Old 29th June 2008, 23:02   #1
bonacker

Problem opening very long stream URLs

There's a radio station, KFI in Los Angeles, that will not play in Winamp but will play in WMP 11 and VLC. It also will not play in Classic Media Player.

I'm trying to figure out why, The URL is

mms://www.applian.com/special/clearchannel.php?domain=kfi640.com .

This redirects to a very long URL with an authorization hash or something that's only good for a 1/2 hour or so.

I think the reason it won't play in Winamp is because the actual stream URL is too long (see below). You can't load this address into the open URL field, so I'm thinking it's also too long as an automatic redirect.

Does anyone know if I'm right or if not why this URL won't play? When I made a T inyurl of the long one (with /.wma appended) it worked in Winamp until the hash expired. Is there a workaround for this?

This URL won't work, because it expired but this is what it looks like:

a464.l1977112463.c19771.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/464/19771/v0001/reflector:12463?auth=caEaUcFabbQbVbFdhacbDcPbqahcqaxbNcI-biAaaj-4q-RNYV1_3osEBqt1EBwlwsCp&aifp=1234&CPROG=SIMULCAST&MARKET=LOSANGELES-CA&MNM=1&NG_FORMAT=talk&NG_ID=kfi640am&OR_NEWSFORMAT=&REQUESTOR=KFI-AM&SERVER_NAME=wwwkfi640com&SITE_ID=616&STATION_ID=KFI-AM

I used Proxomitron to get the above.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 23:30   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What version of Winamp are you using?

Your long url adds just fine into the 'add url' box in Winamp 5.531 for me.

From Winamp 5.094 whatsnew (about 3 or 4 years ago)
* Fixed: Winamp now supports adding URLs longer than 260 characters
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 00:22   #3
bonacker

Thanks, one more question...

Thanks. I'm using 5.03. If I get 5.5 (or whatever the latest is) would I be able to transfer my winamp.bm file, the ml folder in plugins, and the gen_ml.ini file in plugins and whatever other ones I'm forgetting? Otherwise, it would take me a long time to get the new version looking like the one I've been using for so long. TIA.

edit: I see oldversion.com has 5.09 and many old Winamps. What would be the highest version that I could use and just transfer my 5.03 config files etc. to the new install? Thanks again.
Old 30th June 2008, 00:55   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You should just be able to just install the latest version straight on top of the old one.

I guess you could make a backup copy of the Winamp folder first...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 10:43   #5
bonacker

Thank you. I am able to play the KFI stream with the long URL I described with the new version of Winamp.

I can't seem to figure out the changes to the media library from the version I've been using 5.03. For example, in the global hotkeys there isn't a show/hide media library. Is it still possible to bring up the media library with a global hotkey?

The ML I'm using now is very simple. In the left pane there are 1.) mp3's: with the album (M3u file) in the left pane and the tracks for the highlighted album in the right pane. And 2.) streams: in the left panel there are 3mu files with names like "NPR stations" which hold a list of streams with the name of the stream displaying in the right pane. I can't really make head or tail of the ml I see in the new version. Is it possible to configure the new ml to look like the old one I described Thanks.
Old 4th July 2008, 11:17   #6
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
ML: Show/Hide Media Library

As for your second question, I don't know what you are asking for. The basic ML layout hasn't changed that much throughout v5 history. There is the tree on the left and the things shown for whatever you have selected in the tree, Smart Views, Playlists, etc.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion