Old 20th October 2012, 03:38   #1
MamboChuck

Bandwidth and limits

Hi All,

I am in the process of setting up my radio and will be launching in a few weeks. I have the base Shoutcast Package which is 128kbs, 500 listeners and 500 gb of bandwidth.

I am a little concerned about the bandwidth limit because I have a feeling that with 500 listeners limit (depending on the success of the station) I will easily exahust it in only few days. I'm sorry if this sound naive, i've never operated a webcast so I have no idea what to expect in term of site usage and the number of listeners.

Although i'll be watching closely the bandwidth but i'm concernd that i have to shut the radio down for days so that I don't go over limit.

I tried to look for the information on the shoutcast site but could not find any and i'm hoping that you could help me.

Are there viable alternatives like buying more bandwidth ?
Anything I can configure or compress without loosing quality?
is ther a way I can limit my listeners let's say to half of what I currently have?
Did you ever faced a situation where you had to take the station offline for a couple of days?

Thank you for your time.
MamboChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 11:02   #2
DrO

you would be best asking this question to the host provider that you've chosen as to what they're handling is when bandwidth levels are exceeded as what a host provider does in that case has no relation to SHOUTcast overall and is purely something between you and them.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 14:55   #3
MamboChuck

Hi DrO,

Thank you for your input. I should've perhaps provided a little more about my issue.

I have no other provider. I use only ShoutCast. I simply turn on my winamp and play through DSP plugin. Then my listeners connect to Shoutcast to listen to my station.This way I don't worry about bandwidth issues as there is only one stream uploading to SHoutCast and that is mine.

However I noticed that my bandwidth usage is already at %0.01 for only 40 mins of broacast.These 40 mins were only a test broadcast as am still in the process of setting things up. I imagine that this bandwidth is going to skyrocket once I go online fully as more listeners will connect and more bandwidth will be consumed.

Unless they meant it is data transfer instead cause I was under the impression that I neededn't worry about the bandwidth issues if I use Shoutcast as my broadcasting server.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

(please look at the attachment for a screensgot of the graph)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BW.png
Views:	224
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	49987  
Old 20th October 2012, 15:15   #4
DrO

SHOUTcast is not a host provider (i.e. where your DNAS is hosted separate from you) so you must be using someone based on the wording of your posts. so it is whoever you are paying for that which is who you need to contact to ask your question as it is not us.

-daz
Old 20th October 2012, 15:41   #5
MamboChuck

i'm paying wavestreaming.com. isn't it The Same as SHOUTCast? or at least affiliated somehow?
Old 20th October 2012, 15:50   #6
DrO

SHOUTcast is just the site and associated broadcasting tools and API for the listings to be used in other programs / devices and is a completely different entity to Wavestreaming. they are mentioned on the download page as we believe they are one of the good host providers available and so have partnered with them. but what they provide to you like bandwidth is completely separate from SHOUTcast.

this is why with the bandwidth question you need to talk to them and / or see if there's a FAQ on their site (is likely there is but i cannot check myself at the moment) as this is not something we [SHOUTcast] can give you a definite answer as we don't know what would happen when you go over the bandwidth limit (if i've been told in the past them i cannot remember at the moment).

this is why i said to contact the host provider in my first reply (which i didn't know was Wavestreaming) as they are always going to be the correct place to ask about such things.

-daz
Old 20th October 2012, 15:54   #7
MamboChuck

Thanks DrO,

My Apologies, I was under the impression that I was dealing with the same entity (SHOUTCast and Wavestreaming).

Things are much clearer now. Thank you very much!
Old 20th October 2012, 16:01   #8
DrO

you're not the first and probably not the last to think that. oh well, at least you're pointed in the right direction now which is the main thing.

-daz
Old 20th October 2012, 17:04   #9
MamboChuck

Alright,

This only applies to people who are using WaveStreaming services. For the those who use different hosts i'm not too sure this would help. Sorry!

I know how difficult it is to find information regarding specific issues and it can be frustrating at times. I found some information that can be beneficial for those who are also wondering about bandwidth usage on wavestreaming and I would like to share them with you , with the moderators permission.

I found two, somewhat, conflicting explanation.

If you read the Terms & Conditions under the Streaming, Content Hosting & Licensing section you would find the following:

"...All live streaming purchased from Wavestreaming is limited in bandwidth by a bitrate (X kbps). If you choose to stream above the purchased bitrate on a live server, we reserve the right to terminate your account without warning, refund or explanation.

If your account is suspended because of this, we reserve the right to charge a $5 admin fee"

Further down under Reasonable Usage Policy (Applies only to Podcasting, API Services, Player Services and Ondemand)
you can also find:

"...Server processing and bandwidth resources for these products are shared with other users of the system and clients are required to understand this. We reserve the right to monitor, restrict, suspend or bill clients found to be using a disproportionate level of shared resources on a regular basis. In any such case, we will firstly contact the user to try and find a solution including, but not limited to attempting to compress media to reduce resource usage, upgrading to a higher level of service or restricting download/resource usage."

However under Knowledgebase I found the following:

"Standard Server vs. Pay as you Go SHOUTcast Server?

We offer SHOUTcast plans via 2 billing methods. These are explained as follows...
StandardStreaming service is paid for on a recurring monthly basis. We recommend this solution for most broadcasters' needs.

There are NO bandwidth limits, your server will simply be limited by the maximum number of concurrent (at one time) listener slots. Plus the bitrate (quality of stream) you are broadcasting at (eg 128kbps). The cost on the server will be calculated based on these two limits.

Pay As You GoStreaming service is paid for via bandwidth blocks, which will expire 3 months after purchase if they are not used before hand. PAYG allows you to 'top up' your server as and when you need. Your server will always be online as long as you have bandwidth/data transfer credit in your account. You can monitor how much bandwidth you are using on a daily basis from the control panel.

You can purchase more bandwidth as and when you need. This is ideal for broadcasters who use their servers infrequently or would like to appear as if they have a large capacity server. All PAYG servers are supplied with 250 listener slots as standard.
Which is right for me?

If you run a 24/7 radio station, we'd recommend the standard packages. We also frequently run special offers on standard offerings.

For more infrequent streaming, or for shorter events (eg a 2 week broadcast) pay as you go streaming is more suited to you.
"

As you can see there is an ambiguity that i'm still trying to clarify with customer service. I will update this thread as soon as I have more information.

Regards
Old 21st October 2012, 02:07   #10
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
There are plenty of Shoutcast hosts that have the pay per bandwidth option. I recommend a person who is very good at math to use this option or you'll be paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars if you go over (Not recommended for the average person).

For Pay As You go bandwidth you'd have to calculate how many listeners you get at once per day. So say you have 50 and you stream @128K you have to calculate 128K times 60 minutes times 50 times 24 that is how many gigabytes you'd use per day. Hint: it don't take long to go over 5 GB in one day. You can do that within an hour or two. So even if your using 2 GB per hour multiply that by 24 and then by 30 and that would be how many GB's you use per month.

Too much headache for me.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 02:29   #11
MamboChuck

Hi voodoohippie,

Agreed! Which is what I’m trying to prevent before I go live. I'm don't know which host you're dealing with but when I signed up with mine there were very few options regarding packages. In fact I believe there were only three options. None of them differentiated between pay per bandwidth or unlimited.

I think WaveStreaming should make that clear when people sign up to prevent confusion.

According to the quote above, the bandwidth should not be an issue (in red) for Standard Streaming, but as usual there is always fine print that we tend to overlook. Now I’m sifting through my emails to determine what kind of service I signed for. I don't recall reading this in the dozens of emails I got from WaveStreaming.

If I may ask, which option did you opt for, if any?

Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 03:58   #12
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
I didn't go through WaveStreaming, but I always pick the standard option. Meaning that I pick a certain number of slots and never worry about the bandwidth. Plus I try and go with a Dedicated Shoutcast host for if you choose value hosting its shared bandwidth between several users. One gets a ton of listeners all of a sudden and your stream will buffer like crazy.

I choose to use:
http://1000slots.tk when they had their unlimited Shoutcast promo. Now they still have good standard plans just look at what these guys have to offer.

Some other good ones are iCaster, MakeAVoice, Fastcast4u as I've used these servers before. Its been a while since I've used MakeAVoice but didn't have any trouble as far as the server went. Their AutoDJ is lackluster however.

Hope this helps.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 12:16   #13
ad4mss90

I use FastCast4u services too, and it is a good provider. They have cheapo servers with nice bitrates and unlimitted bandwidth. Also they provide mp3 license keys which are not availble anywhere now.
ad4mss90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 12:26   #14
DrO

as a hosting provider selling keys for a dead product is very legit... especially when they're charging double the price for what AOL had to charge for the sc_trans unlock code. sounds like a money making racket imho and you're posts on here (and other forums) all seem to be pimping their service... especially with all of the quick post and go action that you're doing which is almost spammer like in nature.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions