Old 4th July 2001, 01:20   #1
niggaz

Problem:
Open Winamp 2.76 and select "Add URL". Specify the ftp site where all mp3's are stored. When trying to connect, the player says "[Could not connect]ftp://4.60.215.110".
Also, if the ftp site is opened with out winamp via IE5.5, the mp3's are all listed as winamp icons (winamp is default player). If I double click on the icons, a new IE5.5 page opens with "this page cannot be displayed".

Note- this does not happen with Real Jukebox. With Real Jukebox, If I double click on one of the icons in the ftp browser, Real Jukebox opens up and begins playing the selected MP3.

Steps to Repro:
1)Open Winamp and select "add url" at the bottom of the player. Specify the FTP site url and click OPEN.
2)when the ftp url appears in the player, double click on it.
3)It will briefly say, "connecting to (ftp url)" then say "[Could not connect]ftp://4.60.215.110".

If using ftp is not supported, this should be noted in the player. Only reason I am trying this route is I dont have a website to store 10GB of media and MP3's on, nore do I want to spend the money paying someone for this service.
I simply want to be able to ftp in from work to my server at home and listen to my music.

For repro, try ftp://4.60.215.110

niggaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2001, 02:30   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

1) You can't add an ftp url into the playlist, not with any player.
"Add -> url" is for adding a single file (not ftp directory), be it a link to either one mp3, or to a pls or m3u playlist which, in turn, links to x amount of mp3's or other formats.

2) Your ftp site isn't loading.
Are you hosting it yourself? If so, is it currently offline?
Is it password protected?

DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2001, 02:34   #3
niggaz

Cannot access mp3's via ftp site

Ok, the ftp site may not be loading, what is it doing when you try to access it? Do you get any error msgs?
But why is it when I ftp to my server (yes I am hosting it from my server at home), If I have real jukebox installed on my client machine, I can double click on any of the mp3 icons and real jukebox will open and default to play?
Old 4th July 2001, 03:12   #4
Sawg

Winamp does NOT support FTP streaming, only HTTP.
Old 6th July 2001, 19:57   #5
niggaz

That's gay.
Old 8th July 2001, 16:14   #6
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
No, it's just not possible. It's the nature of FTP.

You're gay. And doubly gay for not knowing.
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2001, 03:12   #7
Sawg

FTP is built for plain old file transfers, It is a HORIABLE protocol for streaming of ANY kind.
Old 11th July 2001, 02:29   #8
niggaz

No Renegade, you are gay=PIE for being a smartass.
I see add URL, so I add a URL.
LIKE I SAID from above posts, not a problem with Real Jukebox.
This makes you untouchable when it comes to being gay.
Old 11th July 2001, 19:38   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, firstly & foremostly, can we have less of the flames please.
Winamp Bug Reports is not the right & proper place for such hostilities.
We would all appreciate it if the persons involved would please apologize!

Now, back to the matter at hand . . .

I finally managed to logon to your ftp site.

With WMP as default MP3 player, when you double click any file in the dir, WMP opens and starts instantly streaming the MP3.

With Winamp as default player, the Windows Download Manager opens and starts to download the mp3 to the Temporary Internet Files folder. When the download is complete, Winamp will open and start playing the mp3 from the hard drive.

So, the answer is NO, I could not reproduce your problem, because this is how Winamp always operates. Everything seems to be working ok to me.
Old 11th July 2001, 23:59   #10
NeoRenegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by niggaz
No Renegade, you are gay=PIE for being a smartass.
Ooh, flamed by a gay newbie! I'm so hurt!
Old 12th July 2001, 04:53   #11
niggaz

Newbie huh?
Look at what you do for a job Renegade; you basically do online tech support.
You are a bottom feeder.
Old 12th July 2001, 04:59   #12
Sawg

Quote:
Originally posted by niggaz
Newbie huh?
Look at what you do for a job Renegade; you basically do online tech support.
You are a bottom feeder.
The people on the Winamp forums are nice enough to provide free technical support to Winamp users. They do this on their own free will. If you do not like the answers or advice they give you then you do not have to follow it. But, please behave while on the forums. Resulting to flames because you do not like their answer is not proper behavior. People who flame are act immature are not welcome on this forum. Consider this your warning.
Old 13th July 2001, 02:38   #13
niggaz

I agree completely with you SAWG.
I dont need to justify what I know and dont know, but since there is doubt in some minds about my technical skills I will humor you.
I guarantee you that I know a lot more than Renegade or others in a lot of areas; I am software engineer myself.
I dont need to be flamed by anyone because I dont know every specific detail of a component, I dont need to know everything. Warn me all you want, I thought I found a bug and thought I would post it, and instead I get flamed by the people who are supposed to be helping. This is ridiculous.
I dont need to use this software either if this is what happens when I post an issue.
Do me a favor and dont waste my time by replying, I dont feel like carrying on this fiasco anymore. Have a nice day.
Old 13th July 2001, 05:47   #14
NeoRenegade
Banned

My apologies.

I flamed you because it appeared to me that you were annoyed by the fact that our player can't do what is technically impossible anyhow.
I'm sorry for doing that.

Anyhow, I wish I could be paid for tech support... I would be a bit nicer if I was... that's for sure
But I can't complain about my real job... for the time being I get to drive a Kubota lawn tractor (I'm replacing the janitor/groundskeeper at a small park while he's on vacation)
Old 13th July 2001, 17:42   #15
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoRenegade
I flamed you because it appeared to me that you were annoyed by the fact that our player can't do what is technically impossible anyhow.
FTP streaming is possible anyway.

Quote:

Anyhow, I wish I could be paid for tech support... I would be a bit nicer if I was... that's for sure
I won't pay a lot for support you (all of you) are doing. Sorry =)
X-Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2001, 17:55   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Fixer
I won't pay a lot for support you (all of you) are doing. Sorry
And what's your problem then?
Do you require any technical support, or have you found a real bug that all of us can positively reproduce?
If not, then why are you posting here in the first place?

Maybe you ought to study the boards with a bit more depth mate, before you jump to such ill-gotten conclusions.
If you don't like what you see, then please go away & never come back again.
We certainly won't miss you or any others who post such discourteous comments.

I've personally spent over a third of my life over the past year or so providing free tech support to 1000's of Winamp users, and over 90% of cases have gone away very happy.
Are you saying you can do any better?

Besides, I already answered niggaz question in my 2nd post above!
Old 14th July 2001, 01:44   #17
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
I've personally spent over a third of my life over the past year or so providing free tech support to 1000's of Winamp users
Really? Literally? Seriously? As in 8 hours/day? Geez, dude, that's just too much. And I thought I used to spend way too much time here.
Wonder what would happen if you and all the other top tech supporters took a break from tech supporting for a week or two. Seems to me I registered for these forums in the first place because I noticed some questions that I knew the answers to were going unanswered, and so it seemed I was the only one who could answer them. Probably if the forums had already been filled with friendly top notch techies, I would have just moved on after posting my wishes to the wishlist. So I'm thinking, maybe if you guys all take a break simultaneously, maybe that would attract some more good techies to the forums so's the workload could get spread out more, and you guys could actually have a life outside the forums (or lose it on some other forums, for variety:). Winamp users would suffer for a short time, but it might be worth it in the long run. No idea what the chances of awesome benevolent techies stopping by in that period would be, though. Just a thought.
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2001, 14:38   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm . . . maybe I exaggerated a little there?
To rephrase it, a third of my conscious life, not including sleep hours.
I don't have enough spare time to commit myself to 8 hours a day.
5 or 6 hours is more than enough for anyone, especially me

Me, take a break?
Hmm . . . ponderous!

Will any super tech demon/s come along in the meantime?
Well, there's between 16 to 20 hours in a day when I'm not here, which gives anyone plenty of time to provide top quality answers to all tech related posts.
So, bring 'em on . . . pleeeeeeeeeaze!
Old 16th July 2001, 04:37   #19
X-Fixer
Major Dude

> And what's your problem then?

I don't have Winamp connected problems. All I want is to help Nullsoft to make Winamp better, if you don't mind. (surelly shouting on you can't make Winamp better)

> Do you require any technical support, or have you found a real bug that all of us can positively reproduce?

Yes, of course. Lot's of them. Just make a search. But it seems that you (personally DJEgg) haven't answered to real bug reports.

> Maybe you ought to study the boards with a bit more depth mate, before you jump to such ill-gotten conclusions.

I read more that post. That's because I'm just a member (stupid ranking sistem, isn't it?). Often your replies are wrong or useless (you may use another word, if you like). And another thing about this forums - you look at every member (especially at junior members) as if you're god and they are lamers. Have you ever read your replies?

> If you don't like what you see, then please go away & never come back again.We certainly won't miss you or any others who post such discourteous comments.

Oh, I have no doubts.

> I've personally spent over a third of my life over the past year or so providing free tech support to 1000's of Winamp users, and over 90% of cases have gone away very happy.

I don't think - 90 per cents. But, as Winsane said - most answers are ready now - just make it easier to find. Do NOT write same answer to every user

> Are you saying you can do any better?

Probably, but I have no time
Old 16th July 2001, 23:25   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

ROTFLMAO Ha ha ha ha ha LOL

omg Top jerk alert!
From under what rock did you crawl out from?
There's no place for trolls like you on these forums.
Please crawl back into the hole you sprang forth from.
Justify myself to the likes of you? Converse with the likes of you?
No, I thinketh not! You are not worthy!
Keep reading, keep learning, and please feel free to enlighten us all with your vast technical knowledge.

As if I need any of this crap

Dismissed!

Laterz.

Still ROTFLMAO

/edited rant

[Edited by DJEgg on 07-16-2001 at 09:01 PM]
Old 17th July 2001, 04:00   #21
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Hmmm.....

Your sence of humor is suxxxxxxx
Old 17th July 2001, 06:28   #22
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Fixer
> Do you require any technical support, or have you found a real bug that all of us can positively reproduce?

Yes, of course. Lot's of them. Just make a search. But it seems that you (personally DJEgg) haven't answered to real bug reports.
Well, how are we supposed to answer the real bug reports? We provide solutions to the not-really-bug reports, and leave the real ones in hopes that the Nullsoft coders will notice them (or might do something more to get their attention if it seems serious). But we're not the coders, so we can't fix the bugs. And I wouldn't want to post something like "the coders will look into this", because it seems that often they won't. Most of 'em don't seem to pay enough attention to these forums (or at least that's the way it was before I took a couple good long breaks).

Quote:
> Maybe you ought to study the boards with a bit more depth mate, before you jump to such ill-gotten conclusions.

I read more that post. That's because I'm just a member (stupid ranking sistem, isn't it?). Often your replies are wrong or useless (you may use another word, if you like). And another thing about this forums - you look at every member (especially at junior members) as if you're god and they are lamers. Have you ever read your replies?
You're saying that about DJ Egg!?! HA! That's a good one!
That may apply to some. But Egg? I don't think so.

Quote:
I don't think - 90 per cents.
I do. And don't forget all the users that actually use the search function, and find their answers successfully without posting anything. That probably ups the number to around 99%. Just a guess, but it seems about right to me.

By the way, is your WinAmp Profiler proggie in Winamp.com's plug-in database? If not, I'll add it to my list of plug-ins in the Tech Support Greatest Hits forum. I'd use the search function to check, but search is kinda fuxored right now.
Old 17th July 2001, 06:51   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Alright . . . enough's enough!

Hey, I don't want to get dragged into some childish flippant flame war, I've got better things to be doing . . . but if you don't either just go away, or grow-up fast and start acting respectably with a civil attitude conducive to rational and intelligent human decency, then you'll leave us no option but to ban your sorry a$$ for good.

You have been warned.

You know nothing about me or my sense of humour.

My sense of authoritative discipline has just taken precedence.

I'm locking this thread in order to spare us all of your unwarranted presence, and will lock or delete any other of your posts if you continue to persist in this truly pathetic vein.

We're all decent folk here just doing our best to help out in any way possible, not to hinder progress which is all you seem to be intent on.
If you can't make any positive contribution to these forums, then why bother?

This serves as a first warning.

All apologies (not just to me, I dgaf, but to everyone else you've insulted on the forums) will be accepted with due consideration.

You've picked the wrong time/day/person to mess with.
My sense of homor just died!
If your initial comments were meant to be taken light-heartedly and in jest, then you've certainly got a funny way of showing it my friend!
We are not amused! Hehe

Over and out!
Old 17th July 2001, 07:01   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Okay, I momentarily locked this thread, but I'm opening it again, mainly because of Winsane's extra input (which only appeared to me after I'd made my penultimate post above)

Cheers for the support Winsane.
In times like this, I really appreciate it!
You're a star!
Old 17th July 2001, 08:00   #25
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Thanks, no prob!
But it does seem to me you've overreacted a bit. Locking, deleting, and banning just for this? Yeah, he's insulted your tech supporting and moderating after you've spent oodles and oodles of time and effort trying (and succeeding) to do a great job at it. But all his other posts have been helpful (whether pointing out bugs, requesting good features, or helping other users), and his posts here don't seem that bad to me. I'm not saying he's not been a bit of an arsehole in this thread, but he seems a hell of a lot tamer than the types we usually end up banning or otherwise taking action against.
Old 17th July 2001, 18:56   #26
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

He insulted more than just me . . . the proof is in the pudding!
Like I said, I honestly DGAF . . . and why should I?

I haven't noticed any of his other posts and aren't going to start searching them for any means of reproof. I'm just going by this thread, and this thread alone.
Yes, maybe I did overreact a bit, but I feel I was speaking up for the winamp/forum community as a whole. Maybe there's a place somewhere for this sort of thing, but it certainly ain't on the winamp.com forums & especially not in Bug Reports.

Of course I'm willing to forgive & forget and let bygones be bygones . . . because, and apparently contrary to X-Fixer's perceptions, I am a decent civil friendly & humble human being after all

Yeah sure, I'm open to any means of subjective or constructive criticism, but as long as it's justifiable and not moronically insolent or intellectually flawed.

Again, I rest my case.

"Court adjourned . . . all rise!"
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports