Old 22nd January 2001, 14:43   #1
Fall

Send a message via ICQ to Fall
I saw a plugin a while back that allowed you to listen to UMX files, I dont know if its been taken off the site due to legal reason, but if anyone managed to grab it, could they drop me a line? I think the UT soundtrack kicks absolute ass!!

Thanking you
Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2001, 16:16   #2
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

http://www.winamp.com/customize/deta...ponentId=31129
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2001, 20:06   #3
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Well, when I found this thread, the plug-ins section was completely messed up (and I just checked and it still is right now). Neither browsing nor the search function worked, so I had to get that link from a previous thread.
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2001, 23:22   #4
Lingo

Send a message via ICQ to Lingo
A little knowledge from moi. Just ignore me if you want; I usually am ignored.

UMX files are actually Amiga-Style Tracker modules. Yeah, really! But they are PC-Power injected formats of the module variety. These are called XM, extended module, S3M, which are modules made by ScreamTracker, and IT, which are Impulse Tracker modules. All are very similar.

I think you'll find that most of the UMX files are actually IT modules. Here is my preferred way of getting UMX files to work with Winamp.

Surf to http://www.modplug.com, and get "Modplug Player". Not the web browser plugin, the standalone player itself.

Before you forum guys bitch about the sound quality of Modplug, I'll tell you to SHUT UP and listen. I KNOW it's crap. Okay??? I know what you guys are like. We are just using Modplug as a stepping stone.

The Modplug player plays all types of old and modern Modules alike.
It can also export modules to different formats.
Using Modplug, get it to open your preferred UMX (IT) file. Try Godown.umx; it's a good example and a cool tune!
Hit the play button. Enjoy the music for as long as you please.
Okay. Now we will Export the MOD to an IT file. Say if we made a new folder on the Desktop? Or in My Documents? So we can put your favourite Unreal tunes in? Do that if you like. Now click on the Export button on Modplug's console window and it will ask yu to give a file/folder name to save as. Save as GoDown.it. Close Modplug and open Winamp. Load in your new GoDown.it. Be amazed. Repeat for other UMXs.

Of course you could just rename all the UMX files you like to *.it, but Modplug gives you a quick preview, so you know what you are getting.

You will find, as a die-hard music-lover that Modplug doesn't cut the mustard for sound quality. Luckily for us, Modplug exports MODS as-is, I mean it doesn't alter your music, if you know what I mean.
Winamp is the best player for all music, including MODS. Sounds just exactly as if you were playing it on Impulse Tracker.

And BTW, I should know because I have been a MOD Music creator for years; first the Amiga then the PC. Great stuff. So there.

One more thing... you will ALSO find that the UMX plugin mentioned above is a modified version of the Nullsoft Module decoder. That proves my point about UMXs being MODules.

Interested? http://www.altavista.com, do a search for "Impulse Tracker", "MODules", "MODS", "Tracker mods", "Amiga mods", "Screamtracker" etc.

And you are DEFINATELY right about the UT music kicking ass. Most of the music is by a company called Straylight Productions (http://www.straylight-productions.com), who make a lot of game music. Check the file comments on the modules in Winamp (Press Alt+3) because sometimes the composers give info of themselves in the sample names.

Thanks for reading! Pleased to help a UT fan!

Shake, rattle and roll!!
Lingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2001, 01:17   #5
Fall

Send a message via ICQ to Fall
*tips hat to Lingo*
Is Lingo just a clever name?

Your information is priceless, I thank you.
I thought *.umx must have been something like a tracker file... I used to be crazy about mod's and mid's (yes, midis using WinGroove... do we all remember that? )

And I loved Axel_F.mod *beams*
We used to use Mod4Win.. .cracked of course for playing more than 3 minutes

I've recently upgraded to SoundBlaster Live! so I dont have to put up with cheap-ass software emulation... expensive on the cpu side, too.. but with a Duron 700 beneath the bonnet, I dont think it would touch it

Anyway, i'm rambling... and i'm at work...
Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2001, 07:22   #6
Lingo

Ahhh, no problem mate.
Axel_F.mod, LOL! Yes, I've got that on my Amiga! LOL!!
I have a Sound Blaster Live! 1024 too, and you're right; the MIDI hardware (SoundFonts) is extremely good. Hooked up to my Technics keyboard, the Live! produces some effects to die for!

Lingo is not really a clever name. It is actually a stupid name. The thing is, there are some things that I just "know" and like to talk about. I think I'm regarded as a sort of bouncer of the forums. Just popping in to see what's going on every now and then. School takes me off the foums... aww the shame.
But I like helping out, you know; just sharing my knowledge with the guys, and people who may find use of it.

Shake, rattle and roll!!
Old 23rd January 2001, 17:27   #7
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
I don't understand Lingo... I can't tell a difference in quality between the songs as umx or it when played in Winamp.

Have there been changes made in the module decoder since v 2.7 (which is what I'm still using)?
Flynnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2001, 20:41   #8
peter
ist death

UMX files simply contain IT / S3M files. You can 'covert' them with any good MOD ripper (or UnrealEd, heh). I usually open UMXes in ModPlug Tracker, then extract subsongs to separate S3M / IT files.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2001, 17:08   #9
Lingo

What I meant was that Modplug's way of playing MODs isn't as good as Winamps's way.

No difference between UMX/IT sound quality; just the players.

Shake, rattle and roll!!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions