http://techiecenter.com/winamp-issue/not_in_menu_still.jpg

http://.../changed_registrykey_and_tried_setting_as_default_again.jpg

http://techiecenter.com/winamp-issue/fixed.jpg
techiecenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 13:06   #42
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Weird. Though that's Vista for you, heh.
It almost looks as though WMP11 in Vista is holding on to the associations, in your case.

Were you going to Regedit > View menu > Refresh (F5) inbetween each change?
It doesn't auto refresh itself when making filetype association changes outside of Regedit.

But yeah, it's almost fixed, except if 'Enqueue files on dbl-click in Windows Explorer'
is checkmarked in Winamp > Prefs > File Types, then 'Enqueue in Winamp'
should be the default option, not 'Play in Winamp'.

Re: submitted url's.
They're only blocked if the user has the 'Junior Member' status
(is part of our anti-spam policy),
but moderators/admin can still see the url's.

Here's the screenshot url's:
http://techiecenter.com/winamp-issue...as_default.jpg
http://techiecenter.com/winamp-issue...menu_still.jpg
http://techiecenter.com/winamp-issue...ault_again.jpg
http://techiecenter.com/winamp-issue/fixed.jpg
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 13:20   #43
techiecenter

Send a message via ICQ to techiecenter Send a message via Yahoo to techiecenter
Yeah, I've noticed Vista does many strange things like this to me as of late, and yes I was refreshing. I can't stand WMP11 and that's why I installed winamp even though it has known compatibility issues with it. Now that I have my enqueue option available I feel sooo much better than when I had to put of with WMP.

I was trying to use the 'Enqueue files on dbl-click in Windows Explorer' as a workaround to quickly add files to the queue before having to resort to drag-n-drop (saying that makes me feel really lazy), but that setting doesn't work either in Vista apparently and I'm not concerned enough with it to try to find out what could fix it.
Old 17th March 2007, 17:18   #44
Diaboyos

Go to Windows Media Player > Options > File Types
Reassociate MP3, WMA (and OGG & FLAC, if listed) with WMP
Close Options & WMP

This should fix the registry keys/associations

Then try to reassociate those filetypes with Winamp, via:
Winamp > Prefs > File Types

I did it but it didn't fix it. When associated with WMP, the icons changed, naturally, and the default option on right click changed to Play. When changed back to Winamp the default changed back to Open With. Still no Winamp options in the context menu.

You did only run the Diaboyos_RegFix.reg and NOT the Default_RegFix_WinXP.reg, yes?

LOL yeah!

Disabling items using ShellExView temporarily to find the culprit can't possibly damage something can it?

I'll be moving in a few days, and I don't wanna do the ShellExView until I get in the new house if it's possible to hurt something by using it because I don't wanna risk a crash. I need my computer in order to verify my new Internet connection being installed the day after I move (double my current down and up speeds yeah!).
Is it a risk or not at all?
Diaboyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 21:41   #45
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Did you try using techiecenter's 'Open With' method?
Old 17th March 2007, 23:38   #46
Diaboyos

I tried the Open With method and chose Winamp and checked always open with the selected but it didn't work. Techiecenter also said he manually edited the registry before doing this. I don't know how to do this just by looking at the before and after reg pics. I would need precise instructions on how to manually edit the registry.
Old 18th March 2007, 05:08   #47
techiecenter

Diaboyos:

I don't know how precise you are wanting, so if i'm too detailed I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. What you will need to do is...

1. Run 'regedit' from Start > Run
2. Navigate to My Computer > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > (.file_extension)
3. There will be a registry key named '(Default)'. Double click it and edit the 'Value data' string and change it to 'Winamp.File'
4. Now do the 'Always open with' method.

Hope that works for you as it did for me in Vista.
Old 18th March 2007, 05:13   #48
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

According to the logs provided by Diaboyos so far, the (Default) values are already set to "Winamp.File".
Old 18th March 2007, 05:30   #49
techiecenter

Hrm, I didn't even look to see what his system had it set to currently. Well in that case I don't know what to tell you :-\

That's all I had to do on all the file extensions I wanted the 'enqueue in winamp' option to show up for in Vista.
Old 18th March 2007, 06:53   #50
Diaboyos

Yeah that entry already is Winamp.File.

I'll be packing up tomorrow for the move and prolly won't be back until Tuesday at the earliest.
Old 25th March 2007, 20:37   #51
divelucaya

Send a message via Yahoo to divelucaya
Has anyone found a solution to this yet? The problem came up for me yesterday. The day before I had no problem with right-click enqueueing. Here's the thing, I had downloaded a couple registry cleaners and ran them. Because they were both trial programs they would not "fix" the registry entries until registered. So I began fixing them manually, backing up my registry first. I fixed a little over 1000 registry keys/values but left another 1100 to do some other day. None of the issues fixed seemed to be related to mp3 files or Winamp specifically, or else I would not have touched them.

Today when I did the right-click action, all my Winamp options had disappeared. I found this forum thread and started checking things out. As much as I hated to, I restored my backed up registry, but this did not solve the missing Winamp options. So now I am not even sure if this caused the problem in the first place.

Regarding Nero or VLC causing the problem, well, I don't think either one is the cause because I have had Nero for almost two years now and VLC for about 6 months and have done nothing to them to have this Winamp issue suddenly come up. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Winamp and still no luck.

It is quite coincidental how several Winamp users have had this issue came up within the last month. Conspiracy, maybe? UFOs? Anyways I will keep watch to see if this issue is ever resolved.
divelucaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 23:42   #52
divelucaya

Send a message via Yahoo to divelucaya
Well I resolved the issue, at least on my machine. I was playing with the registry and came across ContextMenuHandler for mp3files and saw the WMP entries that were showing up when I right-clicked an mp3 file (I didn't remember any WMP options before). I ended up downloading ShellExView and ran it. I disabled all three WMP Launcher entries and BINGO, my Winamp options were back. I don't know how or why, but it was like WMP was hijacking the Winamp "slots." Why I say this is because it is almost like there are only so many slots for certain file actions. To explain, after removing the WMP options, when I right-clicked an mp3 I got "Enqueue in Winamp," "Enqueue & Play in Winamp," and "Add to Winamp Bookmarks List." I went to file type options and changed the default from "Enqueue & Play in Winamp" to "Play in Winamp." Afterwards, when I right-clicked an mp3 file I got "Play in Winamp," "Enqueue in Winamp," and "Enqueue & Play in Winamp." The bookmark option was no longer there. I have another mp3 file option to "Convert Media Format" (using Microsoft Plus! Audio Converter) and I have the feeling if I disabled this, I would get the bookmarks option back.

Anyways, for those having the problem, if you have Media Player options when you right-click a Winamp file, use ShellExView to disable the WMP options. Hopefully your Winamp options will return.
divelucaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 02:33   #53
Diaboyos

OK I finally got my Internet back up. My new crappy ISP was 5 days late showing up to install it.
I am still unpacking and don't have any time to mess with computer issues right now but I haven't forgotten about this thread!
Thx for posting divelucaya, I'll try that. I do have the WMP options in my menu too and never did before. I already have ShellExView downloaded and will try what you did soon and pray that works.
Old 28th March 2007, 18:03   #54
Diaboyos

Well. I went to start the whole ShellExView process earlier, but before I started decided to try right clicking an .mp3 first. And it worked. The Winamp options were back in the menu! I haven't changed anything, haven't installed or uninstalled anything. The only thing different is I moved my computer to my new home and my new ISP. I now have the Winamp and WMP options on right click.
So now I'm totally baffled, but it's working. I have no clue what fixed it, or what broke it for that matter. Thx everyone for all the help provided. Hopefully it won't revert and I won't have to return to this thread!
Old 8th April 2007, 20:45   #55
Lange_666

Bugger, that doesn't help me...LOL.
I have exact the same problem, ran through all the things here but no go.
I can remove the WMP's in the context menu (via ShellExView) but in return, i don't get the WinAmps back... (maybe i should move to a new house too...LOL)
So i need to search a bit more again.

Now there is one thing that runs like a red wire through all this thread and through my problem and that is Nero!!!
I just installed everything back after a system change (partly new computer) and installed a new Nero 7. Since then, things have gone weird. And since uninstalling Nero doesn't help...

So i'm still looking for a solution!
Lange_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 21:33   #56
Diaboyos

I'm getting ready to do another Nero upgrade, hesitantly. So if the problem returns afterwards I'll have definitive proof what the culprit is.
Old 9th April 2007, 05:34   #57
Diaboyos

OK I was able to upgrade to the new version of Nero without problems. One thing that was odd though is during uninstall of version 7751 this message popped up:

I had a song playing in the background with Winamp and it wouldn't allow me to continue the uninstall until I closed Winamp. So there was definitely some association going on. I closed it and continued the uninstall, then cleaned the registry and reboot. Installed new version 7850 and checked the context menus and all is well so far.
Old 10th April 2007, 21:57   #58
Lange_666

Removed Nero step by step, still didn't work until i came to the ShowHome part. Once removed, WinAmp options in the file context menu returned to normal...

Took me a complete re-install to find out though...
Old 10th April 2007, 22:07   #59
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

ShowHome?
Old 10th April 2007, 23:40   #60
Lange_666

You should read... ShowTime !!!

You know, after a hard day at work...
Old 11th April 2007, 01:38   #61
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Ohhhh... Nero ShowTime !!! heh

So, you reckon it's Nero ShowTime which kills the Winamp file context menus then, and not Power/Magic ISO?

Hmm... can anyone else confirm this?

And yeah, after a long hard day's work, you probably would be thinking more of ShowHome, or HomeTime ;-)
Old 11th April 2007, 08:52   #62
Lange_666

Well, i removed the separate Nero stuff one by one. The WinAmp file context menu entries didn't return until i un-installed Nero's ShowTime.
Old 11th April 2007, 13:00   #63
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Okay. Thanks.

Well, the only way I'll be able to see/work out what's going on is if someone who's experiencing the problem after installing Nero/ShowTime could export their entire Registry to a .reg file (via: Start > Run > Regedit > rt-click 'My Computer' > Export), zip it up, upload it somewhere (eg. sendspace.com or stashbox.org or mediafire.com, if you haven't got your own personal webspace), and then PM me the download url.
Old 16th April 2007, 02:03   #64
Tatsel Ikol

I had been having the same problem, which, is of course what brought me here in the first place. I was reading through the forum trying everything i could and what actually worked for me was uninstalling magic iso. Once i did that everything just went back to normal. some one earlier said that two people having this problem had magic iso and i had installed it recently so i just decided to uninstall it and it worked! well i hope it helps someone.
Tatsel Ikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2007, 10:53   #65
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, I was suspecting Power/Magic ISO back on page 1, but no-one confirmed anything.

Thanks.
Old 4th May 2007, 20:23   #66
tymesilver

I had the same problem as anyone else in here, but mine was caused by iTunes. I edited my registry by removing all itunes-related entries from [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3] and [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3\OpenWithProgIds], rebooted my computer and opened a mp3-file in winamp with 'Open with'. That changed the mp3 icons back to what they used be (winamp) and got the context menus working.

Without reading this thread I doubt I couldn't have got the problem solved, so thanks to all of you!
tymesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 01:02   #67
Master Darko

MAGIC ISO!!!!

I have read every post in this forum and solution for the problem is on the first page.

UNINSTALL MAGIC ISO!

I did, and I got my winamp context menu items back.

Running Win XP MCE and winamp 5.35

Master Darko
Master Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 04:07   #68
mikeduffy13

solution

Ok everybody, I know some of you came up with the solution to just un-install Power ISO. I had the exact same problem. You don't need to uninstall Power ISO. Just do this, and your enqueue and other options will be restored to your context menu (assuming you have the options set correctly in winamp). In Power ISO:
Options -> Uncheck "enable shell integration"

You'll obviously lose Power ISO from the menu, but who cares...

Hope this helps everyone. I'm glad to have my enqueue option back !!!!!
mikeduffy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 00:57   #69
only_johhny

God damn PowerIso.
Goddamn computers as a concept.
What the hell is this some kind of hostile takeover?
Programs stealing right-click options.
User friendly, my ass.
How the hell are we expected to figure these things out?
God forbid we ever make an artificial intelligence.
It wouldn't kill us, just....remove any possibility to write the letters L and E. No biggie, but it gets old soon...
I hate these things.
only_johhny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 18:44   #70
ctt300

I had a similar issue on a new Vista install. I didn't have PowerISO, but had this same right click enque not appearing problem on all audio file types. It seems that Windows Media Player had hard locked all of the audio file association and probably all of the video ones too.

What I did to fix this was to into control panel and click on programs, then default programs, then associate a file type or protocol with a program. From there, you can change the file types for all of the audio, etc. file types to winamp.
Old 18th January 2008, 19:03   #71
jns
Forum King

I had this problem as well. However, manually added things to the registry, and now I got my directory context menus back. Too bad I already uninstalled avast and nero to check if one of them was interfering.

jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 20:03   #72
jns
Forum King

Seems I somehow broke something, though.
Now I can't [WINDOWS]+E. >.>

Now why did I go poke around the registry?

[edit]Phew. THAT fixed it. I should learn not to tamper too much with stuff. ^^[/edit]

jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008, 23:39   #73
Awop

Hey everyone,

I had the same issue, and MagicISO was the culprit. I got rid of it and as soon as i did it started working again. I think maybe some bug in the MagicISO software was conflicting with some of the winamp strings.

Strange though that it wasnt happening when i first installed it. Maybe i wasnt paying good enough attention.

-Awop
Awop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 18:02   #74
Boylicious

Found solution for Vista users to get shell enque option, and shell icon, for mp3 (and any type) as desired. Please follow these instructions and report back on success or failure.

PART 1) before anything else, do this:
a) Run winamp.exe as an administrator.
b) Configure winamp's settings the way you want them, even though we all know that these settings will not work right away.
c) Apply and close, then exit winamp.

PART 2)
a) Follow this sequence to arrive at the necessary screen:
Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set Your Default Programs >
b) DO NOT CLICK WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER OR ANY OTHER PROGRAM. IGNORE THEM. Don't worry about "unsetting" anything, it would just be a waste of time and will not work or help... Instead, go right to winamp and hilight it from the list.
c) Click "Choose defaults for this program"
d) Populate the checkboxes on this screen as you desire
e) click save button
f) profit.

Please let me know how it goes. This bitch took me forever to figure out, and I messed with registry, shellEx, etc.. turns out it was just this easy. Go figure.
Boylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 17:23   #75
subwayslasher

@Boylicious

Dude you rock! I didn't have any of those other programs installed, but this solution worked for me. I was getting so annoyed with not having a context menu I was about to jump ship to Windows Media Player!
Old 21st January 2009, 16:11   #76
killerklown

Okay, I was having this same problem, and after a lot of monkeying around with the suggestions in this thread, I got nowhere. Finally, I just did this, and it worked. I right clicked on an MP3 and clicked "Open With" and then "Choose Default Program". In that, I chose Winamp and checked the box to "always use the selected program to open this type of file". Immediately after that, my context menu changed from Enque in "Windows Media Player" to "Enque in Winapmp".

It was the simplest fix, and I don't know if it will work for anyone else, but I thought I'd share and possibly save someone else all the hastle of trying the other, more involved fixes first.
killerklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 13:23   #77
msknight

I'm having the same issue - only with local files it's fine - when I'm right clicking on an MP3 on a network share, I've got the standard ones for Windows Media Player.
msknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 15:44   #78
msknight

Guess I'd better give more information.

OS - Windows XP 32 bit version - regularly updated. Tried various versions of WinAmp but no joy. Not sure where the extensions are for networked file shares in the registry.

Shares are Linux shares mounted as network drive letters under XP.
msknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 09:52   #79
hitokage

Okay, I haven't been able to figure this out for a few months and it's driving me nuts - I'm experiencing the same problem as msknight except my shares are on a Windows server instead of Linux. This issue occurs not just with regular XP Pro, but also XP Pro x64. Something else I've noticed is it's not limited to WinAmp - this also affects MS Office files on said network shares. I'm hoping this extra information may lead someone to tell us what we can try to fix it.
hitokage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 12:56   #80
BunkFace

Quote:
Originally posted by Boylicious
PART 1) before anything else, do this:
a) Run winamp.exe as an administrator.
b) Configure winamp's settings the way you want them, even though we all know that these settings will not work right away.
c) Apply and close, then exit winamp.

PART 2)
a) Follow this sequence to arrive at the necessary screen:
Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set Your Default Programs >
b) DO NOT CLICK WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER OR ANY OTHER PROGRAM. IGNORE THEM. Don't worry about "unsetting" anything, it would just be a waste of time and will not work or help... Instead, go right to winamp and hilight it from the list.
c) Click "Choose defaults for this program"
d) Populate the checkboxes on this screen as you desire
e) click save button
f) profit.

Please let me know how it goes. This bitch took me forever to figure out, and I messed with registry, shellEx, etc.. turns out it was just this easy. Go figure.
This worked for me. Thanks.

In Windows XP, the steps to follow instead of Part 2 above are:
Start Menu - Set Program Access and Defaults - Custom - Choose a default media player - Select Winamp - Click OK
A window with a progress bar stating 'Setting Winamp as default application...' should appear

If you have somehow lost 'Set Program Access and Defaults' in your start menu, go to Start Menu - Run... - enter '%SystemRoot%\system32\control.exe appwiz.cpl,,3' (without the quotes) - Click OK

Last edited by BunkFace; 26th August 2009 at 13:14.
BunkFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support