Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Closed Thread
Old 6th October 2012, 20:21   #41
DrO

it's working as expected - the window has to be kept open for it to stream. you can minimise it but closing it will do what you're seeing as it's intended behaviour.

-daz
Old 6th October 2012, 20:47   #42
canadave

Ah, all right then...not a bug, a feature Fair enough. Thanks very much for the quick response!
Old 17th October 2012, 11:09   #43
DJ_MELERIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
2 other people have reported issues with the soundcard mode and with you, it now seems like there is a real problem. alas there's little i can do about it at the moment so all i can suggest is if soundcard input is how you use the Source DSP then you'd need to revert to v2.2.3 until a fix for the v2.3.x comes out (will likely be a few weeks before a fix is out).

-daz
ok, after doing some more tests, I can confirm that issue only happens when you select to use "soundcard input". btw v2.3.1 is affected by this issue too.

with v2.2.3 all working ok.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:12   #44
DrO

i know it affects all v2.3.x and is why i added it to the known issues with the release over 2 weeks ago and that my (official) suggestion is for those using soundcard input to keep using the older v2.2.3 until i get around to fixing the issue.

-daz
Old 20th October 2012, 01:30   #45
spectral_forces

Yes I can confirm the issue with sound card input.

You can see the input is coming in on the VU, it connects to the server ok but sends very small amounts of data. When you listen to the stream, I have had it connect for about 1 second and blast out white noise, the rest of the time it just buffers through the various percentages never playing anything.

OS Windows 7 x64
Sound Input from Traktor Audio 6 USB Sound Card.
Winamp 5.56 and then updated to latest version (issue remained)
English Language
Tried MP3 and AAC

There was no previous installation of shoutcast dsp on the laptop I was using. I did spend a couple of hours trouble shooting this before I thought of coming here Not sure how many people this effects, but maybe the version should be rolled back awaiting the fix? Installing 2.2.3 did fix the problem for me.
Old 20th October 2012, 01:41   #46
DrO

you're one of only a handful of people who have hit the issue and is why the old v2.2.3 installer was not removed from the download site so it is possible to revert to it if it's an issue.

reverting it completely when most people aren't using the soundcard input or just not bothering to report it is not helpful to the greater number of users due to the numerous other issues over v2.2.3 that the v2.3.x build resolve. as you're #5 to mention it, clearly there is little usage of the feature or people have not bothered to update or read about the issue and are not updating yet.

plus if the old one can still be accessed and the notes i've put in this release thread say to use it, that is things covered until i can get the time to work on the issue (which seems like it's going to be later today now that it's saturday).

-daz
Old 20th October 2012, 01:50   #47
spectral_forces

Fair enough its certainly a weighty changelog so many general benefits to others I'm sure.. I found the old release myself by shortening the url to http://download.nullsoft.com/shoutcast/tools/ and diving in there. I appreciate your work and didn't want to come across a nag, enjoy the football if you watch it! Cheers.
Old 20th October 2012, 10:59   #48
DrO

i've just finally had a chance to try this and capturing of the soundcard input from the default recording device on Windows 7 works. the only problem i found was that the level on the microphone device had been set to 0 (whether i'd done that before or not i cannot remember).

and when trying 2.2.3 i'm getting the same behaviour as i'm getting with 2.3.x in that i'm getting audio from the default recording device in the client i've got connected to a test DNAS.

so to clarify, all i've tested is changing from Winamp to soundcard mode and listening to the output in a client as well as recoding what is being encoded via the option on the encoder tab to verify that i'm getting the expected audio.

so am i testing the correct thing that everyone having this 'issue' is doing? (as i know layering of the audio via push to talk won't work as expected).

-daz
Old 20th October 2012, 11:26   #49
spectral_forces

Yep, that should have been all you had to do. I'll have another try a bit later today myself, I wasn't using a microphone as input but I certainly drilled down on the input I was using (Main in) on my Audio 6 and ensured levels where at 100 for recording and that device selected at the default. The only variation I can think of was that I'm using Legacy mode?
Old 20th October 2012, 11:33   #50
DrO

legacy mode is only for the protocol the DSP uses to connect to the DNAS server, it doesn't have any effect on getting the audio from the source. i only used the mic input as that's what i've got a cable going from the PC to a DS Lite running on a game title screen so i know i've got a continuous and known audio source coming in to capture.

only plus of looking into this is i've managed to reproduce a crash when switching the sample rate (which is likely to have been related to other crashes reported that i couldn't previously replicate).

-daz
Old 20th October 2012, 15:21   #51
DrO

from wasting the last 4 hours, if there is an issue then it's likely coming from changes which were made to try to isolate the Winamp vs Soundcard settings for the encoders but doesn't appear to have worked too well. as toggling from one mode to another is causing some issues including crashes in some cases or it using the wrong bitrate for the output which then leaves the stream being garbled.

so just on that alone i'm going to have to overhaul more of the handling than i would like. whether that helps with the reported issue or not i really don't know. so once i've finished things to a point where i think it's correctly i'll have to send out test builds (though that assumes people will respond this time around)

-daz
Old 20th October 2012, 17:57   #52
DrO

and the final update for the weekend, at least with the issues i've been seeing i've got it switching between Winamp and soundcard mode to not crash as often and it seems to work in a more consistent manner.

as well if the soundcard is set to a different samplerate than the encoder settings (e.g. 22.5khz vs 44.1khz) it will now revert back to the encoder setting in an expected manner when going back to Winamp (wouldn't properly do that before which lead to a load of audio junk).

the only issue i've got left is it doesn't want to do mono soundcard input (irrespective of the samplerate - though 22.5khz has a tendency to crash) or when it does it's running at double-speed or interspersed with clicks/white-noise which obviously isn't good. so that will be what i need to look into when i can next find time to work on this plug-in.

-daz
Old 20th October 2012, 18:26   #53
spectral_forces

Thanks for your efforts today from all erm, 5 of us! Is there anything more I can do to help test for you? I'll certainly try out any test builds that you come up with, or provide any log's or extra detail you require. Big up.
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:18   #54
DrO

i believe i've now got mp3 encoding working correctly so it'll keep going and won't crash, etc when flipping between Winamp and soundcard mode as well as when messing around with the soundcard input settings including going between stereo and mono mode. have also fixed a few other quirks where it was setting the wrong samplerate on loading which could cause it to be all messed up until manually changing the settings (though i doubt many / anyone would have noticed that as i suspect 44.1khz is the norm being used).

the only issue that is left is AAC+ encoding just stops when selecting mono soundcard mode so i'll need to look into that as i'm surprised the encoder cannot cope with a mono input (though it's simple enough to convert it to a stereo input if that's what's needed to get it working - though that then does tempt me to just remove the 'mono' input option).

-daz
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:47   #55
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
many people will appreciate these fixes, i'm sure.

the only comment i have beyond that, is that "mono" is useful for those who use low bitrates.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:26   #56
DrO

i think there might be some mixed-wires, i'm not saying removing mono encoding, just not having mono for the soundcard input options so it just becomes a samplerate selection instead of samplerate +mono/stereo.

-daz
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:55   #57
DrO

after too many hours than i should have spent looking into this, i think i've got a solution to the issues i was seeing and which i hope will also help with the issues being seen by those trying to use the soundcard input mode.

i will be sending a pm shortly to the people i think are most likely to be able to help (and actually respond) with a link to a test build to try out to see if i've resolved the issue or if i've been pulling my hear out for no reason, heh.

[edit]
and that's the pm's sent, now to twiddle my thumbs waiting...

-daz
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:15   #58
DJ_MELERIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
many people will appreciate these fixes, i'm sure.

the only comment i have beyond that, is that "mono" is useful for those who use low bitrates.
I think nobody use "mono" now, since HE-AAC v2 exist, because with HE-AAC v2 you can stream in: 24kbps, stereo, 44.1 khz, and the sound is good.
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:23   #59
DrO

well hopefully it doesn't matter either way as the changes in the test build appear to allow things to work ok with AAC encoding and using the mono input mode - am basically forcing the mono data obtained to stereo by duplicating the data to fill both channels as lame_enc needs left+right channel data and the AAC library used will just not run if told it's getting mono input data (really not sure why it cannot cope with it but converting to stereo resolves that 'issue' ).

-daz
Old 26th October 2012, 21:16   #60
spectral_forces

Quote:
and that's the pm's sent, now to twiddle my thumbs waiting...

-daz

Just picked mine up, will do my best to fit a test in over the weekend!
Old 26th October 2012, 22:00   #61
DrO

i'm not too hopeful based on the other response i've had but will wait and see (as i'm on other projects for the moment so this is going to drag on for a while anyway).

-daz
Old 28th October 2012, 05:21   #62
DJ_MELERIX

Quote:
i'm not too hopeful based on the other response i've had but will wait and see (as i'm on other projects for the moment so this is going to drag on for a while anyway).

-daz
seems you need more hands with shoutcast stuff, I guess you are working alone in all of this ?

may be you could consider make shoutcast stuff open-source in a future, in order to get more hands and people to test/improve things with more new ideas related with code.
Old 28th October 2012, 19:27   #63
DrO

more hands doesn't guarantee any help. yes we are a small team and that has it's issues but just open-sourcing code won't magically get any issue fixed (and usually introduces more to begin with). as for this issue, i'm not able to replicate it with your settings so i just don't see why it's not working correctly in comparison to the prior release as i never changed anything with the soundcard input so there is no obvious reason i can find - and i've spent far too long doing code compares to find and check the differences).

also the Source DSP was only ever intended for getting audio out of Winamp and the soundcard mode has always been a compromised experience and really if that is the focus for the audio input then the Source DSP is probably not what you should be using (alas you get what you pay for in this case).

i'm not saying that i'm not going to try to get it fixed but with other things going on (that i don't have to explain why) means this is low on my time allocation for the foreseeable future.

-daz
Old 1st November 2012, 12:36   #64
bartnikj

Quote:
mi'm not saying that i'm not going to try to get it fixed but with other things going on (that i don't have to explain why) means this is low on my time allocation for the foreseeable future.
I have the same issue - low to no stream while using "soundcard input". There is a workaround I found: in the input tab switch from 44100 Hz stereo to 22050 Hz stereo and back to 44100 Hz stereo (stereo is important as switching to mono crashes Winamp) - now it's working as it should.
I've tried with 3 different machines, 5 soundcards, 3 operating systems (XP, Vista, 7), 4 ISPs and 5 DNAS (also with 1.9.2 in legacy mode) and the issue and a workaround was the same.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:44   #65
DrO

i'm aware of the crash issues when switching (which is what i had been working on fixing with the build as mentioned a few posts up).

as for what you've said, that was one of the first things i said to people to do and based on what i've been told that doesn't work for them. however, the internal build was changed to make absolutely sure that it resets values as needed to make sure that what is selected is what is being used (or where needed it would convert mono to stereo as the AAC+ encoder will not accept mono input). though the reports i had back was that still wasn't working but as in the part of my post you've quoted, i've since not had the time to look into it further.

-daz
Old 1st November 2012, 13:54   #66
spectral_forces

I've tried the test build and although slightly more data is being sent, I can only hear snippets of sound, but thats better than I had previously.

I can confirm the workaround of switching to 22050 khz Stereo and then back to 44100 khz does the trick(for me!).
Old 1st November 2012, 14:05   #67
DrO

does it keep working ok after you've done that including restarting of Winamp? as the only thing i can think off based on all of the new comments is the encoder isn't being correctly initialised on loading...

