Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 23rd April 2011, 22:42   #41
HeldImZelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedshaw View Post
I had to delete the profiles manually.
c:\users\<account name>\appdata\roaming\winamp
Thanks!

Sometimes it can help if you log 'access denied' with Procmon. In Winamp case it showed two 'HKLM/.../Explorer' entries but i didn't want to raise privileges of that keys though. The picture is just an example (not winamp related) since i deleted the 'winamp.ini' already and the problem is fixed.
HeldImZelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 13:34   #42
stopasking
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyskank View Post
Hi, I was getting the UAC admin password prompt on every startup of Winamp too. Just to let you know, unchecking the box "Restore file associations at Winamp startup" stopped this from happening.

That's Options -> Preferences -> File Types. Thanks to DJ Egg for that information.
Thx man.. that was the problem (Win7 x64 Winamp 5.6.0.1)
stopasking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 13:39   #43
DrO

/me bangs head on desk.

if you were using the supported version of Winamp then that would have been automatically fixed for you as per
Quote:
* Misc: Default "Restore file associations at Winamp start" setting to "off" on Vista+
which is from the 5.62 changelog.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 19:34   #44
hazysonic

I've tried these tricks and still having the UAC every time I open an mp3 file - annoying! I did "run as administrator", made sure the appropriate boxes were unticked, uninstalled and re-installed as admin. No luck.

Anyone get any closer to fixing this very annoying problem??
hazysonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 12:56   #45
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazysonic View Post
I've tried these tricks and still having the UAC every time I open an mp3 file - annoying! I did "run as administrator", made sure the appropriate boxes were unticked, uninstalled and re-installed as admin. No luck.

Anyone get any closer to fixing this very annoying problem??
What is annoying is people asking the same question in different places after it has been answered already.

Batter Pudding told you what the problem is and it is not Winamp. To restate what was said in the other thread; your problem is trying to use old 3rd party plug-ins on an OS they are not compatible with. If you can't get those who made these plug-ins to update them, or you can't find Windows 7 compatible alternatives, and you must use them, then there are only 2 things to do.

1. Learn to live with the UAC prompts and any other 'special' things needed to be done just to use them (due to the incompatibility of these old plug-ins).

2. Uninstall Windows 7 and reinstall XP (the OS these plug-ins where designed for).

Plug-ins are separate little apps running along with Winamp. Some older apps were written in a generic enough way that Windows 7 can use special built-in handling to deal with them. Unfortunately, some were not written this way, so the backward compatibility 'tricks' do not work.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 20:37   #46
hazysonic

why so rude??? I don't know Batter Pudding, and there's def no posts in this thread by him. I didn't know that plugins were the cause. Don't really appreciate you biting my head off for asking for a winamp prob in the winamp forum. I did multiple searches and this seemed like the most appropriate place to ask.
hazysonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 20:43   #47
DrO

Aminifu is referring to the other thread you bumped at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=326141 (which does have Batter Pudding's post in it).

so Aminifu most likely to that thread but managed to post in this thread by mistake (though is a fair point that bumping multiple threads about an issue isn't the best of things to do).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 14:36   #48
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazysonic View Post
why so rude??? I don't know Batter Pudding, and there's def no posts in this thread by him. I didn't know that plugins were the cause. Don't really appreciate you biting my head off for asking for a winamp prob in the winamp forum. I did multiple searches and this seemed like the most appropriate place to ask.
I don't think I was rude. I stated my opinion of what you did (which I don't appreciate) and re-answered your question, in my own words. Sorry for hurting your feelings.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 19th March 2013, 17:44   #49
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

'ere... someone is talking about me...

Linking these two threads together may at least help someone else who posts on every thread. But it is a certain way of winding people up. Forum netiquette old bean.

Don't forget once you post on a dead zombie thread it pops it back up the top of the forum. Which means us old gits all scream at the memories of Vista you have hauled back out. Just as we had got rid of all the nightmares....

Often tips from a two year old thread like this can cause more trouble than it is worth. The answers here of messing with UAC or compatibility settings are not going to help - and often hinder you more trying to get to the correct answer. This thread's fix is well noted in DrO's last post of "we fixed it in v5.62"

Hopefully working through your plugins will be an answer for you. Post over in that other thread any findings so you can help out other people if they are using the same out of date plugin. Leave this poor old thread to die in peace with all those memories of Vista.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 03:08   #50
beorn

So here I am, and I'm using the latest winamp version (5.63), and I didn't install any plugins, I don't even know how to do that. My OS is Windows 7 x64, and I still get the annoying UAC window.
What do I do next?
beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 08:32   #51
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

You should get the UAC window once at startup of the first run. And that's it. Next run you shouldn't see it unless you change the file associations.

What have you changed in the settings? To start with - make sure you haven't followed any of the advice in this old thread about compatibility settings, etc. This is all out of date.
Old 10th April 2013, 09:59   #52
beorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
You should get the UAC window once at startup of the first run. And that's it. Next run you shouldn't see it unless you change the file associations.

What have you changed in the settings? To start with - make sure you haven't followed any of the advice in this old thread about compatibility settings, etc. This is all out of date.
I see it everytime. I didn't follow any advice. I checked "restore file assosiations" setting and it's off. I think I only changed skin to classic.
Old 10th April 2013, 10:05   #53
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@beorn: were you installing on top of an old Winamp? Or totally fresh?

This is quite strange. I have installed a few fresh copies of Winamp lately on Win7 PCs without troubles. So something is different on your machine we need to track down.
Old 10th April 2013, 10:16   #54
beorn

on the top of 5.5x
Old 10th April 2013, 10:21   #55
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Have a look at the shortcut you are starting Winamp with. Right click and select Properties. Check the Compatibility tab and make sure that NOTHING is ticked on this page. (You may also need to check behind the <Change settings for all users> button too)

You may have "fixes" in place from last time still.
Old 10th April 2013, 10:28   #56
beorn

there's nothing
Old 10th April 2013, 10:42   #57
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

You are installed in the normal C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder?

I am also assuming there is nothing "unusual" about your Win7 setup. No odd security setups, and generally a "standard" install of fully patched windows.

We need to look at plugins I think. Something is loading up with Winamp that is needing more rights than it should. Look for the Winamp Info tool in the forum, run it, then look in the report for the list of plugins in use. Paste it up here and we'll see if we can spot what is causing the troubles.

Winamp Info Tool Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 10:53   #58
beorn

Yes, the directory is standard and there's nothing special about the system.
I attached the report.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_10.04.2013.txt (13.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 10th April 2013, 11:11   #59
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

That is a very minimal install. I have had a quick skim through the report while comparing it to mine. Can't see anything obvious that stands out. I'd start by re-running the installer and checking that all needed components are ticked.

Or maybe it is worth using the Winamp backup tool to backup the stuff you want to keep like playlists, library, etc. You have such a minimal setup of Winamp this is probably the simplest\quickest solution for you.

Uninstall Winamp.
Delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\ folder
Delete the C:\users\admin\appdata\winamp\ folder
Reinstall Winamp fresh.

(I have to go out now... but I'll be back later... hopefully someone else will drop by with some ideas, if not I'll return...)
Old 10th April 2013, 15:52   #60
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi beorn,

According to your Info report from post #58, you have enabled the General Preferences Playback options for surround sound, dithering, and forced mono.

Why? Don't like stereo? Surround sound + mono is a contradiction of actions. I suggest you disable all 3 of those options and leave "Allow 24bit" disabled too. However these options should not affect the UAC prompt either way, but they will change how things sound.

You have told Winamp to register the following file types; "FLAC; FLA; MP3; MP2; MP1; AAC; VLB; M3U; M3U8; PLS; B4S". The last 4 are various kinds of playlist files. I'm not familiar with FLA and VLB. They may be video formats (I don't use Winamp for playing videos). The other file types are various audio formats. But you have only installed the input (decoder) plug-in for the mp3 format. I suggest you reinstall and add all the missing audio and video input plug-ins or deselect all the file types associated with Winamp, except for mp3 and the playlists.

Winamp may be trying to register data for the missing input plug-ins. Registration would trigger the UAC prompt. Normally registration is done once with the initial install, but I don't know what happens when it tries to register file types for missing components.

You having only installed modern skins and are using the Bento skin (a modern all-in-one skin), but have not installed many of the things normally used by this and the other modern skins. However, that should not affect the UAC prompt, but may cause you usability problems.

I'm mostly guessing here. I've never tried using Winamp with so much missing. I suggest you install more components to see if things work without causing the UAC prompt. Then disable what you don't want (rename each plug-in's filename extension to ".off"), 1 plug-in at a time, to see if the problem returns.

Old 10th April 2013, 16:29   #61
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@ Aminifu: (I have to be honest, this is the first time I have read one of these reports as I was more used to the Nunz tool)

I noticed those Surround and Mono options. They are just standard Winamp things buried away. I also have them in my Winamp. Surround is on - but I only have 2.1 speakers. No idea what Dithering is doing but that is also on? I do have both Forced Mono and Equalizer off, so fairly "normal" there. These are the kinds of things that get fiddled with over the years of having a PC and think they are misleading in this case.

Forced Mono will really make music sound dead. Though I have seen genuine, sensible uses were someone is deaf in one ear turns it on.

I think you have it on the list of Audio Types. I was also wondering about that. This is why I was trying to get beorn to re-run the installer. Nothing is gained by removing Playback options. Not as if any sensible disk space is gained by reducing Winamp's abilities.

And like you, I may not use Winamp for video - but I still allow it the ability to handle all video types. I just don't set it as the default program for video.
Old 10th April 2013, 18:08   #62
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Batter Pudding,

The following is 'cut & paste' from the Preferences Guide.

<quote>
Playback

Playback thread priority: Set global priority class for mp3, mp4/m4a, wav, ogg, flac & wma playback. Choose between "Lowest" to "Highest (default)" settings.
Allow 24bit: Enables 24-bit playback for sound cards which support it. True 24bit soundcards output at 24bit, therefore the soundcard won't need to upsample 16bit to 24bit if Winamp is already sending it a 24bit audio stream.
Allow surround sound: Enables surround sound for files encoded in e.g. 5.1-channel format.
Use Dither: Enables dither for supporting formats (currently, .ogg and .flac only).
Force Mono: Disables stereo output.
<unquote>

In addition, when you try to enable "Allow 24bit" you get a pop-up warning you of potential problems.

I have a 24bit soundcard and a compatible DSP plug-in and I have tried this option. For my setup, it sounds slightly better if I let my soundcard or a 3rd party output plug-in do the upsampling.

As I said, I don't think these options are causing the UAC prompt issue. It was just something odd in the report I felt I should mention. Users should use these options if they gain a benefit from doing so, but e.g. using surround and mono at the same time does not make sense.

It is very true that things get fiddled with over time (and forgotten), but when the weird starts happening it's not a bad idea to look over all the Winamp options for things that are contradictory or don't make sense for how Winamp is being used at the moment.

Old 10th April 2013, 19:00   #63
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

HAhaha... typical useless manual. All of those items are not exactly "defined" are they? They have been defined in terms of itself. "Use Dither: Enables dither...". Err... so what is Dither? Funny. (No - I don't want an answer as I don't want to pull this off topic)

I think the important bit here is for beorn to re-run that installer and add a few more parts of Winamp in again.

And turn his stereo back on... surely he can't want Mono?
Old 10th April 2013, 20:15   #64
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
@ Aminifu: (I have to be honest, this is the first time I have read one of these reports as I was more used to the Nunz tool)
What exactly is the the difference or make the Info Tool reports more hard to read?
Quote:
Use Dither: Enables dither for supporting formats (currently, .ogg and .flac only).
Yup, only working for flac and ogg vorbis files. Was an option in the old Vorbis decoder, before it used global playback settings.

'fla' is a poor extension for flac container, similar to the wrongly and often used 'mpe' for mpeg.
It just misses the 'c' at the end. A lot of encoders used that extension in the past and I guess Nullsoft implemented it for better compatibility.

It seems, that I have to work a bit on the reported crossfade options, need to insert the default value, if the options are enabled but Winamp's config file golds no vlues.

-Chris
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 20:40   #65
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Well... we are successfully drowning this thread now... well, it is an out of date thread but beorn don't be put off - we will still help you.

@Koopa - Your tool looks great to me. I am just not used to it. It was not a criticism. I only dipped into Nunz now and then. Your tool looks great - though the only thought did have was "how do I tell an official plugin apart from a third-party one?" But then I always had that problem in Nunz. For those not used to reading the reports it may be worth finding a way of marking "official" winamp plugins as different to "third party". In my case I just compared to my own PC(s)

(It is why I usually leave plugin troubleshooting to other forumites....)
Old 10th April 2013, 20:56   #66
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

it would be possible, that something was more easy to read in the Nunz report, that's why I'm asking.

Quote:
For those not used to reading the reports it may be worth finding a way of marking "official" winamp plugins as different to "third party". In my case I just compared to my own PC(s)

(It is why I usually leave plugin troubleshooting to other forumites....)
If you've done it for a while, you know when you see the file name, if it's official or not (and version numbers will come in an upcoming release which makes things more easy I hope)

The problem is, that even third parties can use the file name of an official plugin (just look at the old MP3 input plugins, I'm aware about 2 others, which used in_mp3.dll as file name or Gutenberg's old enc_vorbis.dll/in_flac.dll)

So marking as official doesn't work, it would be more 'guessing' then. Otherwise you have to work with some kind of HASH system to verify the integrity of the files, but this would require updates for each Winamp release then.

-Chris
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 21:25   #67
beorn

Thanks everyone, the problem got resolved by wiping Winamp with RevoUninstaller and installing it fresh. Somehow the settings still got saved (skin, layout), but no more UAC prompts.
Just as a note, I'm pretty sure I didn't force mono or dither or something like that.
Old 11th April 2013, 05:06   #68
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi beorn,

Glad to hear things are working for you. A fresh start (clean uninstall and reinstall) does usually help as a last resort. I say last resort because you then need to rebuild any media library and gracenote database files.

The gracenote files are created if you use the automatic playlist generation feature. The media library files not only provides various listings of your media, but keeps track of when you have used your files over time (if the history tracking option is enabled). The media library can also be used to save file ratings (if the ratings are not, or can not be, saved in the files themselves).

There is an excellent tool (link below) to backup these database files, so that you can reuse them (if they are not corrupt or the source of any problems). The tool also lets you backup other user data peculiar to your configuration that you may not want to have to recreate.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153

Old 11th April 2013, 09:46   #69
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@beorn: Great to hear it is working for you now.
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:32   #70
cytherian

I just want to add to this thread, as I found a solution that is a little different and worked for me.

Removing "NSA" from the conflig_extlist variable in "winamp.ini" didn't do the job in my case. I wasn't sure what other extension reference could be it, so I took a chance and cleared the variable. When I re-ran WinAmp, the UAC prompt stopped. The list was rebuilt, but only with the bare minimum:

config_extlist=MP3:MP2:MP1:AAC:VLB:M3U:M3U8:PLS:B4S

Also, it meant that all of the other file extensions wouldn't work any longer. So, that wasn't a workable solution. When I added extensions back that I wanted to be supported in WinAmp, the UAC prompt started again and those extensions didn't work. So, editing the Conflig_Extlist variable causes functional corruption.

I uninstalled WinAmp, rebooted, then ran the WinAmp setup program again as Administrator. I went through all of the steps, but at the end after WinAmp launched I went immediately to the file preferences and made a few changes to force the config_extlist to be altered (I had deselected "NSA" and "NSV" through the UI).

After this, WinAmp would start normally without the UAC prompt. And, file types beyond the core few (I think about 8 types) would work, which includes WAV, FLAC, OGG, etc.

Anyway, from all the chatter about this problem, it appears that some people are affected differently. On the odd chance you're one of those people who hasn't found any of them to work, perhaps my tip might help.
cytherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support