Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 7th February 2004, 04:25   #1
squall14716

Send a message via ICQ to squall14716 Send a message via AIM to squall14716 Send a message via Yahoo to squall14716
After upgrade to 5.02, media library = slow.

I don't know why, but ever since I upgraded to 5.02 from 5.01 circa 15 minutes ago, when I double click on a song in a media library playlist, it takes forever to start playing. At first I shrugged it off and blamed it on me running too many programs, but after a reboot it is doing the same thing. Playing a song from the media library in 5.01 was almost instantaneous, now it takes about 5 seconds. -_-

Any ideas as to what may have caused this?

EDIT: Adding more to this - when just playing a song, Winamp takes up about 5% CPU. When I double click a song in the media library, it skyrockets to about 97%. It's un-fucking-real.
squall14716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2004, 07:23   #2
DeathWing

I'm having this problem too, and it wasn't happening with Winamp 5.01, but it started with Winamp 5.02.

With short playlists, this problem isn't noticeable. However, the longer the playlist gets, the longer the delay is before the song starts playing. With my longest (830 song) playlist, the delay is a good 2-3 sec. long (while with a 10-song playlist it starts playing instantly).

In the Media Library Prefs, in the 'Library Options' tab, in the top box if you uncheck "Play all playlist items..." then the problem stops, but then the entire playlist isn't added to the Playlist Editor. So apparently the problem has something to do with the entire playlist being added from the media library to the playlist editor.

The strange part is, even if you double click another song in the same playlist in the media library, it still does the delay, meaning that it re-adds the playlist every time.

Since this problem wasn't happening w/ Winamp 5.01 (the entire playlist would get added without any noticeable delay, or at least it wouldn't happen if you were staying within the same playlist), I'm assuming that it isn't due to problems specific to my computer.
DeathWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2004, 11:12   #3
MarkRH

Hmmm.. I don't notice anything here. With a 1,515 list in Media Library, I can double-click a song and it loads the whole playlist into the Playlist Editor and starts playing with hardly any delay.. same as 5.01.

One thing I did have to do was Re-enable Hardware Acceleration in the Direct Sound Output plugin.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2004, 12:42   #4
MarkRH

Well, opened mouth too soon.. upon further examination.. I am in fact exhibiting this change in behavior. I changed back to 5.01, and what delay I was having went away. I also noticed a CPU spike of only 33% or so when playing a song. With 5.02, it would jump up to 90% momentarily.

Alot of changes were made to the Media Library and Playlist.. probably more going on behind the scenes than there used to be. Well, back to 5.02 to see if any tweaks can reduce the delay maybe.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2004, 19:14   #5
DeathWing

Yeah, Enabling/Disabling hardware acceleration in the DirectSound Output plugin didn't change anything for me.

And I also found that, after uninstalling 5.02 & installing 5.01, the problem went away.
Old 7th February 2004, 20:10   #6
squall14716

Send a message via ICQ to squall14716 Send a message via AIM to squall14716 Send a message via Yahoo to squall14716
My 1,034 song ML playlist has a 5 second delay when play a song from it - there was no delay in 5.01. This is a sersiously annoying problem.
Old 9th February 2004, 01:10   #7
soljarag

yeah,i'm having the exact same prob... i'm going back to 5.01 till they fix it, and your right, it has something to do with the size of the playlist.... 500 songs .. slight delay... 8,000 songs about 5-7 seconds

but when i re-installed 5.01 there was no delay at all for the 8,000 song playlist
--------

XP 1700+
1 GB ram
Windows XP sp1
soljarag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 11:00   #8
zootm
Forum King

i can replicate this, yes. i don't really use playlists in the media library, so i can't say i noticed it before...

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 18:31   #9
DySPHoRiA

i was just about to report this.
DySPHoRiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 19:12   #10
Qaxar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Qaxar Send a message via AIM to Qaxar
I don't recall any differences between 5.01 and 5.02, but it seems to me that the answer to your concerns is pretty straightforward. When the ML option is set to "play all playlist items on a double click", Then that's what it will do - every time you double click another ML track the entire playlist loads.

So, depending on the length of the playlist and the speed of your PC, the amount of time to perform this process will vary. No mystery there!

If all you want to do is just play the double clicked track, then simply unclick the "play all playlist items on a double click" - as Deathwing suggested earlier.

Under the ML option you might also want to decide whether or not you want the track enqueued.
Qaxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 19:54   #11
squall14716

The problem is, even with this option on in 5.01, there is no delay - it starts playing right when you double click it, and the entire playlist is replaced with the ML playlist - no delays at all. Only after upgrading to 5.02 is there any sort of delay, and after a downgrade back to 5.01, the delay disappears. And yet I haven't changed any options from 5.01 to 5.02. If 5.01 is instant, and 5.02 takes 5 seconds and sends the CPU usage to almost 100%, something is wrong somewhere.
Old 9th February 2004, 20:14   #12
Qaxar
Major Dude

Wish I could be of more help, but I don't have any ideas. In my system, I get no delay, even when I have the "play all playlist items on a double click" selected.
BTW, my specs:
Dell Pentuim 4, 2.4 GHz
I'm using the Modern skin.
Old 9th February 2004, 21:46   #13
King_Tweaker

Yeah I get this too.

I have about 9000 songs listed, with a fast setup, Dual Raptors in Raid 0 and Athlon XP 2.75ghz so its not my PC.

Is there a way to stop the playlist adding thousands of files to the playlist when I select one song from my media library, and only add files I want to add myself manually. This might help with the speed problem I feel.

The slowness isn't as bad when I narrow the songs listed in my media library by typing in an artist for example. Then the song loads instantly when I double click. This is why I think its something to do with the playlist, not as many songs to add to it.

KT
King_Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 22:17   #14
DeathWing

I realize that you can unselect the "play all..." option so it only adds the one song to the playlist editor. But, as it is a playlist, I would like to be able to play a certain number of songs in a row without needing to double click each one. By the same token, I want to be able to skip part of the playlist and play a different song when I feel like it, without having to wait 3 sec. for it to play and bogging down my computer. This was all possible with 5.01, but not with 5.02.

I'm sure it's just a minor bug, since 5.01 was working fine...

As for King's question: well, you can make another playlist with only the songs you want to play. Or you can select the option in the media library prefs, library options tab, "enque the selected item(s)" instead of "play the selected item(s)" (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 9th February 2004, 22:23   #15
Qaxar
Major Dude

You can select any number of multiple tracks from the ML list by holding Ctrl or Shift as is normal in any Windows app. Then place the cursor on any of the selected (highlighted) tracks, right click and "Play selection".
Old 10th February 2004, 18:24   #16
glex

So what explains the speed difference between 5.01 and 5.02?

The delay in starting any one song when selected from the media lib is ~5 seconds and quite annoying. I've re-installed 5.01 to fix it.

(>5000 songs in lib, no hardware bottlenecks)

This is reminsicent of WinAmp3.
glex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2004, 19:16   #17
Qaxar
Major Dude

Are you sure you've UNselected "play all playlist items on a double click". I have about 3000 tracks in my library, and get ZERO delay when selecting an individual track - with 5.02. I experienced no difference between 5.01 and 5.02.
Old 10th February 2004, 19:25   #18
Qaxar
Major Dude

Just had another thought. I have imported all of my playlists to the ML. Note that this is an additional step after "Add media to library". Don't know whether this makes any difference in the delay time for playing a track selected from the ML, but it's something to consider.

I don't plan to test this, since it would require that I delete all the playlists from the ML and re-import them.
Old 10th February 2004, 19:59   #19
squall14716

Let me say this 1 more time.

Download 5.01 and get the settings set up. Have a huge playlist, and play them all. Now upgrade to 5.02. Do not change any settings whatsoever and play all of them again. You'll notice that 5.01 plays them instantaneously and 5.02 has a nice delay.

By huge I mean it needs to be around 1,000+ songs. Trust me, there is a big difference between the speeds of 5.01 and 5.02. I have downgraded to 5.01 until 5.03 is out, at which point I'll probably upgrade and hope that whatever error is in 5.02 is cleared out. For now, I'm going to have to stick with 5.01.
Old 10th February 2004, 22:28   #20
Qaxar
Major Dude

Last time for me also:

Tracks = 2368

Version 5.01
Double click one track from ML
Delay time = 0

Version 5.02 (no change in settings)
Delay time = 0
Old 10th February 2004, 22:51   #21
squall14716

Well, it's a ~5 second delay for me in 5.02.. -_-
Old 10th February 2004, 23:44   #22
glex

And me:

Tracks = 5331

Version 5.01
Delay time = 0

Version 5.02 (no change in settings)
Delay time = 5 seconds
glex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 06:41   #23
DeathWing

The reason I don't consider unchecking "play all playlist items on double-click" to be a valid solution is that i often like to turn on the playlist shuffle for my largest playlist and let winamp go at it for a while.

