Old 22nd December 2005, 19:29   #1
vbonin

Memory leak by play back

I am experiencing a memory leak with Winamp 5.12 (fresh install, no plugins whatsoever). The leak occurs upon playback of any Shoutcast stream, (eg http://www.somafm.org/tagstrance.pls).

The leak is severe, letting Winamp play overnight fills up the Windows page file by 50%.

I am running Windows XP Professional (sp2), DirectX 9.0c, on a Shuttle SN95G5 v3 (nVIDIA nForce3 chipset) / AMD Athlon 64 X2 / 1 GB RAM. Using NVIDIA's on-board audio codec inteface with latest Microsoft and NVIDIA drivers.

Has anybody experienced this?

Thanks,

Vincent
vbonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 23:08   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Nope, can't reproduce this. No such problems here.

Note, I've previously had sc streams running for a lot longer than shown in my attached screenshot, eg. 8 hours or more, and I've never experienced any memory issues before. Also note that (in my screenshot) VM was the same before starting and after stopping the stream, ie. it hardly changed at all throughout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wa_vm.jpg (88.6 KB, 1065 views)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2005, 17:06   #3
vbonin

did you look at page file usage?

The memory usage does not increase over time but the page file usage does. It returns to normal as soon as I quit winamp.

Thanks,

Vincent
vbonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 21:56   #4
amdaddict

i have been experiencing the same problem in 5.12. i can confirm that it can cause very, very serious issues if you, like me, leave shoutcast streams running in the background.

if i leave a shoutcast stream running for a very long time (longer than 8 hours), windows xp will show that VM Size has gone up greatly. Page Faults are also high, but this has always been the case so it's probably not important.

i noticed this problem a couple days ago when i had left a 64k stream running for a couple of days (not even close to my record of over 10 days with earlier versions of winamp). when i noticed the problem and closed winamp, it took several minutes (at least 5, probably more like 10-15; it was late and i was doing other things and i don't remember) to deallocate all the memory it had sucked up -- some 400mb worth. not fun.

it seems to be most pronounced when dealing with medium- to high-bitrate shoutcast streams (the one i prefer is a 64k stream, though the servers have been a bit iffy these past couple of days and so i have taken the opportunities to restart winamp frequently).

this is a real problem, it is a serious issue, and it has been introduced sometime between versions 5.1 and 5.12. if developers intend winamp to be usable for streaming shoutcast streams over long periods of time this should be addressed asap.
amdaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 10:42   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, I'm really not sure what's going on there, but I still can't reproduce the problem.

Attached screenshot (apologies for the poor quality, but I needed to get it down to under the 100kb attachment limit) shows Winamp 5.12 after playing a 96k stream for 10 hours.

Note, the streamed data is buffered into memory. That's how streaming works.

Page File / Winamp VM usage never increased much throughout the whole 10 hours (it actually got less), and VM was released instantly on Winamp exit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wa_vm2.jpg (98.6 KB, 1220 views)
Old 12th January 2006, 07:08   #6
amdaddict

not sure how to respond other than to say that this is still going on for me. as well, finally the servers for my preferred stream and my connection have cooperated to let me stream for long periods again and so i have taken a few screenshots.

apart from the doddering bloated carcass of a browser that is firefox version 1.5 (where did those guys learn to code, anyway? -- still beats ie tho) and the winamp vm usage everything looks pretty good to me. i should note that if i minimize the winamp window physical memory usage goes instantly down to about 4m but virtual doesn't change. vm has clearly gone up since i started winamp, when it was about 30m. haven't closed this instance so i have no idea how long it'll take to deallocate all that.

not as bad as the last time memory usage got that high but i haven't been listening as long either. page faults (always high with winamp) were about 54m then and now only 10m. clearly there's some sort of leak here, however slow, since i didn't notice this in the last release i used, 5.1. with nothing else in my playlist but one shoutcast station winamp shouldn't need more than 100mb, you would think.

to go with the actual hard data, some system specs:

athlonxp 1800 at 1533mhz
512mb system main memory
80gb hard drive
c-media cmi8738/c3dx pci sound device, driver version 5.12.1.644 dated 3/28/2002
winamp 5.12, no added plugins, configured for directsound output to the c-media onboard excuse for a proper sound card, with hardware acceleration enabled

i'd clearly like to see something done about this but there's an obvious workaround (restart winamp) so it's probably going to be pretty low priority. still, i like seeing how high i can get that little counter to go, even if its digits do start to get cut off....
Old 12th January 2006, 18:45   #7
dianos

Also athelonXP here with 2Gigs of memory, win2k3, after leaving winamp running (not playing) music it leaks memory, Had over 470Megs of virtual memory used when returing to the system after under 2 days. Previous version I've used 5.04 or something like that didn't have this problem.
dianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2006, 18:48   #8
dianos

tried all the standard reboots etc, going back to the previous version. Hopefully will be fixed soon.
dianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2006, 21:16   #9
amdaddict

closed winamp today after the servers died. pagefile usage started at 217m, quickly dropped to 200m and held steady. physical usage spiked down to 4m but slowly climbed back up to 152m, upon which all memory was released. this whole process took 4min 42sec. reloading winamp usage was 14m physical / 23m virtual.

seems like there's got to be some leak somewhere.
Old 12th January 2006, 22:01   #10
DrO

i've tried with a shoutcast stream running for a few hours and my memory levels stayed near enough the same (went up/down a few 10k at times) but i never saw anything wrong. going on what dianos has mentioned, i should have seen at least a 15Mb+ increase in mem usage based on the time i ran the stream.

my specs: Win2k Pro SP4 + Rollup + Updates / Athlon 64 3000+ @ ~3120+ / 1Gb DDR 400 / Winamp 5.12 (not a clean install but my main dev install with plugin listing attached) / DigiFire 7.1 soundcard / Geforce4 Ti 4200 (all the nVidia display driver crap disabled)

so from what i can see, something special has to be on your boxes maybe there's a rogue systemwide dll present, i can't really say but i can't reproduce this increase either (especially not the extra long shutdown time)

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (4.4 KB, 1553 views)
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 18:32   #11
buhd

I have the same issue, but I've narrowed it down.

This has happened multiple times to me but to repro it here's what I've done.

Connect to a shoucast stream, let it play. Keep the playlist window open in windowshade mode. Without the playlist window open AND in windowshade mode I don't see this behavior. Give it five seconds or so and watch task manager's VM column for winamp.exe, it goes up in 4k chunks about every second.

Give me a shout out when it's fixed... it kinda sucks, makes me not want to use winamp.

-Buhd
buhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 18:52   #12
DrO

"Keep the playlist window open in windowshade mode. Without the playlist window open AND in windowshade mode I don't see this behavior." that's rather contradicting and not very clear as to what you mean...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 18:52   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

"Keep the playlist window open in windowshade mode. Without the playlist window open AND in windowshade mode I don't see this behavior"

Sorry, but I'm trying to make sense of that statement.
The 2nd sentence seems to totally contradict the first one.

Please state the exact steps to reproduce this alleged bug.

eg.

Winamp 5.12 Full - clean install - no 3rd-party plugins
step 1. do this
step 2. do that
step 3. play this
etc

We can't fix something that we cannot reproduce.

[edit] doh! Dro got in before me, heh. [/edit]
Old 24th January 2006, 19:42   #14
buhd

What I'm saying is that the leak only occurs with the playlist window in windowshade mode. If you have the playlist window open full then the leak doesn't show up.

I have no third party plug-ins and I even removed a bunch of the in box ones to see if they were the culprit.

1. Do a clean install of Winamp 5.12
2. Open a shoutcast stream
3. Open the playlist window
4. Put playlist window in windowshade mode
5. Wait 5-10 seconds
6. Open task manager
7. In task manager click View->Select Columns...
8. Check 'Virtual Memory Size' column
9. Locate winamp.exe in the list
10. Observe 4k virtual memory increases every second or so.

Plug-ins I have
---------------
Input: (default install)
Output: (default install) out_ds selected (sound card explicitly set)
Vis: vis_avs.dll
DSP: (none)
General Purpose: Modern Skins, Global Hotkeys, Jump to File Extra
Old 24th January 2006, 21:23   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Nope, still no-one on the dev or beta team can reproduce this.
VM Size stays the same for me/us.

Where are you opening the stream from?
The media library, a bookmark in winamp, an already existing playlist entry, or
directly from a website, eg. shoutcast.com?
Does it happen with all streams, or just one or two in particular?
If via the ML (Online Media > Shoutcast Radio), then is the Station Info browser enabled?
(Winamp > Prefs > Station Info)
What skin are you using? Winamp Classic or Winamp Modern?

Also note that we're all using 5.2beta
Old 25th January 2006, 14:41   #16
buhd

So um... why wouldn't you try reproducing it with 5.12? At least then you could narrow it down and know for sure whether it was fixed with 5.2 or whether it's just been masked with 5.2 and manifests itself in some other way.

I'm playing the 96k DI.fm Trance channel opened from the link on their website directly. I uninstalled the media library plug-in just to see if that was causing the leak so I'm not even touching that. I'm using the Winamp Modern Skin, set to 60% opacity with 'Opaque on hover' selected. 'Desktop alpha blending' is also enabled.
Old 25th January 2006, 15:35   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

We did test it with 5.12 a few weeks back, when this thread was first started.
However, we didn't test using that criteria (modern skin opacity, winshade, etc),
which I'm going to try now...

[edit] nope, no problems here [/edit]
Old 25th January 2006, 16:31   #18
buhd

Ok I uninstalled completely, re-installed from scratch winamp512_full_emusic-7plus.exe

Unselected these options in install:

Winamp Agent
Winamp Library
User Interface Extension
|
|--- Nullsoft Tray Control
Audio File Support
|
|--- Sonic Ripping/Burning support
Visualization
|
|--- Nullsoft Tiny Fullscreen
|--- Milkdrop

I Unchecked all association icons on the next wizard page.

After install I put the playlist window in windowshade mode. Associated winamp with 'All Audio' from the Preferences dialog. Closed Winamp.

Went To DI.fm, Clicked the 96k trance pls

Watched Task Manager as it repro'd.

Could it be the particular sound card? The system is a Dell Preceision 670 with Soundmax Integrated Audio. I'm running XP SP2 fully patched with the latest sound card drivers. I changed no other settings within Winamp on this install.
Old 25th January 2006, 17:39   #19
buhd

It looks like shoutcast may have nothing to do with it. I just closed Winamp and then played a local mp3 and was seeing the same behavior.

Also it looks like Winamp doesn't have to be playing to see the behavior either. If my shoutcast stream lost connection and Winamp stopped playing then it was still ticking up the VM. Also if I just open Winamp without playing anything it starts to happen. It seems to take a little longer to get started happening but eventually it starts ticking up the VM at about 4k every second.
Old 26th January 2006, 23:24   #20
starfoxmac

Send a message via AIM to starfoxmac
I'd like to confirm this happening on my system playing a regular mp3. Winamp 5.12, installed over the previous version. Maybe there are a few extra input plugins, but the install is pretty stock. System details in a crop of my DxDiag, attached. I'll check this board again.

ATM, this page is the top google result for winamp 5.12 memory by the way
starfoxmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 00:26   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Your report is invalid if there's ANY non-default plugins present:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=228915
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=229489

If someone could confirm whether they still experience this problem in 5.2beta
then it will most certainly be looked into further.

If it does, then we will need all of the following:
-Confirmation of a clean install
-Dxdiag log
(sorry starfoxmac, but yours didn't attach properly)
-HijackThis log
-A link to a zipped mp3 file where the problem occurs
(maybe it's something caused by the encoder/tags?)
-Full method of reproduction
We need all of these things together, in one post/attachment.

Full details of required info

Note, we still can't reproduce anything...
but that doesn't mean there isn't an issue under some systems/criteria.
Though if the problem doesn't exist in 5.2 beta, then it's already fixed.

Quote:
ATM, this page is the top google result for winamp 5.12 memory by the way
Hmm, not for me.
Though most of the results tend to refer to this entry from the 5.04 changelog:
-Fixed memory leak on MP3 files with messed up ID3v2 tags
Old 27th January 2006, 15:27   #22
buhd

This still repros for me in 5.2 build 365 clean install.

There is no need to include an mp3 because you can repro this without playing anything and without even having an entry in your playlist window. Simply open winamp, ensure that your playlist window is in windowshade mode and then wait for 30 seconds (just to be safe) then watch the VM size column in task manager. There are no other steps to repro. I can do this from a cold boot and repro this.

THe only difference between having an entry int he playlist window and not having an entry in the playlist window is that the VM size ticks up at a slower rate if you do not have any entries in the playlist window.

I have a clean system, at startup I have an anti-virus program and that's it. I'm not posting a HiJack this log because it contains too much information about my machine that would not be useful anyway. A DxDiag log is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dxdiag.txt (43.9 KB, 1751 views)
Old 27th January 2006, 16:02   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Ok, I can see Mem Usage (physical ram) incrementing at 4 or 8k every sec or so, but not VM Size.

Open Winamp
Modern skin > playlist in winshade mode
(doesn't matter what other winamp windows are open, all or none)
wait 30 secs, open Task Mgr... etc

So, is everyone who's posted in this thread using the Winamp Modern skin
with the playlist window in winshade mode?
Old 27th January 2006, 19:09   #24
starfoxmac

Send a message via AIM to starfoxmac
Uninstalled milkdrop, then winamp. Erased program files\winamp. Installed winamp 5.2.0365 beta full; deselected Agent & Tray.
After installation, Winamp starts up (modern skin, as per install default), with Main and PL and ML open. The Llama Whippin Intro plays once. The Task Manager shows winamp.exe, 7,664 K Mem Usage, 34,584 K Peak Mem Usage, 29,052 K VM Size. Note I have 2GB physical and 0 swap. I erase DJ Mike Llama from the PL list, windowshade the main window and PL, and close the ML. Five-ish minutes go by. Now the Mem Usage and VM size are increasing in lockstep. Though winamp has been doing nothing, the Mem Usage is now up to 12,500 K and increasing by 4 K or more almost every update tick (on Normal speed). A few minutes later, I try un-windowshading the PL. The mem usage spikes by a few megs, drops back down after a few seconds, and then stabilizes - relatively constant - still changing infrequently, but definitely not jumping up ~4K/s. I windowshade the PL again, and the mem usage starts to climb again like clockwork.

A cookie problem owned my attachment. Should be here now. I think I left everything important in there, except I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo.

This is still my top google hit ... wtf, is google customizing its results?
Attached Files
File Type: txt dxdiag.txt (2.3 KB, 990 views)
starfoxmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 19:19   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Ok, we've reproduced the modern skin pledit winshade memory issue.
Old 27th January 2006, 20:05   #26
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Please let us know if it's fixed in the next public beta of 5.2 (probably coming soon).

I can no longer repro it with latest internal gen_ff.dll

(Note: bug fixed = memory leak with Modern skin playlist in winshade mode).
Old 30th January 2006, 15:33   #27
buhd

Awesome, thanks for working through this with us DJ E.
Old 3rd February 2006, 14:31   #28
ynaught

Seems fixed...

I looked to the forum after 5.12 did not fix the memory leak I was seeing (first noticed in 5.11), and found this thread.

I WAS NOT using shoutcast streams, but playing locally stored mp3 files and would see Winamp dump 300MB of VM when I'd finally close it.

I WAS using modern skin, always windowshaded.

The 5.2 beta seems to have fixed the problem.
ynaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports