Old 24th June 2013, 17:09   #1

Speed Up Library Searches

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to speed up library searches currently I have over 100k in music MP3's.

I fear the only way is to downsize which is something I really do not want to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
AvatarAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 17:43   #2
DrO

the larger the library, the slower the query is going to be, that's just how it goes and people seem to forget that fact when they compare their library now and it seems 'so slow' to load compared to a few years ago when it was 'so fast' to load and blame it on the newer Winamp versions.

how long is the search taking to run on your files? as a few seconds is probably what i'd expect from such a data set.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 17:44   #3
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Would help if you started with some specs. Can we assume you are using the latest beta? And which OS are you on? What kind of spec machine? Roughly how long is a search taking for you?

Edit: Obviously I was typing at the same time as DrO....
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 18:01   #4

sorry I was unsure what details would help see below:

It takes about 40 seconds

Using Winamp 5.64 latest download
Windows Vista 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.20GHz
4gb Ram
Old 24th June 2013, 18:02   #5
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

As a quick test, using the latest beta release. My PC is Win7 Ultimate (x64) on an old Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz with 4GB RAM.

Library is currently 65,000 tracks. I search for "floyd" and get back 1807 items in 2.185 seconds.

Clear the search and it rebuilds the full list in 1.440 seconds.

Those times are from the status bar at the bottom of Winamp. Doing an unscientific "watching the second hand of my clock" maybe a second could be added to that time.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:05   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

FOURTY!! There has to be something else up on your PC. That's just too long. See my quick test above. Okay - I am using a quad and 66% of your list, but I doubt Winamp is using all the cores and that is quite a leap to 40.

What else have you got running on the PC at the same time? What AV are you using? Something is a bit freaky there.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:05   #7

So even if my search was double yours Batter I would be more than happy however @ 40ish seconds its quite excessive.

Any ideas!
Old 24th June 2013, 18:06   #8
DrO

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins is needed as 40 seconds is just not right. that will at least give a better idea of your setup though it may have to come down to nuking the library (not yet though) and see if it's due to a corrupt db or something else installed messing with things.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 18:14   #9

I am really not sure I've tried installing windows and only installing winamp but still takes an incredibly long time.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:16   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I think a HiJackThis log could be a handy one here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Download and run that. Create a log and post it here. But do NOT try changing anything with the program as it could cause more trouble for you.

This log lets us see what else is happening on your PC at the moment.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:20   #11
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarAlmighty View Post
I am really not sure I've tried installing windows and only installing winamp but still takes an incredibly long time.
What does this mean? Can you re-word this? Are you saying this is a FRESH Windows Vista install? Have you FULLY service packed Vista by installing all Windows Updates?
Old 24th June 2013, 18:29   #12

Yes fresh version and all service packs installed and then Winamp installed then after this I didn't see any improvement.

This is not a fresh version now as I have been using the laptop for a while.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:30   #13
ujay
Forum King

For information, more than anything else.

As well as the size of your Library(the number of records to be searched), the length of your search string will also have a big effect on the time it takes. As DrO says, this is a fact of life with any database.

Here are the figures I get for a search with different length queries.

5 characters - 1.320 secs.
10 characters - 2.745 secs.
20 characters - 4.935 secs.
30 characters - 7.660 secs.

'Clear Search' takes about 0.85 secs. to re-display.

i5 laptop, SSD, 8GB RAM, 63K files.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 18:34   #14

So by your posy ujay if the files are sorted into folders and then the artist and then the cd the characters length could be the issue.

EG. D:\Music\Winamp Library Files\Music\005 - Artist A-Z\A-B\B\Black Keys El Camino, The\04-the_black_keys-little_black_submarines.mp3
Old 24th June 2013, 18:38   #15
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Folder names shouldn't make much difference. That just gives a few more words to match against. Most of the matching ends up being in the tags. My music is in various folders on different PCs and drives. I don't have the "A-Z" bits, but I do have deep paths in places.

Post up an HiJackThis log and we'll comb through it for suspects.

And do I guess that you had slow searches on Vista BEFORE your rebuild? And after your rebuild you started with a freshly built database? Or was this copied from the old install?
Old 24th June 2013, 18:41   #16

Yep everything was fresh windows/service packs/winamp and the database was built from add to library - so it was fresh.

I have posted the Hijack list its waiting for a moderator to approve it. Is there away of adding the file with out it needing to go through this process as all I've done is copy and paste the text it generated.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:44   #17
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I guess your noobie status is delaying the HiJackThis log appearing. Not sure what the post count is before you can post attachments. Don't think it is too high (maybe 10?).

The main two ways of posting the list are: As an attachment (you may have to rename it to Hijackthis.txt) and as a copy and paste into a post. A mod will soon sort it out though so patience will pay off.

Meanwhile I'll check a daft question. Do you have plenty of space on that hard disk?
Old 24th June 2013, 18:52   #18

Yep still got 300gb free on a 1tb drive.

thank you all for you time in trying to help me sort this.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:02   #19
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

ujay - you're showing me why I need to update this old PC. Same size database, a fraction of the search time. I assume the number of results will also affect the time.

AvatarAlmighty - Have you tried the Attachments button? I'm fairly sure that works for someone on a small number of posts. On my browser the attachment button is a little odd as the window doesn't open big enough to see all the buttons and I need to press, so need to move scroll bars around.

You need to use the "Go Advanced" button instead of the "Post Quick reply" to be able to find the attachments button.

And most of us on here just enjoy helping. Some of the people above are the (heroic) paid devs. The rest of us just know how criminal it is to keep a man separated from his tunes.

Edit: The only limit on posting for a noobie is posting URLs due to spam. so you should be able to do a copy and paste to a post. Or post an attachment using the relevant buttons.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:07   #20

I have tried using the Go Advanced button I do not seem to have an attachments button unless I'm missing something.

Thanks again!
Old 24th June 2013, 19:08   #21
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarAlmighty View Post
I have tried using the Go Advanced button I do not seem to have an attachments button unless I'm missing something.

Thanks again!
The button is labelled "Manage Attachments" and you need to scroll down a bit into the "Additional Options" section
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachments.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	50645  
Old 24th June 2013, 19:10   #22

Found it! thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt Hijackthis.txt.txt (13.6 KB, 156 views)
Old 24th June 2013, 19:21   #23
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Okay... so things I'd suggest.

1\ WHY are you running such an old AVG. update that to at least the latest one. (Or even better, replace it with a decent product). AVG 8.0 was well known to be a process hog.

2\ While you are at it, get shot of the old Adobe Acrobat and update it.

3\ Nero? Yuk. Do you use the BackItUp product? If not, uninstall it.

4\ Ouch. A Sony product!! They don't half pile up the bloat. Personally I'd consider if you really need the PMB stuff and uninstall it if you don't. I have plenty of experience of Sony PCs and laptops and the bloatware they are stacked with. 90% of the "sony" products on that laptop are jsut slowing it down. If I was you I would get rid of them. (Notice later that this is actually a dell. So why the Sony software? What Sony thing you got?)

5\ (I am ignoring the Bitcomet plugins... Don't know anything about them...)

6\ I would also remove JAVA unless you actually have sites that use it. Too many viruses come that way.

7\ Bing toolbar? Uninstall....

8\ Ask toolbar as well? Uninstall...

9\ Dell support centre - uninstall....

10\ What is that Adobe Server running? Is that the Version Tools? I only know CS2 and that came with an annoying Version Cue tool which I removed. You don't need everything that is in CS3. go to the uninstall and press the CHANGE button on CS3 and remove the CUE tools unless you need them. (If you don't know what it is, then you don't need it).

11\ Kill the Welcome Centre when you next boot up (tick the box in the corner to tell it not to display again)

12\ Magic Disc? What is that? If you don't know, then uninstall it.

13\ Do you have a 3D monitor? If not, then you don't need the 3D drivers installed for the graphics card.

There is a heap of other odd items at the bottom of the log that need investigating, but I have to eat my tea first.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:29   #24
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Or a better summary. You have a LOT of junk installed on that PC. I guess you are installing the same apps you have always installed without doing "custom" installs.

Nero - what do you use this for? Really? Tehre are much better products out there now as Nero lost its marbles long ago.

Adobe CS3 - reduce the junk that gets installed to the parts you really use.

Sony kit always installs bloat on a PC. Get rid of the bloat unless you REALLY use it.

AVG seriously lost the plot back when version 8.0 came out. They went from a neat, fast, nippy product to a bloated mess. Even the latest one has far too many "extras" added to it slowing it down. The Free version is more of a walking advert now. You are probably better off with the free Microsoft Essential Security as that has less bloat and is jsut as bad as AVG at spotting stuff. At least it isn't bloated like AVG.

Toolbars are always evil. Kill, kill, kill.

Yes, I am mainly concentrating on getting the PC happier here. it is clear there is a big drain on the system itself which needs cleaning up. A bit of time on the Uninstall Programs list is going to do wonders here.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:51   #25
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

The closer I look at your software, the more I wonder. We are going to have some problems helping you and sticking to the rules of this forum. We are not allowed to assist in anything illegal \ pirated. No naughty cracking here.

Do I guess you have a mate who tells you about all the clever stuff you can nick for nothing? I should warn you that this friend of yours is seriously out of date and giving you duff advice. Many of the programs you are running could be replaced with safer, newer more modern tools which perform a lot better. You have weighted your PC down with "full installs" of products that you probably don't need. (I am especially thinking of Nero and Adobe CS3 here).

If you tell us they are pirated, then we can't assist. And with tools like BitComet and MagicDisk on your PC there are clues there for anyone to read.

I don't want to preach - but there are things we can do to help you. Getting rid of out of date, bloated, pirated, dated programs and replacing them with legally free products is going to make the whole PC work a lot better. And you won't loose out on features.

Example: I bet you have Nero on there because you want to burn the odd CD\DVD? Trouble is Nero added so much bloated trash to the product it became a nightmare. I used to be a Nero fan - and then swapped to "CD Burner Pro XP". Does everything Nero did, without the bloat.

Go and look at a legal site like www.ninite.com and you will see a whole raft of legally free software that works so much better than the excess bloat you have added to this poor PC of yours.

You may have lucked out here - the slow Winamp search is also going to lead to picking up all kinds of handy knowledge.
Old 24th June 2013, 20:14   #26

This is all very good stuff thank you for your help and yes you are right mainly full installs but that still doesnt explain why it was so slow with just the bare essentials installed

i.e.

windows fresh install
Service packs installed
And Winamp only installed

Was still very slow!
Old 25th June 2013, 11:14   #27
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

If this was an identical time on the empty machine, there has to be something odd with your music. Or the way you do your tags. Or something.

Any pattern on where the music comes from? Always ripped in the same way using same tools? Or a mixed source?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support