Old 16th February 2011, 23:03   #1
blu3ski

Why winamp can't highlight playing song?

Can't realize why still winamp can't highlighting which song is playing.
If manually pressing to play song (double click), then song marked (highlighted/changed font color that song), but if played 'next' still highlighted which was manually marked.
Is any why that with 'next' button next song can be highlighted.
Or should I as in wish-list forum for that feature?
Any help appreciate. Thanks.
blu3ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 23:50   #2
JonnyMac

Are you talking about the Media Library? The Media Library doesn't know what song is currently playing, it is basically media orginizer. Playback is done "through" the main playlist editor and thus the playlist editor can highlight the currently playing song.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 09:50   #3
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

You may be getting confused with iTunes. Your "next" functions do work, but in the Playlist.

The idea is you setup a playlist you want to listen to, and while that is chugging away and playing tracks, you can still mess around in the Media Library looking for more tunes to add to your Playlist.

Wipe your mind of the Apple Way of doing things, and you will soon find that Winamp is much more flexible and not as dumbed down as iTunes.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 10:46   #4
blu3ski

@Batter Pudding
I never use to manage/play mine music via iTunes, so you wrong.

@JonnyMac
Yes, you correct, I was talked about Media library. Can you explain why Media library can't remember which song is playing? Maybe because I adding music to Media library via drag'n'drop? I know all my music very well and never using playlist, search in winamp and so on.
blu3ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 10:56   #5
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3ski View Post
Can you explain why Media library can't remember which song is playing?
it's because the library has absolutely no knowledge of what is playing as that is how it was built when 2.9x was released and how it has remained.

there have been previous requests (with existing threads in the wishlist forum which is just wishes and never guarantees being considered / implemented) but nothing has been done to work towards doing anything which would allow for this to be done. it basically doesn't fit with how Winamp generally does things (ignoring that it could potentially slow ml views down, etc).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 11:14   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@blue3ski: The iTunes comment was not supposed to be an insult. Sorry if it was taken that way. I was trying to use it as a comparison of a product that works in the way you were describing.

So a "library" is where your tracks are stored. A bit like having a shelf full of CDs.

The "playlist" is the tracks that are currently lined up to be played. A bit like the stack of CDs you dump next to your CD player when you are playing physical media. It is this "playlist" which has the "current playing track" highlighted.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 15:05   #7
jacfalcon

Couldn't there be a plugin that lets the library know the current song? It makes library management much easier.
jacfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 15:11   #8
DrO

to do it, it requires changes at the most basic level in the library plug-in itself - it's not viable (or possible from what i remember) to even attempt to do it via another plug-in hooking and overriding things i.e. it's got to be natively done (and if so i'd hope it's an opt-in feature rather than an opt-out default).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support