Old 9th January 2011, 20:02   #1
thegoodtimes

anyone using MusicIP Mix...? Plugin question...

I see that the webaite etc for this plugin is no longer active.

Basicly I have my firewall block absolutely everything that I dont think needs an internet connetion - WinAmp included.

But with winamp blocked in Comodo the MusicIP Mix plugin fails to recognise tracks to mix.

Does anyone know why when the plugin is basicly dead in the water now with no website for it to report back to anyway.

I want to go back to blocking WinAmps internet connection but will then lose functionality of MusicIP Mix.

Any help or advice you be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
thegoodtimes.
thegoodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 20:32   #2
DrO

from a quick look the company folded in 2008 with a re-buy and change to AmpliFIND so i'm surprised things are even working with the plug-in. as it's a 3rd party product there's not too much we can suggest to help especially after the plug-in was pulled from the distribution a few years ago.

personally i'd try the gracenote powered playlist generator which replaced the musicip plug-in though i'm not sure on it's level of internet access (only suggesting it as that's the only method which is able to get any official support).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 20:41   #3
thegoodtimes

Thanks for that Daz.
I have tried the gracenote plugin but to be honest mate - like alot of other people I think the MusicIP Mix does a far far better job.

Anyone else have any ideas on this please?
Cheers.
Old 9th January 2011, 20:53   #4
DrO

well i've had better experience with the GN version to the musicip one (both in time to get reulits, time to scan my whole library) though both i don't think are as good as knowing your music and making a playlist that way (i guess i'm stuck in the past, heh).

either way, the only other recent(ish) posts about the musicip plug-in have been from people trying to use it with newer Winamp versions and it not working nicely so i guess it has more quirks, etc than just what you're seeing.

-daz
Old 9th January 2011, 21:16   #5
thegoodtimes

Thanks Daz, much appreciated.
Yeah the MusicIP takes a loooong time but seems to make better choices to me. But then again - I am stuck in the past when it comes to music so I know were you coming from. lol.
Gonna mess around with firewall settings for MusicIP as I do like it alot and want to keep it.
Old 9th January 2011, 21:32   #6
thegoodtimes

ok.... update.....

Just blocked Winamp in the firewall and added 40 files to my music library. MusicIP Mix cannot validate any of those new ones and wont include them in the mix but still has all my other files validated.

I simply have no clue what this plugin is doing or what it is connecting to on the internet or why it wont work if blocked.

Quite annoying.
;-)
thegoodtimes
Old 9th January 2011, 22:49   #7
DrO

from what i remember when it was first introduced, the plug-in connects to a remote database to query / store the information it has generated about the file (something i was never keen on as it meant their database was just filled for free by anyone using it in Winamp and it basically seemed to be store thing though this was back a few years ago now) which makes sense if it's not working for you with no firewall access being allowed.

-daz
Old 9th January 2011, 22:53   #8
thegoodtimes

yeah Daz, thats my whole point. All the websites for it disappeared completely and so it is odd that their database is still up and running.

Think I will monitor WinAmp through the firewall and find you just what IPs etc are getting info from my version of WinAmp. One of them should certainly be something to do with MusicIP Mix
Old 9th January 2011, 23:46   #9
thegoodtimes

ok, here we go.
Traced the IP that MusicIP Mix is trying to connect to and it leads me to http://www.amplifindmusicservices.co.../downloads.php

So yeah, despite no support for MusicIP, it seems it is connecting to the same servers as amplifind as Daz rightly said.

So, in conclusion - a huge data mining operation is still going on if you use the MusicIP plugin. Dont think cos it disappeared years ago and is no longer supported and has changed its name and company blah blah blah that it is innocent. It is indeed checking your music against its database.

For me... I am removing it right now simply for that reason alone.

Have fun and thanks again Daz
Old 29th May 2012, 19:57   #10
Sagehorn

I have another question concerning the MusicIP Plugin aka "MyDJ® Plug-in".

Currently I'm using the MusicIP Mixer Tool, but i found the said plugin. Seems that it doesn't work on the database of the MusicIP Mixer. I think this would be a bit wasteful and inconvenient, not? On the other hand, some features of the MusicIP Mixer are not implemented. So maybe its best to use the standalone software further on..
Sagehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 02:43   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

I think it's best to use the standalone version. The 'data mining' that "MusicIP Mixer" may be contributing to may be an issue. Not much to worry about imo, unless your collection includes a lot of illicit, copyrighted material and you try sharing it over the internet. Even so, there are ways to disable the copyright flag in some file formats.

Some users (myself included) are quite happy that MusicIP Mixer's (standalone version) main function of generating playlists still works. It does take a long time to analyze a large collection, but when MusicIP Mixer is setup properly it generates playlists superior to Gracenote's, imo. My main issue with the Gracenote generator is that it sometimes ignores it's advanced options settings.

That said, I agree with DrO: "... i don't think are as good as knowing your music and making a playlist that way ...". Although sometimes I'm lazy and playlist generators help me to rediscover music that I had forgotten that I have.

Couple links below to fairly recent threads on user experiences with these 2 playlist generators.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=343397

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....98#post2838798

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 18:14   #12
Sagehorn

(with "database" i'm referring to the local, not the external data btw)
I would use the plugin if it has the same quality as the standalone tool. It would be a bit more comfortable generating such playlists within only one software..
I will test the results of plugin and standalone now and report them here

edit: okay, results are tendentially the same. The only disadvantage are some missing features that i'm actually not using.. so the plugin is more or less the same and works fine on my machine
Sagehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support