Old 17th September 2007, 15:21   #1
offi

how to play mp3 in 48000 kHz

what have to do to play winamp mp3 in 48000 kHz??
offi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 15:57   #2
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Record the MP3 file at 48kHz to begin with...

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 16:00   #3
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Lolz, Captain Obvious to the rescue
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 16:05   #4
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Plus its 48kHz, ie 48000Hz, not 48000kHz isn't it?

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 16:54   #5
sgtfuzzbubble011

48khz = 24khz for both left and right channels, right? If so, why would you want to encode that high anyways? Nothing outside of professional studio audio equipment can reproduce frequencies that high. And even then, the human ear can't perceive sound in that range. Personally, I wouldn't waste the data bits on it.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 17:26   #6
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
48khz = 24khz for both left and right channels, right? If so, why would you want to encode that high anyways? Nothing outside of professional studio audio equipment can reproduce frequencies that high. And even then, the human ear can't perceive sound in that range. Personally, I wouldn't waste the data bits on it.
Not to mention that normal audio CDs don't record their audio at 48 KHz, but at 44.1 KHz. Would be pointless to up-sample the CD audio.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 18:31   #7
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
No the sample rate is per channel not total. Anyway, the usual benefit for higher sample rates is better reproduction of lower frequencies.

I might not waste the bits on it either but if I get an audio file, I wouldn't resample it with an execption for hardware compatability.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 19:18   #8
MonKeyRum
Major Dude

How many year old users with just a couple posts remember their username and password?

Definitely an A for effort on that front!

Suburbia: The place where they clear down trees and then name roads after them
MonKeyRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 09:55   #9
ulillillia

Are you sure it's 48,000 KHz (or 48 MHz)? That's sound quality so high that you'll only get about 4 seconds' worth of music on it (uncompressed). I think you mean 48 KHz which is 48,000 Hz. In that case, it should play on most any player (provided the converter encoded it to MP3 properly) since 48 KHz is a standard sample rate (used with DVD's I think). If this is from a CD, there's no sense in using 48 KHz for 3 reasons: upsampling is mainly just deteriorates the quality (slightly), it wastes disk space that could be used for more songs, and beyond 40,000 Hz sample rate is beyond the frequencies of human hearing. If you insist on using 48 KHz, you'll probably want at least a 144 Kbps CBR (or 96 Kbps for ABR) for MP3, given my formula.

Some cheap speakers can go beyond 20,000 Hz pitch. One of my old sets seemed to support up to 50,000 Hz pitch (the tweeter) where, beyond that, it started to sound very weird and distorted.

There are uses for very high sample rates though. When editting the tune in a WAV edittor like Audacity, there isn't as much loss due to rounding errors (one reason why 32-bit floating-point is used).

Edit: As a side note, for 48,000 KHz, you'd need a 144,000 Kbps bit rate (to get about CD quality) for MP3 which is still so high, you couldn't get 45 seconds on it. You'd be lucky to get 2 songs on a DVD-MP3 CD though.

void BlueWater() {water.color=blue; while(GameRunning) {if (fox.pos == InBlueWater) {fox.air--; FoxDrown(fox.air);} else {fox.air=1800; fox.flags = WantsToGetWet; } WaitFrames(1); }} // My top favorite thing in 2D Sonic (as C)
ulillillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 11:58   #10
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

I guess he meant 48000 Hz.

Vie's answer is the best.
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions