Old 19th May 2000, 22:31   #1
SONIQUE RULES

EVERYONE WHO HAS WINAMP NEEDS TO CHECK OUT SONIQUE. http://www.sonique.com IT MAKES WINAMP LOOK LIKE IT WAS MADE IN 1980.
Old 20th May 2000, 02:59   #2
beerslayer

Sonique is great for anyone who mistakes bells, whistles, flashy colors, and unusual and non-standard interface for true luxury.

When I installed Sonique a few months ago, and tried using it regularly, sure it looked pretty. But it would invariably crash within an hour or so of being launched, sometimes bringing my whole system down with it. In the whole time I've been using Winamp (well over a year), I've never once had it crash.

And stability is far more important to me than round windows.

Just my $0.02...

-- The Beerslayer
beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2000, 19:38   #3
wishy

Send a message via ICQ to wishy
I definatly agree, sonique is unstable. Besides, what do you want from a MP3 player? Certainly the biggest thing i want from mine is to play music, simply, effectivly, with good reliability and low CPU utalisation. there is a plugin for almost everything, different formats, etc. Skins look great. Equaliser works well and is effective.

What more could you want.
wishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2000, 06:09   #4
Soniqueisforgeeks

Sonique reminds me of that little YakBack gizmo, or perhaps The Final Word from a few years ago (you remember, "Eat sh**!" "You're an a**hole!")....cute for about the first five minutes (if that), and an annoying piece of crap thereafter.
Old 25th May 2000, 03:37   #5
tweeder199

Send a message via ICQ to tweeder199
sonique totally stinks. ive had winamp since its first release... i love it! sonique totally corrupted my files on my computer and had to format (THANKS A LOT!)

well just my two bits.... winamp kicks butt!
tweeder199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2000, 03:12   #6
hawk606
Super Freaky (Alumni)

Send a message via AIM to hawk606 Send a message via Yahoo to hawk606
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tweeder199:
sonique totally stinks. ive had winamp since its first release... i love it! sonique totally corrupted my files on my computer and had to format (THANKS A LOT!)

well just my two bits.... winamp kicks butt!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correction, WinAmp WHIPS THE LLAMA'S ASS!

I knew that if anyone said anything the least bit insulting about winamp, that lots of people would beg to differ and reply in no time...

hawk606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2000, 23:40   #7
K-JoFol

Screw Sonique, that piece of crap, its almost as bad as winamp. Get K-Jofol, its still relatively buggy but it plays any Winamp or Sonique plugin, plus it looks great!
Old 27th May 2000, 00:09   #8
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

ugg. i swear my iq drops ten points whenever i see a post like this. anyone who's used sonique knows that it is one of the crappiest players around.

WinAMP. It Really Whips The Llama's Ass. And Sonique's....
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2000, 08:51   #9
wisanggeni

My SALUTE to SONIQUE maker
I have try SONIQUE as my MP3 player, so many times...as it comes out with new version, or issue my friend's bring me. But please DO! accept my apologies...as it keep screewing around with my system to many times!
...afterall, if you like art, why don't try on makin some cool FLASHIN' STUFF (too!) utility for other purposes.
Exam : Slide viewer.
I believe that would BEAT those REAL SLIDE!
...if you know what I mean
wisanggeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2000, 09:11   #10
FrozenBrassMonkey

I'm with K-JoFol above. Me personally, I'm still with winamp but thats just cause I cant be bothered changing and I always have it shadowed away where I can't see it. BUT if I was going to change it wouldn't be to that piece of slowarse crap Sonique. Get the true graphical master K-Jofol. Wicked skins and fully customizeable and not all commercial like Sonique (and yes I'll admit Winamp)

FrozenBrassMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2000, 09:13   #11
FrozenBrassMonkey

I'm with K-JoFol above. Me personally, I'm still with winamp but thats just cause I cant be bothered changing and I always have it shadowed away where I can't see it. BUT if I was going to change it wouldn't be to that piece of slowarse crap Sonique. Get the true graphical master K-Jofol. Wicked skins and fully customizeable and not all commercial like Sonique (and yes I'll admit Winamp)

FrozenBrassMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2000, 19:50   #12
old and quite mad
Major Dude

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SONIQUE RULES:
EVERYONE WHO HAS WINAMP NEEDS TO CHECK OUT SONIQUE. http://www.sonique.com IT MAKES WINAMP LOOK LIKE IT WAS MADE IN 1980.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sonique also writes a few lines in a little ol' file called the REGISTRY whenever you start it.
It looks cool; the Edsel looked cool also.
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2000, 07:02   #13
hydrogenated

I've used Winamp for a couple years now. I don't see a need to even try sonique. Winamp plays MP3s and many other sound files and does it well. if you don't like the look of winamp, download some skins or better yet: make our own!
hydrogenated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2000, 22:58   #14
k6

The trouble with Sonique is that no one is writing plug-ins for it. Personally, I like to control my music remotely from across the room; I find it very useful be able to use the Wide and Dynamix plug-in to maintain all my tracks at the same relative level while I'm working, etc., etc. None of these things are possible with Sonique
k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2000, 23:30   #15
DeLiRiUmLB

yeah sonique plugin writing isn't very popular. if you go to the sonique site, you can see that nobody has written a good one in a while. i'm glad that at least a few people write some good ones for winamp.
DeLiRiUmLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2000, 13:07   #16
Graoul

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K-JoFol:
Screw Sonique, that piece of crap, its almost as bad as winamp. Get K-Jofol, its still relatively buggy but it plays any Winamp or Sonique plugin, plus it looks great! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am sure that K-Jofol may be very good - but there are so many bugs that it is virtually unusable at the moment. Anyhow the first time I downloaded it It wouldn't even install - it said that there was an invalid paramater in InstallWise. Personally I am going to stay with WinAMP - it's the least buggy MP3 player, it's got loads of skins and plugins, and it's not made by Microsoft.
:-)
Old 13th June 2000, 04:16   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What I want to know is :

Who allowed Sonique's programmer to post an ad here in the first place ?

Anyway, it was a pretty lame attempt !

Take it from me . . . Winamp really does "Whip the Llama's Ass" . . . and Sonique's, K-Jofol's, MusicMatch's, Real's, MediaPlayer's . . . etc . . . too !

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2000, 21:09   #18
Shogun

In Sonique there is two big problems: 1) it has a very messy user interface, and 2) it sounds crappy. Sonique used to sound better than Winamp's built-in mp3 decoder, but the new aE4 decoder in Sonique is as poor as Winamp's decoder.

Winamp's main problem is that it does NOTHING well. It has a crappy mp3-decoder, crappy equalizer, crappy mod-player, etc... Configuring the plugins that make it sound good is also a pain in the butt as that interface is so messy.

One of the few thing Winamp does well is the engine for plugins. You can fix crappy sound with better decoders.

Sound output in Winamp is also very poorly implemented. Shutting down the output between files causes the unfamous gap. And not releasing the output on pause is centainly the LAMEST thing i've seen for a long time. And once again you have to dig for a plugin to try to fix the problems.

I haven't tried K-Jöfol out, maybe I should? But from the discussion I've seen here it is just like Sonique - pretty but crappy.

At the moment there is only one way to go for mp3 listening, Winamp fixed with a set of plugins, most important of which is the mpg123 decoder plugin.
Old 13th June 2000, 21:51   #19
shoopity

Almost all you people make me laugh. It's a stinkin' program that allows you to play MP3 files. Get whatever you like. If you like flashy colors, go for Sonique. If you like minimum CPU usage, K-jfol. It's funny because I personally haven't had any major problem w/ any of the MP3 players. Where one MP3 player messes up in a song, another player plays it fine. The only MP3 player that I have that has never messed up, crashed, or even skipped (I have one song that every player jumps over a certain section) is my RIO portable MP3 player. Now, I admit I'm not very knowledgable, but even the Rio manager skips over that section of that one song, but the portable player plays it just fine. I realize that the Rio is hardware based, but hardware without software is just a "blinking box," so why can't they use whatever the Rio has? I also realize that the Rio is doing no multitasking, but the Rio runs off one AA battery and doesn't have a P II, an AMD K-6/2, an Atholon, or anything.
Old 14th June 2000, 00:48   #20
old and quite mad
Major Dude

The only MP3 player that I have that has never messed up, crashed, or even skipped (I have one song that every player jumps over a certain section) is my RIO portable MP3 player. Now, I admit I'm not very knowledgable, but even the Rio manager skips over that section of that one song, but the portable player plays it just fine. I realize that the Rio is hardware based, but hardware without software is just a "blinking box," so why can't they use whatever the Rio has? I also realize that the Rio is doing no multitasking, but the Rio runs off one AA battery and doesn't have a P II, an AMD K-6/2, an Atholon, or anything.[/B][/QUOTE]

AHA!!!
What do the High Llamas have to say to this gentleman's point? (and a good point it is)
Old 22nd June 2000, 23:35   #21
kilgore

Hi everyone!

If you prefer browsing the web with a browser and playing mp3 files with an mp3 player, stop using winamp. I've been using it for a long time, but, you know, if after years of development their Nitrane decoder still has the same stupid bug it already had in the first release, it's time to look for a player, that concentrates on sound quality instead of integrating a browser and other stupid useless things. If you want sound quality go try Apollo. If you're not concerned about hearing what the artist wanted you to hear, you might as well continue using winamp.
Old 23rd June 2000, 00:26   #22
Brad

Send a message via ICQ to Brad
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kilgore:
If you're not concerned about hearing what the artist wanted you to hear, you might as well continue using winamp.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man... no artist on a major label wants there music to be heard on .mp3 with Winamp.

And one more thing, if anyone else out there who has a huge library like me (well over 2,000 songs) then they know that Winamp's playlist far exceeds the meak capabillities that Sonique's displays. Try adding a library like that to Sonique and see if it stands up to the test. Its inability to remain stable and avoid crashes when large libraries are added to a playlist was the reason I went back to Winamp, a real mp3 player that focusses on quality, not circular windows.

------------------
- Brad Cherry
brad.cherry@home.com
bradchery@aol.com
AIM: bradchery

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2000, 01:02   #23
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

So winamps sound might not be exactly perfect, it sounds close enough. If you can really tell the difference, just turn the volume up on everything so you start going deff.

Visually, sonique is the better player than winamp. It has real nice looking skins that are very creative. You dont see winamp skins being that good looking. But, in my eyes, that is the ONLY plus side to it. Who really keeps their player on top all the time? Most people minimize it (sonique can't go in the system tray, can it) and go on with whatever.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2000, 02:43   #24
old and quite mad
Major Dude

Ice, I wouldn't even go so far as to call sonique "better looking", because its skins change the shape AND interface of the damned thing.
Sometimes, depending on the skin, it may look "better" than a particular winamp, but throw Sepish (shameless plug for OUTSTANDING skin by KaMi) on a winamp and reconfigure Sonique and two things happen. You may get a butt-ugly looking sonique, and all the controls just moved.
Some of the readme files with their skins even state that not all the controls or features are enabled, apparently because of limitations imposed BY THE SKIN.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 23rd June 2000, 04:12   #25
Brad

Send a message via ICQ to Brad
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by old and quite mad:
Sorry for the rant.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't be.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2000, 18:08   #26
Shogun

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kilgore:
Hi everyone!

Nitrane decoder still has the same stupid bug it already had in the first release, it's time to look for a player, that concentrates on sound quality instead of integrating a browser and other stupid useless things. If you want sound quality go try Apollo.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't agree with you more about sucky sound quality. However Apollo 32 has the SAME DAMN BUG that both Sonique and Winamp have!!!

Get the 2 test mp3's from http://www.sulaco.org/mp3/winamp/winamp.html
and just listen!

Winamp, Sonique, and Apollo all FAIL!!

If you want good sound quality from mp3 player, DO NOT USE any of those, they are CRAPPY!

Use mpg123 instead, or mpg123 based decoder plugin for Winamp, http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopol...in_mpg123.html
Old 25th June 2000, 02:31   #27
JarC

Send a message via ICQ to JarC
Just do an FTP search for winamp222.exe

It is the last version to contain the Fraunhofer decoder. I installed it on a test machine (don't trust it to screw up the current 2.6x installation...) and extracted the IN_MP3.DLL...

compared to this one the new one sounds like it's playing a vinyl record...one too many times...

Raj
JarC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2000, 12:49   #28
Yonathan Gal

Winamp whips the llama's ass!

Sonique is lame and all loks pretty, if you are a puff then go ahead, use it and screw ur machine up.. Winamp is and always has been, always will be the best! It's team are just so dedicatd to what they do, they have such enthausiasm that it will always be the best...

Right, Nuff Said

------------------
Winamp Rules!!
----------------
Yonathan Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2000, 11:01   #29
Teufel Diener

Aaaarrrggg!!!!

Mecagum deu en la creu, en el fuster que la feu i en el fill de punta que va
plantar el pi, en Sonique! Ves a parir mones en ves-te'n a prendre pel cul, Sonique!

------------------
Striking up my discordant underture
A carnal cacophony, perversely penned
Transposed... and decomposed
Teufel Diener is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports