19th May 2003, 20:06   #13
LIDER

When I was looking for what this plugin does with files exacly(in hex editor) I found one weird thing: While tagging, all entire structure of the file is being changed! Not only the header of the file, where the tag is located, but changes are made everywhere. I want to ask a question - Why there are so many changes after tagging??? Writting one letter to the tag makes a lot of changes in the file(more than 10kB are being added)!!! I think, that this is much bigger bug, in the source code of this plugin, than just a padding variable. But why is there that bug? Version 1.2.9 was fine! Adding metadata and padding, I think, couldn't have caused that. Someone has changed something directly in the process of tagging. It seems that, after tagging, files have something wrong with their keyframes. The Windows Media Player, while seeking in those Oggs, cannot sometimes find their keyframes - the playback is running but I hear nothing.
Old 20th May 2003, 04:11   #14
Wish
Major Dude

Peter isn't really interested in fixing/updating his WA2 plugins anymore, and without his help, Christophe can't fix it. I'm gonna propose to the team to revert back to 1.2.9 for the next version of Winamp if this isn't solved by then. I'll try to ask Peter to look at this one last time, no guarantees though that anything would come out of it.
Old 28th May 2003, 06:42   #15
LIDER

Implementing the 1.2.9 version of in_vorbis plugin in Winamp 2.92 is not a good idea. Plugin itself is very good, but it is incompatible with winamp library. Firstly, it is imposible to change the tag through the library. By doing Alt+3 it works, but when I want to change the tag by ctrl+e(edit item's information...) I see a"Write error" and I can then press the OK button. Secondary I don't know why with in_vorbis 1.2x the library cannot retrieve the artist information(only artist information) from tags. I found only those two compatibility issues, but I think there will be more. Thats why I was waiting for the fixed 1.3x version, because it is compatible with winamp library. But I would rather want to have incompatible plugin, than corrupted Ogg files. If it is imposible to fix the bug in 1.3x then implementing version 1.2.9 is the only way to eliminate this bug(which, I think, is very important).
Old 28th May 2003, 12:32   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Did you try v1.33 from Winamp 2.92 beta?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2003, 19:42   #17
LIDER

I tried this when it was released. A few weeks ago. I have even tried version 1.33a - in every 1.3x version is that bug. I tried all of 1.3x versions. Not only in Winamp is this bug visible. Even Windows Media Player cannot properly play those files tagged with those versions of in_vorbis.
Old 2nd June 2003, 00:41   #18
chimera

If that peter guy (dunno who he is anyway) doesn't want to look at the winamp 2 plugins anymore, are we screwed for the rest of winamp 2's existance???
chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2003, 15:32   #19
amano
Major Dude

peter pawlowsky, former winamp plugin god. he wasn't really in the winamp team, but made many important plugins, that were bought by nullsoft. at the end of 2002 he was angry about christophe from the nullsoft team, who totally ignored all issues on sound quality that peter reportd. so he decided to stop working on the winamp plugins and started workin on his own player, foobar 2000.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2003, 15:52   #20
chimera

So that's the whole story behind foobar2000. Thanks for pointing that out amano.

I wonder how winamp will turn out then if that christophe guy (who ignores sound quality issues!??!!) is in charge now...
chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2003, 20:28   #21
RIV@NVX

Send a message via ICQ to RIV@NVX Send a message via AIM to RIV@NVX Send a message via Yahoo to RIV@NVX
Quote:
Originally posted by chimera
So that's the whole story behind foobar2000. Thanks for pointing that out amano.

I wonder how winamp will turn out then if that christophe guy (who ignores sound quality issues!??!!) is in charge now...
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter on Hydrogenaudio, Dec 16 2002
to make long story short, i got tired of the way things are done in nullsoft - no main sourcecode access for me, and winamp3 media playback core being designed someone who wrote a janky non-modular player once and now thinks he's leet enough to happily ignore any feedback coming from more experienced people (and major shit not getting fixed between versions). i'm completely abandoning any winamp development (unless as my contract states, some major problem appears in code i got paid for); IMO it will do them better if someone with main sourcecode access replaces me. also, i'm starting to believe that it will do them better if they finally get decent competition in terms of functionality.

DriverHeaven Moderator
kX Product Quality Tester
RIV@NVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2003, 14:44   #22
daven

Send a message via AIM to daven Send a message via Yahoo to daven
woa...is he (peter) suggesting brennan is a shit coder?!? and i hav to agree, it's slightly worrying that a) he's probably not bothered about fixing it, and b) christophe doesnt care about sound quality...

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.
daven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2003, 20:38   #23
amano
Major Dude

hmm. on sawg's winamp stuff site was stated that 2.92 fixed an in_vorbis.dll bug. maybe this bug got fixed???

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 3rd June 2003, 21:01   #24
RIV@NVX

Send a message via ICQ to RIV@NVX Send a message via AIM to RIV@NVX Send a message via Yahoo to RIV@NVX
Quote:
Originally posted by daven
woa...is he (peter) suggesting brennan is a shit coder?!? and i hav to agree, it's slightly worrying that a) he's probably not bothered about fixing it, and b) christophe doesnt care about sound quality...
No.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....284#post781284

DriverHeaven Moderator
kX Product Quality Tester
RIV@NVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2003, 21:28   #25
LIDER

I think, that there are two solutions to solve problems with this plugin:
1. Someone has to excuse Peter and ask him for help in fixing this bug or
2. Forget Peter and write this plugin again from basics without Peter's help. <-- but if so, who will write it?

First solution looks better. Second, I think, is not a good idea, but now it seems to be the only one possible. Peter's plugins were, are and probably will be the best. It would be very good if he returned to nullsoft plugin development. Version 2.92 of Winamp semms now to be released in the far future(because it would be silly to release it with known plugin bug).

One word to amano's reply: READ ALL THE TOPIC!!! In 2.92 is v1.33 of in_vorbis. Even 1.33a has this bug in which it was to be eliminated. This was mentioned in previous replies! Read everything before speaking!!!! On Sawg's Stuff page it has been written "Vendor String Bug" not "Seeking Bug"!!!!! Please people, read everything before speaking.
Old 3rd June 2003, 22:37   #26
amano
Major Dude

read my post. I was asking IF this (=seeking) bug was fixed. not stating THAT it was fixed.

So please READ posts carefully before bashing one for them.

one possible solution is using the 1.2.9 version of the in_vorbis plugin and making it compatible with the library. nullsoft succeeded with 1.3.x, why not with 1.2.9.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 3rd June 2003, 23:45   #27
Christophe
Sexaholic

Here is v1.34:

http://firehose.net/~christophe/in_vorbis.dll

The tag writing is fixed on all the OGG files I've tried it on. Sometimes it's even gonna make the ogg files SMALLER. That's because it re-paginates the ogg stream in a more efficient way.

So test it and report back. AND QUIT WHINING

-Christophe

- time heals but i'm forever broken
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2003, 00:17   #28
amano
Major Dude

thanks big llama master.
Old 4th June 2003, 21:26   #29
LIDER

Good work!!! At least it works fine. I can't see any troubles. This version should be included in Winamp 2.92 Oggs will no longer be corrupted.
Old 4th June 2003, 22:37   #30
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yay!
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 07:19   #31
Christophe
Sexaholic

Thanks guys, and yes, it will be included in 2.92.

-Christophe

- time heals but i'm forever broken
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2003, 23:10   #32
LIDER

Sorry, but now, after tagging few files, it seems that this issue is not completely fixed and the plugin is still corrupting Oggs. See my topic: "in_vorbis v 1.34 may still have a tagging bug "
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports