Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 19th December 2005, 00:50   #1
FritzKatz

Return of: "Error ripping track #1: Can't open decoder. Aborting" <OK>

Running WinAmpPro with a "Valid 5.0 registration key". (I have used WinAmpPro for months on this same computer without problems)

Message appears when ripping MP3s:
"CD Drive Currently in use". <OK>
Followed by:
"Error ripping track #1: Can't open decoder. Aborting" <OK>

After doing a clean install of WinAmp (v5.12(x86) - Dec.9 2005)

I have already followed instructions at this thread:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....65#post1223065

- Made sure "Digital Audio Extraction" was checkmarked,
- unchecked "Use sonic engine"
- and ftp'd the WNASPI32.DLL to "C:\Program Files\Winamp"
- didn't work, shutdown Winamp (WinAmp crashes, wants to "Tell Microsoft about the problem", MS says 'ask NullSoft about the problem')

Then I put the older WNASPI32.DLL in C:\WINDOWS\system32
- Restarted Winamp
-- still didn't work, shutdown Winamp (but at least WinAmp didn't crash) --

Another problem: WinAmp changes folder properties where I extract MP3s to "Read Only".

Sony VIAO, PCV-RS-430G(UC)
Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2002, 9/19/2003
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

CD-ROM: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/28/2002 6:27 PM)

Sound Card: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys (5.12.01.3622, 565.19 KB (578,752 bytes), 8/13/2003 7:58 PM)
Old 19th December 2005, 04:52   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Re: HJT log

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Open Site\opensite.exe
C:\Program Files\Open Site\services.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Open Site] "C:\Program Files\Open Site\opensite.exe"

O16 - DPF: {42F2C9BA-614F-47C0-B3E3-ECFD34EED658} (Installer Class) - http://66.29.7.159/toolbar/cabs/free_access.cab

O16 - DPF: {E62A47D8-74B1-4A93-963A-E5E43B7CC5C2} (UCSearch.ucUCSearch) - http://www.zuvio.com/opnste/UCSearch.CAB

These all relate to OpenSite Adware
http://www.tasklist.org/task_opensite_exe_7755.html
http://castlecops.com/s8501-opensite_exe.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com....opensite.html

You should be able to remove it via: Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
and if there's any entries left afterwards, then checkmark them in the HJT Scan results, and click "fix checked" (for any of the entries I referenced above ONLY).

The most likely startup process to blame for your problem ("cd drive currently in use") is one of the following:

O23 - Service: Lsdiorw - Logiciels & Services Duhem, Paris, France - C:\Program Files\LS_Duhem\lsdiorw\lsdiorw2.exe

http://www.macdisk.com/lsdioen.php3

QUOTE: "Under Windows 2000 and XP, our utilities don't use the Aspi layer any more. We wrote a specific service, named Lsdiorw, running under the local system account, which calls SPTI and IOCTL functions and allows plain users to access the physical drives"

or

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star....exe-1652.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=ezSP_Px.exe

QUOTE: "Engine that allows PrimoDVD from Veritas (was Prassi) and Drag'n Drop CD from Easy Systems (and maybe others) to record, and protects against other software overwriting the settings"

Winamp also uses the Primo/Veritas engine (aka: Sonic), so there could be a conflict with it and some other burning/ripping software you've installed.

This useless/resource-hogging startup process should probably be disabled:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZTgServerSwitch] "c:\program files\support.com\client\bin\tgcmd.exe" /server

http://www.winpatrol.com/db/freesample/tgcmd.html
http://castlecops.com/startuplist-4638.html

I'm also a bit confused as to what graphics card you've got.

These 3 entries relate to an nVidia graphics card
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

These 2 entries relate to an ATI graphics card
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe

These 2 entries relate to onboard Intel graphics
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll

I can understand that you've maybe got an onboard graphics chip (possibly not in use) and one AGP Graphics card (in use)... however, this is unlikely to be related to the problem at hand, but I just thought I'd mention it anyway, because it could be causing other conflicts/issues.

Re: Winamp-specific...

First, confirm that you're not trying to rip the CD whilst it's playing.
You can play it, or rip it, but you can't do both at the same time.

Have you installed any extra 3rd-party plugins, and if so, which ones?
In particular, any 3rd-party MP3 Input plugins such as in_mp3pro or in_mpg123 or in_mad, etc? If so, then we recommend that you disable it and only use the default Nullsoft in_mp3.dll decoder.

Please also tell us what your CD Ripping settings are, in particular:

Winamp > Prefs > CD Ripping

Encoder tab:

Which encoder is selected, and with what preset/settings?

Ripping tab:

Speed setting?
Is "use sonic engine" checked/unchecked?

note, as from 5.12 the settings in "prefs > plugins > input > in_cdda" config only affect playback, not ripping. So if "use sonic" is still enabled in the CD Ripping prefs, then wnaspi32 will not even be used.

Output File Settings tab:

Please copy+paste both your "destination folder" and "naming convention" fields here.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 07:49   #3
FritzKatz

Bingo! -- problem solved. Your first suspicion of "O23 - Service: Lsdiorw" was correct. You are truly a 'Guru'.

I removed it first (by going to the uninstaller in C:\Program Files\LS_Duhem\) and now WinAmp is functional again.

I remember trying to read a Mac disk over 2 years ago, and purchasing MacDisk. Since then their "service" has been disabling my CD drivers -- strange I haven't seen other problems (until now).

Now to go get all the other 'cruft' such as OpenSite, ezShieldProtector, tgcmd, and ... amazing what builds up over several years.

In answer to to your other questions (point is moot since the problem is solved):

No extra 3rd-party plugins were installed (I had just done a 'clean install' by removing,deleting,rebooting,re-installing WinAmp).

CD-Ripping speed is 8x. The "use sonic engine" is checked. Strange: since the (Prefs -> Plugins -> Input -> in_cdda -> config) "Use Sonic engine when possible" is unchecked since I followed the instructions at the other thread.

The destination folder is:
D:\Bitstreams\MP3
Naming convention:
<Artist> - <Album>\## - <Artist> - <Title>

And thank you for your help!

I am now a "happy camper" once again.

-- FritzKatz
FritzKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2006, 09:49   #4
FritzKatz

Same Problem is Back again.

AAAArgh! -- Removing Lsdiorw fixed the problem for several weeks, but now the problem is back again.

I also uninstalled (through the control panel: 'Remove Programs') the other programs you suggested.

Strange: HiJackThis says these programs are still running:

Even though both were uninstalled -- and I made sure that they were physically removed from my harddrive. And, I restarted after removing them. The "C:\Program Files\Open Site\" directory doesn't even exist.

I have an ATI graphics card.

I have recently installed QuickTime 7.0.3 and iTunes from Apple.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
-- FritzKatz
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.log.txt (13.4 KB, 1136 views)
Old 1st January 2006, 21:55   #5
FritzKatz

Re: Same Problem is Back again.

Quote:
Originally posted by FritzKatz
Strange: HiJackThis says these programs are still running:

Even though both were uninstalled -- and I made sure that they were physically removed from my harddrive. And, I restarted after removing them. The "C:\Program Files\Open Site\" directory doesn't even exist.
Figured this one out -- need to run HijackThis and click "Fixed Checked" to remove them from the list. Disregard the previous 'HijackThis.log' and use this one instead.

However, still can't rip tracks.

If WinAmp is able to detect that a "CD Drive currently in use" -- then it should be able to tell who is currently using the drive and make a more informative error message? Then we'd know exactly who the offending program is that's taken over control of our CD drives.

-- Fritz
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis_log.txt (12.9 KB, 1296 views)
Old 11th January 2006, 23:06   #6
swmmng

I have the same problem - the CD in use message, followed by the encoder error message.

eMachines T6000
Processor: Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.00 GHz
BIOS Version 07.00T (don't know what company)
Total Physical Memory 1024 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1536 MB

CD-ROM: Samsung CD/RW SW-248F
Driver: 5.1.2535.0, 7/1/2001

Sound Card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Driver: 5.10.0000.5940, 10/4/2005

Destination folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Benjamin Frey\My Documents\Music History

Naming convention: <Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title>

I am ripping the Norton Recorded Anthology of Western Music, Vol. 2. I have gotten through 5 of 6 CDs (CDs 7-11), and through track 16 on CD 12. That's when the errors popped up, and every time I try to start ripping again (I've tried a few tracks after 16), I get those errors. I've included a HJT log.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (5.2 KB, 1252 views)
swmmng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2006, 00:10   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, we still can't reproduce the problem... and believe us, we've tried!

Your HJT log shows you've got/had some viruses

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows Ocx Service] winocx.exe

http://www.google.com/search?q=winocx.exe
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/anal...32rbotaqj.html

O23 - Service: Service Hosts (ServiceHost) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\shost.exe (file missing)

http://castlecops.com/o23list-1221.html
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/anal...32rbotaxg.html
Old 21st January 2006, 00:57   #8
swmmng

Ummm, I can't find either of those files on my computer, and neither can AVG, Spybot, or Ad-Aware.
Old 21st January 2006, 01:50   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

C:\WINDOWS\shost.exe is missing, which means it's already been deleted, but the "O23 - Service: Service Hosts (ServiceHost)" service is still registered as an automatic service, and should therefore be disabled/removed.

start > run > services.msc
Service Hosts > properties > change Startup Type to "disabled"

start > run > cmd
type: sc delete ServiceHost
Hit Enter

Because "O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows Ocx Service] winocx.exe" doesn't say "(file missing)" then this suggests that it must still be there. Make sure you can see hidden & system files (c/o settings in Windows > Folder Options > View tab). The probable location of the file will be in the %system% folder, eg. C:\Windows\system32\winocx.exe

Other than that, I'm honestly not sure why you're still getting that error message.
The only entry I see in the "Running Processes" section of your log which might be locking the CD (thus giving the "cd drive currently in use" error) is "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe" which apparently lets you use a remote control with your DVD drive.... though I wasn't familiar with some of the other running processes (AvaFind.exe, xplorer2.exe, Rainmeter.exe, allSnap.exe).

Microsoft Machine Debug Manager has also been known to cause problems ("C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe") so you might also want to try disabling that in the Services Control Panel (or at least change it to "manual" Startup Type instead of "automatic").

Yup, it's a weird one, that's for sure, heh. Not one person on the dev/beta/QA/moderator teams can reproduce the problem... and that's quite a lot of people.

Sorry I couldn't help to get to the bottom of this, but hopefully someone will find out what/how/why eventually... :/
Old 3rd February 2006, 18:45   #10
MandoMan

See my post at the bottom of:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....09#post1857809

I went through the same thing, but what a simple solution. Winamp working great, then this random problem coming up every so often. Tried to delete and find the problems listed above, but with no succes. some tracks or albums just would not rip.
However, you may have something else going on.
good luck,
MandoMan
MandoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 20:30   #11
swmmng

I had tried this, and WinAmp is STILL having this problem! I suppose I might use WMP sooner or later, but that would mean dealing with that POS and typing in these track names (which are long, but I'm sure not nearly the maximum) by hand. Blargh.
Old 15th August 2006, 09:40   #12
antdos

MandoMan - good work! The file name too long thing was my problem. Just as a small extra note, I had to restart Winamp to make it notice that its blockage had gone.
antdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 14:19   #13
grahamr2039

CD Drive Currently in use

Message appears when ripping MP3s:
Followed by:
"Error ripping track #1: Can't open decoder. Aborting" <OK>

The only solution seems to be to reboot as I have no idea why Winamp thinks the drive is in use. It was happily ripping a cd and stopped before starting the last track on the disk.

This has happened many times and so far I have been unable to find a pattern of events that may shed some light on the bug.
grahamr2039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 14:38   #14
antdos

But when you reboot it works for that same track? Just wondering whether it's a particularly long track name (not that there weren't other problems!)
antdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 23:38   #15
grahamr2039

You are right re-boot whether its soft or hard does not fix the problem. Winamp seems to have a memory about the specific occurrence and I have not found a way of getting around it. Even if I delete the old folder it was using and try to get it to rip from scratch again it comes up with the same error.

Its got to be a BUG.
Old 2nd September 2006, 06:25   #16
grahamr2039

This problem surfaced again - and I got around it -

Followed by:
"Error ripping track #n: Can't open decoder. Aborting" <OK>

I haven't proven it yet as I haven't had the time to fiddle ..........but
I got over/around the problem by re-associating .mp3 with winamp.

How did I do this...well I am using a piece of software call Total Commander (www.ghisler.com) and it has a tool to force associations. So I used its tool and lo and behold I am back in business with Winamp. There are other ways of doing this of course.

I am guessing (yet to be proven) that I started Real Player inadvertently,it switched the .mp3 association and Winamp objected. It might be more complicated than that but I was happy to be back ripping my CD's again to look further.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support