-daz
Old 1st November 2012, 14:09   #68
spectral_forces

Nope unfortunately not, it reverts to the previous symptoms.

Edit: So perhaps your theory is correct.
Old 1st November 2012, 14:17   #69
DrO

rightio, well it seems the only plausible thing to look at if it's not holding after a restart.

-daz
Old 1st November 2012, 19:10   #70
DJ_MELERIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectral_forces View Post
I can confirm the workaround of switching to 22050 khz Stereo and then back to 44100 khz does the trick(for me!).
confirmed here too, that workaround works
Old 1st November 2012, 19:26   #71
MrSinatra
Forum King

just a quick comment to say that the soundcard input is absolutely crucial to many real radio stations that use this tech to webstream.

--
Old 1st November 2012, 21:01   #72
DrO

i realise that, but only 5 people have bothered to report the issue so either people aren't bothering to upgrade, did and reverted to a version that still seems to work, or they're not relying on a free solution for something which is so critical to their broadcast setup (i would assume it's that rather than the first two).

-daz
Old 1st November 2012, 21:11   #73
MrSinatra
Forum King

i can tell you that hundreds, if not thousands, of broadcasters use free solutions, and i know both profit and non-profit ones. some probably use a mix of nullsoft and non-nullsoft, but i'd bet most use all nullsoft.

yes, big corp use big corp stuff, but thats all the more reason to support the little guy who can't afford big corp stuff.

--
Old 1st November 2012, 21:37   #74
DrO

i'm not disagreeing with that for the little stations there needs to be free solutions compared to the $$$+ that are some of the behemoths that otherwise get used (i'll be good and mention no names).

but based on the what i've had through the forum and other channels, there currently isn't much to back up that 1000s are using the Source DSP in soundcard mode, at least those not using any of the 2.3.x releases. or it's just purely apathy and people aren't reporting it.

now that we've finally got something which seems to make sense with the changes which were made in the 2.3.x had how the encoders are handled, hopefully i'll be able to sort out a new test build on saturday (earliest i can look into things) to send out and see how that works or not.

-daz
Old 1st November 2012, 22:41   #75
DJ_MELERIX

btw, I noticed other bug.

for example when SC-DSP is running and if you change from "stereo" to "mono", Winamp is closed completely.

I guess Winamp crash, but there is no error message.
Old 1st November 2012, 22:44   #76
DrO

that was meant to have been fixed in the test build i sent to you - are you saying that it's still happening even with the test build? or is this against the older 2.2.3 or some other version?

-----------------------------------------------

as a note for everyone else, the more details provided, the less time you and i have to keep asking to find out details and the longer it will take to get a resolution, especially when test builds have been provided as i need to know _what_ is being used as there's no point in me wasting time working on something which is fixed, etc.

-daz
Old 1st November 2012, 23:13   #77
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

It would be nice, if someone could help me with testing the German translation for that.

Just put this in a 'de-de' subfolder under Winamp\Lang when you're using the German language pack.

http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1351814679/dsp_sc.lng

I spent a lot of time, since my last translation file was outdated and not working with latest dsp_sc.
Once it's done, I'll directly add it to the official Winamp language pack.

Since I won't hijack this thread, post your results in the German forum or contact me directly.

-Chris
Old 2nd November 2012, 03:19   #78
DJ_MELERIX

Quote:
that was meant to have been fixed in the test build i sent to you - are you saying that it's still happening even with the test build? or is this against the older 2.2.3 or some other version?
sorry, the new bug I've reported above is with clean 2.3.1, in test build the bug don't exist.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:14   #79
DrO

ok, so that's one less thing for me to have to worry about

-daz
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:43   #80
DrO

have managed to replicate the soundcard issue and i believe i've got a fix for the issue. just need to fix a quirk with the level handling when the DSP is started being set to 0 when it shouldn't be before i send out a newer test build to people.

so if it all works ok then will get a new build released for everyone else experiencing the issue.

-daz
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions