Old 16th July 2008, 09:58   #41
almostworked

Thanks for the reply

Yes it's a microsoft mouse, this is what's causing the whole problem.

The fix mentioned in here uses those latest drivers but once you install the actual software (intellipoint) to enable the extra options for your mouse then it stuffs up.

Just the driver alone is fine, but that means you can't use the extra features of the mouse, so you then install the intellipoint software, which in turn causes the scrolling error.

So it pretty much means it's the actual IntelliMouse software that is causing the problem and not the driver, but the driver on it's own adds nothing over just having you rmouse be "HID pointing device", except the microsoft driver actually correctly names your mouse model.

Any further help appreciated.
almostworked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 02:13   #42
Raa

Any word if the new driver fixed the issue, or is the bug still present in Winamp?

Win2k Rules. Period.
Raa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 06:35   #43
almostworked

The new drivers don't change a thing - Still the same problem unfortunately
Old 28th August 2008, 06:55   #44
Raa

Dammit. I wish they'd get this bug fixed, OpenOffice has the bug, but apparently they're working on it, it might even be fixed!

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 18th September 2008, 07:23   #45
OFI

Send a message via ICQ to OFI Send a message via AIM to OFI Send a message via Yahoo to OFI
Would be nice to see a fix for this as it makes Winamp so clumsy to use. I spent quite a lot on this mouse so i'm not likely to replace it any time soon and it's been 19 months since this thread was started!
OFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 23:26   #46
jimbo45

For Laptop users another option is to DISABLE the synaptics touchpad --the touchpad is often the cause of the cursor randomly jumping around on Laptops and other "rodent" (mice) related problems -- if you've ever had this problem you know how irritatating it can be and severe cases can almost render a laptop useless. Problem even more acute if you are using "Virtualisation" software such as vmware.

Download the generic synaptics driver from the synaptics site --works for pretty well all laptops. Load the version relevant for your OS and install -- there's a special version for 64 bit vista as well.

Disable the touchpad - problem (and a host of other one's fixed).

Cheers

-J
jimbo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 13:57   #47
BobTM

Workaround

Hi !

I had the exact same problem. A workaround that I found for Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 is selecting another type of mice : Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth. It works great and you don`t lose any functionality. Scroll UP/DOWN works as it should, with the extended options too.

Moppix suggested this fix for a wired mouse probably and someone said that there is still a lag. No lag on IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 Wireless with the Bluetooth version selected.

Cheers !
Bob.
BobTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 05:17   #48
almostworked

When you say "select another mouse"

Where do you mean to do this?
Old 10th February 2009, 14:25   #49
BobTM

@almostworked - Inside Control Panel you have the mouse configuration icon. If the intelli point software is installed, when you click the icon the software should pop up and there you can set the function of the buttons, etc., including the option to choose what kind of mouse do you have. The option is on bottom right in the first tab, just under the picture with the mouse

Cheers !
BobTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 10:37   #50
almostworked

That workaround doesn't seem to work for my Comfort Optical Mouse 3000. Went through the whole list trying every other mouse to see if it would work. Using the 6.3 version of the software. This is very frustrating, still no fix from Microsoft or Winamp.
Old 8th June 2009, 04:57   #51
Lazure

Windows 7 64-bit with a Microsoft Optical Comfortmouse 3000. I can scroll up, but scrolling down is near impossible unless I force it hard, which causes it to skip either too much or too little.

Basically, it's useless to use the wheel in winamp for me. What's worse, is, if I try to use my wacom intous3 mousewheel or the zoom slider, it doesn't work right either. Seems windows 7 just plain cannot handle winamp with mouse scrolling, period.

I've tried the vista intellimouse drivers AND the windows 7 beta ones, both have this issue. Currently, WinAmp and facebook app "FarmTown" are the only two programs giving me this problem now.
Lazure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 02:14   #52
Raa

I can confirm that in Windows 7 with (or without) the new Intellipoint v7 beta driver, this issue is STILL present.

Can scroll up at a million miles an hour, and scroll down at a snails pace if I scroll fast.

Any ideas yet guys? I've logged it with MS, but I think they'll bum this one out and throw it back to you.

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 24th June 2009, 09:52   #53
DrO

it's due to the handling of the delta value passed in the wm_mousewheel message assuming a delta of 120 but some mice have a smaller delta (as is allowed on vista/win7) which breaks the previous logic. one of the devs was meant to be looking into changing the handling but that never happened i believe and without knowing what mice exhibit this finer level of scrolling (as i need a new mouse but can't get a definite answer) i'm not going to shell out for something that won't help.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 09:56   #54
Raa

Well I can tell you for a fact that it happens with almost every Microsoft mouse on the market.
Generic mice and Logitechs don't seem to have the issue.

It's the same whether intellipoint is installed or not (any version).

I hope that helps you out. I'm not a programmer, but if I can help you guys get this issue fixed, i'm all for it!

Let me know if theres something I can do. I've got access to a lot of hardware, so I should be able to be productive.

Thanks for the response too, it's good to know at least where the issue is!

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 6th July 2009, 11:24   #55
almostworked

This is really annoying.
Will help you out by listing my mouse which has the problem.

The issues is present on Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000.

So as has been said, seems to be on pretty much every Microsoft mouse, logitechs & other generic mice are fine.

Really would like this sorted.
Thanks
Old 6th July 2009, 11:25   #56
Raa

Yes we know mate. It's just Microsoft Mice it seems.

Problem is not fixed in v5.56

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 6th July 2009, 13:23   #57
DrO

no one has worked on it despite being known what needs to be done to fix the issue no one has (i don't have code access now so won't be trying to resolve it).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 04:52   #58
almostworked

Quote:
no one has worked on it despite being known what needs to be done to fix the issue
That statement does nothing but want me to try another player for the first time in 8 years.
Old 19th July 2009, 20:44   #59
psik0tik

explorer mouse owners, just change your mouse to "intellimouse explorer 4.0" (Win 7 32 bits)

but yes it's a shame that it's still not fixed, ms' fault or not.
psik0tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 00:46   #60
Raa

Quote:
Originally posted by psik0tik
explorer mouse owners, just change your mouse to "intellimouse explorer 4.0" (Win 7 32 bits)
I only had the option for "Microsoft USB Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 (IntelliPoint)".
Changing to this driver did NOT work.

It's a Winamp bug, pure and simple. After a few years now, i'm hoping a solution is forthcoming!

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 27th August 2009, 15:15   #61
slh

my workaround

I've had this problem with numerous apps.
This worked for me and still allowed me to use all advanced features and buttons of Wireless Intellimouse 2.0

Installed newest Intellipoint 7.
Chose "Wireless Intellipoint Explorer for Bluetooth".

This is a Vista 64bit install.
It's fixed mouse wheel problems so far in:

Winamp
Soundforge
Firefox

Just my $.02
It is a bug but I smooshed it.
"The only good bug is a dead bug."
slh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 08:20   #62
Raa

Well well, that does work.
Tested with Windows 7 RTM, Winamp 5.56, IP 7

It's not fantastic, as it goes 0-20-40-60-80-100%, but better than having to insanely scroll down to get it to down, or having it flick up with half a scroll!

Still classifying this as an open and NOT FIXED bug though.

C'mon guys, Windows 7 now... :P

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 31st August 2009, 13:50   #63
JimDim30

Hello guys.

I'm really sorry too seeing that Winamp hasn't (and might want) fix this problem after almost two years time.
- I'm also having this problem since Vista time, but still remains on Windows 7. And i can tell you for sure that it's not a mouse or IntelliPoint drivers problem, because in all others apps it works just fine.
- The most wired is that with the same mouse, only with different drivers, this function of winamp works fine on Windows XP 64-bit .
- It seems that winamp has a problem with MS laser mouses on 64-bit operating systems. At least that's what i'm using.

PS. I use Wireless Laser Mouse 7000, with the latest drivers from MS for 64-bit Win 7 (but also had the same problem with Wireless Laser Mouse 6000).
JimDim30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 14:28   #64
Raa

The problem is not limited to just Vista (also happens in 7), used to occur in OpenOffice (now fixed), and STILL occurs in Winamp & Steam. It may happen in other applications, but I haven't tested lots to know.

It occurs with almost every Microsoft Intellimouse on the market, generally regardless of driver installed, with the afore-mentioned "buggy workaround" helping, but not fixing the issue.

The problem is also not limited to 64 bit, as it occurs on 32 bit systems as well.

For now, all we can do is continue to hope that a small coding change to the scroll event is made to fix the bug, ignore the problem, or switch to an alternative program.

P.S. It's been longer than 2 years

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 14th September 2009, 08:54   #65
voyager4383

Ok, I know this issue is long standing, and I'm irritated with it too. However after doing some proper research myself BEFOREHAND, I have come to a few conclusions and comments to add.

First off, Winamp is not to blame as such. I would think that when winamp first started that the basic mouse control programming worked perfectly...so why mess with it? They have left it alone all this time because for a lot of people it works just fine.

Sadly, for people such as myself with a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 series (and other MS mice), we still have this odd scrolling problem. So, on to the REAL problem and the only two solutions.

Even though it is a programmer's duty to test out every bug possible so that nearly everyone can use their software without problems, sometimes some bugs just aren't easily fixable. What we are all dealing with here, is bigger than just winamp, so STOP hounding these poor souls and think outside the box. Winamp is NOT the only program with this dumb down-scrolling problem with MS Mice. I, for instance, can't use some java/or flash applets in my browser. The browser will scroll perfectly, yet in the applet scrolling functionality works just as badly as winamp. Examples? The only two I've noticed so far (don't laugh) is the FarmTown app on Facebook, and the interactive radar on the Weather Channel's website. Both suffer from problems zooming in and out using the scroll wheel.

And now on to the source of the problem. Think of it like this. You have the newest version 7 intellipoint software installed and most of your scrolling works; however, winamp and a few other programs and apps just won't work.

Common sense? It tells you that the problem must lie with 1 of 2 possible parties.

1: The problem could lie with older (dare I say Legacy) apps like Winamp that have been around for a while, and programmers that are comfortable using older programming styles...aka, not keeping up with the times...by learning all of the new, and sometimes stupid, changes brought about by new Operating Systems. The new API changes in Vista and Windows 7 apparently clash with Winamp's usage of the mouse scrolling. Notices Winamp doesn't inherit it's mouse usage from the OS so much as it has some options built in. Look in your preferences under "Playlist" and you'll see the scrolling options. I noticed when I go to Intellipoint (Microsoft Mouse is the desktop shortcut) and I fully disable all vertical scrolling that my scrolling in all the previously working programs stop (such as browsers and other progs). What interested me is that every program and app I had the scrolling problem in (winamp, FarmTown, and the interactive radar) all continue to scroll and they STILL do it badly. These apps must have built in control over the mouse, and that should probably be cut out to let the OS take over.

2: This is the best solution, yet the most impossible to make happen. Microsoft is *GASP* at fault. If they had a programming team anything worthwhile, they would happily open beta all software and let the world find their problems so they can fix them. You wouldn't believe the number of forums out there for other programs other than Winamp that are complaining about scrolling problems. And how many of them have been sent to MS to fix? Probably all of them. I even saw a TechNet forum where the MS Rep tried to blame the problem on out of date VIDEO drivers...HA! I SCOURED the MS Knowledge base with only 1 true mention of scrolling problems, and they claim it only happens with ps/2 connectivity and some special method of installing which escapes me at the moment.

The results? Microsoft is a freaking GIGANTIC company...who wants to earn as much as possible, while saving money all the while and pump out software as quickly as humanly possible. The problem is that I'm sure the workers of MS are overworked and pushed to the limits so that simple problems are overlooked and swept under the rug. Problems like our simple scrolling problem. A simple programming fix should be available on THEIR end to add backwards compatibility to the Intellipoint software. Instead they silently (not a real claim by Microsoft...just making a point) claim that Application Programmers must keep up to date and fix problems on their end. It isn't MS's responsibility to maintain support for aging software standards, so in order to save money, they leave out support for certain old wisdoms and make people grow up and learn new skills.

Something as simple and widely used as the mouse and GUI should be at the utmost supreme high level of important stuff for Microsoft to care about...after all, that IS their main business. The Mouse and GUI make the Operating System...word processing takes second rung to that, and yet MS keeps missing the target.

What a shame.
voyager4383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 08:59   #66
Raa

So either way you look at it, a fix needs to be implemented. Since MS won't acknowledge the bug, let alone "fix" it (they'll say it's by design), the only other feasible option is to pray a Winamp dev finds the scroll API, and corrects it.

Yep, we're still waiting. Patiently?

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 14th September 2009, 09:02   #67
voyager4383

Well, sure, if you don't want to go the long way around like I did! lol
Old 14th September 2009, 09:04   #68
Raa

I must admit, I prefer a fix for out of date coding. (If you go by MS' standards) :P

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 14th September 2009, 09:10   #69
voyager4383

Very true. Kinda makes you wonder what people get paid to do sometimes. I know, I know...people work their rear-ends off to get some things done...but it really makes you think doesn't it? Do you know there are programmers out there who actually leave the most common problem or two, just to tick people off, and will sometimes make the problem "stick"...by editing the programming to make it harder to fix in the future? And to make matters worse, they do it all in the name of job security. Think about it, if you had a great paying, full time job and you did a PERFECT job and never had any bugs in your software, and the ones you and others found you fixed immediately...you would be out of a job because there would be nothing to do when you came in to work.

THAT is a scary thought. People putting out half-made products just for job security. Creepy.
Old 14th September 2009, 09:20   #70
voyager4383

Interestingly enough...after reading through this entire post I decided to try the "changing the mouse settings by changing to ANOTHER model of mouse different from the one you have". Sure enough, I tried a variety of different mice from the Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 and I finally found one that worked for me! I changed finally to the Wireless Laser Mouse 8000...sure it's completely not the same mouse, and some of the other settings did different errors than the weird down-scrolling problem on the 5000 model, but so far, the 8000 model is soooo good. So try that! If you have the 5000 series or another, try the Wireless Lase Mouse 8000 setting, pic should be of a silver colored mouse, and maybe it will work for you! Stupid crummy MS software messing things up.

Kudos, and good luck to all!
Old 15th September 2009, 04:01   #71
polocanada

Just adding myself of the queue... 64-bit Windows 7 (final, enterprise) and mouse scroll down working very slow, my finger got to work hard, looks like it will go into an early retirement because of Winamp. Shall I then sue AOL for damages because of faulty software?
polocanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 04:10   #72
Raa

Nah you can't do that, however tempting it might sound :P

Funny idea though
Personally, i'd just prefer the bug to be fixed! That way, everyone is happy!

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:37   #73
Shannow

Another sorry soul chiming in with the same problems. Also found this bug in tweetdeck and steam, but what MORE annoying is that it seems to affect my other mouse as well, which runs off a Wacom tablet.
Currently googling around for a fix, can't seem to see anything anywhere though.
Shannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 12:02   #74
Raa

A wacom tablet too? Okay, we've just ruled out Intellipoint being the problem then - nice feedback!

And true, Steam does it too, it's annoying... Wish they'd update that as well :P

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 16th September 2009, 12:13   #75
Shannow

Quote:
Originally posted by Raa
A wacom tablet too? Okay, we've just ruled out Intellipoint being the problem then - nice feedback!

And true, Steam does it too, it's annoying... Wish they'd update that as well :P
Nope, the tablet was fine up till I installed the Intellipoint software. I have 2 machines running w7, and replicated the behaviour on both, I got the intellipoint mouse yesterday.
Old 16th September 2009, 12:36   #76
Raa

Incredible. So the MS mice AND the Intellipoint software have problems. I use my mouse without the software mostly, but to try and fix the issue, I use it with - either way it won't work.

FYI, you don't need the Intellipoint software, so remove it if you don't have any use for it to get around your bug (with the Wacom anyway!)

Just wish we all had such luxury to work around it

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 16th September 2009, 12:58   #77
Shannow

Disabling ipoint on startup seems not to fix it, I haven't had a chance to try fully uninstalling yet as I'm at work and have a bunch of stuff going in photoshop so can't afford to reboot.
At a guess I'd say it's the software rather than the mouse itself though, else it wouldn't be affecting the wacom
Old 16th September 2009, 17:50   #78
Shannow

Quote:
Originally posted by Raa

FYI, you don't need the Intellipoint software, so remove it if you don't have any use for it to get around your bug (with the Wacom anyway!)

Just wish we all had such luxury to work around it
Missed this point earlier, I bought the microsoft mouse as one to use when I'm on the move, the Wacom tablet is either at work or home, so not really ideal.
Old 17th September 2009, 00:30   #79
Raa

Yea, in that case you'll have the issue on the Microsoft mouse. It's the Vista/7 built in driver it seems. Generics don't have an issue. (i'm told)

Win2k Rules. Period.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:33   #80
polocanada

Quote:
Originally posted by Raa
Nah you can't do that, however tempting it might sound :P

Funny idea though
Personally, i'd just prefer the bug to be fixed! That way, everyone is happy!
Raa,

I don't have any Intellipoint installed. Pure vanilla Windows 7. It's possible W7 comes with some basic drivers - borrowed from Intellipoint - preinstalled or the drivers are similar in behaviour.

But it seems a bug in the driver and how Winamp is interpreting the comands. Unless some senior people in this forum can replicate the problem there will be hardly a fix since You can't expect any fixes from Microsoft (= use WMP or WMC instead)

One could also try to delete all drivers from Microsoft and replace them with Logitech drivers. Just try to see what happens. But Logitech had a nasty problem of resetting the mouse speed to neutral on every boot...Anyway, this is off topic. But I will try it once I get to the point of frustration with Winamp that I can't bear in anymore.

Right now I am using Arrow keys on keyboard or Shutte Xpress which simulates different behaviors so I can get around it.

I wonder if Microsoft Multimedia keyboard has the same problem?
polocanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports