Old 7th October 2007, 10:35   #1
glop

hi abu

concerning the new ipod..so many thanks
about iphone and...ipod Touch (my favorite!) when you say it will be never done...is this a definitive decision or eventually if we collect money to buy to you a model, you will work on it ?
glop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 13:32   #2
DrO

the lack of them working as normal disk devices near enough makes it impossible for anyone to access them (including ml_ipod) so i can't really see how having the device would help unless some other groups are able to come up with a means to access them in someway but then it'd depend on what sort of library/code is made available elsewhere to facilitate such things and if they can be integrated into the ml_ipod codebase.

so would be best thought of as never going to happen for support of those two devices from how i see it

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 20:29   #3
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by glop
about iphone and...ipod Touch (my favorite!) when you say it will be never done...is this a definitive decision or eventually if we collect money to buy to you a model, you will work on it ?
Well, I'll appreciate the money but as long as we don't have disk mode, it won't help

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 00:38   #4
thaimonkey

Send a message via AIM to thaimonkey Send a message via Yahoo to thaimonkey
Thank you for the summary.

I have an iPhone and a question about it. I've been having a hard time following everything, as there are so many new versions of new iPods and how they each work differently. I have a proposed solution for the iPhone firmware v1.0.2. Keep in mind that I don't know beans about how the current plugin works and would any discussion on the subject, regardless of the plausibility of my idea.

If you have jailbrake'd and installed the BSD Environment along with OpenSSH, an FTP server runs from the iPhone with full directory access (incredibly easy to do with installer.app.) You can see the files and transfer very easily. If this were used by a plugin, not only would Winamp be able to sync music, but it could sync wirelessly giving it a huge 1up on iTunes. Also, it would work with x64 versions of Windows, which is the biggest problem for me right now. This seems like the disk mode workaround.

I know this isn't an option that makes Winamp work with everyone's iPods, but it would be hugely effective for quite a number of iPhone users (estimated 10% of iPhones had been hacked to run 3rd party apps before 1.1.1 came out.) It may have to run in addition to the current ml_ipod as it needs an IP address with login and password access.

Thoughts?
thaimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 10:00   #5
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Sounds like a nice idea, even though I don't fully understand the implications right now. But, at the very least, I need an iPhone to go into that direction. Is there any possibility to get an unlocked iPhone? eBay USA, I guess. They are around 500$, which is too much (the new ones are sold for 399.- now). Any other idea? Why are eBay offers so damn expensive???

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 9th October 2007, 13:16   #6
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Just out of curiosity, would supporting the iPhone automatically support iPod touch as well?

Windows 7 Beta
iPod touch (Second Generation), 8GB
Winamp 5.55 with ml_iPod 3.08
fatcerberus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 13:39   #7
thaimonkey

Quote:
Sounds like a nice idea, even though I don't fully understand the implications right now. But, at the very least, I need an iPhone to go into that direction. Is there any possibility to get an unlocked iPhone? eBay USA, I guess. They are around 500$, which is too much (the new ones are sold for 399.- now). Any other idea? Why are eBay offers so damn expensive???
You probably do need an iPhone, I'm not disagreeing with that. But, is it possible that since it runs just an ordinary FTP server with root access, you could replicate the directory structure on any computer and have it sync in the same way? It would not really be specific to the iPhone, just it's directory structure. I think it might be worth a shot to try. (Granted it's not my time.) As for purchasing, the best way is still probably to get them at the Apple Store... unless you're not from America? I don't know why the heck they are so expensive on eBay. I just looked. Part of the problem is that I think only the Apple Store and AT&T are authorized resellers in the US. If you do find one, it would help (as of right now) to be 1.0.2 firmware. The new one is probably 85% hacked though.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, would supporting the iPhone automatically support iPod touch as well?
No. The iPhone is currently the only one of the two to be fully hacked. The iPod Touch has firmware 1.1.1, which is just now being hacked on the iPhone (see TUAW.com for that). The touch has differences that may be a while in coming. However, it is very likely that once it is hacked and can run the OpenSSH that it would be able to sync in exactly the same way as the iPhone.
Old 9th October 2007, 15:28   #8
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Well, we had similar issues when I started to support the Motorola smart phones, and the new shuffle, and the new nano... The directory structure is one thing, but Apple changes little bits from device to device in the internal file structures. I will definitely not try again to support a device that I don't have myself. In the end, I had to buy one of each of these devices, it just didn't work out without.

I'm not from the USA, but a friend will come and visit me from the States in November. So she could get one for me. I just don't know whether it would be better to get a 1.0.2 FW at eBay for 500 bucks (probably it's at this high price because they sell it hacked and unlocked already), or a cheaper new one, where I don't know whether it'll be hacked until I receive it...??? If I order one at all, I'd like to use it as a phone, too. So I need it SIM lock free, otherwise it won't work here in Germany with my carrier O2.

If I had one, I'd certainly go that trail with the ftp server. That sounds like fun...

Old 9th October 2007, 17:21   #9
thaimonkey

As of right now, I would probably recommending your friend picking one up. Everything is flying right now with the hacking of the new firmware, so if you wait another month, it will almost surely be completely open again. The only problem would be Apple patching over it again.

Until then, the option as I see it are: find someone else with access to an iPhone who knows enough about ml_ipod that could try it or program my router to send FTP requests to my iPhone so you could log into it as your own and try out your code. I'd be up for that if we set up a time. I realized that's a far fetched possibility. PM me if you're up for it. It wouldn't just be a wireless sync, it would be a cross-continent sync. Woo-hoo.
Old 9th October 2007, 17:51   #10
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by thaimonkey
As of right now, I would probably recommending your friend picking one up.
One with FW 1.1.1? Or an eBay one with 1.02?

Old 9th October 2007, 18:04   #11
thaimonkey

By the time November roles around, it won't matter. Whichever is cheaper. I think there are working downgraders as of now. Just have her pick up whatever they have at the Apple store. Like I said before, tuaw.com/category/hacks/ is a great place to find out the latest with iPhone development as one of their bloggers actually is involved in the hacking process (Erica Sadun). Also, modmyiphone.com has a great summary of the current news with many guides which you might need starting out - including the downgrader one. Just going there now I see they have a new article saying they have root access to the iPod Touch as well as the iPhone 1.1.1.

Summary: you'll be fine getting whatever is cheapest.
Old 9th October 2007, 20:52   #12
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Well, surfing around a bit showed me: A downgrade is possible, but no SIM unlock after that. So I'm a bit worried if I oorder a new iPhone now with 1.1.1 I might be trapped. All the forum posts say "DON'T USE 1.1.1", and who knows if/when 1.1.1 will be as open as 1.0.2 is right now?
When I get the phone, I'd like to start with it right away. So it's simply a matter of trust in the future - will the hack be available soon or will it not...
I'm almost willing to spend more than 100$ over the Apple store price just to get an already unlocked phone (the unlocking explanations sound a bit scary ), but then again, it's 100 bucks Don't know yet. Guess I'll wait one more week, then I'll have to decide (shipping delays etc.)

Old 9th October 2007, 21:04   #13
thaimonkey

Being trapped with a 1.1.1 is a risk. If you are willing to spend $100 extra, you can have the assurance that what you get will work. Waiting is probably the best bet.

What I do know is that the iPhone is the greatest gadget I've ever owned and great everything device. You'll enjoy it no matter what you pay.
Old 10th October 2007, 06:19   #14
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

One drawback: I read that with the unlocked iPhones, and non AT&T SIM, the caller ID display does not work So you don't see who is calling... That's like in the old days of non-didital phones with cords

Old 10th October 2007, 13:14   #15
thaimonkey

There are a couple more drawbacks. Visual Voicemail - one of the best features of the phone - doesn't work. Youtube can be hit or miss. I think they have it working better now, but I'm not sure. However, if you live in Germany, like your minibio states, I believe T-Mobile will be official Nov. 9. You would get all the same working functionality as AT&T in the USA.
Old 10th October 2007, 13:50   #16
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Yes, but I'm O2 customer already, and I don't want to change that, just for the iPhone

Old 11th October 2007, 13:09   #17
Stupifier
Major Dude

Is this new info for you guys:

iPod Touch/iPhone 1.1.1 firmware Jailbroken.

http://www.ipodwizard.net/showthread...075#post339075
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 13:23   #18
thaimonkey

Even newer than that: iPhoneSIMFree has released a new version that can unlock and unbrick any iPhone that had previously been unlocked. Now basically all people have to do is port their apps over to make sure they work. Also rumored: 1.1.2 is loose in Appleland.
Old 11th October 2007, 13:38   #19
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Reading the blogs, I don't really understand the stuff with the baseband modem FW... I still have no idea whether an 1.1.1 iPhone can be used in Germany with O2 if that jailbreak finally works. Anybody?

Old 11th October 2007, 14:19   #20
thaimonkey

iPhone 1.1.1 updated the modem firmware from 03.14.08_G (in 1.0.2) to 04.02.04_G. Most unlocking methods involve patching over the modem firmware. For some reason this is often a permanent change (depending on the unlocking software used, I think). Also, it doesn't appear that modem firmware can be downgrade, and the older 03.14.08_G firmware is not compatible with the new 1.1.1. This presented the problem. Apparently they have found a way to patch 04.02.04_G, with the permanent unlock intact.

As for working in Germany on O2, I have heard unlocked phones work with both O2 in England and Germany.
Old 11th October 2007, 15:09   #21
glop

anyfirmware is cracked to use without the original operator
in France, you can unsimlock to use for bouygues, SFR, Orange....

in Germany it's the same

read it
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
sorry it's google translate
Old 11th October 2007, 21:11   #22
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

I'm confused. I read about iPhoneSimFree.com, they sell a SIM unlocker for 60$. I thought that the unlocking would be available for free???

Old 11th October 2007, 22:15   #23
glop

yeah you could i manually

here are the method

http://www.freeiphoneunlock.com/guide/
http://iphone.unlock.no/#Step2-unlock
http://macapper.com/2007/09/11/download-iphone-unlock/
Old 12th October 2007, 21:57   #24
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Thanks, very helpful links!
Still, there is no SIM unlock for 1.1.1 FW, as far as I can see.

Old 14th October 2007, 08:27   #25
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

@thaimonkey: Do you have an iTunesDB in the file system? Where? Could you upload a zip of that folder for me?

@glop: What is iPhone Elite team? Are there two dev team?

Old 14th October 2007, 20:12   #26
glop

hi

yes you can unlock with the new firmware (read the links)
"UPDATE: IphoneSimFree.com have now released a paid unlock-solution that will let you unlock ALL iPhones, including v1.1.1. "

yes two dev team
a free
and those who ask money (but the software is really cool...maybe they will open it and pass it to free (risk of others solutions without them..so they are afraid people don't go no more on theire website)

to Downgrade FW (and to easyly unlock it )
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/29/i...ions-released/)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion