Old 9th March 2005, 20:08   #1
bubuzaza

Winamp won't create CDA file association

Hello, yes indeed I did searches and amazingly I could not find any posts specific to my simple problem.

Problem: When I look up file types in Winamp (I have 5.05), oddly CDA is not in there, while all others are. I have attempted to associate CDA with Winamp in all possible places in Windows (XP Home), but Winamp will not show the CDA file type.

It is not a problem of another app having the CDA association either, I have made sure that is not the case. I have of course also tried rebooting after making changes, to no avail. Is this a Winamp bug? I recall that prior versions DID play audio CDs without a problem.

Can anyone help? Thanks, AP
bubuzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 20:19   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

.cda isn't a file type, it's a shortcut to the tracks on an audio cd.

Check Launch Winamp for Audio CDs.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 20:49   #3
bubuzaza

Hi gaekwad2,

Launch Winamp for Audio CDs was already checked, I definitely would not have posted this question if I hadn't ruled that out first. The problem is deeper than that, whatever it is. Got any other suggestions?

Also I realize that CDA is not a file type per se, yet when I looked at Winamp help texts, those say plainly that CDA should be right there among the others (MPEG, WAV, OGG etc) in the file types list. So, what is happening appears to me to be a glitch in Winamp as I have already tried to set all obvious settings.
Old 9th March 2005, 21:13   #4
ujay
Forum King

CDA should be there whether 'Launch CD' is checked or not.

Can you still play a CD using Menu > Play > 'Audio CD' or Open Folder > CD Drive.

Try a clean install with the latest Winamp version. See the 'Stickies' at the top of this forum for details.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 01:18   #5
bubuzaza

Hi ujay, interesting questions. I don't see anything marked "Menu" nor do I see anything marked "Open Folder". All there is available is what's there under File, Play, Options, View and Help (and File, View and Help on the Media Library). When I try to do File > Play File and point it to the D drive in question containing an audio CD, it just basically blanks out and doesn't see anything there.

I was hoping not to have to uninstall and reinstall but it may come to that.

thanks
Old 10th March 2005, 01:40   #6
ujay
Forum King

My familiarity getting in the way

The menu can be found by left clicking the 'button' in the top left hand corner of the main screen, in the default classic skin it looks like a laid back figure 8.
Or right click any 'dead space' on the window.
Or press <Alt+F>

To open(load) a folder use <Shift+click> on the Open File(s) button.
Or right click the Open File(s) button and select from there.

One last thought. Can you look in your main Winamp folder (usually C:/Program files/Winamp), open the Plugins folder and check that the file 'in_cdda.dll' is present.

[edit] Change to the Winamp Classic skin or this may not tally exactly with what you are using now [/edit]

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 02:59   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

If CDA isn't in the File Types list in Prefs, then this definitely suggests that in_cdda.dll is not present, possibly as a result of unchecking "CD Playback and Extraction" in the installer options

This would also explain why "Play > Audio CD" isn't in the main Winamp menu.
Though the only other known thing which can cause that to happen is if the 3rd-party CDReader plugin is installed (in_cdreader.dll), though CDA should still be listed under File Types (if not twice).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 05:30   #8
bubuzaza

Thanks guys, now we're geting somewhere. The file in_cdda.dll is definitely missing, so that sounds like the problem. The only question now is, is it a simple matter of loading that file in? I'm off to try to find it...
Old 10th March 2005, 05:35   #9
bubuzaza

Well I just read all about the "in_cdda.dll buffer overflow vulnerability problem" and how the update to 5.07 fixed it, so thank you all... I see I really have to update, which I plan to do right now.

cheers
bubuzaza
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support