Old 10th November 2017, 13:48   #1
CamelKnight

Stream plays at double speed

Now I've finally got my stream running, it sometimes plays at double speed. On my computer it works fine, but when I listen to the stream, it plays twice as fast. I don't know what causes this as it sometimes works as intended.
I read somewhere that rebooting might work so I've already rebooted my computer and the server several times but I can't seem to get rid of the problem permanently.

Most songs are in 320kbps. A playlist that does seem to work contains songs in 256kbps. Is that the reason why it's not working properly?
The stream is configured at 128kpbs. Is Shoutcast really unable to distinguish between bitrates?
CamelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 14:00   #2
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

What software you using to encode?

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2011 - People say I'm biased!

Online: Twitter - Facebook - RadioDJv2
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 14:56   #3
CamelKnight

I use some random freeware software. I've switched since some time, also to some random freeware software. Not the best out there I guess but it has always done it's job fine. Encoding on fairly high bitrates and without any hearable loss as far as I know.

Do you have any suggestions for good software? Preferably free, ofcourse And would it work if I re-encoded the music I already have with that software?
Old 10th November 2017, 15:03   #4
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

The only ones I know about are on this page https://djgarybaldy.co.uk/stand-alon...ding-software/

I quite like MB Recaster comes with 4 free encoders and seems stable in my tests

I've not noticed any stream playing fast with that POS

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2011 - People say I'm biased!

Online: Twitter - Facebook - RadioDJv2
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 15:16   #5
CamelKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Garybaldy View Post
The only ones I know about are on this page https://djgarybaldy.co.uk/stand-alon...ding-software/

I quite like MB Recaster comes with 4 free encoders and seems stable in my tests

I've not noticed any stream playing fast with that POS
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go check those out Hopefully this will solve my problem!
Old 10th November 2017, 17:32   #6
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

try audacity -- http://www.audacityteam.org/ - free. not necessarily a batch converter, but what it does is more.
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 22:00   #7
CamelKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSpinnerCee View Post
try audacity -- http://www.audacityteam.org/ - free. not necessarily a batch converter, but what it does is more.
Thanks for the suggestion I'll have a look at that too!

I managed to solve the problem by changing the bitrate to the files affected. They were all in 320kbps and apparently Winamp/Shoutcast can't handle that. I've changed it to 256kpbs and that seems to work. Logic dictates that it's because it's a multitide of the 128kbps stream I'm running (while 320 obviously isn't), but it might also be because elephants can't fly.

Whatever the reason may be, a multitude of the stream bitrate seems to solve the double speed problem
Old 16th January 2018, 07:46   #8
dopelabs
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dopelabs
shoutcast can handle 320k just fine. so can winamp. generally you can get the fast or garbled audio when switching between different bitrates, sample rates, or number of channels (mono/stereo). or when the source software cant keep up or doesnt broadcast at a constant bitrate either all the time or when starting up. i have also found some issues when disconnecting one source and having another source connect too quickly. it seems if there is a 1-3 second delay when that switch happens things stay pretty happy and stable.

unstable network conditions can also be a symptom of weird and unstable audio...

mp3/lame bitrates should be even numbers... 24,32,48,56,64,96,128,192,256,320 are the most commonly used bitrates.

many people use a broadcaster called BUTT.
SAM (windows) is another popular choice.

liquidsoap of you want custom workflows and behaviors, but is more for advanced users.

also im not sure if this bug still exists, but for years and years if you used encoder 1 on the winamp dnas dsp plugin you would have problems. instead using any other encoder other than 1 would provide stable usage.
dopelabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 17:40   #9
dwsowash

I had 'fast forward' troubles with some files that were 48hz.

44hz seem to work fine.
dwsowash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 16:24   #10
WowMachine

I use winamp with DSP v2.3.3(build 201).... any DSP after that one causes this issue.

Wow Machine Radio
Inspired by The Clifford Ball’s Ball Radio, Big Cypress’ Thin Air radio, and Magnaball’s The Bunny, WMR streams Phish-inspired Randomness, WMR is our huge collection of eclectic music, spoken word, and TV/movie quotes playing from a randomized playlist, played on ‘shuffle’ by Winamp v5.666.
WowMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 00:57   #11
jr2l

I joined just to thank the above poster. This was driving me crazy. Going to an older DSP worked. Go figure. Thanks!
jr2l is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support