Old 18th October 2007, 19:06   #41
kefka900

KeyControl worked for me too. Anyway to make a pause/play function. So it pauses if playing, plays if paused? But thanks a million for this plugin. Vista/MS KB/Winamp users unite!
kefka900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 21:04   #42
rseiler

OK, so I tried KeyControl again, this time actually getting the right one (h**p://www.techatplay.com/2006/10/01/keycontrol).

But a question to all those who say Play/Pause now works: Is that only with Winamp up and visible or with it minimized to the tray as well?

It only works for me when Winamp is up and visible. When it's on the tray, pressing the button merely raises Winamp, something I don't want. Sure, I can press the button again right then and minimize Winamp, but that's silly. It should work regardless of Winamp's state.
rseiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 01:15   #43
Mr.Jester

This worked for me too. Thanks much for pointing it out.

http://www.techatplay.com/2006/10/01/keycontrol

It allows you to set ANY key to ANY winamp function.
Mr.Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 02:23   #44
joshg253

KeyControl v1.02 (winamp.com/plugins/details/150926) works perfectly for me with my Microsoft multimedia keyboard and Winamp 5.5 on Windows Vista Ultimate (x86).

Play/Pause functionality:
In the KeyControl configuration dialog (under 'Plug-ins -> General Purpose' in Winamp Preferences), click in the Keys box, press your play/pause button, select 'Pause' from the Actions drop-down box, click Add, click Ok, done.

_josh
joshg253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 02:26   #45
rseiler

BUT, does Play/Pause work when Winamp is on the tray, as opposed to visible? See my question above.
Old 19th October 2007, 03:49   #46
kefka900

Quote:
Originally posted by rseiler
BUT, does Play/Pause work when Winamp is on the tray, as opposed to visible? See my question above.
I tried out his play/pause idea up there, works great. I have mine docked on top and on auto hide and my play/pause button works as it should.

I just undocked mine and minimized it to the tray, hit pause/play a few times and the winamp window never showed for me /shrug.
kefka900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 04:04   #47
rseiler

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder what the variable could be? I have IntelliType Pro, as usual, on the normal "play and pause" setting for that key. Have Global Hotkeys disabled (not that you can enable it for this key). Um....
Old 21st October 2007, 00:09   #48
DrO

Clarification Needed

Right, trying to follow what has been said in this thread (and a few of the other related ones) means that i'm confused as hell over what people are wanting as a fix.

From my experience i can associate the media keys on the keyboard i have to what's defined by default in the global hotkeys preference page. Am i right in assuming that this won't work for people with intellitype/whatever else due to them already being registered to a hotkey action or just not being recognised when attempting to set them in the winamp plugin preferences?

Now i see talk of 2 different plugins apparantly working, dimin's and the keycontrol (though seems to be to different degrees of success - i couldn't get keycontrol to work but dimin's does only if winamp is focused)

The point of asking this is because i've currently got a build of gen_hotkeys which with the existing behaviour, also supports the WM_APPCOMMAND style message notification for the media keys (and on testing does so irrespective of which winamp window or other app window is focused). However, since there's a mass of confusion over what is or isn't meant to be happening with the reaction to those keys, i've no idea if what i've implemented is even going to deal with the issues or not. So if some clarity can be offered then i'm sure i can offer out some private test builds to see if we're on the right line for an end to this all.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 01:53   #49
rseiler

Re: Clarification Needed

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
From my experience i can associate the media keys on the keyboard i have to what's defined by default in the global hotkeys preference page. Am i right in assuming that this won't work for people with intellitype/whatever else due to them already being registered to a hotkey action or just not being recognised when attempting to set them in the winamp plugin preferences?
The latter. And note that this IntelliType/Winamp issue only appears in Vista. This combo was not an issue in XP that I can recall, though long ago with some older versions of Winamp in XP I do think this sort of problem has appeared.

Here's what Winamp does when you try to enable Global Hotkeys under these conditions:
h**tp://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6131/hktc9.png

And what it looks like afterwards:
h**p://img153.imageshack.us/img153/382/hk2ug2.png

Quote:
Now i see talk of 2 different plugins apparantly working, dimin's and the keycontrol (though seems to be to different degrees of success - i couldn't get keycontrol to work but dimin's does only if winamp is focused)
I didn't spend long with dimin's, but I couldn't get it to do anything. Keycontrol eventually did work for me, but as I mentioned above--and as you found with dimin's--it would only Play/Pause when Winamp was focused and not on the tray. One person seemed to confirm that he didn't have this issue.

Quote:
The point of asking this is because i've currently got a build of gen_hotkeys which with the existing behaviour, also supports the WM_APPCOMMAND style message notification for the media keys (and on testing does so irrespective of which winamp window or other app window is focused).
That's what I've been hoping for: the way Winamp used to work for me is that Play/Pause would work wherever Winamp was and whatever state it was in, and Winamp never did anything as a result of pressing that key except play or pause.

If there's something to test, I'll volunteer.
Old 21st October 2007, 11:27   #50
rp71284

Since the Winamp developers and mods on this board don't really care about Vista, here's the only fix:

1. Use Windows Media Player @ stick it to Winamp.
2. Use iTunes and stick it to Winamp & MS.
3. Disable itype.exe on Startup, then run Winamp, set your Global Hotkeys, THEN run itype. As long as you don't close Winamp, your keys are safe.
rp71284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 12:04   #51
DrO

rp71284: did you bother to read what i posted above since i'm trying to resolve the issue (since it's only a thing a can can do anyway) without having to open/close things and all that (and despite having code access i shouldn't even be fixing things like this since it's outside of the remit of my contract but then again so has a lot of the work i've done on the versions from around 5.33 up)

rseiler: pm sent

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 19:23   #52
johngalt

OK, here is the deal. Using WinAmp 5.5x on Windows Vista Ultimate. Not running WinAmp with any kind of compatibility fix / update. M$ KB w/ Fingerprint Reader, Itype v6.

I installed the KeyControl 1.02 plugin for WinAmp, defined the 4 keys used on my M$ KB w/ Fingerprint Reader, then restarted WinAmp. My keys now work, with the exception that there is no way to Pause (KeyControl only allows a single function per key, and there is no mixed Play / Pause function).

I then rebooted my machine - same deal. Everything works like it is supposed to, again except for the fact that there is no pause function.

HTH
johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 19:28   #53
rseiler

Play/Pause is the main one killing me too. Hey, try 5.51 Build 1741 Beta and see how it goes (sans KeyControl, of course, which never worked for me). The release notes sound a bit promising:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...l/1066336873/1
Old 4th December 2007, 22:05   #54
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Official Winamp 5.51 (build 1741) Beta Discussion thread. Contains full change log, download links and notes about new features/options.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 01:53   #55
rtcpenguin

I posted this thread almost a year ago and remembered about it earlier today when I realized how much I missed the 'j' (jump to) function in Winamp since I've been using WMP11.

The beta version in J_Darnley's link works for me when I enable the WM_APPCOMMAND option (first checkbox under preferences -> global hotkeys). The only issue I can think of is this might affect video during gameplay (which is why I use the media keys in the first place) because of the little popups for song changes/pausing winamp has now. I would imagine this could be avoided by disabling those notifications if there is an option.

Good job Winamp team.
rtcpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 10:40   #56
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Have you looked at the menus? The location of where to disable the notifications does vary between skins (because it is the skin's job to do it). In Bento the notification settings can be accessed from the Options menu -> Notifications. For all skins, the settings should be accessible from in Prefs -> Skins -> Modern Skins -> Current Skin tab -> Skin Options Menu button.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 20:07   #57
Dingens

Hey
still not working for me, sorry.
I have the latest winmap version, and I have intellitype software installed under Vista.
When I go to preferences--> Global hotkeys and check the first box (the WM_APPCOMMAND option) the multimedia keys on my keyboard still show no effect (I restarted Winamp). When I click both check boxes in the Global Hotkey dialog, Winamp tells me that it failed to register the Hot Keys.
What is going wrong?
Thanks
Rolf
Dingens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 20:25   #58
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by Dingens
I have the latest winmap version, and I have intellitype software installed under Vista.

...When I click both check boxes in the Global Hotkey dialog, Winamp tells me that it failed to register the Hot Keys.
What is going wrong?
Rolf...

Before you posted above, had you gone back and read the first page of this thread where Sawg was quoted as saying this? ...

Originally posted by Sawg
Not really a Winamp issue. If something has keys registered, Winamp cannot register them it's self. Uninstall the Intellitype stuff and just use Winamp's global hotkey options.

So, in your case, why not try that? What Sawg said makes perfect sense, so see if it works for you. It should.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 20:38   #59
rseiler

Except Intellitype Pro has a function we'd like to keep, and it got along perfectly well with Winamp under XP. Winamp needs to adjust, as was acknowledged a while back. It just hasn't happened yet, and given the amount of time that's passed, may never.
Old 27th December 2007, 21:19   #60
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Ahhh, well...

Seems like loads of programs/software are being forced by Micro$haft to "adjust" to Vista's extreme quirkiness and...
Vast InSTAbility

*Note: credit for that last (and very appropriate) bit there goes to JonnyMac
Old 27th December 2007, 21:32   #61
rseiler

Anyone who spells "Microsoft" with a dollar sign really can't be reasoned with by definition (it actually works against you), but adjustments are always necessary with any major new release. This was the case with XP (even SP2!), which now works with everything, but in the first year (2001-02) that was not the case.

I've found Vista's compatibility to be excellent (actually, to a fault: it might be better for MS at some point if they just break with the baggage of the past), and very few programs I had needed updates or workarounds. The few that did almost always did because of increased security measures (i.e. users are no longer full-blown admins).
Old 27th December 2007, 22:04   #62
Dingens

Hey
I didn't wan't to start a Microsoft war here. From my understanding in the last postings, it should work with the intellitype software installed, but maybe I got this wrong.
Works without the intellitype Software, apart from the fact tha tthe "MEdai" button now starts Mediaplayer again instead of Winamp.
All the best
Rolf
Dingens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 22:48   #63
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Well, from my reading and from what I've seen others claim, for some it works whereas for others it doesn't. And this is apparently due to Vista's "quirks". So in a nutshell it's those quirks that are really what can't be reasoned with by definition (they are what are actually working against you)... just a little clarification here as to who/what's working against whom.

I agree though that given time, as with other of Microsoft's newly introduced (and prematurely released) operating systems, the MS Vista devs will in fact work out these glitches (hopefully, because Millenium never evolved/worked out its glitches, as we all know).

I guess for now, judging by what you just said Rolf, in your specific case, you may have to go with one or the other - your Intellitype software function(s) you'd like to keep, or a sacrifice of such to allow global hotkeys to work properly in Winamp (and your Vista op sys installation).
Old 28th December 2007, 23:18   #64
JonnyMac

The joke that Nunzio quoted was meant to be light hearted humor reflecting on the quirks of Vista. I have been a forum member for several years now and have seen new Windows versions come and go. As discussed above, new Windows releases were shaky at first and it would smooth out as time went by. However, in my experience it is Vista that has generated the most tech support requests (at lease here at WA forums).

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 09:59   #65
Parabola

Keycontrol worked fine for me, but pressing play/pause started WMP. So I disabled the media keys in itype. Now it only pauses/unpauses, and wont start a song. If anyone knows how to make it not open WMP without disabling them in itype, that would be great.

Edit: Scratch that. Sometimes it will play/pause regardless of if it is disabled in itype. It's completely random. :/

Last edited by Parabola; 4th January 2008 at 12:33.
Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 06:03   #66
Parabola

Ok, new facts have come to light. All but the play/pause hotkey work. I assume this is because itype has play/pause open WMP 11. It still sometimes works though. :/
Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 03:20   #67
johngalt

The Play/Pause works if you set the play/Pause button to the 'Pause" function, as noted from Paul Mah's website with this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx
Andrew

Anonymous Posted: “I’ve got a “PLAY/PAUSE” button on my keyboard. it would be nice if you could make it play / pause winamp (dependiing on if its playing or not).”

The feature to do that is listed as “PAUSE” in the list of commands. I was pleased to figure this out after messing around with it for a couple of minutes.

Suggestion: Maybe re-naming that one or just adding one that says “play/pause” and have it do the same thing as “pause” would be easy enough i imagine.
And up above from JoshG's post:

h**p://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=2256533#post2256533

I am using IType 6.2 on a fresh Vista install with WinAmp 5.52, and as soon as I get every thing configured, I can verify for rseiler (if [s]he is still around) if it works from window shade, main window, tray, and any other method.
johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:40   #68
aznsouja

easiest fix

h**p://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/78516
aznsouja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:49   #69
rseiler

Logitech?
Old 17th July 2008, 14:54   #70
mhenry1384

I'd just like to confirm that this still doesn't work in Winamp 5.54 but it does work with KeyControl 1.02.

Vista's been out for a while now Nullsoft, it might just be here to stay. How about fixing this?

Anyway, it works for me now so whatevs I guess.

With my Microsoft multimedia keyboard, hitting the play button would always restart the track. Which was maddening as I listen to a lot of talk, and I'd hit the Play/Pause button to pause (out of habit) and I'd lose my place. KeyControl works but it was a little flaky so I went into Control Panel->Keyboard and disabled the "native" Play/Pause control and now it seems to work perfectly.
mhenry1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 16:35   #71
rseiler

As I mentioned above, KeyControl only works for me when Winamp is up and visible. When it's on the tray, pressing the button merely raises Winamp, something I don't want. Sure, I can press the button again right then and minimize Winamp, but that's silly. It should work regardless of Winamp's state.
Old 13th November 2008, 03:15   #72
mozbius

Quote:
Originally posted by rseiler
As I mentioned above, KeyControl only works for me when Winamp is up and visible. When it's on the tray, pressing the button merely raises Winamp, something I don't want. Sure, I can press the button again right then and minimize Winamp, but that's silly. It should work regardless of Winamp's state.
205.188.229.24/showthread.php?s=&postid=2440554#post2440554
mozbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 22:22   #73
JudaZ

An easy way to avoid the problems is to edit the registry.

Just run regedit.exe (run as administrator)
go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

Export the key "itype" just for backup

then remove the entry
"itype" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe"

Then itype.exe will not be reloaded when you restart your machine and Global keys will work fine in both Windows Media player and WinAmp.

At least that worked for me.

-------------------------------------
http://www.observeheadlines.com/
JudaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 23:10   #74
rseiler

Then you don't have use of the IT features (e.g. onscreen volume indicator). Why not just uninstall it at that point?

BTW, still an issue with Winamp 5.55. Even in Win7. Even using the IT 7 beta.

It's hopeless.
Old 9th May 2009, 00:20   #75
Solace50

If you use any drivers older then the 6.30 in conjunction with the Key control 1.02 both your media keys and other functions will work perfectly fine assuming you disable them in intellitypes settings so they do not over lap with the key controls that you set up

Key Control 1.02
h**p://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/150926

Intellitype 6.20.182.0 x32
h**p://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/Microsoft-Intellitype-Driver-62-x32-Download-58537.html

Intellitype 6.20.182.0 x64
h**p://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/MICROSOFT/Microsoft-Intellitype-Driver-61-x64.shtml

and yes this issue is still present in both x64 x86 of win 7 and the beta drivers Microsoft offers. These drivers work perfectly fine on both vista/win7 the only disadvantage is that the newer drivers support macros and 3 profiles for gaming. Also the whole killing itype.exe work around is effective if you only need functionality temporary and would like your macros to remain. if anyone has anything better feel free to share. next thing would to be modding some Microsoft drivers which i don't think anyone cares enough to do since this issue is only specific to Microsoft products.Also using the most recent drivers do in fact still work for winamp but when in full screen applications you will lose the ability to change songs along with other various side effects.
Solace50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 23:17   #76
fungo

Appalling

This is total BS. I've just wasted an hour trying to get Winamp 5.8x to work, using ALL the suggestions on this (and other) threads. Every permutation, absolutely no success. (Windows 7 64-bit, latest iType drivers.) The only way I can get Play/Pause to work is to unload iType, which I'm not prepared to do - and which I SHOULD NOT NEED TO DO. IntelliType is probably running on about half the computers in the world, and the more up-to-date half at that.

DO NOT tell me this is Microsoft's fault. I use multiple other media programs, they all work perfectly with my Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, with no jumping through idiotic hoops. (Example: Media Player Classic, a tiny little amateur-driven program. No problem at all. I never even needed to open a config screen. IT JUST WORKS.)

Pathetic. I guess I'll have to change my music player, after all these years. This is how software dies: not with a bang, but a long string of ignored bugfix requests...
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 01:48   #77
fungo

This plug-in SEEMS to be working, so far:

http://dimin.m6.net/software/winamp/DiminHotkeys.html

Knock on wood. Seems better than the other solutions mentioned in this thread, anyway.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 03:23   #78
Ceredosh

Download the attached Zip in my post, zip it up, read my instructions and run the file included. Will most likely work for you as well.

After reading this forum, trying every single hotkey plugin for Winamp and searching the web, nothing worked for me.
So i decided to write a simple script with AutoHotkey, compiled it and uploaded it here.
Not sure if this works for other keyboards than Microsoft's as i never have had other keyboard models. In my windows7 64bit system with a Microsoft keyboard it worked flawlessly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WinampMediaKeys.zip (593.3 KB, 130 views)
Ceredosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 07:05   #79
sicromoft

Can a moderator please escalate this bug to the appropriate people? This bug is almost 4 years old now. Does nobody at Nullsoft/AOL care that a function as basic as a PLAY/PAUSE button doesn't work properly?
sicromoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 07:31   #80
sicromoft

Here's a workaround I figured out, until this gets properly fixed. It's basically the same idea as what Ceredosh just posted, but doesn't require his AutoHotKey script. In the Intellitype settings (Control Panel -> Keyboard -> Key Settings), change the Play/Pause key to a macro that sends some other keystrokes, e.g., Ctrl+Shift+Windows+Home (it's easier to leave out the Alt key). Then, in the winamp settings, enable global hotkeys and change Playback: Play/Pause to the same value.
sicromoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support