Old 11th September 2008, 18:32   #41
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by bjjocsdradio
I have to agree Tom, one of my biggest complaints about the new site is the inability to view the name of the whole station or song name until you click the "More" button, I understand that it makes the YP more compact but it's a tiring process to have to keep clicking through "More" buttons in order to view what actual song is playing, bit-rate, etc. Plus, no AIM or ICQ fields anymore? This should have been priority to be listed since it's already apart of the current DSP.

Also, something needs to be done with how many stations can be listed at once on a page, I remember with the old YP you were able to list up to 100 stations at once, having to scroll through endless amounts of pages is tiring as well, and will make it harder for smaller stations to be heard due to the fact that you have to go to the 18th page of a genre to find smaller stations, and most people will get tired of looking through listings by the 5th page with how the new YP is set up.

As far as the WINAMP internal SHOUTcast listing, you should just make an option to view "Classic SHOUTcast Listing", just like the main site has the option to view the old YP, that shouldn't be too hard at all.

I'm very happy SHOUTcast is moving forward with good progress, but certain issues being resolved will help alot of broadcasters out, especially with the YP. As much as I love the new YP design, the widget and the toolbar, I think we need to be more concerned in the long run with how the broadcasting software is going to play in with the relaunch. I know alot of people are disgruntled with how things are turning out, but you also have to understand the word "BETA" underneath the new logo, this is only testing at this point, and hopefully the dev team adresses the issues and corrects them.
Absolutely! It says BETA for a reason. :-)

With the addition and improvements that are planned for the backend broadcaster software and APIs, there will be loads more features and additions to the site in the months to come. And perhaps more importantly: open APIs means a lot more development that the SHOUTcast community can do to come up with apps and such.

Thanks and keep the feedback coming!

f.
SC_faisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 18:34   #42
JonnyMac

@maxshadow

I am replying to your PM at this thread.

I am not too bothered by the change. However, I do think there is a advantage to the older system as you prefer it to be.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 18:36   #43
Jkey
Forum King

i Think choice will be the key moving forward

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 18:48   #44
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

And hey we brought Tom out of the woodwork and THAT constitutes an event in itself.

f.
Old 11th September 2008, 18:52   #45
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by SC_faisal
And hey we brought Tom out of the woodwork and THAT constitutes an event in itself.

f.
Hehe yep its not often a shoutcast god speaks
directly to his followers these days.

Old 11th September 2008, 19:02   #46
bjjocsdradio

Send a message via AIM to bjjocsdradio
Quote:
Originally posted by Jkey
That is the classic system,there is now a new fresh
improved one in its place
Everybody understands that, but there is a phrase "don't fix what isn't broken". Was the design broken? Maybe, it hasn't been updated since Tom did a final redesign of the YP back in 1999, but taking out popular YP options was unneccesary, theres not even a place to list clustered stations anymore, theres alot that needs to be looked at here.
bjjocsdradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 19:05   #47
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
theres alot that needs to be looked at here.
And im sure it will be

Old 11th September 2008, 19:27   #48
dotme

Hell, I just looked at the listings inside Winamp. They look great to me.

I see what people are saying about the Winamp view only holding 10 listings per page, but I also understand the "hit" on a database when someone requests thousands of records. I'd prefer YP database performance and stability over a million stations on a single page any day.

I do wish the home page at www would show wider station listings though, like the Winamp view.

Just my two cents. I love the "Decades" genre link on the home page though. lol. Watch everyone scramble to change their genres to be listed under that
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 19:28   #49
jonberry

Re: Re: tunein-station.pls redirection

Quote:
yes this is temporary. We're working on a fix.

thanks
f.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

*Prays for a fix soon*
jonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 19:35   #50
Nick@ss

Quote:
Originally posted by dotme
Just my two cents. I love the "Decades" genre link on the home page though. lol. Watch everyone scramble to change their genres to be listed under that
There is a certain person i know that's not to far away has already done that
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 19:36   #51
Jkey
Forum King

Old 11th September 2008, 19:46   #52
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Re: Re: Re: tunein-station.pls redirection

Quote:
Originally posted by jonberry
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

*Prays for a fix soon*
Can you please try now and let me know if the problem is resolved?

thanks
f.
Old 11th September 2008, 20:01   #53
jonberry

Re: Re: Re: Re: tunein-station.pls redirection

Quote:
Can you please try now and let me know if the problem is resolved?

thanks
f.
Yes, it's working now.

BTW, do you have any long term plans to change that URL?

A heads up now would save me a lot of grief in the future.

Thanks again.

Jon
jonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 20:35   #54
chuckeh
SHOUTcast Freak

I guess the biggest news today wasnt the relaunch of the website, it was Tom's comeback to the forums
chuckeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 20:46   #55
jant77

What about those annoying nak 100 errors?

<09/11/08@22:41:06> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave error (nak)
<09/11/08@22:41:06> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (100)

I'm getting these every few YP touches since the beginning of this year. First I'm getting listed, then a few yp touches, then this error, then I'm added again, and so on. I didn't have problems for last few days though and the problem reappeared with the new site launch.
jant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 20:58   #56
chuckeh
SHOUTcast Freak

http://sp0rky-n00b.co.uk/nakerror.html

Are you behind a W-LAN or do you have an unstable connection?
chuckeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 02:35   #57
Don Malvo

Gotta agree with maxshadow, oomingmak et al, almost word for word... this new version of Shoutcast has fucked up Winamp. It freezes my computer every time I try to open it. I was just about to uninstall Winamp but decided to visit this forum for the first time ever, just to find out what the hell Nullsoft has done to the great program I've loved since 2001. Good thing the bug is in Shoutcast and not Winamp itself... I really wasn't liking the idea of having to search for another music player with the functionality of Winamp. Still, with Shoutcast unusable, that takes a huge chunk out of Winamp's appeal for the time being; hope you guys revert it back to the old format quick, or at least add the option to.
Don Malvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 02:50   #58
csaguy

Send a message via Yahoo to csaguy
new lists

Can we get back the "sort" feature in the media list to at least sort by name and genre?
csaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 03:26   #59
lowrider007

Quote:
That is the classic system,there is now a new fresh
improved one in its place
I'm sorry but don't take this personally, the only thing improved about it is how it looks, it lacks the functionality of the old system by miles, now I'm using shoutcast from within wimamp, I've been using the old system for years, a day doesn't go by when I don't have a shoutcast radio station playing, now I understand that people don't at first like change but this really is a step back, now I realise you guys want a fresh new look but there's no reason you can't have that and functionality in one neat package,

Major issues for me found so far are the following,

1) The inability to widen/manipulate the columns in the radio list, people are using monitors these days that have a resolution of up-to and beyond 1920x1200, being forced to view the list in such a confined space is not on.

2)The 'Station, Genre' search box doesn't remember your last search entry any more, this is also quite annoying, many are used to just loading up winamp with your fav genre of radio station found and displayed straight away without having to type in your last entry every time.

3) Having to hit the extra button under 'tune in' on every station just to find out more information, before all you had to do was widen the column to suit your resolution and then all you had to do was glance at the list and all the information was there to hand without having to click on every station just to get the extra information.

4)This is a big one for me, at the very least PLEASE, PLEASE show what Bitrate the radio station is on the first line, I would like to be able look at the list and know immediately which radio station is of what bitrate quality, PLEASE.

5)Also, 10 radio station being shown per page ?, whats going on here ?, at least add an option at the bottom to view list 10,20,30,40,50 etc.

Please remember that my complaints are directed at the functionality of shoutcast from within winamp, although tbh some of my complaints could also easily apply to the shoutcast.com also.

I do realise that this is still in the beta phase atm, I'm just asking that you please take on board some of our criticisms/suggestions, thankyou.

All the best.

lowrider007.

Last edited by lowrider007; 12th September 2008 at 03:49.
lowrider007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 03:33   #60
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Hi - regarding the listing of SHOUTcast within Winamp. ... Unfortunately you can not get back to the old list version within Winamp.
You will find a technique to revert to the old style Winamp listings here :

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....s&pagenumber=1

Scroll to the end for latest revision.

No idea if, or for how long, this will remain viable.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 04:09   #61
JDL_1

Winamp Shoutcast New Listing Style

Don't like it. The surface appearance is that it is just prettied up, which is wonderful for some people, but I am not one of those. I do appreciate the effort however. I am sure there is more to this (after a cursory thread read).

There are those I am sure that preferred the older one line packed full of information interface that simply scrolled. Yes, that is me all of the way. Drab, but extremely useful and hard to improve upon (don't take that any way but in describing the interface please).

Please put in a switch for those of us that want all of that information back on one line and all of the available items on one page.

Please. There is a wisdom to having information presented in a concise, compact, logical manner. It means minimal interaction with the screen, keyboard, and mouse. You had already accomplished that. This new interface requires so much effort to find something, where simple scrolling or sorting and scrolling took care of it so nicely with the old interface.

What is that method to revert back? I cannot seem to find it.

Last edited by JDL_1; 12th September 2008 at 04:45.
JDL_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 04:29   #62
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
I'm sorry but don't take this personally
Dont worry debate is why this thread is here

As for reverting back try the fix ujay posted
outside of winamp use http://classic.shoutcast.com

Old 12th September 2008, 04:38   #63
ujay
Forum King

Download and unzip the files (attached) - scr.html and sctv.html

Put them somewhere on your drive, ... /Winamp/Shoutcast/ would be good.

Close Winamp.
Open the ml_online.ini file in NotePad and edit the relevent ElementURLn= lines to point to the local sources.

e.g. ElementURLn=file:///C:/Program%20Files/Winamp/Shoutcast/scr.html

Save and re-open winamp.

If you look carefully at the .ini file structure you should be able to see how to add it in at the end, leaving the original settings intact, and allowing you to have both types of listing available.

Sorry, but you'll have to put up with no adverts

UJ
Attached Files
File Type: zip sc radio tv.zip (18.0 KB, 542 views)
Old 12th September 2008, 04:40   #64
Jkey
Forum King

Thanks for the fix

I talked to the dev team yesterday they were trying to put
the wheels into motion to revert back to the old
version.I guess now we wait for aol to say yes.

[IN WINAMP ONLY]

[edited sorry been on forum duty 14 hours]

Old 12th September 2008, 04:50   #65
JohnErle

Quote:
Originally posted by dotme
I love the "Decades" genre link on the home page though. lol. Watch everyone scramble to change their genres to be listed under that
I called dibs on "Themes" last night.
JohnErle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 04:51   #66
Jkey
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnErle
I called dibs on "Themes" last night.
Lol

Old 12th September 2008, 04:58   #67
CJPR

I do not like it. You can no longer do an easy search by bit rate.

If I click 'Rock' as a genre, then click 'broadband' for bit rate (like 128k is not broadband too!), my station, streaming at 192k and normally listed in the top 5 for that bit rate is listed well behind some other stations who are streaming at 128k.

What is the point of clicking the 'broadband' option for bit rate when you also list the 128k stations who already have a sort link. It is still grouping them by listener numbers rather than bit rate.

You have basically killed the option to do an easy search for higher than 128k bite rate stations.

I think it is also a bad use of available space. You are trying to make it too compact when the majority of people today have decent sized monitors.

My complain relates the the winamp bento browser.

Last edited by CJPR; 12th September 2008 at 05:13.
CJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 05:07   #68
lowrider007

Quote:
Dont worry debate is why this thread is here

As for reverting back try the fix ujay posted
outside of winamp use http://classic.shoutcast.com
YES !!!!!!!

That fix works !!, old shoutcast is back !!! wOOO hOOOO, thanks mate, whoever made that, I owe you a pint of lagar.
lowrider007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 05:25   #69
ujay
Forum King

Maybe the old and new styles can be made available through the Online Setup page, minimal change and no update required to Winamp.exe

I've fallen in love with having both styles available already, and use whatever facilities each has to offer.

UJ
Old 12th September 2008, 05:29   #70
Jkey
Forum King

So let me conclude before my shift is over
that the majority of people are happy with the changes ?
hehehe

Old 12th September 2008, 05:52   #71
JDL_1

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
If you look carefully at the .ini file structure you should be able to see how to add it in at the end, leaving the original settings intact, and allowing you to have both types of listing available.
Thank You! For use within Winamp, this works quite fine. I now have both old and new versions listed (and for SHOUTcast TV) but use the "convenient for me" old version.
JDL_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 06:53   #72
droli

New ShoutCastTV - I hate it ... please return normal mode

Please return the normal/standard ShoutCastTV view in MediaLibrary.

Also, please do NOT ever make this type of change, at least not without having some obvious switch that returns to normal mode.

I hate the new Beta. It is cumbersome and all but useless for the way in which I use MediaLibrary.
droli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 06:55   #73
jant77

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckeh
http://sp0rky-n00b.co.uk/nakerror.html

Are you behind a W-LAN or do you have an unstable connection?
it's NAK 100, which is an yp error
if I was behind firewall, I would get an error saying that I'm not visible from the internet
jant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 12:24   #74
droli

ml_online.ini .. NO SUCH THING on my installation. How do I revert back to the normal MediaLibraray interface???? I hate this new one its useless.
Old 12th September 2008, 12:30   #75
Nick@ss

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....57#post2403757
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 12:43   #76
droli

I have looked at that post, that is where I found the instructions to edit the "ml_online.ini" file. HOWEVER, as STATED in my reply, in my installation THERE IS NOT SUCH FILE as "ml_online.ini".

THEREFORE, there is no file to EDIT!

Do you mean that I should create one? If so, which directory does it belong in? Also, does it require any other bits? etc etc etc ...
Old 12th September 2008, 12:56   #77
broadcastingman

Quote:
Originally posted by droli
I have looked at that post, that is where I found the instructions to edit the "ml_online.ini" file. HOWEVER, as STATED in my reply, in my installation THERE IS NOT SUCH FILE as "ml_online.ini".

THEREFORE, there is no file to EDIT!

Do you mean that I should create one? If so, which directory does it belong in? Also, does it require any other bits? etc etc etc ...
Are you paying for this support? Give the staff at shoutcast.com some respect dude. It looks like your demanding and shouting like a 2 year old.
broadcastingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 13:29   #78
Jkey
Forum King

I know everyone is upset and scared by the new changes.
Change is scary,but just relax your all starting to
fight like a pack of wild dogs.

Just stay calm,breath in breath out before you post
it makes the place far more friendly.

Old 12th September 2008, 13:51   #79
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Malvo
Gotta agree with maxshadow, oomingmak et al, almost word for word... this new version of Shoutcast has fucked up Winamp. It freezes my computer every time I try to open it. I was just about to uninstall Winamp but decided to visit this forum for the first time ever, just to find out what the hell Nullsoft has done to the great program I've loved since 2001. Good thing the bug is in Shoutcast and not Winamp itself... I really wasn't liking the idea of having to search for another music player with the functionality of Winamp. Still, with Shoutcast unusable, that takes a huge chunk out of Winamp's appeal for the time being; hope you guys revert it back to the old format quick, or at least add the option to.
We're working on fixing this issue... Thanks for your patience!

f.
Old 12th September 2008, 14:31   #80
SC_faisal
SHOUTcast (Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by lowrider007
YES !!!!!!!

That fix works !!, old shoutcast is back !!! wOOO hOOOO, thanks mate, whoever made that, I owe you a pint of lagar.
Thanks you can send that pint over to us at the office. You will see that we had provided the old version right from the get-go on the top-left hand corner of the new site:

"Miss your old SHOUTcast Radio?
Classic SHOUTcast Radio 1.0"

Cheers!
f.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Site Design