Old 16th April 2003, 17:21   #1
Sirius23

how to copy files of a playlist

Hi all,

I have searched the forum first, but found nothing helpful. So I ask a question probably aked a thousand times before !

How (not neccesaryly with winamp!) can I easily copy my musicfiles, that are arranged in a playlist to another deice (e.g. a memory stick, another hd)

It seems as it is not possible with winamp. Who has another tool or trick to do this !?

To make it clear: I know what a playlist is ! I am just looking for a convenient way to transfer files arragned IN a playlilst to another device, so that I dont have to copy them pece by peace myself, because its a bit of work in a collection of 40 gigs ors so of mp3 music ;-)

I am shure there must be a solution as so many users must have the same need as I do, donT u all !? ;-))

thx for help

Sirius, Berlin Germany (<-- if aomeone should care) :-)
Sirius23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2003, 18:55   #2
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
it all depeneds on where you want to move them. if it is from your HD to a winamp playlist, ti is one way, if it if from winamp to a CD, its another, or HD to CD yet another, you are gonan ave to be more specific.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2003, 09:00   #3
Sirius23

Hmm, as I re-read my posting I am think that I have been specific, but I will try again:

I want to move files from HD to a memorystick (another mp3-player device) or a flash card in my flash card reader (because the flascard goes into my harware-mp3-player)

Possible or not !?

thx again

Sirius

excuse my attitude, I havent slept well tonight ;-)
Old 17th April 2003, 09:43   #4
EnDurA
Major Dude

well, if it reads whatever the playlist file extention is, m3u or sump, then just copy that to whatever, if it can't, i don no
EnDurA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2003, 09:55   #5
Sirius23

Huh !? Doesnt anybody understand what I mean !?

Copying a playlist is not my problem !

I want to copy the musicfiles automatically (!!!!!!) with it, so that I dont have to transfer the mp3-files seperately !!!

Get it !?

Why doesnt anybody read carefully !?

Sirius
Old 17th April 2003, 10:05   #6
EnDurA
Major Dude

so like copy your mp3 directory???
Old 17th April 2003, 10:42   #7
Sirius23

kind of....

more like copying 50 tracks from 20 different directorys !

Sirius
Old 17th April 2003, 10:45   #8
EnDurA
Major Dude

o ok, well, just select all o them from each directory and copy paste like that, just that u gonna ave to do it 20 times
Old 17th April 2003, 11:06   #9
Sirius23

Thanks for trying to help but:

First: I am noth THAT stupid !
Second: read a posting carefully before u reply !
Third: Your answer is no answer to my question

Sirius
Old 17th April 2003, 14:25   #10
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Send a message via AIM to MetallichicA
I don't know anything about flash sticks etc.... but let me see if I understand what you're getting at....

You've got a playlist that contains songs from many different folders.
You can't, therefore, just move ONE folder over.
You want to move JUST the songs from this one playlist over to another media, without having to choose each one individually.

Is that what you mean?
MetallichicA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2003, 14:37   #11
J_Bloggs
Major Dude

Eeh, lazy. Do it the manual way. If your files have strange names then open up the playlist file in a text editer (depending on the type but it should work) and look in there for the filenames. By the time you find a 'quick and easy' solution and figure it out, you could've done it the manual way seven times over.

If you put windows explorer in detailed mode, and sort the folder by name, then it should be very easy to see the files your looking for once you know what they are.

¯¯¯¯Joe Bloggs____
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
J_Bloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2003, 11:50   #12
Sirius23

@MetallichicA: You got it right there ! Thank u u are the first who digs this right ;-))

@J_Bloggs: U got me right as well. (Specially the lazy part of it) ;-))

The prob is that my destination is only 256 MB of size and therefore I want to transfer lots of different settings a lot of times.
e.g. mix 1 for running, mix 2 for easylistening in the bath tub mix 3 for chillin in the sun with my popsicle ... ;-)

So any suggestions 4 a lazy 1 !?
Old 22nd April 2003, 12:04   #13
anubis2003
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to anubis2003
the program you use to actually transfer the files may support playlists. If it does it should be able to do it for you. If not, I don't know.
anubis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2003, 13:40   #14
Sirius23

I dont use any program yet ! Any suggestions !?
Winamp doesnt transfer files, or does it !?
Old 23rd April 2003, 00:33   #15
J_Bloggs
Major Dude

Not without a plug-in of some kind, winamp is a music player not music managment system.

I myself do things 'the hard way', but you could try here for something:
http://www.nonags.com/nonags/mp3man.html

I can't really be bothered looking for anything else.

What type of playlist do you use? .pls, .m3u, etc.

¯¯¯¯Joe Bloggs____
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
J_Bloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2003, 19:47   #16
nightmage82

Send a message via ICQ to nightmage82
hey sirius i know exactly what you are talking about except that im looking for exactly such software myself. i may end up having to write it myself but i hope i wont have to, im sure we're not the only people in this situation.

i have about 7000+ songs spread out over 10 directories and out of those i have 1300 that i want to keep and get the rest off my hard disk. i'd rather not have to go through the entire playlist of 1300 songs just to move them if it can be done another way.

paul
nightmage82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2003, 19:54   #17
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

Location: The box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street from Jerry's bait Shop. You know the place.
Send a message via Yahoo to jon_joy_1999
sounds like you two are in a bit of a bind. have you tried looking on download.com here or google and do a search for a program that does it. (and another thing, lazyness is a bad thing)

jon_joy_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2003, 21:22   #18
nightmage82

well i have yeah, thats why i came here just in case someone has heard of something like that :/
Old 24th April 2003, 21:30   #19
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

Location: The box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street from Jerry's bait Shop. You know the place.
ahhh well let me look in google and download.com sometimes programs are hidden away in areas that dont make sense. i'll post the pages I find
[edit]I'm assuming you want free things and you have a broadband internet connection running Windows 2000 or higher [/edit]

Old 24th April 2003, 21:52   #20
nightmage82

that would be an immense help jon joy, don't spend too much time on it though only if you have spare yeah? :P

yes i have broadband and am running xp.

paul
Old 25th April 2003, 08:36   #21
Sirius23

Wow that sound promissing ;-) I appreciate your help ! Thank you !

Isnt it amazing, that we seem to be the only people with this special need ?
Well whatever ... we'll see and if we have to write it ourselves we will be very rich soon ;-)) or at least famous hehe
Old 25th April 2003, 18:05   #22
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

i couldn't sift through all the Google hits I got (there were several hundred and this crap win98 machine kept crashing) I did an advanced search using all words "copy playlist files" and with the exact phrase "External device" and with the OR "MP3 music"

if that makes any sense. let me try to sort it for you if it doesn't
I did an advanced search using the words "copy playlist files" in the 'All Words' box and I used "external device" in the 'Exact Phrase' box and I used "MP3 Music" in the 'Any Word' box

phew. hard for me to understand my own writing

Old 25th April 2003, 20:34   #23
CD999

Winamp doesn't have the capability to copy files to another device; if it did I would be using it to transfer my MP3s to my minidisc player. Either use the software that came with your device, or find another alternative that works with it that you like.
CD999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2003, 20:44   #24
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

{ahem} CD999 I believe he knows that. you have already stated the obvious. I personally think that someone should program something like that. either a winamp plugin or a standalone program.
that's my $.02

Old 25th April 2003, 20:48   #25
CD999

Yes, I noticed that he knew. There also aren't any plugins to do it though, so I think he will need to look elsewhere. The closest I have gotten is getting my minidisc player's file manager to recognize a winamp playlist and import all the files on it for easy send to the MD, but otherwise, I really don't think that there is a way.
CD999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2003, 20:53   #26
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

maybe one solution would be to get a program that moves all files in a list (playlist, ascii list, etc., etc.) and move them to a folder that you specify (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\Deh Cheezman\My Music\Files to movez0r) and then you can move all the files from there into the external device (in case you need a special program that'll move the files to the external device)

Old 25th April 2003, 23:15   #27
nightmage82

i can't believe no one has needed something like this before! heh, here's the deal i have exams coming up on monday but they finish after about 3 weeks, since im a computing student i can sit down and try to write a piece of software for this. i've never done extensive file operations like this before but im sure it wont be _too_ hard. i can promise that it won't have a nice graphical user interface but it should do the job. hopefully someone can come up with something better before then, otherwise just wait a month or so...

paul
Old 28th April 2003, 08:29   #28
Sirius23

Hey guys ! This IS becoming a HOT-topic, ist't it !? ;-)

I haven't had time for the last couple of days to do some research on the topic, but I certainly will do so soon.
Actually I am convinced, that there will be some, at least semi-pro freeware tool, that already does what we want. The only question is: Where is the damn thing ;-))

So long
Old 28th April 2003, 15:58   #29
eleet-2k2
Forum King

This should be exactly what you want, and it's a plugin that integrates quite nicely with Winamp 2.

http://bcheck.arsware.org/#gen_yar

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2003, 18:21   #30
Sirius23

YES!! YES !! :-) Thats it ! No further reseach needed !

Thank you Thank you Thank you !

Note to all others: This plugin is for Winamp2 only not Winamp 3 !

Another hint for everybody, even if you dont want to copy files to a foreign device:

1. Create a playlist, that you want to burn.
2. Copy the playlist and the files with this news plugin to a tem-folder on you dektop.
3. Burn the files on a cd
4. Delete the temp folder again.

Easy huh !? No more searching for the best files in you mp3-lib, just because a friend wants to have a cool music cd from you ;-)

This plugin is really a big help !

Thanx again 31337-2k2 (weird name btw.)

btw: I use winamp2 but do you know if there is a plugin for 3, too !?
Old 28th April 2003, 19:10   #31
nightmage82

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirius23
Another hint for everybody, even if you dont want to copy files to a foreign device:

1. Create a playlist, that you want to burn.
2. Copy the playlist and the files with this news plugin to a tem-folder on you dektop.
3. Burn the files on a cd
4. Delete the temp folder again.

Easy huh !? No more searching for the best files in you mp3-lib, just because a friend wants to have a cool music cd from you ;-)

yes quite, a million thanks 31337-2k2, that will be of immense use to me. but with regard to your comment sirius, for burning cds i always created a playlist then selected output to diskwriter instead of whatever the default is... then it copys the music as wavs into the folder you specify rather than playing them.

anyway, gonna try this plugin out, thanks again!

paul
Old 28th April 2003, 19:26   #32
Sirius23

yeah !? whatever !

I say: a solution is a solution is a solution ! ;-)

And this one is very good !
Old 29th April 2003, 10:03   #33
nightmage82

cool, it took me a few mins to find the copy action so in case someone is having trouble i'll just post a quick how to:

download the dll from that web page, it should be called something like gen_yar.dll, copy it or save it directly to your c:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins directory. close winamp and open it again, open the playlist you want to copy and click the button in the topmost left hand corner of winamp, the option to copy should be just above the exit command on the list that pops up.

goodluck, and thanks again to the guy who provided the link!

paul
Old 29th April 2003, 19:32   #34
jon_joy_1999
Major Dude

glad that you two got what you asked for and that it interfaces nicely with Winamp.

Old 29th April 2003, 23:16   #35
eleet-2k2
Forum King

Glad to help you guys, I came across it about 2 days back myself.

Chalk one up for me!

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions