Old 24th January 2008, 23:19   #1
braby

title bar now playing plugin!

I was hoping somebody could introduce me to a plug-in that will display the song title and artist(or filename) on the title bar of my current active window. Long ago i had one for my precious winamp 2!
braby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 23:28   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Hmmm... maybe this old WinampBar plugin from way back in 2001?

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 23:44   #3
JonnyMac

Couple more listed here.

[edit]
Addendum
Almost forgot that WinampBar (AKABeesKnees TitleBar) is on the Official 3rd-party Plugin Bug List (ancient thread). The author has an alternative, "TitleBar Positioner". However, it is still a old component/"plug-in".
[/edit]

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 20:32   #4
braby

Sadly, the above mentioned plugins will no longer work.
i do like the new winamp 5 so far tho. I stuck with 2.95 for years! i may go back to it again as it's already got all the plugins i want, along with hundreds of my AVS's!

thanks for the help finding that plugin tho man, it's almost like the old one i had!
Old 25th January 2008, 20:47   #5
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Originally posted by braby
Sadly, the above mentioned plugins will no longer work....

...thanks for the help finding that plugin tho man, it's almost like the old one i had!
Well, which plugins of all those mentioned above by myself and JonnyMac will no longer work? And when you said thanks for finding that plugin, were you referring to this? ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Hmmm... maybe this old WinampBar plugin from way back in 2001?
Because if you were, it certainly most definitely does work fine with Winamp 5.52, because I tested it myself. And you can elect to show or not show (and use) player controls, and just use it to show the currently playing track if you want to. But of course, having both options available is having the both of best worlds (you can also configure text color and time display). It's your decision.
Old 25th January 2008, 21:29   #6
braby

oh jee.... i wonder why i couldn't get it to work!
and yes, that's the correct one, but no workie for me.
Old 25th January 2008, 21:55   #7
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Not working for you? Works fine for me!

Ctrl+P for Winamp Preferences > General Preferences > Plug-ins > General Purpose
In the right-side pane, double-click on "Winamp title bar control 4.0.5"

You will then see this...

Just select/deselect anything you want in the very configurable options. Remember though... it will only work while Winamp is running and playing tunes of course (but I assume that you already know that). And of course it's displayed in the upper-right corner of any application you have running, like so...

So as you can see, it works absolutely fine for me using Winamp 5.52 and should now do the same for you.
Old 25th January 2008, 22:07   #8
braby

I can't seem to actually get the thing installed! it says can't open a file called "gen_bktb.dll" when i run the pimp file.
Old 25th January 2008, 22:27   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
I can't seem to actually get the thing installed!
All right... you never said that you were having problems with the installer .exe file until just now. You just said you couldn't get it to work.

So, I have temp-uploaded the actual plugin - gen_bktb.dll - to my server for you. This is the ONLY file you need to get the plugin to work.

Get it here now... [edit] file removed from server by Nunzio - link removed by Moderator

First, close Winamp.
Then, right-click the above link and Save As, or Save Link As, or Save Target As (depending on what browser you are using).

Download gen_bktb.dll directly into your Winamp\Plugins folder. Start Winamp. You should be good to go.

[EDIT]

Although you do not need it I've also just uploaded the author's text file for you too.

Get it here now... [edit] file removed from server by Nunzio - link removed by Moderator
Old 25th January 2008, 22:33   #10
braby

sweet, it works just fine now! thanks a lot thar nunzio!
Old 25th January 2008, 22:34   #11
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
sweet, it works just fine now! thanks a lot thar nunzio!
Very good!
Yer welcome and Happy Winamping!
Old 25th January 2008, 22:36   #12
JonnyMac

Well darn, I and Nunzio are posting at the same time again. Anyways...

@ braby
That is probably because the plug-in was already installed. Go to the Winamp\Plugins and delete the gen_bktb.dll file. At the author's homp page you can find updated versions of the plug-in, there it is called Winamp title bar control. It is most likely that you are using Windows 2000/XP or Vista. If that is the case download the Unicode Binary version of the plug-in. The link for that is just above the screenshot of Notepad. The Unicode version should run more stable on the above mentioned Windows versions.

[edit] Way, way late

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 22:46   #13
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyMac
Way, way late
LOL! Hi, JM

@braby...

Do what JM said above too if you like, for a more updated version of the plugin (unless you are happy with what you downloaded from my server). But if you are gonna do that, then delete the gen_bktb.dll file that you just downloaded from my server, so as not to cause any conflicts (as happened already with the installer and as JM also mentioned above).

*Note: I am now removing both files from my server since they are no longer needed.
Old 26th January 2008, 18:19   #14
braby

I'm going to leave it the way it is, the site with the new one confuses me!

it isn't broken, so i won't fix it unless i get bored!
Old 1st April 2010, 18:18   #15
Sista K

Hi !

Sorry to dig up such an old topic, but I was wondering whether a new plugin, able to display the title and timing of the track playing in the current active window, was available for Windows 7 and compatible with the Aero plugin for Windows ?

Thanks !
Sista K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 12:50   #16
Egregius

Can I get a bump? *ah*

I got the same problem. Had an old gen_titlebar plugin, which I even got to install despite it being incompatible with later than win98, but it doesn't do anything on Vista or Win7. And I really liked being able to see what that song was that's playing, without having to wait for the entire title + "Winamp ***" to scroll by in the taskbar.

Pretty please anyone?
Egregius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 13:15   #17
DrO

Without updating the available plug-ins or just creating a new one or disabling Aero on Vista/Win7 i don't think there's much luck for you currently (and probably less so from people able and willing to update/create a plug-in like the ones).

it also doesn't help that the beesknees site is now down (though i'd expect some copies of things to be on the waybackmachine).

i've also checked the plug-in i used to use for having the currently playing track shown on the titlebar (http://www.mzuther.de/en/contents/gen-tbar) and that won't work with Aero enabled but otherwise seems to work ok.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 14:16   #18
Sista K

Well, I still haven't find that magic plugin, but I found a pretty cool one (even if it doesn't display titles in the title bar) which integrates so much more winamp in aero, and there are many possibilities/combinations of customization.

http://code.google.com/p/win7shell/ scroll down to check out the 'aero peeks' screenshots

This is what mine looks like (mine is in french but nevermind)
Sista K is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion