Old 1st December 2013, 02:46   #1
MadnessR

Where do we go now?

I was hoping that the preset makers would come together and find a new place to post presets. I hope this is not the end. There is still no other visualization like Milkdrop. I will continue to use Winamp for music and visualizations for many many years to come. Does anyone have any ideas?
MadnessR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 11:42   #2
neebster

Since milkdrop2 is open source now, I hope someone creates a build for foobar2000 and hydrogenaudio forums turns into the new home for milkdrop presets.
neebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 00:51   #3
TheNewGeneration

Well, there is a slightly less awesome alternative.

Have you heard of electric sheep?

Basically, it turns your screensaver into a flurry of randomized fractal dancers. Lots of colors and lots of shapes make it the best screensaver I have seen. You can create your own "Sheep", but the process is tricky, but there is an alternative. Using the sheep you already have, plus ones it downloads off the internet, your computer will create its own every so often, and many times, much like remixing a preset is done in Milkdrop, you will see a variation of a sheep you have seen before.

The downside to this is that it is not music reactive. But, it is still trippy as hell. Search it on youtube and give it a look!
TheNewGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 13:13   #4
neebster

Yes I've used electric sheep a long time ago but it's a completely different thing (not a music visualizer). What I find off-putting about it is that it is really low-res and looks terrible on my 30" 2560x1600 screen.

Running milkdrop2 at 2560x1600 60fps is absolutely insane.
neebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 01:41   #5
TheNewGeneration

Believe it or not, Electric Sheep is actually really high res now, for at least some of them. Still, I stand by you when I say that Milkdrop2 is so much better. I am going to miss mixing presets. I love doing that...
Old 5th December 2013, 01:58   #6
DrO

nothing is stopping you continuing to mix presets - it's not like it's all magically going to stop working on the 20th.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 03:38   #7
TheNewGeneration

Yeah, but it becomes basically pointless on the 20th, you know? I am still going to do it, God knows it, but the fun of collaboration with other mixers and people over this forum is the main reason I do it. Speaking of which, I should probably upload my last batch before I can't do it anymore...
Old 5th December 2013, 08:56   #8
DrO

you could already then say its pointless since milkdrop was open sourced as thats the general sign of something being dead. there's the alternative forum for such discussions if wanted or I'm sure someone has setup a vis specific forum / group so the points you're mentioning are relatively moot.
Old 5th December 2013, 11:38   #9
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
I've something in my head of creating a communnity around presets just like
the skins...

from the hosting view everything is ready: www.milkdrop.tk
but I need more time...

lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 11:44   #10
DrO

there's a place on http://winampforum.com/ (the current sub-forums are rough place holders so things can be moved around if wanted) for such things and there's already a competent skin/plug-in site being worked on which i believe will also accept presets so you can use that rather than fragmenting and making something else when people are already doing things. just saying so as not to waste time / duplicate resources and it all then fail.
Old 5th December 2013, 23:52   #11
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
..for such things and there's already a competent skin/plug-in site being worked on which i believe will also accept presets..
You´re talking about 1001skins.com? It will be good to have a proper AVS / Milkdrop section in there.. with this Winamp-ending thing I spent a little more time lately watching some old stuff and got in love again with Milkdrop.. even cleaned up from those 500+ presets to just the 200 I like more (been wanting to do that for years..). Now I would like to see new presets not included v2.25.. will have to search the forums I know, but it would be really cool to have a site with previews of each..

PS: @ravermeister: The way I see it, the key for a new Milkdrop site should be about new presets not present in v2.25 don´t you think? And maybe some marketing-move to drive people to it, like groups in DeviantArt, an updated guide in PDF, tutorials to do specific /popular presets, even a guide to achieve some specific look, etc..
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 23:56   #12
DrO

that's the one
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets