Old 4th August 2002, 19:54   #1
Lochreas

CDDB Is not working properly in 2.80

Ok I searched all around the forums and didn't find anything. I go to the preferences and the cd thing and I check enable CDDB and then when I try to use it it says "Success!" but it doesn't fill in the names. It doesn't say connecting or anything it just says "Success!" right away and it doesn't do anything. What can I do? Ever since Winamp changed their CDDB services I've had problems. What was wrong with the old one.
Lochreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2002, 23:52   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp didn't change their cddb services, it was Gracenote @ www.cddb.com who changed from v1 to v2, so the old v1 service is no longer in operation. Winamp's developers had no choice but to upgrade the cddb support to v2 to fall in line with Gracenote.

Anyway, not sure what the problem is . . . I disabled the analog in_cdda.dll plugin a long time ago and replaced it with the digital CDReader plugin. Works a treat. (use forum search for url, I'm sick of typing it, lol)

Are these commercial CD's, or ones you've burnt yourself?
Are you using a proxy connection or behind a firewall?
Have you installed any 3rd-party Winamp plugins? If so, which ones?
(mainly, any: gen_*.dll)
Have you made sure no files in the Winamp dir (including the dir itself) are "read only". Especially look at in_cdda.cdb (this is the file the default plugin uses to store cddb info). If it's got the "read only" attribute, then no new data can be written to it.

btw, CDReader plugin doesn't use in_cdda.cdb file, it uses cdplayer.ini in the %Windows% dir (the same database used by Windows CD Player). Also, CDReader doesn't use Gracenote cddb, it uses freedb.org database instead.

Good luck.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2002, 19:52   #3
Lochreas

I feel really stupid...

Oh god, this may be the stupidest thing you have ever heard before. I forgot that when I installed Winamp I selected "No internet connection" because at the time I didn't have one, so it's been like that the whole time and that is why it wouldn't connect to the CDDB! Well I am glad it was that simple. Sorry about dissin' the CDDB place I didn't know they upgraded it was the same place. Anyway thanks for the help.
Old 6th August 2002, 23:01   #4
Reaper
Forum King

Re: I feel really stupid...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lochreas
Oh god, this may be the stupidest thing you have ever heard before.
Hehe, that's nothing. We've already heard about people putting their whole library of mp3s in the Winamp directory and then uninstalling Winamp and its directory thinking their mp3s would be saved.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2002, 19:15   #5
Lochreas

Re: Re: I feel really stupid...

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper

Hehe, that's nothing. We've already heard about people putting their whole library of mp3s in the Winamp directory and then uninstalling Winamp and its directory thinking their mp3s would be saved.
Ohhhh, now that's gotta suck! Maybe I don't feel so stupid after all..
Old 7th August 2002, 19:18   #6
Reaper
Forum King

Re: Re: Re: I feel really stupid...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lochreas

Ohhhh, now that's gotta suck! Maybe I don't feel so stupid after all..
LOL

If I can find the threads, I'll post them later.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support