Old 5th May 2000, 19:15   #1
DiegoM

I try to play wav files and get this error message: Couldn´t find destination format. Whats must I do?
Old 5th May 2000, 19:34   #2
mjmattson

Same here...I wonder what is going on...
mjmattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2000, 00:09   #3
fmejiasf

I have the same problem, I have windows NT 4.0(SR5). I got the problem after install last version of windows media player.

Please help,

Freddy

fmejiasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2000, 03:38   #4
Glen L. Davy

I've got the same problem as well.I'm running windows 95 and when I try to run Wav. files in the winamp 2.62 the latest download, it says "Couldn't find destination format" Gee we could start a club ....Glen
Glen L. Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2000, 08:11   #5
mjmattson

Yeah we could, but I would rather not have to...Does *anyone* know what is going on with this error? It almost seems as if windows doesn't recognize the format (try right clicking on a file you want to play and selecting Properties and see what it says).

I certainly hope that an intstall didn't damage a windows codec...
Old 6th May 2000, 14:48   #6
lynx

Ive been having the same problem too,the strange thing is i downloaded about 20 wav files and some of them worked so im not quite sure whats going on.please if anyone knows how to fix this problem e mail me at... lynx_46@hotmail.com thanks alot.
lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2000, 17:52   #7
mjmattson

Same here with the mp3's working from some sites but not others. I would have accepted that the site was the problem, but others with Winamp 2.62 where I work were able to download from that site and play them with no problem...please email me at mmattson@epicrealm.com if you can figure out the problem.
Old 6th May 2000, 20:51   #8
mjmattson

Sorry...I meant .wav files in my last post...not mp3's...
Old 8th May 2000, 07:20   #9
mjmattson

Does anyone have an idea as to what is causing this problem?
Old 9th May 2000, 01:15   #10
fmejiasf

Hello every one.

For some reason, now I can play the wav files. I did what mjmattson said. I select all the ~.was files, then write press Shift + Right click, then select PLAY IN WINAMP, and then magically my wav files were played on winamp.
Please try, I hope will work also for you.

Freddy.
fmejiasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2000, 01:31   #11
mjmattson

I didn't exactly mean to do that, but if it worked for you...GREAT! One down....

I tried this, but it didn't work for me =(
Old 10th May 2000, 00:22   #12
numb

I've got the same problem. I'm in win98 and
I'm pretty sure I've got the current mediaplayer. what's weird is that all the files are playable so long as I use mediaplayer and browse for the selected files. If I try using winamp (be it selecting the file directly or in a playlist) I'll get the error.
Old 19th May 2000, 22:28   #13
James2795

Have the very same problem! I'm on win98 and sounds like I've tried what everyone else already has. My e-mail is jfb2795@aol.com if someone can help me. I'll continue to look and if I find out I will come back and spread the word.
Old 20th May 2000, 01:45   #14
James_az

Same problem here.

Machine is Windows 2000
Winamp version is 2.6.2
Windows Media Player version is 6.4.09.1109

I can play the default wav's that come with w2k (i.e. chimes.wav, chord.wav). But when I d/l wavs I get the error everyone else is getting. In fact, when I open them with Sound Recorder it does not even give me the option to click the play button. Yet media player will play the wav file perfectly.

I think somebody's program stomped on some codec, but who?

I wish a winamp person would at least make a comment on this post chain.
Old 20th May 2000, 09:58   #15
TheSilence

well, moral of the story is NOT to use winamp for your wav files. Just use MediaPlayer...maybe someone already said that and i missed it though...? Why use winamp for wav's anyway? Your playlist just gets ruined as soon as you double click that wav file. Imagine working for an hour on a really cool playlist and you forget to save it and "oops", you just double clicked on a retarted sound of yours and awwwwww no more play list...lame.
Old 20th May 2000, 10:01   #16
TheSilence

