Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 21st November 2022, 18:51   #1
BlaBla3

Disable creation of %APPDATA%\Winamp\winamp.log or provide option to disable

Version 5.91 creates winamp.log when it detects not all plugins are installed. But considering I can uninstall plugins that I don't want, I don't want log file to be written every Winamp startup telling me that some plugins can't be loaded. Yes, I know they can't be loaded because I uninstalled them! But this information is added to log on every Winamp start and increasing without limit. Please disable this useless log file creation or at least give us an option to disable it.
Thanks in advance,
regards
BlaBla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2022, 15:31   #2
BlaBla3

There is no such option in Winamp 5.90 build 9999 (5.91 was my typo, sorry). Also, I think you are confusing winamp.log with Winamp.m3u and Winamp.m3u8 because those two are files that remembers last played files. winamp.log is written when Winamp detects there are missing generic from \Plugins folders (gen_ml.dll also has separate ml_*.dll plugin log procedure that is also written in winamp.log!) and that is wrong because it is perfectly allowed for Pugins to be uninstalled. But if you uninstall, for example gen_tray.dll you'll get "The plugin 'gen_tray.dll' is not found in the "Plugins" folder!" EVERYTIME you start winamp, *appended* to winamp.log. So to repeat, no, this cannot be disabled in options (but yes, it should be option to disable it!)
BlaBla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2022, 15:46   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

We haven't decided what to do with it yet.
The main reason it was implemented was due to all the loading issues during the 5.9.0 beta period.
The log creation proved very useful in determining the cause and solution for all those loading issues.

We'll decide what to do about it later, e.g. get rid of it, or make it optional, or augment it, or whatever.

Is it really a major issue?
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support