Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 27th November 2013, 13:22   #1
pitoloko

BUG: Winamp 5.666 (Build 3512) (x86) Can't open more than 1 file at once.

Today I did a clean installation of Winamp 5.666 (Build 3512) (x86) version, and the bug that I've seen is this:

When doubleclicking a file to open it with WinAmp, the playlist is deleted, the song is not played/added, and if were a song playing then that song is stopped.

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Doublelick an mp3 file.

(At this point all is ok, the file is added to the playlist and I can play it)

2. Double click another mp3 file, as many times you like.

(At this point the file which was playing is stopped, the playlist is empty and the new song is not added/played.)

And here is a 30 secs. video to show the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHP3uO-TOYc

And while I were posting this message I've found another relative bug, if you select more than one audio file and you press ENTER key (to open all files at once inside WinAmp playlist) then any file will be added/played.

As you can see this is not a minor bug, I think this need to be threated as a mayor bug because what kind of audio player can't open a file to play it?.

Please someone of WinAmp Developer Team can answer to this message? I would like to know when could be solved this bug.

My OS enviroment is windows 8 x64,
this is the first problem that I have with WinAmp ( and I'm using winamp from version 2.X, so many years of installs/uninstalls! :P ),
the multi instance options is disabled, anyways I've tried to enable the option to see what happens but... any other WinAmp instace runs when I click on multiple files,
I did a custom installation of WinAmp, I've discarted some things of the media library and other things, I only installed the necesarry to play files.

If you need my Winamp.INI files to see my configuration or need my registry settings derived of winamp keys or anything else then just tell me...

Thankyou for read.

PS: Please solve this quickly, I'm in loving with WinAmp from many years ago!.
PS2: Sorry for my bad English.
pitoloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 14:41   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitoloko View Post
I did a custom installation of WinAmp, I've discarted some things of the media library and other things, I only installed the necesarry to play files.
It seems you may have left something out. I'm not having the problem, but I'm using Win 7. Even so, other Win 8 users should be screaming. Use the Info Tool (link below) to make an extended report of your configuration and post a zipped copy.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 14:53   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi

Could you try with the updated Spanish Lang Pack from
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates

Other than that, I can't reproduce it either, so yes, an Info Tool log would be helpful.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 15:56   #4
pitoloko

the same thing can be reproduced from commandline, just if you do this to open a file (with winamp closed):
code:
Winamp.exe "C:\File1.mp3"

...It opens ok, but if you do it again with other file (while winamp still running):
code:
Winamp.exe "C:\File2.mp3"

Then the playlist beings cleared, the file is not added, the sound stops.

Anyways I've found a solution, but the solution does not satisfy me.

1. To be able (at least in my case) to load (more than 1) files by doublecliking them from explorer, I need to activate this option:

And also I need to select the "play in Winamp" context menu option:

The problem?

The problem is that I don't want to use the WinAmp shellex contextmenu options, I don't want to depend on those options, I just wanted to open files when I doubleclick on the files...

The file association logic of this winamp version is really bad, I' was using 5.61 without any problem

If I uncheck the "play in Winamp" context menu option then winamp deassociates the default "open\command" for mp3 files so when I double click on an mp3 file another program opens my file.

So resuming, I have an unecessary context menu option activated (play in winamp) an option that I will never going to use, just to be able to doubleclick on multiple files to play them in winamp.

The file association need to be improved/fixed !!

I've monitored the registry changes of winamp installation,
I've tried to save the needed values to open files (the CLSID's and the "HKLM\Winamp.File.MP3\Play\Command" values) then I deleted ALL the winamp reg keys (because that's another one, this winamp uninstaller is a shit and didn't removed any file association neither the clsids, I removed more than 70 regvalues manually)
then after removing all the winamp generated regkeys, I've coded by myself a file-association registry script, just to see what happens, but ofcourse instead of "...\Winamp.File.MP3\Play\Command" I putted in "...Winamp.File.MP3\Open\Command" because the "Open" command is the default action for any file (something that winamp corrupts) this is how the script looks:

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3]
@="Winamp.File.MP3"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.MP3\shell\Open]
@="&Abrir"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.MP3\shell\Open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Winamp\\winamp.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.MP3\shell\Open\DropTarget]
"Clsid"="{46986115-84D6-459c-8F95-52DD653E532E}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Winamp.File.MP3\shell\Open]
@="&Abrir"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Winamp.File.MP3\shell\Open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Winamp\\winamp.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Winamp.File.MP3\shell\Open\DropTarget]
"Clsid"="{46986115-84D6-459c-8F95-52DD653E532E}"

; CLSIDS
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{46986115-84D6-459c-8F95-52DD653E532E}\LocalServer32]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\WinAMP\\winamp.exe\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{46986115-84D6-459c-8F95-52DD653E532E}\LocalServer32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{46986115-84D6-459c-8F95-52DD653E532E}\LocalServer32]

Then I've installed winamp as normally, I've disabled the contextmenu integration, and I've added the registry script... it worked? unafortunally NOT!, I still need to enable the contextmenu integration and select the "play in winamp".

Well, I hope that this information could help to improve it.

PS: I think that after this is not necessary to share a log, but if still needing just tell me
PS2: sorry again for my English

Thanks for read!

EDIT:
I will rectify, I've deleted again all the winamp generated reg keys, installed winamp, and added the registry script, it works as expected! if I select multiple files all are added/played in the same winamp instance, and also I can click any file while winamp is running and the file is played.

EDIT2:
It only works until the moment that I open Winamp options menu, when I open the options it corrupts again my file association... and also add automatically those annonying "play in winamp, enqueue, etc.." context menu options, then if I uncheck those options, all goes wrong again.
pitoloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 08:27   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitoloko View Post
It only works until the moment that I open Winamp options menu, when I open the options it corrupts again my file association... and also add automatically those annonying "play in winamp, enqueue, etc.." context menu options, then if I uncheck those options, all goes wrong again.
Ok, what you are talking about is technically not a bug. These are design decisions. You are not the only one to disagree with them. There are other posts on this in which Nullsoft devs have tried to explain things.

At this point, with the announced shutdown by AOL, these registry command associations (if that is the right terminology) are not going to change.

Since you understand the registry and your alternate scheme works for you, I'm sure you can make the registry include files that will allow you to quickly reverse registry key changes (when you are forced to use the Winamp options that affect them).

You can disable the options that have Winamp automatically update it's file association registry keys on startup. AFAIK, just opening General Preferences should not cause registry keys to change, unless it's opening to a tab with the associated options or such a tab is switched to.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Last edited by Aminifu; 28th November 2013 at 11:18.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support