Old 11th July 2014, 21:17   #1
Ferden

Mouse wheel doesn't function

Hi, since few days I have a bug. When scrolling the mouse wheel on Winamp, the played song rewinds 15 seconds, whether I scroll up or down.
Up until few days ago the wheel controlled the volume if the player was selected/highlighted, or scrolled the song's list if the library or playlist windows were selected/highlighted.

I tried another mouse (usb instead of ps2) and I had the same problem. I installed 5.666 over 5.581, and didn't solve the problem. Please solve the problem.
Ferden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 21:28   #2
DrO

if it's happening with two completely different versions and all of a sudden without a version update.

i'd start by checking that nothing has been changed with the OSes mouse settings as there's no reason (especially with the Winamp version that you said you were using) for the Winamp behaviour to suddenly change to something that is not a standard behaviour.

if that doesn't help, an info tool report is needed...http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 22:49   #3
Ferden

Hi, after a hard reinstall (uninstall+ccleaner+defrag+reboot...) the wheel works again.
Old 13th July 2014, 10:23   #4
Ferden

Hi, I have the same problem again. This time I know what caused it: for some reason my computer freezes quite often (every 10 - 20 hours of active use), especially when many things run at the same time. The only solution is reboot.

I had this problem after a crash and reboot. How can I solve it?
Old 13th July 2014, 12:37   #5
DrO

you need to get your machine to be stable as it sounds like its on its last legs and trying to resolve Winamp issues should be the least of your concerns (and now you've provided this extra information, an unstable machine is most likely causing data corruption on the machine which is leading to the issues your seeing).
Old 14th July 2014, 16:01   #6
Ferden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
you need to get your machine to be stable as it sounds like its on its last legs
Your comment sounds logic, but it doesn't help much. You know, the machine is a new one, and it had this problem since the start. And since I assembled it, I can't complain with anybody.

It shouldn't be a software issue, 'cause I made a clean win7 install, I use a good antivirus (Comodo) and Ccleaner. And since I'm not really a technician, I don't know what the problem could be.

What happens is that sometimes the machine blocks for 3 seconds, reads something on the hard-disk, and then unblocks. If it pulls its shit together, during this 3 seconds I can move the mouse pointer and the sounds continues, but when it actually crashes everything freezes immediately.
In my limited experience, this looks like a virtual memory problem, but it shouldn't be either, 'cause the pc is a good one: gamer motherboard, cpu intel i7, lot of RAM (32gb), and the pagefile.sys is on a Solid State Disk with sata 3.0 cable. This last disk (the C: ) is not full either, and everything mentioned is new.
Do you know what could it be?
Old 14th July 2014, 16:10   #7
DrO

i know my comment doesn't help much, but if the PC is acting wrongly, trying to fix one piece of software (which is probably getting messed up due to the PC issues) won't help and is pretty much outside of the realm of 'official' support here.

all i can otherwise suggest is to start by checking for appropriate software / firmware / driver updates and seeing if they help to resolve the stability issues (or if there are known issues like you're seeing with some of the hardware being used). i'd also make sure that all cables are correctly seated and if possible, consider swapping them out with alternatives to rule out the cables being the cause of issues. and make sure that the PSU is rated for all of the components you've got hooked up (and that the PSU can genuinely support those loads - as random failures can also be due to power issues.
Old 14th July 2014, 16:17   #8
Ferden

Thank you, I'll try that
Old 15th July 2014, 01:27   #9
Ferden

You know, I've been thinking, and actually what I had can't be data corruption.

First, data corruption should be random, and in this case the same identical thing happened twice.

Second, this problem was recorded in the HD, 'cause it reappeared after every reboot.

Finally, it affected only Winamp, 'cause the mouse wheel behaved well on other applications.

Since this problem affected previous versions of Winamp, maybe it's because the way the program interacts with the mouse driver.

Besides, it's not really related, but when I said the PC crashes, I meant when many things run at once: heavy game + network + music + download + random windows + background processes...
Old 15th July 2014, 01:36   #10
DrO

we don't do anything funky. we just respond to the messages that the OS provides to us according to spec.

i really don't know what is causing the weirdness, but even under heavy load, the machine should not crash like you've described which screams at driver / hardware issues based on what i've personally experienced.

so i'm sorry, but there is little else i can contribute to the issues you're having and is nothing that can be done from the Winamp side to mitigate against an unknown issue that only seems to have affected your setup.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports