Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 4th April 2005, 23:15   #41
DrO

i'm working on it at the moment

the test files i have are all working correctly but i think i have some of Winamp's default settings disabled (i've got to test on a clean install in a bit). just trying to trackdown a bug in another part of the code at the moment before i put out a later alpha build (i know my tests are fine but as i know from other plugins, things on other machines can often be very different)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005, 01:44   #42
DrO

1.2 alpha 9 >> here

i'm not sure how this will work, i found i need to insert a quarter second delay after the file has/is starting before i make the plugin force fullscreen mode on (which in all my test cases works everytime).

i'm going to look into this more since have a fixed delay is far from how i want the plugin to work so tomorrow i'll be spending a few hours looking at message logs of what's happening as the files are started.

give it a go and let me know either way

other fixes:
* fixed playlist window appearing over the fullscreen window on load
* added a 'DrO-up the video window' test option to see how some extra hacking works (will become apparent when enabled!)
* fixed the 'hide avs' option to not be locked on despite the prefs being disabled
* fixed restore of the vis (at least avs) when on and then a video starts and it needs to flip back, will now only show the window for the correct non-video files
* tweaks, etc, etc

-daz
Old 5th April 2005, 10:52   #43
DrLuigi

Feedback

Hi DrO,

I have tested the new build, but unfortunately it still skips every second music video clip on the playlist. In other words, there is a black screen for every second clip eventhough the video clip music plays O.K.

Once you have a new build for us test please let me know.

Thanks again for your effort and support.

Best regards,

Luis Filipe
DrLuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005, 11:05   #44
DrO

that at least confirms a thought i had about this in that it's the video render's startup time that's causing the issue. i'll see what else i can work around tonight otherwise i'll setup a new test build with the ability to alter the delay to see how that works to see if my thoughts on it are right. there'll be a new build tonight

-daz
Old 5th April 2005, 21:57   #45
DrO

v1.2 alpha 10

this one works differently now since i realised i'd been trying to force the fullscreen mode when the file's bitrate information was updating which is lame for constant bitrate files. anyway, i've altered the handling now to work far better now in my tests (and now longer works off a timer which was a poor work around)

hopefully this will work far better now. there will always be a slight 'glitch' when the file starts and playback begins and only a natively coded mode could probably work around that)

*fingers crossed more for this build*

-daz
Old 6th April 2005, 11:37   #46
DrLuigi

Hi DrO,

I kept my fingers crossed, but unfortunately the same still happens, that is, a blank screen on every second music video clip that it plays.

I am sure that you will not let this "bug" beat you, and you will find away to defeat it.

Thanks again.
Luis Filipe

P.S: Just for your information, and probably you should inform all Winamp fans that aren´t already aware, but there could be a big break through for Winamp in Europe (where I come from). Due to anti-monopoly reasons, the European Union has just mandated Microsoft to stop selling in Europe its Windows Operating System with Windows Media Player embedded.

This will certainly give a big boost to other Media Players on the market, namely Winamp :-)

Keep up the good work.
Old 11th April 2005, 14:05   #47
DrO

i'm really at a loss on this one. i'm going to see if i can somehow setup a dual screen rig (i may have an old pci graphics card somewhere which will let me do it) since i'm sure that is what you said you were running on.

my thoughts now are that there's a fair chance this is an issue with Winamp and not the plugin since i'm currently just force sending the same action as you would get when clicking on the fullscreen menu entry in the video window.

it's going to take me a few days to try and get things setup (assuming i still have the old graphics cards) and into a stable test state.

-daz
Old 11th April 2005, 16:55   #48
DrLuigi

Yes, your reasoning is correct.

I have to click twice on every second music video clip to play the video.
In other words, on the first music video clip I manually click once and it plays the video. On the second clip when I click once it opens on a blank screen, and when I click twice it plays the video.
Then on the third clip I only need to click once to play the video, and so forth.

It seems like a toggle switch.

It has happen though that I have been able to click only once to play the first, second, third and fouth clip without opening a blank screen in between them. However, very seldom that this happens.

Can you please let me know what plugins you have installed and how they are configured so that I can do exactly the same test here.

Thanks again and regards,
Old 11th April 2005, 21:35   #49
DrLuigi

Hi DrO,

I have found the bug.

On the Winamp Video Preferences settings, I had the option
"Close the video window after video playback ends" selected.

This "bug" causes that every second video clip is not loaded.

The reason I had this selected was to automatically close the video window everytime we passed from video clips to audio clips. If this is not selected, the video window frame stays open (eventhough blank)on top of the visualization window. This is awful because the video clips and visualization effects are projected on a large screen.

The easy work-around (I think) is for your Auto full screen plug-in to have the option "Close the video window after video playback ends" that replaces the similar function on the Video Preferences settings.

If you are able to do this then I believe we will have the problem solved.

Besides this small but important issue, the Winamp solution works great on the second output display.

rgds
Old 12th April 2005, 13:27   #50
DrO

ah, that would explain a lot of things. i have it setup to leave the window open since i was leaving it like that to test a few things with the visualisation handling to make sure that it was swithcing between the windows correctly, etc.

i should be able to add in a close option to replace the built in winamp option. i'll also have a look at things with the winamp option enabled to see why it is doing that (since if i can fix it for the native handling then that would be far better)

i'll see what i can get done tonight on this since i know can see what i need to look at

-daz
Old 16th April 2005, 22:37   #51
DrLuigi

Hi DrO,

How far are you the new build?
Old 16th April 2005, 22:44   #52
DrO

it should be tomorrow. haven't been able to code for the last 2 days due to issues with upgrading my pc and a stinking head cold which sort of hinders things. i'll have a look at the code in a bit since i thought i'd part implemented the close feature

-daz
Old 17th April 2005, 22:42   #53
DrO

v1.2 alpha 13

i think i've got the close thing working correctly in the plugin and i think it may work ok with the winamp option being enabled as well. i think it's still going to be a play with the settings thing to get this working.

-daz
Old 19th April 2005, 19:25   #54
DrLuigi

Hi DrO,

We are finally there but there is still a problem with some skins.

We are using a fullscreen skin (which I just sent to you via e-mail), and sometimes the video opens in the primary monitor instead of the secondary monitor.

Can you please do a test with this skin and let us know if with some tweaking we can overcome this "bug".

With the normal multi-window classic skin it seems to work fine.

Question: On the the transition between videos we see for some miliseconds the videoframe. Is it possible to configure the plugin so that we don't see this frame?

Thanks again for the help.

Best regards,

Luis Filipe
Old 25th April 2005, 20:16   #55
DrLuigi

HiDrO,

Any news for me with respect to my latest bug fix request?
Old 25th April 2005, 20:25   #56
DrO

Can you resend the mail you sent (i lost my intial inbox this weekend due to messed up hardware upgrade and i don't have a local copy now )

-daz
Old 25th April 2005, 21:02   #57
DrLuigi

DrO,

I have just resent you the e-mail with the Skin.

Note: I also got this "intermitent" video issue with a other skins as well. However, I was not able to replicate this problem on the classic skin. (Strange).

Luis Filipe
Old 3rd May 2005, 07:26   #58
DrLuigi

Hi DrO,

Any news for me?
Do you do tests with the skin I sent you?
Were you able to overcome the intermitent bug which apparently only happens with some skins?

Thanking you in advance for the prompt reply,
Old 11th May 2005, 22:17   #59
DrLuigi

Hi DrO,

Any update on the new build with the bug fix?

rgds

Luis Filipe
Old 11th May 2005, 22:58   #60
siebe83
Forum King

DrO's having a break from the forums at the moment. He'll be back in June (as you can see in his sig); I'm pretty sure he'll reply then

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 22:54   #61
BriMonster

Hey,

I just wanted to put in a formal request for a version of Auto Video Fullscreen which will work in v5.091. Thanks!

BriMonster
BriMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 02:15   #62
DrO

v1.2 alpha 14

a few people have mentioned this doesn't work with 5.09x and luckily it was a simple fix (since Winamp added in something i hadn't expected to happen but now this should work fine).

-daz
Old 14th June 2005, 00:23   #63
BriMonster

Cool - thanks!
BriMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 18:14   #64
DrO

Auto Video Fullscreen v1.2
  • Finalised the plugin to 1.2 final now after all of the alpha test builds and generally tidied up the code (essentially UI tweaks over the last alpha build since all else seems to be stable now)
get v1.2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as i can tell this is as stable as i can get it with the features that the plugin implements and as such this plugin now won't be touched unless there's an issue directly related to it.

DrLuigi: i looked at that skin and for all of the test files i could throw at it (varying quality as well) and the window remained on the second monitor (i mangaged to get a £5 adapter to allow me to use the dvi output on the graphics card). I can't remember if i answered this before or not but you asked about the gap between the videos and if there was a way to get around it, unfortunately this plugin can't do that (though having the option to not remove fullscreen on the end of video helps to an extent) and it's really down to the input plugin to handle it correctly (though i'm not sure if the video input plugins can properly work around it or not)

-daz
Old 9th July 2005, 14:58   #65
DrO

News: 09/07/2005
Submitted and published on Winamp.com now since it seems stable enough for a bit more publicity...

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=145540

-daz
Old 26th September 2006, 03:42   #66
ylaviolette

delay for "disable visualisation when video starts"

Hello DrO, would it be possible to add a "delay" before a signal is sent to "disable visualisation when video starts"?

I noticed that for some videos, (especially when you play two in a row) the disable visualisation signal from your plugin comes before Winamp sends a signal to "auto execute visualisation" (from the main plug ins menu)

This results in having visualisation running in background, therefore adding a lot of pressure on the cpu and making videos jitter...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Yann.
ylaviolette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 05:59   #67
etgsgroup

v5.091. is work, Thanks
etgsgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 13:46   #68
DrO

Re: delay for "disable visualisation when video starts"

Quote:
Originally posted by ylaviolette
Hello DrO, would it be possible to add a "delay" before a signal is sent to "disable visualisation when video starts"?

I noticed that for some videos, (especially when you play two in a row) the disable visualisation signal from your plugin comes before Winamp sends a signal to "auto execute visualisation" (from the main plug ins menu)
i can look into trying to implement that or i could look at just doing a better check on the next playing file to see what it's type is so it would skip the auto vis option if it does detect the file as a video since the current code if i remember correctly basis it on the video window state. not sure when i can try to do this but i've noted it in the plugin's todo list (will possibly pm you a test build when i do get anything done on it)

-daz
Old 26th September 2006, 23:48   #69
ylaviolette

Thanks DrO, much appreciated, can't wait to test that new build; just submit your test build and I'll get back to you within minutes.

To help you out, here's a few conclusions I've come to following recent testing:

=======

- Generally, on the first video played, visualisation is disabled, on the second video in a row, viz will be reactivated, On the third it will stop, on the fourth it will come back, and so forth...

- Generally, if an even (2,4,etc) number of videos is played, the following mp3 (audio) file won't have visualisation activated, you will have to wait for the next mp3 to have it back.

- it seems like If viz is already running (just before a video or while the second, fourth, etc, video is playing), running a new video will make viz stop.

- if viz is not already running when a video is started, it seems like Winamp's function: "automatically start viz" will always win over your plugin.

- Starting videos fullsceen is flawless, keeping visualisation away is not stable

- I noticed that "minimizing" the visualisation window would act like closing the windows on CPU usage. Maybe this would be a good way to implement the new build. It would also minimize the visual clicks and pops from switching windows on and off. I don't care about the viz window being active, I just want the video window on top and the visualisation windows not consuming CPU.

=====

I've been waiting so long for the moment I could get Viz and videos running fullscreen without major compromises... can't wait to drop Windows media player... If a contribution to your "mission" would help get my problem on top of your pile, let me know

BTW, 2 last questions:

1 - is it possible to "simulate" fullscreen with AVS (or another decent viz)? (Milkdrop does that, it basically hides the visualisation window's frame without going in "real" fullscreen mode Unfortunately, your plugin (or milkdrop?) crashes winamp whenever you try to run Milkdrop fullscreen...)

2 - What exactly makes it so difficult to switch from a video to a visualisation without leaving fullscreen mode??? Any clue on how Windows media player managed to have fullscreen running for both visualisation and videos without flipping back and forth???

Thanks again =)

Yann
Old 28th September 2006, 13:21   #70
DrO

with #1, i've not been able to reproduce that though i've heard of a few reports with it so i'm not too sure who is the cause of that (if i can ever reproduce it then i'd have a better idea). as for the question, any such implementation would need to be implemented in the relevant vis plugins (though i thought avs also had a fake/overlay mode as well...)

with #2 it's a lot to do with how things work with winamp i believe and more importantly due to vis plugins using their own methods of drawing and the video code using it's own as well (although i'm sure that there's similar code in place). the only true way which i'm possibly guessing how wmp does it (not using wmp i can only guess) is that it will have everything using a common output window which as such would allow for seemless switching. as i say that's only a guess and really seeing as video support was essentially hacked onto the winamp core it's not too surprising that there are issues with fullscreen modes for video and visualisations.

i can't give an eta on when i can look into the changes/compatability fixes that are needed (i'd like to do it next week but i've got to put real work first at the moment which is leaving me little time to do coding when i get home in the evenings but we shall see what i can do...)

-daz
Old 30th September 2006, 18:08   #71
ylaviolette

Good news, winamp V5.3 seems to resolve the conflict between Milkdrop fullscreen mode and your plugin; unfortunately, Winamp's windows keep coming back on top of the fullscreen video =(

That only leaves two things to resolve:

1: making sure that the fullscreen video always remains on top of other windows.

2: finding a way to synchronise your plugin's ability to close the visualisation and the "automatically start viz" feature built in winamp so that visualistions only (and always) run when no video is playing. (Based on the fact that Milkdrop is less cpu consuming than AVS, we could keep it running in background but it would have to come back fullscreen automatically after videos are played, but I doubt it would work without shutting it down first...)

Thanks for getting back to me, just pm me when you are ready for some testing, I'll be more than happy to help out.

Have a great weekend =)
Old 30th September 2006, 19:08   #72
ylaviolette

Problem 1 resolved, I had "disable on top while fullscreen applications are focused" option enabled in general preferences.

It does exacly the opposite...

When disabled it seems OK.

This only leaves the syncro problem to resolve;
What do you think of disabling Winamp's embedded "auto-vis" function and driving the re-enabling of visualisation straight from your plugin? Maybe you would have better control over the timing...

Thx again.
Old 30th September 2006, 21:20   #73
DrO

i'll try and look into things tomorrow. i think the milkdrop crash may have been related to fix in the jtfe plugin i made (since that could cause some of the vis plugins to crash if they were used with a modern skin).

before i forget, are you using a classic or modern skin (and if it is a modern skin which one are you using since that could have an effect on things as well)

-daz
Old 1st October 2006, 16:39   #74
ylaviolette

I'm using winamp's modern skin (the std blueish one),
I'll be checking back periodically if you need me to test anything. Keep me posted. Thx
Old 4th October 2006, 15:25   #75
ylaviolette

Hello DrO, FYI a good way to test the problem is to queue three files in the playlist, first one being a Video and the second/third MP3's. With visualisation off (milkdrop w/ auto fake fullscreen and auto run Vis from Winamp enabled), press play, the video file will start fullscreen but visualisation will be running in background; when the video finishes, the video windows will close but Visualisation won't come back, it will only come back when the third file starts. Thx again, keep me posted.
Old 4th October 2006, 22:58   #76
DrO

i can reproduce this though it appears to be a modern skin issue from what i can tell since i can with some brute force make things go wrong so both milkdrop and the video are shown in a classic skin though in general milkdrop is killed (but isn't killed soon enough from what i'd expect now that i'm looking more closely at things).

i think this may be a pain to work through since there's a number of different things going on and the timing different events occur at is the most likely cause of the issues i think... at least i can reproduce this at least, heh

-daz
Old 6th October 2006, 21:44   #77
ylaviolette

I'm confident you'll find a solution =) keep me posted.

Thx
Old 10th October 2006, 22:01   #78
ylaviolette

Got your message on the other thread, thx
keep me posted when you'll be back working on that issue, I'll remain available 24/7 for testing! (can't wait to have this fixed =) )
To date, this seems to be the last bug left to have my "complete Winamp home" fully functionnal.

Just in case someone's interested:

I am using ATI's UHF remote wonder (completely reprogrammed for Winamp through Keymaster/keyfatory) and wireless keyboards/mice to control Winamp throughout the house (7 TV's/LCD's ranging from 14" to 42") My PC acts as a MP3/Video server and using directories/moods (therefore keeping everything up to date without having to update playlists), I can enqueue/dequeue/clear different mucical styles and/or temporary playlists without having to stop the music (Thx to DrO's JTFE and "Global hotkey - clear playlist" plugins.) Videos always play fullscreen on all sets and MP3's come with great Milkdrop's visualisation (just need to settle that remaining bug in DrO's auto fullscreen plugin ... ) Along with regular playing/volume functions, if you want to see lyrics (through minilyrics) or song title you can get all of this at a touch of a button. I have also added X-10 triggers to control lights and appliances through the same remotes.

Just great... =)

Since a lot of fine tuning was required along the way, drop me a post if you need assistance to install/configure a similar setup.

Many thx again to DrO for his precious help.

Yann.
Old 26th October 2006, 00:52   #79
ylaviolette

Hello DrO, have you had a chance to look into this?
Thank you =)
Old 9th February 2007, 16:29   #80
ylaviolette

Hello Dro, I guess you're spending most of your free time on JTFE but just wanted to see if you had a few secs to look into this? BTW I think the way to resolve this would be to override Winamp's "auto execute visualization" function and integrate it to your plugin. Thx
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion