Old 28th June 2003, 06:49   #1
LIDER

Two minor bugs in Winamp Library or in in_vorbis

Firstly: After changing tags in Oggs in Winamp Library the tag is phisicaly changed but Library shows the old value. Only after compacting library changes are visible instead of MP3s, where changes are made immediately after tagging. I don't know if this is a library bug or plugin bug, but it is quite annoying.

Secondary: Library cannot retrieve unicode characters from Oggs. From MP3s the Library retrieves unicode characters correctly, but from Oggs they are retrieved with rubbish(see unicode.jpg). This seem to be bug in the plugin, but maybe in the Library.

I am using in_vorbis v 1.35. My OS: Windows XP PRO SP1 PL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unicode.jpg (5.1 KB, 861 views)
LIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 08:46   #2
LIDER

I don't know why hardly noone is interested in what I have written? Maybe those bugs are not big, but they are. Noone agreed or disagreed with may observation. Why? I thought that this forum was created to tell programmers if there are any bugs in Winamp. Maybe this forum was created only for major bugs, like that seeking bug with in_vorbis v1.3a-v1.34 and every smaller bug is ignored? Am I right?
Old 5th July 2003, 15:22   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No, every reproducable bug is noted, no matter how big or small.
Okay, so no-one's posted a reply, but the thread has been viewed 120 times.

1. afaik, you need to use "edit item information" in library, not File Info editor.
This way, both library entry and tags (vorbis comments) will both be updated.

Note how in_mp3 has the following config option:
Title/Tags tab -> Tag writing from library . . .
whereas in_vorbis doesn't.

2. I personally cannot reproduce this because I don't have any oggs with Unicode filenames or tags, and my locale is English. Please can you zip and attach a small sample file?
Unicode should be supported with in_vorbis under WinXP.
However, we all know the problems with unicode in the past...

At the end of the day, only Justin/Christophe (and Peter?) can fix things like this. All we forumites can do is bring it to their attention, but if they don't respond....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 09:20   #4
LIDER

Here are two samples - one in MP3 and one in Ogg. Tags include one unicode character which is polish "L". From Mp3 the library retrieves it correctly but from Ogg it doesn't.
There were similar threads(about unicode) but in them from every file winamp couldn't retrieve unicode characters. Now it seems that this issue was eliminated in MP3 files but not in Ogg. My region settings - Center Europe.

It's a pity that in_vorbis doesn't have option to write tags from library. It would be very useful because "Edit item(s) information" is good only for mass tagging not for tagging one file. When using this method it is impossible, for example, to add Lyrics to Oggs. Nevertheless the tag is changed physicaly by library, so it is quite small issue.

Thanks DJ Egg for replying to my thread. Now I see that there are some good people who care for what is said on the forum.
Attached Files
File Type: zip samples.zip (91.1 KB, 632 views)
Old 12th July 2003, 15:53   #5
LIDER

According to this cosmetic bug with tagging in library - I noticed that this happens even in simple playlist. When I change the tag through Alt+3(File info) Winamp still shows the old value. Only when playing or viewing the tag of this file the playlist(or Library) is being updated. Quite annoying, isn't it? MP3's are being updated immediately after tagging so why Oggs not?
Old 30th November 2003, 22:06   #6
LIDER

I have noticed a very strange thing. When the leaked version of Winamp 5 (a1) came into my hand I was nicely suprised that the bug with playlist updating had been fixed. Yes, in that version everything was being updated after changing the tag in Oggs. And I would like someone to tell me - why this bug has been introduced again in Winamp 5 betas? Now I am using Winamp 5.0 RC8 and this bug is still here? This is very strange to me, because it looks, that in_vorbis.dll is 100% fine and this bug is located somewhere else. But where then?
Old 1st December 2003, 01:09   #7
Sawg

it hasn't.
Old 1st December 2003, 22:15   #8
LIDER

Allright, I will check once more. I think that I have somewhere on my disk this version of Winamp. I am sure, that in W5a1 or in W2.95 this bug was eliminated. I remember that I checked this with plenty of Oggs.
This was working fine only in winamp playlist and now it is not working neither in playlist nor in library.
So maybe there will be released a new version of in_vorbis, because there is also newer version of vorbis on www.vorbis.com - v1.0.1 - which, I think, should be included in newest version of Winamp - the final 5.0.
Old 13th December 2003, 06:08   #9
neoPiotr

I have the same problem with Unicode characters in OGG tags. It's very annoying. Please fix it as soon as possible.
neoPiotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2003, 11:27   #10
KitnaIsntHappy

Send a message via ICQ to KitnaIsntHappy
I would like to add that the not displaying unicode characters in vorbis files bug was not present in Winamp 2.x builds.
Another small bug concerning WA5 & Vorbis, in the playlist if you select a vorbis file & right-click & choose 'view file info' the mouse wheel is disabled in the playlist. Selecting an mp3 and choosing 'view file info' restores mousewheel support.
(MS Optical mouse with Intellipoint 4.1 in XP Pro)

Cheers
KitnaIsntHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2003, 13:31   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I've reported the Unicode character issue about 10 times now.
Hopefully it will be fixed. Don't know when though...
(Note: PP would've fixed this in 2 minutes)

I can't reproduce the scrollwheel issue under latest build of Winamp 5.0
Old 22nd December 2003, 20:38   #12
ChaosBlade

Send a message via ICQ to ChaosBlade Send a message via AIM to ChaosBlade Send a message via Yahoo to ChaosBlade
I can confirm this aswell, i recently converted all my cds to Ogg , ditching mp3 for my own reasons .

