Old 1st May 2012, 00:34   #1
suges

Auto-Tag Not Working

The auto-tag feature on Winamp doesn't seem to work anymore. I've tried disabling my firewall and doing a clean install of Winamp but it still won't work. I have the latest version installed.

Every time I try to use the auto-tag feature on any song it says "Failed - No match found" after about 30 seconds or so.

Even the built-in browser in Winamp is working. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Help me
suges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 16:08   #2
suges

Looks like I left out the necessary information required to determine the problem. Since it's a clean install most settings should be default, but please find all the information below.

-List of Plugins:
Find my_plugin_list.zip attached

-PC or Motherboard make/model:
Samsung RV510

-CPU:
Celeron Dual-Core CPU T3500 @ 2.10GHz

-RAM:
2.00GB

-Sound card or chip:
Realtek High Definition Audio

-Videocard:
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

-Windows OS:
Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)

-DirectX version:
DirectX 11

-Winamp version:
5.623 (x86)

-Winamp installation type:
Custom - Winamp Detector Plug-in left unchecked and Languages (except English) left unchecked

The built-in browser along with all of the online services are working. Not sure what the problem is. Let me know if any other information is needed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip my_plugin_list.zip (4.4 KB, 500 views)
Old 4th May 2012, 17:55   #3
suges

Anyone? Need some help here as I use the auto-tag function on a regular basis.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:20   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi suges,

WA uses an independent site to supply tag info. WA has no control over this site. The problem is probably at that site.

Many users find the WA auto-tag to be unreliable and use 3rd party taggers (MP3Tag, TagScanner, etc.) to supplement, or just use them instead of, the WA auto-tagging. These 3rd party taggers can access more than one source of tagging info and are therefore more reliable and comprehensive.

If you do use a 3rd party tagger, be sure to select the affected files in the media library, right-click on the selected group and select the option to 'read metadata on selected items'. This forces the media library to update it's database of the tag changes. If the 3rd party tagger also changed the files' modified dates, then selecting the WA preference to rescan the watch folders files will also update the media library's database.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 12:44   #5
suges

I am aware of 3rd party taggers (I use Mp3tag fairly often) however I have numerous albums by lesser known and local artists which not even Discogs has information about.

It seems like only the Gracenote database has information about these artists which is why I need to use the auto-tag in Winamp.

Is there really no way to get it working again? Should I contact the Gracenote support to see if they can help me?
Old 11th May 2012, 14:14   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi suges,

Your 'One for Nunz' report looks okay to me (at-least compared to mine). Auto-tag is working fine on my system (so seems to be no current problems on Gracenote's end). Maybe you're trying it on songs that even Gracenote has no information on. Have you tried it on a song from a well know artist?

Old 11th May 2012, 19:03   #7
suges

Yeah, I have.

It says "Failed - No match found" no matter what I try.
Old 21st May 2012, 06:28   #8
suges

I still need help with this.

I've tried doing a complete re-install using Revo Uninstaller to remove all registry entries and other files associated to winamp and then installing it again but still it does not work. Why is this happening??
Old 21st May 2012, 09:55   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Your problem is not common, which is why no one is offering a sure fix. Most often, Gracenote simply has no info on the track(s) being looked up.

Have you used the forums' search feature to find out what others having this problem have tried. Among the suggestions I remember seeing are fixing corrupt files in the "Winamp/Microsoft.VC90.CRT" folder, removing an interfering 3rd party plug-in(s), and making sure WA is allowed thru the firewall. WA uses the IE browser engine, so having the WA browser access the Internet is no guarantee that WA itself has access.

However, you seem to have ruled out those 3 particular things, by disabling the firewall (not recommended) and doing a clean uninstall and reinstall with only official WA components.

Since it used to work for you, can you remember if anything else changed on your system (hardware and/or software added or removed) around the time it stopped working? A computer system is so complex that sometimes something that makes no sense being related to a problem turns out to be the problem.

Was it a different version of WA that worked? If so, clean uninstall and install that version and if it works, run a 'One for Nunz' report in order to look for differences between it and your current installation report. FileHippo.com is a good site for finding old WA versions.

Solving problems like this is like finding a needle in a haystack. Not a lot of fun, unless you have patience and accept the challenge of such things.

Old 21st May 2012, 18:25   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Let's see some info from an example track. There may be something odd about it that you haven't spotted initially.

What is the name of the physical audio file?
What is the full name of the folder it is stored in?
And what TAG details are already in place?

I have found that some folder names can confuse gracenote. Or sometimes having duff data in the TAGS can also do it. Even extra punctuation.

Which AUTOTAG method are you using? right click \ send to \ autotag or right Click \ View Track Info \ auto-tag? Please test each method (again I have had differing results here before)

What happens if you insert an Audio CD. Can it look up the tracknames for that okay? (Ideally pick a disk you know used to work okay)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:49   #11
jonhester

This may need to be a new thread... apologies if so....
Is there a shortcut key for Auto Tag?
jonhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:10   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhester View Post
This may need to be a new thread... apologies if so....
Is there a shortcut key for Auto Tag?
Not that I know of. If you just want to do one track, then <ALT>+<3> will open the "View File Info" box and the <Autotag> button is then only a few <TABS> away. (Just checked, it is five presses of <SHIFT>+<TAB> to get you onto the button)
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:14   #13
jonhester

Easier to right click I guess... thanks.
jonhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:28   #14
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhester View Post
Easier to right click I guess... thanks.
Yeah. You can then select multiple tracks that way.

Don't forget there is the <RightClickMenu> key on most modern keyboards. To the right of the space bar. (Opposite site to the <Windows> key). You could hit this, then use cursors to navigate the menus.

Personally I am a heavy keyboard user. Ever since writing software for Epson who insist everything must be controllable from the keyboard without touching the mouse.

EDIT: Ah - that is odd. The <Right Click Menu> button on the keyboard does not work in Winamp. So ignore this post. You have to use your mouse.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:14   #15
DrO

Winamp's support for the menu button has always been somewhat lacking and since the playlist editor doesn't handle the messages needed to show the menu, it doesn't appear.

plus there's a chance it'd need a fair bit of re-jigging of things to ensure it would work correctly with item selection handling so things like the send-to menu or some 3rd party plug-ins would work as expected.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 15:16   #16
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@DrO: I don't think the lack of support for the <RightClickMenu> button it is anything to worry about. I don't think 90% of PC users even know the button is there. Amazes me how few people even use the <Start> button.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:23   #17
DrO

my point is more that it's something which should be better supported even if it's not something most people are ever likely to use as it can be quite handy to just hit that button and it works.

and the playlist editor is the only part of Winamp that i use which i've not had the time to add better handling for the menu button since i ended up going through most of the media library plug-ins to support it properly.

i'd be even happier if it showed the general right-click menu when using it when it would be ok to be shown but my time and interest to add it just isn't there.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 12:23   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Logitech also can't decide if it's worthwhile to support the right-click menu button. My newer wireless model plank doesn't have it, but an older wireless model I have does.

The newer model has a number of buttons for all kinds of stuff. Like one for answering a phone call and another for hanging up. 2 buttons when 1 will do (tap to answer and tap again to hang up). It even has one labeled "VoIP" for starting a VoIP app. Then they released a driver update for the wireless transceiver that disabled all 3 of them. Well, go figure!

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support