There may be other, more important problems that need to be solved first, but this is a bug that should eventually be fixed as well, simply because it is an inconvinience, and it should be able to be solved easily since it did not exist in 5.01.
Old 12th February 2004, 08:08   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Alright, calm down folks
Fear not. The whole world is watching.
This issue has been reported.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 13:52   #25
Qaxar
Major Dude

Deathwing,
I'm curious. I assume that you save your playlists. If you want to shuffle through the largest one, why do you not just open the playlist in the playlist editor, rather than using the double click in the ML to do the same thing?
Old 12th February 2004, 23:13   #26
DeathWing

Convinience - the media library is one of the best improvements that winamp 5 made. I put all my playlists under the 'playlist' tree in the left side of the media library so i can access them with one or two clicks. Basically, I'm lazy
Old 12th February 2004, 23:15   #27
squall14716

Exactly! We're all lazy and the media library helps us be that way. Isn't that right?
Old 13th February 2004, 03:02   #28
Qaxar
Major Dude

Ok, Thanks for the info
Old 13th February 2004, 20:18   #29
DySPHoRiA

like if i want a specific song i look through media library because its easier. then it lags hwen i click it. Library of about 1600 songs
DySPHoRiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2004, 20:31   #30
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
I hardly ever use the ML except when I'm trying to edit my playlists in a large group, or change the names of the playlists. Otherwise I just use the normal Playlist editor to select my songs. (This is because I use the MMD3 skin, and I like to have my windows nested in the top of my screen -- I can't do that with the ML)

I'm sure you've all heard the saying "If it hurts the stand up, then don't stand up" (or some version of it). The point being, if there is an annoying delay in the ML, then don't use it! Or just downgrade to v5.01 until the problem is resolved. Either way works just fine.

[@imho] man
[@imho] I had dreams about unit testing last night :-(
[@sim`a] i have nightmares about syntax errors, whats your point
Kickboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2004, 23:24   #31
graigsmith

Send a message via AIM to graigsmith
ALSO... 5.02 seems to skip and (nearly) stop responding while playing 3d games.. 5.01 worked great while i was playing all my 3d games..

i tried a fresh install and that diddn't fix it.
graigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2004, 15:08   #32
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
I havn't been on my computer in a week, so I havn't even used 5.02 until today. (All posts this week were made from school)

My final verdict on 5.02: Resource Hogger

I'm going back to 5.01, as 5.02 really has nothing new I need/want.

[@imho] man
[@imho] I had dreams about unit testing last night :-(
[@sim`a] i have nightmares about syntax errors, whats your point
Kickboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2004, 16:59   #33
Tracy Boehrer

I'm new to this support forum... but I have to wonder if the Winamp crew ever chips in? Rather than everyone just guessing at the problem, it would seem appropriate for Winamp themselves to chime in.

I too went went back to 5.01 because of this and the slow CD ripping problem.
Tracy Boehrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2004, 04:41   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Alright, calm down folks
Fear not. The whole world is watching.
This issue has been reported.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2004, 20:10   #35
vs271

help a newbie here...

i want to uninstall 5.02 and reinstall 5.01. if i take the uninstall winamp found in my comp will that delete the whole program? what about my songs and playlists? will i lose them? Is there a simple way to do this? and where will i find 5.01 to reinstall?
vs271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2004, 15:29   #36
Tracy Boehrer

Follow the directions for the Full Uninstall (somewhere in these forums)... if you don't you'll lose your playlists and custom Media Library views (like I did). You won't lose your songs in any case.
Tracy Boehrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2004, 16:51   #37
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Full Uninstall -> Reinstall procedure
Quote:
You won't lose your songs in any case.
Not necessarily true. Believe it or not, there have been some people that have erroneously saved/placed their media files within the Winamp folder/sub-folders and then they complain about the loss of those files after uninstalling Winamp. And of course it is very unwise to place important files (keepers) within any Windows program folder. Not to say that vs271 has done this, but just in case, move all media files to a folder outside of any Winamp folder/sub-folders before uninstalling.

@vs271...
You can obtain 5.01 here. But also understand that if you look for support here for a previous version of Winamp, we will only tell you to upgrade to the latest version (currently 5.02).

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2004, 17:01   #38
JonnyMac

blah
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2004, 17:08   #39
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
DOH!!
Grrrr... darn crossposters!!!
And I know better. I should have checked.
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 02:46   #40
graigsmith

Send a message via AIM to graigsmith
I have uninstalled fully before.

i uninstalled winamp 5.02 fully, even deleted the whole winamp folder.. and reinstalled.. it still wont work if im inside a game.. it just freezes..

winamp 5.02 is buggy.

after i reinstalled 5.01 my problem is fixed.
graigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support