Old 3rd February 2013, 07:47   #481
big_blue

I believe I solved it by adjusting my delays in correspondence with the lowest value, setting it to 0 and subtracting all others. I also had to switch the unit to samples. Don't get the clicking at all now. Can anyone tell me if that makes any sense?
big_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 00:47   #482
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi big_blue,

It makes sense to me. When trying a new audio format for the first time, I always start from the beginning. Meaning, I turn off any DSP (like Enhancer) plug-in and turn off the Winamp (or any other) equalizer. For Maiko, I reset it to it's defaults (no Balance adjustments, the Mixer set for automatic with no delays (for just the basic up-sampling and stereo to multichannel mixing), and the finest samplerate converter disabled).

If the song plays smoothly, then I start making audio quality adjustments as necessary. Just like one group of settings (DSP + equalizer + Maiko) will not be best for all music genres, one group of settings will probably not work well for all formats.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 07:55   #483
big_blue

Yet another bizarre case of Wasapi crapping out on me out of nowhere, I can't play music in shared mode. Music stops within a second of being switched onto shared mode. I feel like it could have something to do with my updating of my Realtek audio drivers recently. This same problem has happened to me in the past, and I solved it by tweaking the client buffer size, but that no longer does the trick. Output in shared mode also seems to think it's playing in 32 bit.

------------------------

Input stream:
16 bit PCM encoding in 2.0 (Stereo) setup. 44100Hz rate
MAIKO buffer/latency: 7616 samples (172699 µs)

Output stream:
32 bit float PCM encoding in 5.1 (Surround) setup. 48000Hz rate
Client buffer: 16384 samples (341334 µs)
Client latency: 10667 µs
Mixer scheduling period (latency): 10000 µs
Minimum device period (latency): 3000 µs

Shared mode renderer

Plugin latency reported to Winamp: 352 ms
Peak output loudness detected: - db
Old 23rd February 2013, 13:51   #484
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi big_blue,

Are you having this problem with all your music formats?

Since you upgraded your Realtek drivers, have you used the Realtek HD Audio Manager utility to make sure the default format for bits and sample rate is set to the same values as on the Windows Speakers Properties utility's Advanced tab?

Are you using version 0.53.test.02?

I have my client buffer size set for automatic sizing and my status log also says 32 bit, but the sampling rate is 96000 for both shared and exclusive modes.

Have you tried deleting the Maiko .bin files and letting them get rebuilt with the default values?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 23rd February 2013, 19:32   #485
big_blue

Yes, the bit/sample rates are all the same. I'm actually using test.01, as I think I had some issues with the following test. I'll try deleting the .bin files, I'd imagine that would work with my system "new config" (drivers). I'll let you know.
Old 23rd February 2013, 19:41   #486
big_blue

Sorry, where are the .bin files? I can only find the out_maiko.dll file in the winamp folder

EDIT: Nvm, I set my system's sample rate to 96000 and now it works fine. Seems strange... I'm guessing if I had let the .bin files rebuild themselves (under a system sample rate of 48000) it would have only operated in that configuration when in shared mode?
Old 24th February 2013, 07:55   #487
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi big_blue,

Sorry, I thought we discussed the location of those files before. Maiko's .bin files are in the same user data folder that the winamp.ini configuration file is in.

Maiko gets info on your sound system from Windows. When you first install Maiko, it looks at the Windows system sound configuration and creates the .bin files using the existing system sound data and default values for it's own options. If you change the Maiko options, the .bin files are updated to account for them.

If you make major changes to the Windows system sound configuration (which could happen when updating audio device drivers), they may not be recognized after the initial Maiko installation. Then it is best to shutdown Winamp and delete the .bin files. Maiko will recreate them when Winamp is restarted and be forced to pick up any system sound configuration changes. Or, ensure the Windows system sound configuration is set to the same values that they were when Maiko was first installed, after updating audio device drivers.

Remember Maiko is still beta software and you should not expect it to handle everything as smoothly as finished software should. Like the inconvenience of having to remember which options can be changed while a song is playing and which ones can not and the current awkward layout of some of the options panels.

Old 1st March 2013, 12:32   #488
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi big_blue,

Take a look back at post #446. SilverBird775 says there could be problems setting the right buffer size when using sampling rates other than 96000.

He has not posted here or on his website in over 2 months. I assume he has been using whatever free time he has for this project, fixing and testing things, rather than monitoring websites.

I used to write software professionally and it seems like things get harder the closer you get to finishing something. It's strange but true, that the last 10% could take as long to do as the first 90%.

Old 7th March 2013, 09:25   #489
big_blue

That's believable. A coder's work is never done.

Do you have any ideas as to why my music sounds significantly flatter with "Allow 24 bit" checked? Unchecked I don't have to change much to get crisp highs and distinguished bass, but checked, it's just... Flat. Slightly quieter too (through the oscilloscope shows that it occasionally clips). Pretty annoying because I know it would allow me to listen to music of very high bitrates if enabled. I have my system set to output 24 bit 96000 currently. Thanks in advance.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:00   #490
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue View Post
Do you have any ideas as to why my music sounds significantly flatter with "Allow 24 bit" checked?
That option should only be used if your source music files were encoded as 24-bit, otherwise Winamp would decrease the bit depth to 16-bit.

I don't know why it has an adverse affect on 16-bit files. I disable all 4 of the Winamp Playback - Audio options. My music files are all 16-bit, that's why I use Maiko to increase the bit depth after Winamp's input plug-ins decodes them.

Even though the Preferences Guide says the following, I rather have Maiko do the upsampling.

"Allow 24bit: Enables 24-bit playback for sound cards which support it. True 24bit soundcards output at 24bit, therefore the soundcard won't need to upsample 16bit to 24bit if Winamp is already sending it a 24bit audio stream."

Old 7th March 2013, 18:11   #491
big_blue

Interesting. So why is it that I simply can't play 24 bit music without it sounding garbled? I believe it's a problem within Winamp, as using the Directsound output yields the same results. I only get this problem with two albums I have, both of which are 24 bit encoded. These play without any distortion with "Allow 24 bit" enabled, but again, play flat and don't sound as detailed as they should.

I've noticed that when "Allow 24 bit" is enabled, ALL music is read as inputted and output as 24 bit, even if it's only 16. When unchecked, ALL music is 16 bit, even 24 bit files (Maiko isn't doing any upsampling?). Strange.
Old 7th March 2013, 18:43   #492
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi big_blue,

You are having strange problems. The Maiko output should match what you have your Windows sound configuration set to in shared mode or what you have selected for exclusive mode. Have you tried rebuilding the .bin files?

Are those 24-bit albums CDs?

Old 7th March 2013, 19:01   #493
big_blue

Nope, got them from a friend

I also can't find any .bin files, I've looked all over the winamp directory. What would the filenames look like?
Old 7th March 2013, 19:12   #494
Aminifu
Forum King

They are not in the Winamp program folder or subfolders. They are in your Winamp user data folder; C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Winamp. Replace **** with your user name. There should be 2 files that start with the word "maiko" and have the .bin extension.

Did these issues start after the audio device driver update? If so, maybe you should uninstall it and replace the previous driver. Drivers could have bugs like any other software.

What format are the 24-bit songs in?

Old 7th March 2013, 19:18   #495
big_blue

I had the problems before the update as well (actually just got a new gigabyte mobo). I'll try the .bin files before trying to replace the driver.

I have a wav album and a flac album.
Old 7th March 2013, 19:28   #496
Aminifu
Forum King

You also say you were having some unspecified issues with 0.53.test.02. Version 0.53.test.01 is not included in SilverBird775's change log. It was put together to test some issue that I don't remember. I suggest you change back to test.02.

Does you new mobo have the 5.1 surround or 5.1 dvd configuration?

Old 8th March 2013, 03:20   #497
big_blue

5.1 surround, I believe.
Old 8th March 2013, 04:01   #498
Aminifu
Forum King

The Maiko status log lists the output configuration. 5.1 surround uses the center, sub, front and side speakers. 5.1 dvd uses the center, sub, front and back/rear speakers.

Old 8th March 2013, 04:29   #499
big_blue

Ah, it does say it's in DVD setup. Should I try to change that?
Old 8th March 2013, 04:40   #500
Aminifu
Forum King

You can't change that. It is the way your mobo is made. You just need to connect your speakers correctly (to the rear instead of side, like with your other mobo) and use the appropriate rows and columns in the Maiko matrix mixer.

There are a lot of details to remember, but computers are complex machines. Especially with their sound and video sub-systems.

Old 8th March 2013, 05:36   #501
big_blue

Oh, all that is set up fine. Only issue I'm having is the 24 bit thing. Whatever, I'll get by. Thanks anyway.
Old 8th March 2013, 06:09   #502
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Only issue I'm having is the 24 bit thing.
That's too bad. Winamp is very good, but it still has issues here and there. But no matter what Winamp provides (within standard limits) to Maiko as input, Maiko should still process the output (upsample and upmix) according to the Windows sound configuration, it's exclusive mode options (when enabled), and/or it's matrix and balance options.

And I forgot to ask if you tried disabling any DSP plug-ins when playing your 24-bit files. Some DSP plug-ins do not handle 24-bits well.

Hopefully SilverBird775 will hear about your issue and look into it.

Old 8th March 2013, 19:41   #503
big_blue

My DSP actually isn't even used with 24 bit enabled, just bypasses it entirely.
Old 9th March 2013, 14:25   #504
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
My DSP actually isn't even used with 24 bit enabled, just bypasses it entirely.
How do you know it is being bypassed? If it is enabled, it is still in the processing chain. Have you tried disabling it (selecting "none") to see if your sound quality results change?

Old 9th March 2013, 19:57   #505
big_blue

Yep, no difference. I meant that when enabled, the oscilloscope built into the dsp I use doesn't move at all (in 24 bit mode). It's not the DSP, I've had the problem before I got it.
Old 10th March 2013, 15:43   #506
Aminifu
Forum King

Since you also have this problem with just the DirectSound output plug-in, I suggest you put 1 each of your 24-bit wav and flac files on a file sharing site and post a link to them and a description of the problem on the Technical Support forum.

Hopefully someone with more experience with those formats or 24-bit files, in general, can provide some help.

Old 11th April 2013, 07:50   #507
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBird775 View Post
The problem is, there is no way to know if the plugin is enabled (or activated, selected, highlighted, etcetera). All of output plugins are enabled, always. Not a single winamp clone exhibit such a questionable behavior, only winamp itself. There is a standard initialization and shutdown procedures unfortunately the winamp keeps every plugin online once started. It just takes the only single "open" procedure to start the actual playback. The plugin cannot rely on playback start\stop events obviously as it gives no information on actual user choice status.

I hope someday this winamp "feature" will be fixed.
Hi,

Nullsoft has released a public beta (5.7.0.3364) that may solve this issue. Please look at the thread linked below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=358828

Old 25th October 2013, 02:40   #508
bit-perfect_fan

could you PLEASE update maiko so that it will work with windows 8? otherwise Im really happy with it, working without giving me trouble. except for that windows 8 compability issue :S
bit-perfect_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 09:23   #509
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
The Developer of Maiko is cast away....
I hope he returns, but I'm getting the mind that the project is dead...
sadly the sourcecode is not available, so the chance someone else picks it up
is very low...

lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 02:46   #510
sullysnet

that stinks, that seems to happen with all the good 3rd party plugins

It’s a fragile thing, this life we lead, if I think too much, I can’t get over
sullysnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 21:44   #511
iSPY

Hi, I just stumbled upon this plugin while searching for different types and i have say I really like it
Been using eax fx 2.0 before and before that audio burst powerfx.

It works ok here in Windows 8.1 x 64 pro with my XFI Titanium HD pcie, but I would really like to have that fixed gui in mixer tab, other that that top plugin.
iSPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 01:14   #512
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSPY View Post
Hi, I just stumbled upon this plugin while searching for different types and i have say I really like it
Been using eax fx 2.0 before and before that audio burst powerfx.

It works ok here in Windows 8.1 x 64 pro with my XFI Titanium HD pcie, but I would really like to have that fixed gui in mixer tab, other that that top plugin.
Hi iSPY,

Version 053.test.2 of Maiko (the version before the last) has a usable matrix tab. The balance tab is also usable in this version, but you have to move your mouse pointer up and down and back and forth across the tab to make the input boxes show up. They are above and offset to the left of where they should be. Just adjusting the balance sliders does not persist between Winamp sessions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip out_maiko053test2.zip (58.3 KB, 683 views)

Old 25th November 2013, 21:19   #513
iSPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi iSPY,

Version 053.test.2 of Maiko (the version before the last) has a usable matrix tab. The balance tab is also usable in this version, but you have to move your mouse pointer up and down and back and forth across the tab to make the input boxes show up. They are above and offset to the left of where they should be. Just adjusting the balance sliders does not persist between Winamp sessions.
Nice thanks, I've been searching for this older version
iSPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 11:47   #514
ravermeister

Nice, I found out, that you can adjust the mixer settings with the version 053.test02
and after that replace the dll, and the mixer settings stay as setted

additionally I'm using in_ffsox, and if I configure it in that way that it feeds maiko
with the correct sample rate, you don't get the annoying long breaks when enable
finest sample rate in out_maiko.

Old 9th January 2014, 09:41   #515
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravermeister View Post
additionally I'm using in_ffsox, and if I configure it in that way that it feeds maiko
with the correct sample rate, you don't get the annoying long breaks when enable
finest sample rate in out_maiko.
Do you still get the slow start of the first song?

Old 20th January 2014, 08:37   #516
ravermeister

no, but if you jump over many tracks in the current playlist
the long break between the songs rarely occurs. But I can live with that.

@amnifu what output plugin are you currently using?

Old 20th January 2014, 11:21   #517
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ravermeister,

I was forced to put Maiko aside because it interferes with some features of the Jump to File Extra plug-in.

I'm back to using Winamp Matrix Mixer (link below) + DirectSound. Together they provide the same features that Maiko does by itself, except for the exclusive mode support. Unfortunately for me, Maiko's exclusive mode sounds a little better (with my old Audigy sound card and low cost Logitech X-540 speakers), imo. Also WMM only supports up mixing up to 6 channels (5.1 speaker systems), while Maiko supports up to 8 channels (7.1 speaker systems).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/winampmatrixmix/

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development