Old 22nd January 2008, 19:47   #1
SpamDirector

Prevent timestamp changing

Hi folks,

Every time i change something on my ID3-tag in Winamp (for example if I add a comment or change the genre after listening the file), it automatically changes the file's timestamp. I like to sort my files by date I added them, so this is not very useful to me.

Is there any possibility to prevent Winamp from updating the file's timestamp? Most mp3-tag-tools have this function but it's just way more handy to change the genre or something right after listening to a file than to search the file in the mp3-tag-tool after listening...

Thanks in advance!

Greets
SpamDirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:15   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
When you edit a ID3 tag, you are modifying the file, therefore the modified date will change.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:22   #3
SpamDirector

Surely I'm aware of that, but this doesn't help me out with my question, does it?

You can find a lot of tag-editors which let you decide yourself if you want the timestamp updated or not when you're changing something, so this function can't be that needless...
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:26   #4
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
The use one of those tools. But it is kind of a wrong way to go about organizing your files by Modified Date, especially if you keep modifying them.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 07:48   #5
SpamDirector

Yeah it's maybe kind of wrong doing this that way but imagine this: 3 years ago I ripped a CD and put those songs on my harddisk. Now I listen to one of those songs and I realize that the genre I gave 3 years ago isn't quite correct (maybe it's Acid Jazz instead of Nu Jazz or something). So I change the Genre of this file (with Winamp). Now I want to transfer all songs I added in the last four weeks to my iPod. Now, the mentioned file is contained there, too (because it's modified date changed). This is not what I want...

But okay, thank you for the reply, then I'll every time have to search the file I was listening to in a tag-editor and change it.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:35   #6
Sagehorn

Is there meanwhile a way to do this with winamp?
I btw can't understand the objections: No timestamp-change with winamp, but with every other tool, whats the problem?
If you want a smartview with only new mp3s, it's the only way without also having those tracks, that are just edited in winamp. Afaik other tools like mediamonkey also have that feature.
Sagehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 18:20   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehorn View Post
Is there meanwhile a way to do this with winamp?
No, there is still no way to prevent the Winamp tag editor from updating a file's modified date, other than not using it.

Because of the way Winamp uses a file's modification date for certain things, instead of its creation date, I sometimes don't want the modified date changed either.

The only way to avoid this is using a 3rd party tag editor that provides the option of not changing the modified date. In these cases, I also enable the files' 'read only' attribute afterward to ensure that any inadvertent changes made within Winamp would not be accepted and thus will not change the files' modified dates.

However, if you make tag changes without updating the files' modified dates, the ordinary manual and automatic media library scans will not pickup these changes. You have to select the affected files in the media library and use a right click context menu command to force these metadata changes to be made to the media library database records.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 18:41   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Is there any possibility to prevent Winamp from updating the file's timestamp?
Make the files read only? Hopefully Winamp wouldn't override file permissions. I can't say for certain but 17GB of my music collection is read only just to save me from klutz. Winamp seems to respect the archive. I can't change the tags or anything.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 21:04   #9
DrO

yet for most people, any change to a file should be changing the time of the file.

to my understanding, there are ways to get and set the time stamp but it's not something i'd really want to look into doing.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support