Old 26th September 2011, 21:12   #41
Aminifu
Forum King

The song file with no cover art that displayed correctly is not in your music folder or one
of its subfolders. So the rogue image must be in the music folder or one of its subfolders.
Enable the Windows hidden files, close and reopen Win explorer and look again, with so
many files it is possible to overlook it.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 21:42   #42
Sista K

I know it seems like the only explanation, but I assure you there is no such file in this folder. The hidden files are always enabled on my computer, and by sorting that folder by file type it is impossible to miss it.

It's not in that folder, and I know it doesn't make sense...
Sista K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 22:00   #43
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

Maybe if you toggle the hidden Win protected file option (not just the normal hidden files
and extensions), more files will show up. What have you got to lose. :-)

By "this folder", I assume you mean the main folder and ALL its subfolders. I also assume
you have looked at EACH file, regardless of sort order. If this is true, then I'm truly sorry
you're having this problem and I'm all out of suggestions.

Last edited by Aminifu; 26th September 2011 at 23:51.
Old 26th September 2011, 22:56   #44
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
well, lets just say that i have read your posts, but what you are saying isn't clear to me. in other words, it doesn't make sense, and by that, i mean what you are writing, not the behavior. i was trying to get you to rephrase it in the hopes that it would make more sense to me, and be a place i could start at to figure it out, but you seem intent on not doing so.

the onus, imo, is on you to try to comply with the request, since it is for your benefit, not mine, to get it answered.

having said that, i'll assume u have 5.621 (since i think u said u did) and let me ask this:

how many files are showing the wrong artwork? what file types? what is your storage method, as in where are they and what structure?

have you tried clearing the ML and rescanning from scratch? (run backup tool first). moving the affected file[s]?

lets start there.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 02:55   #45
ryerman
Major Dude

Hi to Sista K

Try this:
1. Remove the problem file from the Media Library
2. Strip it of all tags
3. Install it in some oddly named directory that couldn't possibly be an album name.
4. Re-install it in the ML
5. Play it or do whatever you did that caused your original problem.

If the unwanted album art still displays then I have no answer for you.
If it doesn't, then maybe we have made some progress. My guess would be that it previously had metadata that "connected" it to another file that uses the undesired album art, probably by name of album.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 21:10   #46
Sista K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
well, lets just say that i have read your posts, but what you are saying isn't clear to me.
Well it's clear that you haven't, but I'll humor you since it's indeed for my benefit.

Quote:
having said that, i'll assume u have 5.621 (since i think u said u did)
Yes I did :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sista K View Post
By the way, I'm using the latest Winamp version (5.621 on Windows 7)
---------------------------------

Quote:
how many files are showing the wrong artwork? what file types? what is your storage method, as in where are they and what structure?
==>
Quote:
In my music folder I have complete albums which have their own folder (e.g. C:\music\album1), and then ONLY in those album folders are jpg files named either cover.jpg or albumname.jpg. These songs now display perfectly their cover art.

However, I have other songs randomly put in the music folder (C:\music\track1.mp3). And when THESE songs do not have a cover art embedded in their tag, then Winamp displays the SAME cover which comes precisely from a song having the cover art embedded in its ID tag.

(...)

And of course, I don't have ANY jpg/png/gif/bmp files in the root of my music folder (C:\music).

So I edited the ID tag of this specific track and DELETED that cover art, but it is STILL being displayed when a coverless song comes up.

Quote:
have you tried clearing the ML and rescanning from scratch? (run backup tool first). moving the affected file[s]?
Quote:
Unbelievable, I just did a super clean uninstall (followed by sweeping of the registry by CCleaner), restart the PC, reinstall Winamp.

And STILL that DAMN cover.

About the file that is causing all this trouble (more specifically its embedded cover :
Quote:
Nothing changes, I've moved it to the desktop, deleted it from the media library, restarted Winamp and it STILL displays that cover...
And I must add that I purely deleted that file from my computer, and that did not change a thing.

I hope that you won't refuse to read this just because I already wrote it and you never read it, because I couldn't answer your questions more clearly.
Old 27th September 2011, 21:17   #47
Sista K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
Hi to Sista K

Try this:
1. Remove the problem file from the Media Library
2. Strip it of all tags
3. Install it in some oddly named directory that couldn't possibly be an album name.
4. Re-install it in the ML
5. Play it or do whatever you did that caused your original problem.

If the unwanted album art still displays then I have no answer for you.
If it doesn't, then maybe we have made some progress. My guess would be that it previously had metadata that "connected" it to another file that uses the undesired album art, probably by name of album.
Hi ryerman,

As I said before, I removed permanently the problem file from my computer in the hopes of resolving this mess. However I can tell you that it had very specifics album name etc (rare EP) that had nothing in common with ALL the other non-embedded files that are being affected.
Old 27th September 2011, 21:20   #48
MrSinatra
Forum King

all i am trying to do is help you. you could lose the attitude and try to help me do so, even if you find my requests redundant, since it is kind of me to try to help you.

from your last post, i believe what i initially said is correct.

you have a HIDDEN file called Folder.jpg in the folder of random music files. the fact that it "matches" what was once ALSO embedded in a tag is just coincidence.

its the only coherent explanation. winamp will use hidden files for art, and it will take a hidden file, such as Folder.jpg, and apply it to EVERY file WITHOUT embedded art, in the folder.

you need to enable seeing system/hidden files in the windows OS. google it.

from 18 Sept:

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=16

--
Old 27th September 2011, 21:29   #49
MrSinatra
Forum King

btw, you could prove this is true by putting your random files into a proper ..\artist\album\files.mp3 structure, and rescanning your watch folders removing old missing entries.

if you did so, you'd get the proper blank llama. of course, this assumes you don't have WMP or WMC or something open/scanning/tagging the new folder structure.

--
Old 28th September 2011, 05:37   #50
Aminifu
Forum King

I suggested looking for hidden files in my post on September 18 and provided the
instructions on how to do it. Sista K posted back that nothing was found.

However, it was not stated that the option to "Hide protected operating system files"
was turned off.

There is nothing inherently wrong with having a catch-all folder for odds and ends.

Something, that may not have been tried is making a new catch-all folder, copying
the song files over and deleting the old folder.
Old 28th September 2011, 06:07   #51
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I suggested looking for hidden files in my post on September 18 and provided the

However, it was not stated that the option to "Hide protected operating system files"
was turned off.
indeed u did, and well before me. however i did make clear WMP does it, and that both hidden and system files need to be revealed.

Quote:
There is nothing inherently wrong with having a catch-all folder for odds and ends.
no, but it makes things like this possible.

Quote:
Something, that may not have been tried is making a new catch-all folder, copying
the song files over and deleting the old folder.
same idea as my last post. it would prove the presence of a hidden Folder.jpg file in the orig locaion if it gave the desired results. care needs to be taken to remove missing files from the ML, b/c dupe ML entries often share art.

--
Old 28th September 2011, 06:28   #52
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
care needs to be taken to remove missing files from the ML, b/c dupe ML entries often share art.
Could you expand on this statement? In my approach, the remaining files each have their
own embedded cover art. In your approach, the folder cover art remains. In either case,
I don't see a problem.
Old 28th September 2011, 06:42   #53
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Could you expand on this statement? In my approach, the remaining files each have their
own embedded cover art. In your approach, the folder cover art remains. In either case,
I don't see a problem.
this was something i reported a long time ago, so its kinda foggy, but basically u could have an album you ripped, that has folder art, and one other file, you downloaded, that has the same albumartist, and album tags, but no art / in a different folder, and in the ML both will be aggregated as being in the same album, but the single DL'd track with no art will be what determines the art in ML.

i had it happen, but i'm not sure when / what determines which art status "wins." so anyway, if she tries the experiment, best to eliminate the possibility by removing old, no longer valid ML entries.

--
Old 28th September 2011, 08:04   #54
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi MrSinatra,

If what you experienced is still possible, that is bad news. It should not matter what the
other tags say. I assume the different folder also had no folder cover art or worse it was
ignored. The code for this kind of aggregation feature or 'bug' could be very hard to change
or 'fix'.

I guess this means that songs with no embedded art that are not placed in an appropriate
folder (that has folder art) should not be put in a folder monitored by the ML.

The most important thing is playing the song or video, but cover art or thumbnails is 'eye
candy' that I have come to expect with modern media players. I don't want to have to
'jump thru hoops' to use it. I embed art in all my songs, but I'm being to see unnecessary
problems, imo, for those who don't.
Old 28th September 2011, 08:47   #55
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Hi MrSinatra,

If what you experienced is still possible, that is bad news. It should not matter what the
other tags say. I assume the different folder also had no folder cover art or worse it was
ignored.
well, u could test it yourself. just take two files, with the same tags, but separate them in different dirs, and scan them into the ML while removing missing entries, then refresh the views and art.

u could try them with: different art, one missing art, embedded art, etc... regardless they will be merged as one album, sharing only one art status/icon. again, i'm not sure why one or the other "wins."

i found this out, b/c i store as:

..\audio\DLs\..

and

..\audio\RIPs\..

and sometimes i'd rip something after i had DL'd a track or two, and the DL'd stuff would cancel out the art, and show as dupes in the album, which when removed from disk, solved the problem. (so maybe whats scanned first alphabetically wins?)

Quote:
The code for this kind of aggregation feature or 'bug' could be very hard to change or 'fix'.
well, this kind of gets out of my area of expertise. but i do have some user type exp with it, b/c i use winamp A LOT and i use squeezebox server a bit too.

the main way to fix it from a dev POV would be to use folder location to separate art icons in ML. so that way, files would have to share LOCATION as well as artist/AA tags and album tags. but some people would hate that of course, although i think its entirely logical.

at squeezebox its called the "greatest hits" problem. you could have 20 "greatest hits" albums by different artists, but if you sort by album titles alone, how would you keep all the tracks from the 20 albums from getting merged? they use folder location to do that, rather than artist or AA tags, which may not work or be there anyway.

its also good for when an artist has the same named album several times, like weezer or peter gabriel.

Quote:
I guess this means that songs with no embedded art that are not placed in an appropriate
folder (that has folder art) should not be put in a folder monitored by the ML.
i'm not sure why you say this? what do you mean?

Quote:
The most important thing is playing the song or video, but cover art or thumbnails is 'eye
candy' that I have come to expect with modern media players. I don't want to have to
'jump thru hoops' to use it. I embed art in all my songs, but I'm being to see unnecessary
problems, imo, for those who don't.
embedding art can solve some issues, but can also cause others. i choose not to use it, as we've talked about before.

the problem i'm talking about though would exist EVEN IF both files had embedded art. try it.

and anyway, thats why i said a proper ..\artist\album\ structure is best practices, as it basically eliminates weird behavior and is essentially universally supported.

--
Old 28th September 2011, 10:31   #56
Aminifu
Forum King

I mean that songs with incomplete or possible incorrect tags (or any correctable
errors) should not be put in monitored folders. For me, lack of embedded art is a
correctable error.

This is getting more interesting. Maybe we should start a separate thread on the
care and feeding of album art.

You're saying if I put the same file in two monitored folders and the only difference
between their tags is the embedded cover art, then Winamp will pick a cover image
and use it for both of them.

Did not know this because I avoid that kind of duplication. I download or rip to folders
that are not monitored and move files to monitored folders after I 'check' them.

I use an old playlist generator call "MusicIP Mixer" that also identifies duplicate songs
based on characteristics of the songs and not the tags or names of the songs. I like
to listen to the same songs by different artists and sometimes I download a song
that I think is by a different artist and it turns out to be something I already have
with the wrong name and/or tags. Over time I also rip or download something that I
forgot I already have. It takes a short time to analyse a 'new' song, but the duplicate
search is very fast. So the only duplicates I keep are in backups.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:28   #57
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
I mean that songs with incomplete or possible incorrect tags (or any correctable
errors) should not be put in monitored folders. For me, lack of embedded art is a
correctable error.
i know you're joking, but just for clarities sake its really just a preference. and since i don't use embedded art, i am assuming what i am saying is true for it as well, b/c logically it would follow that it would be. the art source in this "bug" isn't relevant to the behavior afaict. you could easily test it.

Quote:
This is getting more interesting. Maybe we should start a separate thread on the
care and feeding of album art.
i'll look for my old thread later...

Quote:
You're saying if I put the same file in two monitored folders and the only difference
between their tags is the embedded cover art, then Winamp will pick a cover image
and use it for both of them.

Did not know this because I avoid that kind of duplication. I download or rip to folders
that are not monitored and move files to monitored folders after I 'check' them.
close... i also use a "staging area" and vet files before adding them to the collection, but there are actually many variations of this bug, and they don't NECESSARILY need separate folder locations to demonstrate it, nor be exact dupes, its just easy to illustrate it that way. it also isn't about whats "monitored" or isn't, but rather whats in the ML.

for example, you could take one of your embedded art albums, whose files are all in one album folder, and change the first files art to something else, rescan/refresh, and you'll still only see ONE art icon for that album, and the Q is what one? and what if you removed art from the first file? and/or last file? would u get the llama? or would the other files art be assigned to it? either way, its not "accurate" strictly speaking.

another example is two files in separate folder locations, that could have different filenames and titles, but share the same artist and/or albumartist, and album names. in this example put different Folder.jpgs in each one, or in only one, and see what happens. i know from exp that if only one has it, sometimes the one with art wins, sometimes the one without it wins. now, do the same thing with separate location and embeds.

the main root of the issue here is that winamp only discerns artwork icons based on artist/AA tags and album tags, thats it. (edit: well, and actually maybe Disc tags too, and some other stragglers like that, but i use the minimum tags necessary, so no disc tags for me)

its not necessarily unnecessary duplication either. you might have a rip of an original album, and some DLs of bonus tracks from a remaster of the same album. only one art will be made for BOTH if they share the same artist/AA/album tags, and that art might not be the same for both. there's lots of other niche permutations like this possible, that are sensible.

Quote:
I use an old playlist generator call "MusicIP Mixer" that also identifies duplicate songs based on characteristics of the songs and not the tags or names of the songs.

I like to listen to the same songs by different artists and sometimes I download a song that I think is by a different artist and it turns out to be something I already have with the wrong name and/or tags. Over time I also rip or download something that I forgot I already have. It takes a short time to analyse a 'new' song, but the duplicate search is very fast. So the only duplicates I keep are in backups.
its not just a case of duplicates, as explained.

--
Old 29th September 2011, 00:44   #58
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Mr Sinatra,

When I say monitored, I mean what's in the ML. When I make changes to what's in
my watch folders, I manually instruct Winamp to refresh the ML and remove missing
files. I also instruct the ML to re-read metadata when I don't use the Winamp editor
to make tag changes (when I don't want the file modified date changed or need to
seek info from the internet).

For me, cover art is eye candy. I'm happy when each file displays art related to the
song or artist, it does not have to be the album cover that the song came from. So
I may have seen this bug and just not noticed it. Till now I've assumed that the art
I see is what is embedded in each file.

I'm not going looking for trouble, so I'm gonna pass on testing for this bug at this time.
Now that I'm aware, when I do notice it I now have the knowledge to understand and
deal with it. Thank you.

Is this another 'feature' of Winamp's personality? "He who picks a rose, must accept
the thorns it bears".

For me, Winamp and some plugins still do more things right than they do wrong.

Looking forward to reading your old thread on Winamp and AA.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:05   #59
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Hi Mr Sinatra,

When I say monitored, I mean what's in the ML. When I make changes to what's in
my watch folders, I manually instruct Winamp to refresh the ML and remove missing
files. I also instruct the ML to re-read metadata when I don't use the Winamp editor
to make tag changes (when I don't want the file modified date changed or need to
seek info from the internet).

For me, cover art is eye candy. I'm happy when each file displays art related to the
song or artist, it does not have to be the album cover that the song came from. So
I may have seen this bug and just not noticed it. Till now I've assumed that the art
I see is what is embedded in each file.

I'm not going looking for trouble, so I'm gonna pass on testing for this bug at this time.
Now that I'm aware, when I do notice it I now have the knowledge to understand and
deal with it. Thank you.
if i understand you correctly, u already can test this, b/c you already have a single album with tracks that share artist/aa/album tags in one folder but that have differing embedded album art per track.

if that is the case, you would only get ONE art icon in winamp for that album, so you should see the issue right now.

keep in mind, i am talking about the ML artwork. the "player" artwork will always display whats embedded per file when playing.

Quote:
Is this another 'feature' of Winamp's personality? "He who picks a rose, must accept
the thorns it bears".

For me, Winamp and some plugins still do more things right than they do wrong.
i think the devs don't want to add more special handling logic then necessary, that takes things like folder location and common album names into account.

i think in general, they think winamp is fastest when users use sensible techniques, and they don't worry about niche cases.

Quote:
Looking forward to reading your old thread on Winamp and AA.
not really an AA issue, but rather an artwork issue, as described in this thread.

can't find the damn thing i was thinking of. i searched my posts and the term "artwork" and couldn't find what i only foggily remember to begin with, but i am fairly sure i posted this behavior before. i found lots of other kinda related stuff, and the devs have fixed some of it since i reported it.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=278640

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=322718

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317144

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324902

--
Old 29th September 2011, 05:11   #60
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
keep in mind, i am talking about the ML artwork. the "player" artwork will always display whats embedded per file when playing.
I thought you were refering to both the ML and player. I was mostly focused on the
player, since that is were Sista K indicated her problem is.

I had posted, before you joined the thread, that I use a 3rd party classic skin and a
plugin to display AA (in the video panel). I pretty much focus on playing the music and
don't need all that Bento displays, all the time. When I need to work in the ML, I open
the ML panel. I did use the default modern skin (before Bento) for awhile.

Thinking the problem may be with the modern and/or Bento skins player, I temporarily
switched to Big Bento and tried to reproduce the problem. Was not able too and was
pretty much convinced she had a hidden file. Been trying to help her find it. So far,
no luck.

Sorry for the disconnect, but she did try to get you to read the part of the thread
before you joined. You wanted her to restate the problem. You didn't want ..., she
didn't want ..., Oh well.

Anyway, I can validate what you say about how the ML displays artwork. Since I
always saw AA associated with an album's aggregate files, I didn't think about what
happens when the art in those files is not the same. It would be nice to know what
logic Winamp uses to make a choice. It's probably something simple and therefore
somewhat random, since the devs would not want to devote a lot of code to it and
no single solution would please everyone.

I will read the threads you posted. I expect to learn something that I can apply now
or later, which is always good.
Old 29th September 2011, 05:40   #61
MrSinatra
Forum King

before i reply, let me state that i think u misunderstood me, and its probably my fault.

pretty much EVERY time i have ever said "AA" in this thread or others, its a shortcut for "albumartist" (TPE2) not "album art" (APIC). i don't need to say album art b/c artwork or just art suffice.

so you may need to go back and reread what i said so you don't get the wrong idea about what i meant. my apologies.

Quote:
I thought you were refering to both the ML and player. I was mostly focused on the
player, since that is were Sista K indicated her problem is.
it still applies in her case, b/c she said she deleted all her embeds, right?

i am totally convinced she has a hidden/system art file. i am equally convinced she has not set the options to reveal BOTH. when she does, she will solve her problem. and she could easily test this by simply moving the affected files to a new folder that isn't "monitored" by WMP or whatever else places art like that.

anyway, the discussion between you and i is somewhat confused. it would be better to focus on one given set of circumstances and concentrate on it narrowly, but right now i don't really have a major problem with winamp artwork handling, altho after the next release i will probably retest winamp to see what previously reported behaviors (bug or undesired) still exist. you can see some of the issues in the links above.

as to the issue i described in this thread, i doubt it will ever be addressed, and frankly i can live with that for now.

Quote:
I had posted, before you joined the thread, that I use a 3rd party classic skin and a
plugin to display AA (in the video panel). I pretty much focus on playing the music and
don't need all that Bento displays, all the time. When I need to work in the ML, I open
the ML panel. I did use the default modern skin (before Bento) for awhile.

Thinking the problem may be with the modern and/or Bento skins player, I temporarily
switched to Big Bento and tried to reproduce the problem. Was not able too and was
pretty much convinced she had a hidden file. Been trying to help her find it. So far,
no luck.

Sorry for the disconnect, but she did try to get you to read the part of the thread
before you joined. You wanted her to restate the problem. You didn't want ..., she
didn't want ..., Oh well.
as i tried to explain, i found the thread already very confused and i didn't really follow what was already said. i have a methodical approach, where someone states something, then i try to dissect it, little by little, one piece at a time, so i was trying to restart it in a way that made sense to me. i find thats the most productive approach in the forums, and i have helped solve probably 90% of the issues for others i have attempted to.

afaic, i've solved her issue too. she just needs to do it.

Quote:
Anyway, I can validate what you say about how the ML displays artwork. Since I
always saw AA associated with an album's aggregate files, I didn't think about what
happens when the art in those files is not the same. It would be nice to know what
logic Winamp uses to make a choice. It's probably something simple and therefore
somewhat random, since the devs would not want to devote a lot of code to it and
no single solution would please everyone.

I will read the threads you posted. I expect to learn something that I can apply now
or later, which is always good.
my guess is its either the first, or last, artwork the scanner discovers that applies to the album.

and honestly, what should winamp do in the ML? list the 10 track album 10 times b/c of 10 different art embeds? or 10 different folder locations each with its own Folder.jpg?

no, it has to aggregate them and settle on one, and its only logical to do so, since it is ALBUM art we are talking about, meaning that any group of files from a single store bought physical CD will ALWAYS ONLY have ONE true artwork.

niche cases like weezer or peter gabriel or remasters or VA cds with same names etc, really are beyond the scope of what ANY music manager should handle, and trying to solve them would probably only create more issues than it solves. what i do, is make my album titles unique even if its not 100% accurate. this is full proof... kinda.

what i worry about are those cases where i am unaware of a conflict. like for instance if i rip something i already had a track DL'd of and don't realize it. but hopefully i am on top of that.

some of the issues in my links above are solved, but some aren't, and they are more worrisome.

--
Old 29th September 2011, 08:40   #62
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

Yes I'm using "AA" as a shortcut for album art. I'm the new guy, so it's my fault for
assuming what the shortcut meant and then using it incorrectly. I respect you long
time, active posters. I don't want to upset you guys by asking for explanations on
things that you think should be clear already (or would be if I spent a little time
getting up to speed). Sometimes I assume to save time and end up frustrating
people anyway when I guess wrong. I'm sorry and will try to do better.

As for Sista K, she only deleted one embed from the file she thinks the rogue image
can from. Then she moved the file (and maybe deleted it at some point, I don't
remember). Anyway, we agree on what her problem is.

As for the rest of your points, I totally agree. Except that while I appreciate a
methodical approach, I don't try to make people to use it. I try to ease them into
it or leave them be. But you continue to be you. You're all over this product and
try to hold the devs to account while trying to help users. Like I said before, I've
read a lot of your posts and not just those were we seem to be following each
other around.

I've read some of the threads you listed and will read the rest. Because of the way
I use Winamp I've been unaware of the art related growing pains in the ML. Like
you say some things will not have an easy solution. IMO, bugs should be fixed and
features that require user input should not try to substitute data for inputs not
provided. But, beyond the getting up to speed, I've already seen one thing that I
think I may be able to apply to my use.
Old 1st October 2011, 15:20   #63
Sista K

Quote:

was turned off.
Hi Aminifu,

I must offer you my deepest apologies for being stupid and having missed the line where you mentioned that option that I had forgotten. Indeed it was not turned off, and when I did, I immediately found the problematic file (files actually, because there was 2 of them) and deleted it and everything went back to normal.

So again, sorry for missing that point that could have saved us both time. I knew it was the only plausible explanation, but didn't think about that option which made this all the more mystifying.

MrSinatra, thank you too for your help. I know I'm at fault here, however if I can offer you a suggestion I'd say that even if you are obviously here to help, the way you join a topic with complete disregard for the previous posts (or so it seems) feels like a lack of respect when you didn't even bother to read them and want people to repeat themselves just for your benefit when all you have to do is scroll up. Maybe if you took the time to go over specific points and ask for clarification to make sure the whole thing was correct, you would come off less rude.
I know it doesn't feel that way to you and it's not what you intended, but it's what it feels like. And again, thank you for your time !
Old 1st October 2011, 18:14   #64
MrSinatra
Forum King

lets see... i didn't understand you, and tried to get you to rephrase, and even tho u didn't want to, and really never did, i still (like Aminfu) correctly diagnosed your issue and told you how to fix it.

rude indeed.

--
Old 1st October 2011, 20:24   #65
Sista K

No, that's not exactly it and please don't get this the wrong way. You didn't try to get me to rephrase, you said you didn't read what I posted. Maybe that's what you meant but that's not what you said and that's absolutely not how it came across.

Quote:
i haven't read the thread in full, can u please briefly explain the issue?
Do you understand how that phrasing can translate to : "I'm too lazy to read what's written a few lines up" and be perceived as rude ? Had you said right from the start "this is not clear to me could you please rephrase it" we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Anyway, I didn't say that out of spite, because you took the time to help me, this is just how I saw it, maybe how others could see it, and maybe how you could avoid it.

And indeed Aminifu was right, you too, me too, and I missed the only important line.
Old 1st October 2011, 20:41   #66
MrSinatra
Forum King

afaic, the person asking for help should conform to what is being asked by others attempting to help them, without that person saying "reread it." the thread was too long and it was also confused and confusing. just b/c i didn't spell all that out, doesn't mean it isn't so, and it was besides the point, since the point was trying to solve your issue; thats what i was concentrating on, and its what you should have been concentrating on.

regardless, i won't make the same mistake again, (w/you). you weren't even listening to what was said anyway.

--
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:17   #67
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Sista K,

All's well that ends well. Glad things are back to normal.

I still would like to know what 'triggers' the generation of these hidden files.
MrSinatra says Windows Media Player makes them, but you said you have
disabled WMP. I use WMP for video files and have all it's options for retrieving
metadata turned off. But I still get random hidden cover art files from time to time.

I guess it's just Windows trying to be helpful.
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:14   #68
Sista K

Hi Aminifu,

well it can't be WMP since I never launched it and downright disabled it, I use BSplayer instead. But I can't remember anything that I could've done to trigger this. I've been using Winamp for about 10 years and it's the first time something like that happens, so I hope it was just a one-time thing but if it's not I'll know what to do and if I find any common points I'll let you know !

Thanks again
Old 20th October 2018, 17:23   #69
tsunami

im assumimg gracenotes and autotagging files it what gives use the correct album art and info?

ONly issue I have had with winamp since this limbo started is album art is wrong
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 19:35   #70
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
im assumimg gracenotes and autotagging files it what gives use the correct album art and info?

ONly issue I have had with winamp since this limbo started is album art is wrong
Not sure I follow u? Gracenote hasn't worked for years. Also, idk when the album art lookup stopped working but pretty sure that is dead too, (it was allmusic).

--
Old 20th October 2018, 19:59   #71
tsunami

hmm, lets if i can explain different since winamp got bought out and a went into limbo, The ablum art on my mp3 is wrong like (example ablum art for said "album" is just reused alots) that is what only issue I have with winamp which really isnt an issue it just OCD thing IF i use window media player or what ever it pulls the right album art, but I die hard lhama fan so I will never change media players ,

I know album art lookup been broke since the limbo and everything else, that is one thing I would like fixed in Winamp. IF the MP3 dont have correct album art embeded in it already it just reused albume art for most part from other albums from the band, but some times it just has wrong album art entirely, and I not gona go threw 20000+ mp3 to correct the album arnt manually.

All thought if I read notes right the crash when editing file info should be fixed, for I can put the correct album art there per files but that would be just to time consuming.
Old 20th October 2018, 20:06   #72
musicf8
Major Dude

Tsunami, I get the same issue and a lot of times get random album art. I am wondering if its a library caching issue

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

Winamp v5.6.6.3516 bumping on Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500 (Winamp 5.8 Beta )
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 01:57   #73
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
hmm, lets if i can explain different since winamp got bought out and a went into limbo, The ablum art on my mp3 is wrong like (example ablum art for said "album" is just reused alots) that is what only issue I have with winamp which really isnt an issue it just OCD thing IF i use window media player or what ever it pulls the right album art, but I die hard lhama fan so I will never change media players ,

I know album art lookup been broke since the limbo and everything else, that is one thing I would like fixed in Winamp. IF the MP3 dont have correct album art embeded in it already it just reused albume art for most part from other albums from the band, but some times it just has wrong album art entirely, and I not gona go threw 20000+ mp3 to correct the album arnt manually.

All thought if I read notes right the crash when editing file info should be fixed, for I can put the correct album art there per files but that would be just to time consuming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
Tsunami, I get the same issue and a lot of times get random album art. I am wondering if its a library caching issue
i am pretty sure you both will find the answer to whatever your specific issue is in this thread, but lets take the issue / bug over there, instead of here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....80#post3162680

--
Old 21st October 2018, 02:05   #74
MrSinatra
Forum King

Tsunami and musicf8,

it may be a cache issue as musicf8 suggested, and there's never any harm in closing winamp, and deleting its cache or temp files. feel free to try it.

also, u should be aware of if any of your files have any embeds, or not.

finally, you should look for artwork in the folders where the files are, taking care to make sure the windows explorer settings reveal both hidden and system files.

chances are its 99.9% one of those things. see previous posts in this thread for more detailed info, b/c its likely already "covered" here.

--
Old 21st October 2018, 02:10   #75
musicf8
Major Dude

I dunno MrSinatra, it's a 7 year old thread that's like a freshman college kid looking back at his 5th grade distance
I kid of course, i'm all about keeping threads consistent. I will state and leave it at this, if it is a caching problem then there will be no fix for winamp, per se. The other thought is that it's just a tag issue which might be fixed via MP3Diag, which I (barely) started doing on all my music. This isn't something new to me, as it's something i've noticed since cover art was included so on my end it's most likely a id3v2 issue (except aWARemote pro, which I know is a caching issue)

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

Winamp v5.6.6.3516 bumping on Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500 (Winamp 5.8 Beta )
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 10:14   #76
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
if it is a caching problem then there will be no fix for winamp, per se.
why? we can't be sure that 5.8 3660 is the last desktop ver of winamp.

Quote:
The other thought is that it's just a tag issue which might be fixed via MP3Diag, which I (barely) started doing on all my music. This isn't something new to me, as it's something i've noticed since cover art was included so on my end it's most likely a id3v2 issue
i personally do not believe it is a caching issue. while there are a handful of times i can recall winamp's caching was the problem, it is exceedingly rare.

while more likely, i also do not believe it is a tagging problem. it almost never is embeds when multiple files share the same erroneous artwork. (i also don't believe it has anything to do with gracenote, autotag, or winamp's cover art lookup).

i do believe it is very likely that you both have Folder.jpg (or similar) files in the folders where the files/songs experiencing the issue are. these art files are often marked as system and hidden files, so you have to go into windows explorer and change the settings to show you such files. the fix is to make sure only the files that are in a given subfolder, are in with the art you want them to have. afterwards, u have to refresh the view/art in winamps ML.

if this does not fix the issue, i def want to know more.

--
Old 21st October 2018, 15:09   #77
tsunami

There is no hidden album art picture in the folder and clearing the cache dont fix it

IF i do the whole Move the file someplace else thing and then put in in ML there is no album art at all cause I HAD at once point start puting album arts manual in them but it would take way to long to do so to correct them all so i gave up
Old 21st October 2018, 15:27   #78
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
There is no hidden album art picture in the folder and clearing the cache dont fix it

IF i do the whole Move the file someplace else thing and then put in in ML there is no album art at all cause I HAD at once point start puting album arts manual in them but it would take way to long to do so to correct them all so i gave up
did u set windows explorer to show u BOTH hidden AND system files?

if so, what you need to do first at this point, is go to a 2 pane view, where the artists or albumartists are listed in the first pane, and then set the second pane to show small album art icons, (bottom pane is tracks).

then highlight ALL the small album art icons. hover over the album art and right click and click "refresh album art"

if u still see the wrong art, its b/c the art is either in the folder, or embedded in the file.

so what happens?

--
Old 21st October 2018, 15:56   #79
tsunami

there isnt but once I "manual" start put album covers in to the file info there is jpg for the ablum, see what I getting at 45% of collection has correct album cover embeded in to MP3 files, that is what I want, I dont to be having lose jpg in my mp3 folders to fix this
Old 21st October 2018, 16:03   #80
tsunami

likes said I want correct cover art embedded in to file, but winamp in no way picks up or finds cover art, it has to be embbeded in file or it has to be manual put in to the file which leave jpg in the albums folder which dont really want, this more OCD thing most times it dont bother me
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support