Old 20th April 2012, 10:09   #1
wingwiper69

Winamp won't play mpeg videos

I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit and I have been using Winamp Pro for several years now, what I am now witness, at least with the latest update, winamp will not play mpg video files, it just shuts down. I have always had problems with many flv video files, but these mpg files work fine on my desk top (windows xp 32 bit).

What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks
wingwiper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:06   #2
wingwiper69

Let's try this again, I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit and I have done a complete re-install of all software and did a HD format prior.

I have been using Winamp Pro for many years and have the latest version.

It seems to play almost all video file formats that I have requested it to, except, some FLV and all MPG.

When I try to play mpg video files that I have been playing for several years, it may play a few seconds or it may instantly give me a windows closed winamp and will search for a solution or something close to that error. It then proceeds to shut down.

I have all windows updates and all my drivers are current.

Any ideas?
Thanks
wingwiper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 02:45   #3
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

winamp has no native mpeg 1(video) decoders and relies on windows for playback so if your windows decoders arn't working properly then neither will winamp for these file formats.(although sometimes you get different results with different players)

try installing ffdshow codec's, i'm guessing its a decoder problem in windows.(and it covers a lot of missing decoders aswell)

http://www.free-codecs.com/ffdshow_download.htm

if it doesn't work you could try setting libffmpeg for all mpeg codecs in the installer. or it might work just after installation.

an mpg file is very ambiguous and it covers LOTS of different technology as its just a file extension. different decoders will behave differently in the case of a faulty video files and might crash the software or cause visual errors etc.

Last edited by Rocker; 24th April 2012 at 02:46. Reason: cos I can
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 06:34   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi wingwiper69,

I suggest the Shark007 codec packages (minimal setup required with lots of options for experts). They include ffdshow and others. Install the 32-bit and 64-bit packages for Win 7. Are you sure you installed all the appropriate Winamp video options? Posting a 'One for Nunz' report would allow that to be ruled out (Read Sticky on Troubleshooting).

http://shark007.net/index.html

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 09:03   #5
wingwiper

Thanks so much ROCKER and AMINIFU

Yes! ALL Video files were selected.

I will try that ASAP, I did run a codec pkg a long while ago and haven't re-installed since the re-format and re-install, that is probably the problem.

I will give it a try, thanks
wingwiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support