Old 6th January 2014, 14:44   #1
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Using cue files

Stupid question/advice time.... How many of you use cue files? And who understands them?

I am messing around with cue files for the first time. Mainly because someone handed me a few FLAC files with cue sheets.

I've got the Cue Player plugin to work in winamp thanks to this thread
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=256908

Now some stupid noobie questions based on the files my mate handed me.

I can see the point of a cue file when one single FLAC file has been created per CD. The cue file splits the tracks allows Winamp to split the file up and name each track in the playlist.

1\ Is there any way to get Winamp to split the file up and show the tracks separately in the Media Library?

I had assumed ticking "Enable Media Library Support" and "Unpack Cue Files When Added" would do this, but that just seems to give me a File Info page. No use for Search.

2\ I assume cue files only make sense with large Media Files which need splitting up. I can't see why my daft mate has left them in folders full of MP3 files. Once something like MP3SPLT has been run on the original file then the cue file has done its job and is no longer needed. Or am I missing something?

I ask the second question as Winamp has gone and added every single cue file it has found in my music collection - but most of these seem to be in folders with loose files. Unless there is any sensible reason to keep hold of them, I assume I can just delete these files? (Or rename them to .txt)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 23:00   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I know a little something about this...

some audiophiles out there like to make ISO or single file wavs out of whole CDs. they then use cue sheets (which are just text files) to keep the metadata and to mark the timepoints for the tracks. they like the pure gaplessness of this approach, as well as being able to be "bitsure" of the copy/clone.

the cuesheet can be read natively by certain apps, like squeezebox server.

the cuesheet can also be used to properly split a single file into multiple tracks as per the times marked in the cuesheet. "cuetools" is the indispensable utility for dealing with this!!!

also, I have in the past made custom CDs via audacity, a multitrack wav editor. I would import my songs, overlap them just a bit, and mix the whole thing down to a single wav file. I then custom wrote my own cuesheet and used EAC to make the CDs with the proper track markers (and CD text) on the CDs. (I forget if I had an ISO step in there or not...)

as far as winamp goes, I do not use a cue plugin. I simply physically breakup such CD long single files into multiple track files. the orig single file can be FLAC or whatever as well, not just wav.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 07:41   #3
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Single WAV is possible for audio CD, but not ISO! As ISO can only contain data tracks, normally with ISO9660 or Joliet/UDF file system, but not at all audio tracks (different sector layout). Some Audio extractors write .bin files though but which are no ISO files.

(Just for clarification...)
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 11:33   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

yeah, I no doubt have it confused, thx for the tip.

but, isn't there a way to make ISO copies of audio CDs, and / or burn ISOs into audio CDs? is it just totally impossible due to the sector layout, or can't that be translated?

I know some guys who like to make ISO clones out of DVDs and BluRays, so its possible with movies, right? I just can't shake the feeling I have in the past turned an ISO into an audio CD, but maybe it included more steps or more likely, I just have it all confused up in the ole noggin.

--
Old 8th January 2014, 12:57   #5
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
I think you confused it. ISO is always for data tracks, never for audio tracks.

And on DVDs and Blu-rays things are totally different as there are no physical "Tracks" as of CD, with TOC (table of contents) as it was designed for the normal audio CD, but instead there is just one "data track" (if you would want to call it that way, but it is NOT equivalent to a data CD containing one track with data, but which is referenced in the TOC as "Track 1". As there is no TOC on DVDs and Blu-rays.) And this data track contains a normal file system usually in UDF nowadays (and mandatory for Blu-rays) so you can write it to an ISO file without problems.

You must consider the fact that a physical CD sector contains 2352 bytes of which all are used for Audio tracks (Error protection data etc.). ISO file systems only use 2048 bytes of payload data and in the .iso file, also only those 2048 are stored. (simplified...) So the ISO file contains only the payload.

A 2352-Byte-Sector binary image of a CD is needed for audio tracks, and this can be done with several tools that create .BIN and .CUE files, but it is not compatible with the ISO file format.

I hope I could clarify it a bit
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 20:42   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Sinatra I can read the manual and wiki pages, and already have learnt enough to make sense of cue files and write my own. That is all fairly trivial. I don't need to be told the obvious. All you've managed to do is drag this thread into unrelated territory with your ill-informed and guessed post full of errors.

Please read the questions I actually asked, and if you can't answer them, then please don't post.

I was looking for people who *knew* something about cue files. Who actually *use* cue files. This is why I had two specific questions about cue files.

Please take your unrelated discussion elsewhere. An ISO is a CD image and has zero to do with my question about cue files. I can't even see anything in my question about turning a cue file into a CD. I was talking about Winamp integration. And you have blabbered on about something else.

And no - I am not going to bother responding to you. Feel free to have your last word like you always do relying to everything line by line and destroying threads.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 03:30   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

I did answer your first question.

Your second question was nebulous at best.

in either case, I was just trying to help, but here is the final word: you are a dickhead!

--
Old 17th May 2016, 21:22   #8
degenerate

I know this is an old thread, but I did get the latest cue player working with winamp 5.666

1. download winamp 5.666 - first try with your existing winamp though
http://filehippo.com/download_winamp/comments/

2. download cue player CuePlayer057c.zip from this thread
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2288990/all

3. Extract the DLLs to your winamp plugin folder and restart

4. follow this direction to enable "resolve missing files"
http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=167

5. Now you can right click a CUE file and "open" or "open with" and browse for winamp.exe, and then winamp will play cue files. Obviously the cue file needs to be in same folder and have the same name as the full mp3 album.

Hope that helps anyone.
degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 00:21   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

does that allow for the separate tracks to show in the ML without physically breaking them up?

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support