Old 5th November 2010, 22:10   #1
wedelin

My rating is lost!

Hi!

All of a sudden i realize that all my ratings are gone! It's not that I have had a crash or anythihng like that, but when I open my Winamp library there are no ratings at all!
This could just make cry since I have spent hundreds of hours on rating my songs!
Please tell me ther is a way to get my rating back?

/Magnus
wedelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 00:57   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
probably not, esp without knowing more about what happened.

however, see my sig for instructions about writing ratings to the files tags. i never rated anything until this feature was implemented.

also, search the forums for backup tool, that also could have saved you.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 08:57   #3
wedelin

Clarification

What do you mean with "see my sig for instructions"? What is a sig?

Regards

/Magnus
Old 8th November 2010, 09:12   #4
DrO

sig is signature and he's trying to direct you to the 'wish #1' line in his signature.

if the database has become corrupted then there's not much you can do about your ratings. you'll be better off waiting for the next Winamp release where it's simpler to enable saving ratings into the files (without having to fiddle around with ini files). no eta on when it'll be released though hopefully sooner rather than later as it's already in a beta phase with 5.59 beta available (this version does not have the ui option to enable writing ratings to files).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 19:00   #5
wedelin

But how on earth could the database be corrupt all of a sudden? Don't you have some kind of explanation why this happened? The ability to rate tracks is hardly a new thing in Winamp!

/Magnus
Old 8th November 2010, 19:21   #6
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedelin View Post
The ability to rate tracks is hardly a new thing in Winamp!
But the database format isn't.

Just use the backup tool to make regular backups.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 21:07   #7
DrO

Quote:
But how on earth could the database be corrupt all of a sudden? Don't you have some kind of explanation why this happened?
no one knows what causes it as no one has been able to reproduce it in a consistent manner i.e. it happens randomly (though may have appeared from some of the unicode / speed optimisations made to the internal handling). so if it was known what causes it then i'm sure it would have been fixed but alas it isn't so there is the potential for it to happen - happened to me once but never happened again (though i've deleted my database many times due to testing things as i'm personally not fussed and what i need is already in my file tags).

unless you've moved files and the ml didn't catch the correct location of the new files.

either way, if you're that concerned about ratings then you need to wait for the next client release in-order to be able to easily save them.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 21:48   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
But how on earth could the database be corrupt all of a sudden? Don't you have some kind of explanation why this happened? The ability to rate tracks is hardly a new thing in Winamp!

/Magnus
idk why it happens, i suspect sometimes OS/hardware might cause it, meaning a slight miscommunication lets a small error enter in which causes a total failure. but thats just one possible answer.

when you rate tracks with winamp, save the rating to the tag, and use the backup tool. its much safer.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 07:08   #9
wedelin

Ok, thanks for your participation end engagement (even though it seems all my rating efforts are lost forever).

It's strange that even though I have had a fear that this might happen, I just hoped it wouldn't and didn't really put the needed effort into fixing some kind of backup. As always, afterwards you know what you should have done!

/Magnus
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support