Just to add to the previous reply...I too had your guys' problem when i installed the new version of winamp. Everything was all f***ed up until I downloaded the new version of MediaPlayer fro microsoft's website and installed it. Then my wav files were back to normal. Don't use winamp to play your wav's....bad bad evil stuff may happen.
Old 22nd May 2000, 03:57   #17
mjmattson

Someone, *anyone* from Nullsoft needs to address this problem...
Old 22nd May 2000, 05:17   #18
majickaL

Im joining the club. after reinstalling win98SE, and dling winamp and the windows media player, I too am having this problem. Have tried uninstalling winamp and reinstalling media player...nuttin'. It seems to be occuring only with MP3 layered wavs...Heeeelllppp...
Old 22nd May 2000, 07:22   #19
majicka

Send a message via ICQ to majicka
HA! I have found the solution..its a codec that is needed. I have it. took me all nite but I solved it!!! WINAMP is EVIL!!!
majicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2000, 07:28   #20
majicka

Quote:
Originally posted by majicka:
HA! I have found the solution..its a codec that is needed to solve the winamp issue. Im not sure if it works w/ winamp..I had to uninstall winamp, reinstall windows media player, then execute the codec. I have it. took me all nite but I solved it!!! WINAMP is EVIL!!! If You Need The File ICQ me or something.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 10:25 PM]
Old 22nd May 2000, 19:46   #21
James_az

That would be nice, except the problem isn't just with winamp. Even when I try to assign wavs to various tasks (under sounds in control panel) it cannot play them.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSilence:
well, moral of the story is NOT to use winamp for your wav files. Just use MediaPlayer...maybe someone already said that and i missed it though...? Why use winamp for wav's anyway? Your playlist just gets ruined as soon as you double click that wav file. Imagine working for an hour on a really cool playlist and you forget to save it and "oops", you just double clicked on a retarted sound of yours and awwwwww no more play list...lame.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 10:26 PM]
Old 22nd May 2000, 22:14   #22
progirl

Winamp doesn't recognize my .wav files, I am taking directly from a cd I bought and I want to burn them on a new blank disk does anyone know how to do this??

Old 23rd May 2000, 16:43   #23
Johan

I´m having the same problem as you guys, but I´m getting the error message when trying to play my .mp3-files...?

It seems like the new version of Winamp has
got some serious bug...

Why does everyone at Winamp.com ignore this
problem???!?!
Maybe we should try another Mp3-player...
The staff at winamp.com doesn´t seem to be bothered by all our questions...

Old 24th May 2000, 00:36   #24
majicka

It has to do w/ the missing codec, once you install the new version of winamp, it screws up all MP3 layered wavs/media...i use a chat proggie called IRC and I use a player called TXPLAY..its screwed it up in there too..its a missing codec..trust me I ripped my hair out for 12 hrs until I figured it out. ICQ me if you need it.
Quote:
Originally posted by James_az:
That would be nice, except the problem isn't just with winamp. Even when I try to assign wavs to various tasks (under sounds in control panel) it cannot play them.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 10:28 PM]
Old 24th May 2000, 00:40   #25
majicka

If ya need the codec icq me.
Quote:
Same problem here.

Machine is Windows 2000
Winamp version is 2.6.2

I can play the default wav's that come with w2k (i.e. chimes.wav, chord.wav). But when I d/l wavs I get the error everyone else is getting. In fact, when I open them with Sound Recorder it does not even give me the option to click the play button. Yet media player will play the wav file perfectly.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 10:29 PM]
Old 24th May 2000, 00:51   #26
James_az

I do need the codec, I just need to remember to ICQ u from home tonight. I am at work and the firewall prevents us from using ICQ.

Thanks,
James

Quote:
Originally posted by majicka:
If ya need the codec icq me.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 10:30 PM]
Old 24th May 2000, 02:29   #27
mr. patience

I solved the problem by installing shareware Awave studio and converting all compressed (some say evil) .wav files. It takes some time, though... But hey, I'm Mr. Patience for a reason. When you have converted all your files (you REALLY need some space on your computer) you can play them on Winamp!
I hope it works for all of you too!
Old 24th May 2000, 04:08   #28
arnold8a

I also solved the problem installing a freeware program called mp3 compressor, it is also very cool get it in http://www.chez.com/mp3hc
Old 25th May 2000, 00:18   #29
loudmime

I don't have ICQ. What is the codec and how can I get it? Very important that I get this working on my machine!!!

Thanks!!

loudmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2000, 00:29   #30
mjmattson

The true issue is though WHY does installing Winamp mess up all the other players other than Media Player? Windows didn't change...but some posts make is sound like Windows "realized" that one player was trying to "auto upgrade" and prevented all others from working?

What codec was damaged (at least give its name)? At least then we could tell MS support about it and see what they could do.

Some of us don't ICQ so could you post the fix here?

Also...WHY does NULLSOFT not respond here? Eventually we will be able to easily solve this.
Old 25th May 2000, 04:26   #31
Tony

Winamp doesn't care this is just a chat room.
They could care less. if they have a problem they fix it. If we have a problem they forget it.
Old 25th May 2000, 14:22   #32
DewDude

Send a message via ICQ to DewDude Send a message via AIM to DewDude
Ummm.....

Are you guys using the DirectSound plugin? DirectSound is a bitch, it doesn't like "non-standard" wave files.
DewDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2000, 17:36   #33
mjmattson

All I did was update Winamp to 2.62...I assume that what Winamp uses wouldn't affect Ultraplayer, Sonique, Real, etc. This is some system level problem...
Old 26th May 2000, 15:24   #34
DewDude

Send a message via ICQ to DewDude Send a message via AIM to DewDude
Yeah, it's a system problem because I upgraded to Winamp 2.62 on about 50 computers (work and school) and had no problems. Just make sure DirectSound plugin isn't being used, that thing is a bitch.
DewDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2000, 02:27   #35
mjmattson

I have Winamp 2.62 on my Win98 machine with no problem, it's just when installed on NT 4.0 SP5 that it won't play wav's and generates that error. I just hope that *one* of the winamp developers get this problem so they realize how frustrating it is (that will definitely motivate them to find it). I know that it is hard to reproduce, but they need to get to the bottom of it.

In the meantime I just switched to media player...I'll try the next winamp release and see if it has been taken care of and "magically" fixed.
Old 3rd June 2000, 20:13   #36
corrina dale

Send a message via ICQ to corrina dale
Quote:
Originally posted by fmejiasf:
I have the same problem, I have windows NT 4.0(SR5). I got the problem after install last version of windows media player.

Please help,

Freddy

I had the same probblem and someone helped me sent me a file that fixed it if you want file contact me on ICQ # is 5448879

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 10:34 PM]
corrina dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2000, 20:15   #37
corrina dale

Quote:
Originally posted by DiegoM:
I try to play wav files and get this error message: Couldn´t find destination format. Whats must I do?
I had same thing someone sent me file to fix it if you want file ICQ me at 5448879

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 10:35 PM]
Old 3rd June 2000, 20:16   #38
corrina dale

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen L. Davy:
I've got the same problem as well.I'm running windows 95 and when I try to run Wav. files in the winamp 2.62 the latest download, it says "Couldn't find destination format" Gee we could start a club ....Glen
same probblem here but now have file to fix it if you want it ICQ me at 5448879

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 10:36 PM]
Old 3rd June 2000, 20:18   #39
corrina dale

Quote:
Originally posted by numb:
I've got the same problem. I'm in win98 and
I'm pretty sure I've got the current mediaplayer. what's weird is that all the files are playable so long as I use mediaplayer and browse for the selected files. If I try using winamp (be it selecting the file directly or in a playlist) I'll get the error.
I had same thing now have file to fix it ICQ me at 5448879 if you want the file

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 10:37 PM]
Old 3rd June 2000, 20:20   #40
corrina dale

Quote:
Same problem here.

Machine is Windows 2000
Winamp version is 2.6.2

I had same thing now have file to fix it ICQ me if you want file 5448879

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 10:38 PM]
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support