My hebrew mp3s show fine in the filename and in_vorbis (read: Tag editor), but in the playlist they show as garbage. Knowing this was reported, i hope it gets fixes soon, i wouldnt like to switch players just because of that (winamp5 rocks so much more then foobar) .
ChaosBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 13:42   #13
KitnaIsntHappy

I am still experiencing the scrollwheel issue in 5.01

The scrollwheel function can also be restored by focusing off playlist and focusing on it again e.g click main window then click playlist window.

So anyone testing please load a playlist with both mp3 & ogg files.
Right-click an ogg and choose 'view file info...'
Click close or update.
Mousewheel shouldn't function in playlist.

Right-click mp3 and choose 'view file info...'
Click close or update.
Mousewheel should function again.

Cheers
Old 23rd December 2003, 15:34   #14
ChaosBlade

Send a message via ICQ to ChaosBlade Send a message via AIM to ChaosBlade Send a message via Yahoo to ChaosBlade
Confirmed. But, Enabling the "Non-Blocking Info Editor (Experimental)" Feature under Options > Input > NullSoft Vorbis Decoder fixes this issue .
Old 23rd December 2003, 16:06   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

lol, which is why I could never reproduce the problem, because I checkmarked that option the moment pp introduced it, back in v2.90, iirc.
Old 23rd December 2003, 16:29   #16
ChaosBlade

Maybe without that option, when closing the info editor it doesnt restore focus to the playlist ?
Old 23rd December 2003, 17:58   #17
taira

'winampGetExtendedFileInfo' function of in_vorbis.dll returns UTF-8 string.
taira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 18:05   #18
taira

UTF8 to ANSI conversion is required.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_vorbis_unicode_tag_fix.zip (7.6 KB, 1091 views)
taira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 20:12   #19
UnConeD
Whacked Moderator

You can use MultiByteToWideChar with codepage CP_UTF8 to expand UTF8 to 16-bit Unicode...

UnConeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 20:13   #20
ChaosBlade

Someone Fixed It ? Thats Wonderful !
Ill test it and report back .
If it works, I hope this fix would be incorporated into 5.02

EDIT: Yup, Hebrew Ogg now displays fine. Thanks Alot And A very good work, Taira
Old 23rd December 2003, 21:54   #21
LIDER

Whoaaa! At least! this annoying bug with unicode in vorbis files has been eliminated! It works flawlessly even in library! Thanks to Taira. Now, there is only a bug with updating playlist and library after changing the tag through file info editor.
And sorry guys. It was true that the bug with updating playlist had not been fixed even in W5a1 and in W2.95 . I must have foreseen that. Sorry
Old 8th January 2004, 19:06   #22
Jukke

Quote:
Originally posted by taira
UTF8 to ANSI conversion is required.
Please bear with me, I don't understand what to do, I got the dll, what do I do next? Do I have to register the dll or something? How to I do this utf8->ansi conversion?
Jukke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 20:41   #23
ChaosBlade

I simply extracted the DLL to Winamp\Plugins .. and thats it .
Old 9th January 2004, 07:23   #24
Jukke

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelOfTheFlame
I simply extracted the DLL to Winamp\Plugins .. and thats it .
...and nothing else? Congratulations!

I did the same but nothing changed, still have the same garbage characters from the vorbis files.

But thanks for you reply.
Old 9th January 2004, 12:41   #25
ChaosBlade

Tried playing those files ? or reloading them in the library/playlist ?
Old 12th January 2004, 16:28   #26
Jukke

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelOfTheFlame
Tried playing those files ? or reloading them in the library/playlist ?
AngelOfTheFlame, I take off my hat for you! A reload of the media library did the trick.

When i load the playlist editor with files from the media library, I still got garbage characters, but after I double-click a file in the playlist editor, the song title changes and the garbage characters disappear and are replaced by beautiful high-ascii chars.

The media library still got garbage chars, so I physically moved the files to a temp dir, did a rescan, ended up in an empty media library, changed the options on the media importing tab from default to +meta. Moved the files back to the original folder and did a rescan.

Now the garbage characters are all gone in the media library and the playlist editor. I'm soo happy!

thanks!

Last edited by Jukke; 12th January 2004 at 16:53.
Old 12th January 2004, 17:34   #27
ChaosBlade

Glad i could help, though the honors go to taira for releasing the fix dll
Old 15th January 2004, 13:21   #28
KitnaIsntHappy

"Non-Blocking Info Editor (Experimental)" fixed the scrollwheel problem for me

Thanks
Old 6th February 2004, 20:33   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Update:

Unicode character support is fixed in 5.02 in_vorbis.dll
It is recommended that you remove the gen_vorbis_unicode_tag_fix plugin first.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports