Old 5th November 2003, 21:00   #1
danhackley

Album covers

There are so many built in plugins with Winamp 5. A good cover viewer is essential !!!

In the options it must be possible to enter a universal cover file title or to select individual covers for each album. The cover should stretch to fit the box, and the box should be scaleable as well as skinable.

Thanks!
Old 5th November 2003, 22:06   #2
Anarchi

I was thinking the same thing!

Windows Media Player is able to show covers, so should Winamp.

btw, Media player stores a JPG called "folder.jpg" in the same folder as the wma/mp3 files.

It would be cool if WinAmp had a media Library window that shows the folder.jpg file and the title of the album.

Dont know about the Skinning of the cover, it would be nice if the folder.jpg bitmap showed up in the background (transparent) in the Playlist Editor (behind the track listings)
Old 5th November 2003, 23:35   #3
Sawg

Plugin Search: Cover

Old 7th November 2003, 10:21   #4
cybermarz

I use the Cover&Tag plugin for years now. The album cover is something WinAmp should have implemented a long time ago.

Besides the cover it will provide the Tag info like title, genre, year and last but not least it will check the integrity of the file! For more info, see: http://richtjo.virtualave.net/cooool/plugin.html

So when WinAmp decide to implement such a basic function, I'll dump the good old 2.81 version.
Old 7th November 2003, 15:00   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It's been implemented for a long time.
Assuming your files are correctly tagged, you can see the album cover in the minibrowser window (2.x), aka: Library -> Now Playing (in 5.x), or via the Show Info button in the Library views.

But, if you're still on a dial-up modem connection (not always connected dsl/cable) and you cannot permanently access these features, then the only other alternative is to use one of the plugins. That's how Nullsoft would probably implement it anyway, so why bother if there's already a bunch of decent plugins available to do the job? What difference does it make if it's a Nullsoft's plugin or a 3rd-party one, in 2.81 or 2.9x or 5.x ???

Then again, you can always select 'not connected to the internet' in the Prefs and edit/use winampmb.htm instead, ot just browse your folders via: Now Playing > More > Open Url > file://x:/path/to/music
Further info/tips here

Apart from that, there's plenty of decent plugins available...
Cover&Tag, Toaster, AlbumList2, etc etc.
Old 7th November 2003, 15:45   #6
net-cruizer

Yeah, Winamp5 does an awsome job at showing album covers by default, without plugins.
Old 7th November 2003, 17:06   #7
gse

I'd rather it was built in.

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
It's been implemented for a long time.
Assuming your files are correctly tagged, you can see the album cover in the minibrowser window (2.x), aka: Library -> Now Playing (in 5.0), or in the Info box in the Library views.
But that has all this... stuff. Ads and hyperlinks and all kinds of crap.

All I want is the album cover, and I don't want to pull it down from the web, I want it from ID3v2 tag or the cover.jpg file.

There's a "cover" plugin that does this pretty well, but it doesn't quite match the Winamp UI and it's not real easy to turn it on or off, as it would be if it was a built-in Winamp component.
Old 7th November 2003, 17:39   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, but a "built-in" winamp component would just be a plugin,
like any other.

btw, there's no ads in Now Playing.
All hyperlinks are artist/album related,
apart from one link to winamp.com/music
And if you click the actual cover, then the page changes to one with a larger cover image with artist, album, tracklist info, and very little else.

Beats me why anyone would want to just look at an album cover anyway.
Give me Milkdrop any day

Besides, if you look at that page for the Cover & Tag plugin,
you'll see the section further down about skinning the plugin.
I guess that, when WA5 is released, this will need updating to also work with modern skins. Lord knows . . .
It's also up to the 3rd-party author to provide an option to disable the plugin...
which it already has . . .
right click "cover" window -> config -> uncheck "show window".

I honestly doubt that Nullsoft will include a simple cover plugin in the default setup (especially seeing the majority of people don't even use cover tags or have the relevant cover.jpg files), and not when a much better service is already available . . . imho.

Then again, ya never know . . . anything's possible.

Hmm . . . wonder if it could be done by attach/detach method,
similar to video and avs plugins . . . ponderous...
Old 23rd November 2003, 22:08   #9
cybermarz

The Cover&Tag plugin is very good. It works great with 2.81

I get alerts about cookies and activeX for MsIE when I use "now playing" or "show info" while I denied MsIE to pass my firewall!?

Read about MsIE security problems: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...DisplayLang=en
Old 24th November 2003, 17:32   #10
RoyalEF

The plug-ins all leave something to be desired. COverView-which does half of what I want doesn't display anything. And I find most of the visualizations just visual noise. Out of all the ones with WInamp I only found three that looked interesting beyond blurry squiggles. And none that I want to look at for very long. At least the cover art has something to do with the song.

The ID tag allows for embedding images. It would be nice to have the ML/PL/player display these tag images or support embedding them...I didn't see a way to display or enter one. Windows "folder.jpg" thumbnailing is the perfect default for covers, since most of us probably store all the tracks of an album in a single folder. This would also take advantage of any work MS-WMP did to populate fodler.jpg. Coverview displays this, but doesn't work at all for me.

I'd like to see cover art placed into the MP3 and that displayed. Be nice if it overlayed visualizations with the title or popped out like the CONFIG tab, or was a left-hand pane on the playlist, or just in the media library.

I wish some program would better populate tags on the fly. MS-WMP does this HORRIBLY. Unfortunately they have a more complete db, filling in composer fields as well(Something I would like to see filled-and why doesn't ID3 have a producer field!?). The bad part is all MS songs are ROCK category, tracks don't support the #/# format and despite a checkbox that says they won't, they overwrite all of your entries with their own, destroying any info you've entered. (a little too typical an attitude for MS)

Fully populated tags and 200x200 cover art embedded in the MP3 is a sweet goal.
Old 24th November 2003, 19:34   #11
punkpk

Not a bunch of plug-ins show cover art.i would say only The Cover&Tag plugin does.
but it doesn't work very well with W5,it doesn't find all covers in mp3 files..

of course it would be nice from author's side to make update ,but who knows..we have only hope ..)

And Nullsoft could make it for once and all )
Old 24th November 2003, 21:12   #12
reumann

I mentioned about this wish before and Sawg showed me the way to heaven: "Search: plugins cover" )

Actually, if winamp has an ID3 editor window, then it should allow detailed editing and viewing more ID3 fields like -maybe- cover tags. And it shouldn't be a plugin feature. If Winamp will be our "ultimate media player" (for me, it already is), this is a requirement. Because many jukebox softwares offer such features...
Old 10th December 2003, 01:27   #13
Ebany

C'mon

I don't get why the Winamp developers are so against the concept of displaying cover art. The ID3v2 tags allow you to put the cover art in the tag, therefore, why in the world would I -ever- want to go out on the internet and download new coverart, when it is already there in the file? It's not like the art is going to change that it absolutely must go out and download it!

This is about the only point I don't see eye-to-eye with the Winamp developers on. I love Winamp to death, but c'mon, get over whatever aversion it is that you have, and just put it in, and use that mini-browser window when all else fails. Hell, I've hid the mini-browser ever since it was first implemented, as I have zero use for it, but that's just me.

Now I know that people are going to say "use a plugin!" or point out how stupid I am for wanting to display my cover art, and how I should just shut up and go crawl under a rock and huddle with my cover art. Well, this is a basic feature that would require very little development I would imagine. Just put it in, and then we (the people that want native cover art displaying) can go away, and focus on how great Winamp is (because, let's face it, it is!).

Added: Ok, here's a compromise: if I absoutely must use that mini-browser, how about it remembers what page I was on, and stays in that view? I'm going to have to explain this.

What I mean is this: I click on a song, say Fuel - Bittersweet, and it starts playing. I click on "Now Playing" in the left pane of the Media Library, and I get an initial screen in the right pane with all sorts of information about the band, etc... I click on the album in the upper left, which brings up a page that displays only the tracklisting on the left, and shows the album art in the lower right. If I -must- use this, how about it remains 'sticky' on that view (or the last view really, whatever it may be), so if I jump to another track, or album, it updates the information for that track/album, but in that same view, so I don't have to click on the album again, etc...

Just a thought.

Last edited by Ebany; 10th December 2003 at 01:47.
Old 13th December 2003, 06:53   #14
thaimonkey

Send a message via AIM to thaimonkey Send a message via Yahoo to thaimonkey
I've used all the plugins on the search list. They have all either crashed or do not do what i want.
Would it be that hard to have CoverArt as an option within the vis window? I just want coverart to be a preset in there. Maybe even put some vis effects on top of the cover.
Old 13th December 2003, 07:50   #15
Ikarus7

i must agree thaimonkey.

the other thing i wanted, browse your album folders in cover thumbnails - ok i understand that this is too much to want for now.

but just showing covers while playing in a little window must be possible,i hope so.
Old 13th December 2003, 19:38   #16
cookiecaper

If I remember right, it does that sometimes in the Internet Browser thing. Try that.
Old 14th December 2003, 10:06   #17
Ikarus7

erm o_O ..... explain.
Old 14th December 2003, 19:12   #18
Ikarus7

what about ...... someone smart doing a VIS plugin which just shows the image of the currently playing song ? would be cool .....

another idea : why not creating some lines of code which makes the info view in the ml show the .jpg which is in the same folder as the currently selected song ? that would be cool ....
Old 18th December 2003, 08:59   #19
cybermarz

I stopped using version 2.81 for 5.0 final, because I'm able to use all my favourite pluggins and skins in the classic mode.
Though it's a pitty I can't use the functionality of modern skins, but this could be a matter of time.
I still need to use albumlist because media library mess up my compilation albums. (Also a matter of time?)

Doesn't this look great? (Click to enlarge)

WinAmp 5.0 Rocks!
Old 18th December 2003, 14:14   #20
Ikarus7

it does !!!

but how did you do this ?????
is it an html file ? if so, is it possible to drag and drop your albums to play ??? please tell me !!!!!!!

+ : what plugin is your coverview for the current song ??? i didnt find one with modern skin support ....
Old 18th December 2003, 17:02   #21
MasterViVi

He's not using the modern skin.
Old 18th December 2003, 18:06   #22
Ikarus7

lol you're right ...
but plz answer .... i wanted such an album view since i had albums ...
Old 18th December 2003, 18:08   #23
graigsmith

Send a message via AIM to graigsmith
just because windows media player does it.. doesn't mean its a good idea..

i dont want album covers.. if i want to look at the album, i'll pull out the cd.
Old 18th December 2003, 18:28   #24
thaimonkey

not everyone wants every feature, but when there are enough people that DO want something, i think that it is fair to request that it is included. not just WiMP thinks it's a good idea. iTunes has done it for a while too.

and Cybermarz, i would like to know how you did that as well.

can someone provide/make a simple resizable, one window plugin that is in the default skin style (modern and classic) that can read from id3v2 coverart and pictures from the folder?
Old 18th December 2003, 21:04   #25
Shaddow

Long time Winamp 2 user here :-) - Very happy 5 is out now... Seems that the alternative cover plugin that I have been using for years has been removed from the official list...?

try

SHOWCOVER2.11

http://hjem.get2net.dk/christianlarsen/

Autosize of images in directory, including Folder.jpg

Nice..

The only thing missing for me was the ability to change font sizes for PC-TV style access.. (No response from author)
Old 18th December 2003, 21:45   #26
cybermarz

For Ikarus7, thaimonkey and others.
Here is how I made the Album Covers.

Download the covers-winamp.zip and Modern.wsz. Please read the covers-readme.txt.

It's a very small tutorial how to tweak winamp, but remember it isn't just one double-click. Maybe later, someone will make a plugin for it.

I hope it will work out fine for everybody. If you have questions, just ask here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip covers-winamp.zip (64.6 KB, 1588 views)
Old 18th December 2003, 21:57   #27
cybermarz

Grrr I can't upload Modern.wsz The forum wont allow more than 100KB
So i have make 2 zip-files which you have to unzip in x:\winamp\skins

Winamp can handle folders perfect, if you like, zip the folder modern to modern.zip and rename it to modern.wsz

Part 1
Attached Files
File Type: zip modern1.zip (45.8 KB, 926 views)
Old 18th December 2003, 21:58   #28
cybermarz

Please let me know what you think?

Part 2
Attached Files
File Type: zip modern2.zip (88.5 KB, 904 views)
Old 19th December 2003, 01:30   #29
thaimonkey

i got a little lost at this part

- Now comes the worst part, you have to copy/paste the lines (in alfabetical order) from WAL1.TMP.HTM) to ALBUM_ALL.HTML
- And the even worse part click on the first album in Album List and CTRL+S (write playlist) for every album you have.

but i got the wal1.tmp.htm to work... i just can't click on the albums to have them load.

good work on this... it'd be nice if there was a plugin that could do it without all the monkeying around.
Old 19th December 2003, 04:40   #30
Ikarus7

well ..............

i really wanted to do this, but ...
this is just too much. at the moment, i show up my folder as an explorer view in "now playing", so my albums can be seen in thumbnails too, drag & drop works too....
i agree with thaimonkey, i will wait for a plugin ....
the issue is important for me, but not THAT important

thank you for sharing it anyway.
Old 19th December 2003, 05:40   #31
brywalker

Even though I HATE MusicMatch, they really have it almost perfect with their library view. You can tell it to sort by album cover and it just displays the covers.

But you have the opportunity to one up them.

Make it so Winamp selects the first jpeg it sees in the directory, so people can name then whatever they want. On mouseover, it shows the track names, but they are not selectable that way, make it so.

This could be the one thing besides real docking that could make Winamp5 PERFECT.
Old 19th December 2003, 07:01   #32
cybermarz

Quote:
Originally posted by thaimonkey
i got a little lost at this part

- Now comes the worst part, you have to copy/paste the lines (in alfabetical order) from WAL1.TMP.HTM) to ALBUM_ALL.HTML
- And the even worse part click on the first album in Album List and CTRL+S (write playlist) for every album you have.

but i got the wal1.tmp.htm to work... i just can't click on the albums to have them load.

good work on this... it'd be nice if there was a plugin that could do it without all the monkeying around.
Did you let Albumlist write the album.m3u in the folders? This can be done by clicking CTRL+S at every album.

In Winamp preferences you have to make sure M3U is associated with Winamp.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ikarus7
well ..............

i really wanted to do this, but ...
this is just too much. at the moment, i show up my folder as an explorer view in "now playing", so my albums can be seen in thumbnails too, drag & drop works too....
i agree with thaimonkey, i will wait for a plugin ....
the issue is important for me, but not THAT important
I'm sorry to hear you can't do it. It isn't that complicated, there are just a lot actions. Just try it, and take some time!

Good luck.
Old 19th December 2003, 07:53   #33
Ikarus7

Quote:
Originally posted by brywalker

Make it so Winamp selects the first jpeg it sees in the directory, so people can name then whatever they want. On mouseover, it shows the track names, but they are not selectable that way, make it so.
This could be the one thing besides real docking that could make Winamp5 PERFECT.
exactly my opinion. i'd love to see that in winamp.... damn maybe i'll learn c++ for all the plugin stuff

@ thaimonkey : ok i'll try.
Old 20th December 2003, 00:27   #34
Ikarus7

i worked on it.
i created my coooool album htm page, it works in my browser. but it doesnt work in winamp. winamp seems to use the ie browser there, and i don't get my damn ie browser to launch the .m3u's directly, its trying to download them and gets an error message. how can i change that ???
Old 20th December 2003, 16:19   #35
cybermarz

Quote:
i worked on it.
i created my coooool album htm page, it works in my browser. but it doesnt work in winamp. winamp seems to use the ie browser there, and i don't get my damn ie browser to launch the .m3u's directly, its trying to download them and gets an error message. how can i change that ???
Yes, Winamp uses MsIE.
If I recall right MsIE should show a dialog box what to do with this m3u-file. Check open with (default) winamp application. View album_all.html in IE and try to change this setting.

In Winamp preferences you have to make sure M3U is associated with Winamp.

This should do the trick.
Old 21st December 2003, 11:57   #36
Ikarus7

somehow.... i got it.
works so great. i'm going to post a delphi-program here which sets up your album.html easily, so you dont have to do all the work with the keyboard. *goes to work on that*
Old 21st December 2003, 12:32   #37
Ikarus7

I'm done.
I worked out a pack which containts the albumviewer.142 + my program.

My Program does all the work for you, just select the folders you want to have in your thumbnail cover-view, it creates a HTML file that you can use.

works so great, its just fun to see all my albums in little pictures just like a CD-Shelve.

Album Cover Thumbnail View Pack

Old 21st December 2003, 15:13   #38
cybermarz

Quote:
I'm done.
I worked out a pack which containts the albumviewer.142 + my program.

My Program does all the work for you, just select the folders you want to have in your thumbnail cover-view, it creates a HTML file that you can use.

works so great, its just fun to see all my albums in little pictures just like a CD-Shelve.

Album Cover Thumbnail View Pack

Nice job, Ikarus7!!

I'm wish I could make such application, like you did.
I've tried once to write a batch, without succes.

I think you can archieve some improvements by scanning the mp3 root(s), instead of clicking individual folders. It will take some time to add albums when you have a bigger collection.

[wish mode]
Let's hope the Winamp crew get's inspired and add "Album Covers" to the next releasse.
[/wish mode]
Old 21st December 2003, 15:53   #39
Dextro

Couldn't nullsoft do something like this?

(see attached picture)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wa5_cover.jpg (54.5 KB, 1997 views)

Old 21st December 2003, 16:24   #40
Ikarus7

@ cybermarz : i thought so too, but then i realized that it works to click one time at "add to html", then you're able to click one album folder after another, just hitting enter to add it into your html. (the focus stays on the button, that's why)

anyway it was just a 20-minutes work to make it easier, this should not be the perfect program .... because i hope it will be realized and implemented better in the media library.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist