Old 6th January 2010, 17:28   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Winamp 5.571 crashes on Vista when using explorer context menu to add to ML

Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

steps to reproduce:

1. open winamp.
2. open windows explorer, navigate to folder with files to be added to winamp ML that aren't yet in the Media Library
3. right click on the folder, click "add to winamps media library" (context menu feature must first be enabled in prefs)
4. winamp crashes

DJ Egg, please conirm/deny ability to reproduce the issue! thx!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 18:30   #2
DrO

only way i can reproduce the issue is with gen_undo.dll present (which i'm looking into now) but need some more information from you like a plugins list at least as we're otherwise guessing.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 19:35   #3
DrO

well if it is gen_undo installed then this should hopefully resolve the crash otherwise we'd need some more detail like what the crash message, etc is.

-daz
Old 8th January 2010, 02:43   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
only way i can reproduce the issue is with gen_undo.dll present (which i'm looking into now) but need some more information from you like a plugins list at least as we're otherwise guessing.

-daz
where would i find gen_undo.dll ? its not in my winamp\plugins folder.

how do i create a plugins list for you?

--
Old 8th January 2010, 02:49   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
well if it is gen_undo installed then this should hopefully resolve the crash otherwise we'd need some more detail like what the crash message, etc is.

-daz
i don't know what gen_undo is nor do i think i have it.

the crash message is as i said, simply:

"winamp has stopped working

a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

this is the standard vista error message for an app crash.

--
Old 10th January 2010, 23:00   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

ping DrO?

--
Old 11th January 2010, 07:13   #7
DrO

details for making a plugin list can be found here though if you don't have gen_undo.dll present in the plugins folder then something else is causing the crash (which possibly means it is in gen_jumpex.dll (jtfe) instead as that is what implements the add to ml explorer menu.

as you're using Vista, is it an admin or a standard account you're running under when the issue happens?

-daz
Old 11th January 2010, 16:49   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
details for making a plugin list can be found here though if you don't have gen_undo.dll present in the plugins folder then something else is causing the crash (which possibly means it is in gen_jumpex.dll (jtfe) instead as that is what implements the add to ml explorer menu.

as you're using Vista, is it an admin or a standard account you're running under when the issue happens?

-daz
i believe its an admin account. i also did properties on the winamp shortcut and told it to run winamp in admin mode.

file attached

--
Old 11th January 2010, 21:35   #9
DrO

well i'm not able to see anything weird in the plugin's list though there is a 1.0.7.2 build of jtfe (though i don't remember doing anything with the build that may change this feature in the current revision).

one thought i've just had is what size folder are you clicking on when using the feature (which i will say has shown up an issue with my implementation that skips adding anything if the first folder just contains a folder).

if you can have a look at the crash logs in the system's event viewer then that may help me to work out the issue (though i'll look to make a test build in the next day or so).

-daz
Old 11th January 2010, 22:26   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
well i'm not able to see anything weird in the plugin's list though there is a 1.0.7.2 build of jtfe (though i don't remember doing anything with the build that may change this feature in the current revision).
afaik it was a clean install of 5.571, so is that not what ships with it? should it be newer?

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
one thought i've just had is what size folder are you clicking on when using the feature (which i will say has shown up an issue with my implementation that skips adding anything if the first folder just contains a folder).
2.33GB, 484 files, 43 folders.

i don't understand what you mean when you say "if the first folder contains just a folder." can u illustrate an example?

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
if you can have a look at the crash logs in the system's event viewer then that may help me to work out the issue (though i'll look to make a test build in the next day or so).

-daz
thx. took a while to find:

Quote:
Faulting application winamp.exe, version 5.5.7.2810, time stamp 0x4b2f0bcd, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03821, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0003e13d, process id 0x1af4, application start time 0x01ca931503319da0.

--
Old 11th January 2010, 23:04   #11
DrO

1.0.7.2 was released a few days ago in response to issues after the 5.571 release.

"if the first folder contains just a folder." would be <folder1>\<folder2>\<files in here>

had a feeling the crash report wasn't going to be too informative. oh well, will have to run off a test-build now.

-daz
Old 11th January 2010, 23:19   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

yeah, my structure is:

..\music\artist\album\tracks.mp3

"music" is what i right click on.

will happily test your fix, just let me know. thx.

(btw, did you see benski attempted a start for ratings in the tag?)

--
Old 13th January 2010, 03:56   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

FYI:

just installed 5.572 but no joy. same exact behavior as before, (it crashes).

--
Old 13th January 2010, 08:28   #14
DrO

i wasn't expecting 5.572 to resolve the issue though i'll note that i threw my complete music collection on my Vista machine at the 5.572 setup and there was no crash.

i've still to finish some testing on other machines before i get a test build sorted out.

-daz
Old 13th January 2010, 16:57   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

are you saying you can't reproduce the issue? i wonder why it works for you and not for me? do you have UAC off or some setting like that? admin things?

--
Old 14th January 2010, 11:45   #16
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSinatra
are you saying you can't reproduce the issue?
correct, i've not been able to reproduce it on any of my machines currently though it makes me wonder if it's a stackoverflow or a failure in a different module which the plugin triggers (like the bold font issue kN0tte kept seeing). is why i've now got to add in some logging to try to see where the issue may be coming from.

-daz
Old 14th January 2010, 16:51   #17
mhanor

MrSinatra, what's your PC specs? (CPU, RAM)
also, you could use Process Monitor from Sysinternals, to see if Winamp crashes at some specific file and then try to open it independently

Last edited by mhanor; 14th January 2010 at 17:17.
mhanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 05:42   #18
MrSinatra
Forum King

guys,

i figured it out not by doing what you said but inspired by it...

as it turns out, either the filename, or the combo of filepath/filename was too long on a few of my new rips.

i rip cds with EAC and for some damn reason it can create files which are then useless b/c of some arbitrary windows limitation on these path/name lengths.

i do not know if winamp would have crashed if i scanned them with winamp WITHOUT using the windows explorer context menu. i should have tried but i didn't. (thats important b/c it would let you know if that situation always crashes winamp scans or only crashes winamp IF you use your plugin to add to ML)

but at least we have more info to go off on now, and perhaps a more elegant solution than crashing can be developed for when this situation occurs.

--
Old 15th January 2010, 07:48   #19
mhanor

I tried to make Winamp trip by selecting several folders (46 or so, Winamp asked me to continue or not), which contain all kinds of files (media files included, such as avi's, mp3s, mkv's) and adding them to ML from the windows shell.
At the first attempt, some Winamp process that was running gave me a simple pop-up "Error on initialize" (I'm not sure it was the process that was already running) during the time it was adding files to ML. After that point, the Winamp processes that the windows shell was launching them (or were already launched by it) started to crash at different memory addresses. I closed what I could and terminated the rest.
I tried to reproduce what had happened in the same windows running session, but the following attempts were processed much faster and nothing happened with the same set of folders. I couldn't see any delayed Winamp processes. I assumed the caching of files was helping so I deleted some files from Winamp's settings folder and restarted the OS, to clear the OS file cache. With the ML empty again, I tried once more: I've launched prime95 with large FFT to slow down the PC (E6400, 2GB RAM). Again, several Winamp processes were running concurrently, but errors/no crash. I closed prime95 and hoped that the processes will do their thing and close. Suspending the first process was a bad idea, because I lost control of my PC.
I thought that your issue had something to do with running multiple processes at the same time, because of slow processing, so that's why I've asked you about your PC specs.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:29   #20
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSinatra
as it turns out, either the filename, or the combo of filepath/filename was too long on a few of my new rips.
can you paste a couple of the full folder+filepath's you've found to cause the issue so i can then replicate on my dev machine.

-daz
Old 15th January 2010, 17:16   #21
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by mhanor
I tried to make Winamp trip by selecting several folders (46 or so, Winamp asked me to continue or not), which contain all kinds of files (media files included, such as avi's, mp3s, mkv's) and adding them to ML from the windows shell.
At the first attempt, some Winamp process that was running gave me a simple pop-up "Error on initialize" (I'm not sure it was the process that was already running) during the time it was adding files to ML. After that point, the Winamp processes that the windows shell was launching them (or were already launched by it) started to crash at different memory addresses. I closed what I could and terminated the rest.
I tried to reproduce what had happened in the same windows running session, but the following attempts were processed much faster and nothing happened with the same set of folders. I couldn't see any delayed Winamp processes. I assumed the caching of files was helping so I deleted some files from Winamp's settings folder and restarted the OS, to clear the OS file cache. With the ML empty again, I tried once more: I've launched prime95 with large FFT to slow down the PC (E6400, 2GB RAM). Again, several Winamp processes were running concurrently, but errors/no crash. I closed prime95 and hoped that the processes will do their thing and close. Suspending the first process was a bad idea, because I lost control of my PC.
I thought that your issue had something to do with running multiple processes at the same time, because of slow processing, so that's why I've asked you about your PC specs.
i am not really following what you are saying above... it sounds like you have discovered separate issues or problems with it then i did.

my vista laptop has a core 2 proc, 2gig ram, etc... nothing special but current enough. i don't think machine specs had anything to do with my issue. when i "fixed" the problem files, everything worked as expected.

--
Old 15th January 2010, 17:31   #22
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
can you paste a couple of the full folder+filepath's you've found to cause the issue so i can then replicate on my dev machine.

-daz
unfortunately i can't... i already altered them all, which i had to do, to xfer them from my laptop to my main machine.

this limitation though is well documented on the web. the thing of it is, afaik, you can't manually create it, windows won't let you. somehow EAC gets away with it though.

vista will let you shorten the filename, but xp sometimes won't let you do ANYTHING, even delete the file! the workaround on XP is to shorten the filepath, and hopefully that gets you "under" the length needed.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx

Quote:
Maximum Path Length Limitation
In the Windows API (with some exceptions discussed in the following paragraphs), the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters. A local path is structured in the following order: drive letter, colon, backslash, name components separated by backslashes, and a terminating null character. For example, the maximum path on drive D is "D:\<some 256-character path string><NUL>" where "<NUL>" represents the invisible terminating null character for the current system codepage. (The characters < > are used here for visual clarity and cannot be part of a valid path string.)
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/filenames.htm

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...s-xp-and-vista

the general rule of thumb seems to be that the path + the filename should not exceed 255 characters.

very annoying.

--
Old 15th January 2010, 17:51   #23
DrO

that's a pain you've edited the paths as it would have been nicer to work against paths that were definitely known to not work.

i'm aware of the MAX_PATH limitiation (is the cause of people moaning that not all of their file types show when doing a All files filter in the open file dialogs).

there is actually a means to get paths up to 32000 chars from what i remember but i don't believe Explorer is generally designed to cope with it so is why some apps are able to go past this (EAC keeps coming up from these longer file name issues).

-daz
Old 15th January 2010, 18:02   #24
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
that's a pain you've edited the paths as it would have been nicer to work against paths that were definitely known to not work.

i'm aware of the MAX_PATH limitiation (is the cause of people moaning that not all of their file types show when doing a All files filter in the open file dialogs).

there is actually a means to get paths up to 32000 chars from what i remember but i don't believe Explorer is generally designed to cope with it so is why some apps are able to go past this (EAC keeps coming up from these longer file name issues).

-daz
maybe i'm not understanding you or you're not understanding me?

i filed this bug with you as a result of an exp using VISTA and EAC. the path in this example was not itself very long, but the filename was. i didn't actually count the characters, but my guess is the path (location) PLUS the filename was MORE THAN 255 characters.

to fix the issue, vista ALLOWS you to rename the files to shorter filenames. thats how i got it working again.

if it had been XP, i might have had to change the file path to a shorter value temporarily in order to manipulate the files, instead of the filename. XP is less forgiving in my exp with this issue.

anyway, i don't think it was the path, certainly no path with 32,000 characters. it was the COMBO of path plus filename.

i hope my error of "fixing" them prior to citing them to you doesn't hinder you in anyway? i am hoping you can recreate the issue based on the links i sent above, yes?

or perhaps if you can find "The most relaxing classical album in the world....EVER" and rip as a VA cd with EAC you can recreate the issue that way?

--
Old 15th January 2010, 19:28   #25
DrO

i count a 'path' as <drive>\<folders>\<filename> as a complete entity which is generally processed in my plugin and in Winamp as an entity as is though i'm guessing due to the full length being over 260 then there's a buffer overrun happening somewhere.

now i know what i'm contending with then i'll see what can be reproduced/improved in handling either in my code or in the Winamp code though i'm not going to be looking into it until next week now.

-daz
Old 15th January 2010, 22:43   #26
mhanor

c:\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\x.mp3

this causes a crash in my XP's ntdll.dll when I'm already running a Winamp process, by trying to add to ML the folder from the root of the partition, using a file manager (windows explorer, total commander)

It doesn't crash if I use Winamp's ML interface to add the folder

ps: windows explorer limits you on how big the path name can be, so use another file manager to create it
Old 22nd January 2010, 22:01   #27
MrSinatra
Forum King

it is interesting that winamps ML can add it via winamp, and that the crash only occurs when trying to add to the ML via windows explorer's context menu.

i thought this might be the case, glad you were able to confirm.

i wonder if this means you can't get DrO's plugin to work, b/c maybe the root cause of the error is with windows explorer and not circumventable?

better handling of the error might be all thats possible.

(i hope that doesn't stop you from trying to fully fix it though DrO!)

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports