Old 30th January 2003, 08:05   #1
Yakkum

Using winamp through a remote or front panel on my laptop

Okay, here's the situation... My Toshiba laptop has a little front panel on it with some play/pause, next, buttons on the face to allow the playing of media (cd's or mp3's) without having to have your computer open (or even on in the case of cd's). My laptop basically looks like this

and as you can see if you look closely, on the front below the keyboard/wrist area there is a little front panel player thing. There is also a remote which has the same functions as the front panel thing and some others as well.
Right now through toshiba's utilities I can choose which program I want to open to play music when I press play, but the only choices are the crappy Toshiba Media Player and Windows Media Player. Neither of those are what I want. I want to be able to open winamp and use it through these keys or remote. IS THIS POSSIBLE? Would it be difficult to accomplish? Would editting the registry be the only way? How can I add Winamp to the list of programs in the toshiba utilities area that I can choose from?
If this is in the wrong forum I'm sorry. I put it here cuz I'm using Winamp2.8

I'm running Windows XP home edition on a toshiba laptop like I said and I want to use Winamp with these little front buttons. Is it possible? If anyone knows how to set it up so I can use Winamp with these buttons please let me know and I will be forever in your debt. Thanks.
Yakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2003, 08:27   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

You'll need to mess around with the included software. If it doesnt allow much configuration, it may require some registry hacking to get it to work.

Which model is it? I did a quick check on google but was unable to find much relevant info, but with the model number i may be able to.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2003, 14:24   #3
JonnyMac

Try this
http://classic.winamp.com/plugins/de...onentId=110332

If that does not work for you go to plug-ins and try a search with key words like keyboard buttons multimedia

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2003, 17:40   #4
Yakkum

OMG! JonnyMac, you are my saviour. That is exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much, I can't believe I couldn't find that earlier. Thanks. That was a really good find.

My model is a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S501 and this plug in seems to be exactly what I need. I am just about to try it out. Thanks so much again JonnyMac.
Old 30th January 2003, 17:51   #5
Yakkum

Okay, I just tried it and it does everything it is supposed to I guess but it doesn't open Winamp when I press play. Instead it still opens the Toshiba Media Player. I'm going to do a little bit more searching and stuff to see if I can find something that will work but thanks a lot.
Old 30th January 2003, 17:53   #6
Yakkum

Also the remote still doesn't work. I guess I'm still outta luck in some aspects but at least now these buttons do some good.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support