Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Old 18th February 2011, 02:57   #41
c00ller

I realized there may be another layer of complication. As I mentioned before, I am primarily an iTunes user since I like its ability to organize my music. I have built all my playlists there, and import them within Winamp whenever I make a change or add new music. This may be why the playlist files are not correct to begin with.

I saved the current .m3u8 files, and you're right, there is something wrong with them. In the m3u8 file that corresponds to my New playlist, there is an obvious different between the tracks that do get synced that those that are not (look at the last 5 lines of i_15092.m3u8).

I just deleted New and recreated it manually, then went to left button > exit. Upon inspection of the new m3u8 file, plf7DD4.m3u8, it is clear that it is now "correct". MdSync successfully synced all 20 songs!

Also, looking at the old m3u8 files, it is obvious that my other playlists are faulty. Well, now that we know what the cause is, my question is: should I never import my playlists from iTunes again? Will I have to recreate my other playlists in Winamp?
Attached Files
File Type: zip old playlists.zip (10.9 KB, 304 views)
File Type: zip new playlists.zip (10.9 KB, 294 views)
c00ller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 03:07   #42
c00ller

I found a rather inefficient way to recreate all my playlists. I just make a new playlist, right click on the defective playlist > Send to: > Media Library Playlists > new playlist.
This creates "correct" m3u8 files with the same songs.

Edit: the above actually just recreates another defective m3u8 file. The same applies for Send to: > New Playlist. The only way to really do it is to create a new playlist, highlight all the files in the defective playlist, then drag them into the new playlist.

Edit2: I'm pretty sure it has to do with the manner it imports my iTunes playlists. I created a new playlist in Winamp, opened iTunes, opened a playlist in iTunes, and dragged the music from iTunes into the new playlist in Winamp (another feature I wish Winamp had--drag and drop in and out of the window). This created a defective m3u8 file, similar to the ones I attached above.
Old 18th February 2011, 12:36   #43
bsg75

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00ller View Post
I found a rather inefficient way to recreate all my playlists. I just make a new playlist, right click on the defective playlist > Send to: > Media Library Playlists > new playlist.
This creates "correct" m3u8 files with the same songs.

Edit: the above actually just recreates another defective m3u8 file. The same applies for Send to: > New Playlist. The only way to really do it is to create a new playlist, highlight all the files in the defective playlist, then drag them into the new playlist.

Edit2: I'm pretty sure it has to do with the manner it imports my iTunes playlists. I created a new playlist in Winamp, opened iTunes, opened a playlist in iTunes, and dragged the music from iTunes into the new playlist in Winamp (another feature I wish Winamp had--drag and drop in and out of the window). This created a defective m3u8 file, similar to the ones I attached above.
I have not tested iTunes to see what exactly it does. I would expect that if you import the database and playlists from iTunes, then shut down Winamp like we said, it would create the pl correctly. To be safe, you may want to shut down iTunes first, then import into Winamp, then shut down winamp.

I'm pretty happy that we got to the bottom of that issue and this mdSync is working for regular Winamp>Android syncing.

I do plan on adding an iTunes option to the new mdSync shortly. I would have done it sooner, but we were debugging this other scenario. (Thanks again for your patience and help!).

I'll test a little of the iTunes import today at work, to see what it does. I don't want to fiddle with my home machine since I already have smart playlists and such in my winamp library.
bsg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 14:33   #44
c00ller

FYI, importing iTunes playlists does not replace any current playlists you already have; your existing Winamp playlists will be unaffected by an iTunes playlist import.
Old 18th February 2011, 18:38   #45
bsg75

OK. I tested this out. Initially, the new iTunes playlists look like this after being imported:

#EXTM3U
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\02 - My Body Feat. Mia J.mp3
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\03 - Shocking Silence Feat. Dino.mp3
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\04 - U Move U Rock Me.mp3
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\05 - Who's Your Daddy_ (Pump-kin Remix).mp3
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\07 - Rock' n' Rave.mp3
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\08 - I Am Not Drunk.mp3
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\14 - Eclectic Strings.mp3
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\17 - I Love My Sex (Pump-kin Remix).mp3

If you play a track in the playlist, even briefly, they get resaved by Winamp, like this (the "correct" format).

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:373,Benny Benassi - My Body Feat. Mia J
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\02 - My Body Feat. Mia J.mp3
#EXTINF:515,Benny Benassi - Shocking Silence Feat. Dino
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\03 - Shocking Silence Feat. Dino.mp3
#EXTINF:306,Benny Benassi - U Move U Rock Me
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\04 - U Move U Rock Me.mp3
#EXTINF:322,Benny Benassi - Who's Your Daddy? (Pump-kin Remix)
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\05 - Who's Your Daddy_ (Pump-kin Remix).mp3
#EXTINF:304,Benny Benassi - Rock' n' Rave
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\07 - Rock' n' Rave.mp3
#EXTINF:306,Benny Benassi - I Am Not Drunk
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\08 - I Am Not Drunk.mp3
#EXTINF:373,Benny Benassi - Eclectic Strings
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\14 - Eclectic Strings.mp3
#EXTINF:424,Benny Benassi - I Love My Sex (Pump-kin Remix)
\Mike\Music\Benny Benassi\Rock N' Rave\17 - I Love My Sex (Pump-kin Remix).mp3

The issue is that Winamp needs to read the metadata, then it will create the correct playlist format. You can either play any song in the playlist, and this will update the whole playlist, or highlight the entire library and re-read the meta-data. I tested it and it works for me.

Easiest option: Import the iTunes playlist and play a single track from it for just a second. Then it should be ready to go.

Let me know if this works for you.
Old 19th February 2011, 17:26   #46
c00ller

I tried doing what you said, playing a single track from a freshly imported playlist. That does correctly format the m3u8 file, but ONLY for the first 15 songs. I noticed the playlist you tested with is only 8 songs. Try one with > 15 songs.
Old 19th February 2011, 23:23   #47
bsg75

I'm not even getting that option here at home. I only get the import option at work. Weird.

Anyway, I did a pretty substantial update to mdSync. It now supports iTunes syncing, too. You can download it at the same link. v 0.5.0.6. Just pick iTunes from the dropdown. It does say Winamp by default. Give it 15-30 seconds to import your iTunes library if it's really large. The UI is also a little nicer.

Now, this does NOT attempt to copy over iTunes album art files. You will have to have already embedded the album at into your files. I did a couple of tests and it was working fine. All of the syn logic is reused. I just had to populate the list of tracks differently.
Old 20th February 2011, 23:53   #48
c00ller

Wow, newest version works perfectly with iTunes . I think it's ready for public release. You should share this with Android Central (news tip, not in the forums), lifehacker, etc. I'm sure plenty of people would love an independent music sync program that works for any Android media player.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:52   #49
bsg75

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00ller View Post
Wow, newest version works perfectly with iTunes . I think it's ready for public release. You should share this with Android Central (news tip, not in the forums), lifehacker, etc. I'm sure plenty of people would love an independent music sync program that works for any Android media player.

Thanks so much! I hope it works well for you. I'll hit up AC soon enough with the tool.
Old 3rd April 2011, 16:09   #50
puyanera

So i'm fairly new at all this stuff, but just a thought on Snowtoads suggestions. You can use the Tasker app to automate the renaming of the Android app each time you either connect to USB or Wifi. There's no actual rename function so you just need to move the Android folder to Android_ or whatever. Anyway, hope that's of some use.
puyanera is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Tags
album art, android, embed, sync, winamp