Old 12th October 2002, 07:21   #1
idynkydnk

I need help. My USB ports don't work.

I got a digital camera so I need the USB ports to tranfer the pictures. My computer is pretty new so this is the first time I'm using them. I got everything set up, but the images won't load. An error comes up saying to make sure that it is connected. Now, when I plug the USB wire into the USB port and the camera, the camera turns on(powered by the USB). So then I thought maybe it's the camera. so I put a USB mouse into the thing and restarted. Everything started fine, but the mouse didn't work. Shouldn't there have been an error if it couldn't find the mouse? I also tried with another camera so it's not the camera.

My motherboard has the USB ports built into them.
It's an AMD Athlon 2000
idynkydnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2002, 07:30   #2
sgtfuzzbubble011

I don't think I can help, but I have a problem with my USB, too. Well, I'm not sure if it's the ports, or if it's my drive... I've got an external USB cd-rw drive that I bought a while back. It works fine when I get it going, but here's the thing: I have to wait until my computer's already booted before I can turn the cd-rw drive on. If I turn on the drive at the same time as my computer (I've got everything hooked up through a switchbox), then Windows won't recognize the drive. After Windows boots, I can just turn it off, and then turn it back on, and everything works fine... It's been like that ever since I got it. What'sup with dat?
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2002, 07:33   #3
Oni-Dracula

bad usb controller?

or

open up the case and see if the cord running to the usb ports is properly plugged into the motherboard. If its not plugged in at all, contact your manufacturer.
Oni-Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2002, 08:10   #4
KingAsh

Just a thought, but if you are plugging into USB 2.0 ports and you haven't installed specific drivers for your OS, that would make with this problem. For example, if your motherboard is a Asus A7V333, you need to go fetch their drivers for USB 2.0 off the website...
KingAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2002, 16:52   #5
idynkydnk

Quote:
Originally posted by KingAsh
Just a thought, but if you are plugging into USB 2.0 ports and you haven't installed specific drivers for your OS, that would make with this problem. For example, if your motherboard is a Asus A7V333, you need to go fetch their drivers for USB 2.0 off the website...
They are USB 2.0 ports. In the motherboard manual, it said windows XP should automatically pick them up.
Old 12th October 2002, 17:24   #6
idynkydnk

I need my USB ports to workpo324j4poihi4hi4h5
Old 12th October 2002, 17:30   #7
zootm
Forum King

did you use the same cable for both of them? i've seen things like that happen because of the cable. try installing XP service pack 1, and if that doesn't help, find the win2k drivers for the USB ports and see if you can install them...

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2002, 18:08   #8
idynkydnk

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
did you use the same cable for both of them? i've seen things like that happen because of the cable. try installing XP service pack 1, and if that doesn't help, find the win2k drivers for the USB ports and see if you can install them...
different cables
I have service pack 1

I think it would be something to do with the actual USB ports, not the software. I don't know though.
Old 12th October 2002, 18:12   #9
liquidmotion
Smokes Two Joints
Beta Team

Send a message via ICQ to liquidmotion
i thought it might be windows 95, but you obviously aren't running that...hmmm

For a good time: shup | stashbox | my homepage
liquidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2002, 18:16   #10
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

I had a motherboard once where the default setting for the USB ports was "off" - have you checked in the BIOS just on the off chance they're not disabled?
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2002, 18:34   #11
idynkydnk

Quote:
Originally posted by c2R
I had a motherboard once where the default setting for the USB ports was "off" - have you checked in the BIOS just on the off chance they're not disabled?
really?

I hope you're right! I'll be right back
Old 12th October 2002, 22:22   #12
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

windows xp is supposedly camera friendly

get some driver updates.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2002, 00:15   #13
eleet-2k2
Forum King

If the problem is not hardware related (ie, all the cablesare wher ethey are supposed to be and everthing is connected with power fine-and-dandy) then try grabbing and installing some driver updates. If that doesnt work, or your drivers are up to date, then run Windows Add New hardware utility to see if it picks them up.

The mouse is made for USB 1.1 ports, and USB 2.0 ports are 1.1 friendly, and if the 1.1 compatability isnt working, it means that the computer doesnt have the drivers (or they are corrupted/FUBARed) or if they are installed properly, it has to be the computer cant communicate with the ports which could indicate faulty ports, bad cables, etc...

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2002, 03:27   #14
idynkydnk

Quote:
Originally posted by c2R
It worked. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 13th October 2002, 04:14   #15
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by idynkydnk
It worked. Thanks a lot guys.
dammit! i was gonna say BIOS settings but i figured it'd been said already. c2R wins. shit.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions