Old 21st June 2013, 22:36   #1
on_board

Folder view available?

I am a returning user and I just bought the pro license recently. Is there a way to get the Winamp Library to show my folders? I am finding scrolling through the huge list of files to be tiresome. The ability to navigate to a folder easily and play an album must be there somehow. C:/music/artist/album/files.etc

Thanks.
on_board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 23:14   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Not at the moment, sorry.
Though there might be some plugin out there...?

To play a specific folder...

Main menu (via top left corner icon, or right-click anywhere on the frame) > Play > Folder
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:27   #3
on_board

Thanks. It's just so much easier to "see" what is in your collection if you don't have to scroll through every file.
Old 22nd June 2013, 04:28   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi on_board,

If all your songs have been added to the media library then you can customize the columns in the media library's tracks pane for the 'local library - audio' smartview to add a column for file path. Right click on the heading of any of the existing columns to get access to the customizing dialog. Then you can sort the list by file path to group all songs from each folder together.

You can also create your own folder views. Use the media library's 'smartview' feature and create a view for each of your folders in order to get listings of just the songs in each folder.

The smartview feature is very powerful. You can use it to create views sorting your files almost any way you want.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 04:29   #5
on_board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi on_board,

If all your songs have been added to the media library then you can customize the columns in the media library's tracks pane for the 'local library - audio' smartview to add a column for file path. Right click on the heading of any of the existing columns to get access to the customizing dialog. Then you can sort the list by file path to group all songs from each folder together.

You can also create your own folder views. Use the media library's 'smartview' feature and create a view for each of your folders in order to get listings of just the songs in each folder.

The smartview feature is very powerful. You can use it to create views sorting your files almost any way you want.
So for instance I have a media library with many hundreds of artists, with multiple albums by each artist. Would one "smartview" per artist achieve what I am trying to do? With a standard folder approach as in windows, you simply click on the artist's folder, say REM, and you would then see all the albums by that artist, in their respective folders. Very easy to navigate. Sorting by file path just isn't the same as grabbing an album. Is there a plug in that enhances this somehow? Perhaps by album art?
Old 25th June 2013, 09:28   #6
DrO

you don't need a smart view for every possibility.

with one view setup to show all, have the first filtering to do by artist, the second to do by album. then you can see the files of the album in the tracks pane at the bottom.

so you select artist in the first pane to get the respective albums in the second pane. in the second pane you can then just double click the specific album to play it or single click to view the files of the album.

that sounds like it'd do what you want and can still be done in 2 clicks. plus if you have a specific artist in mid you can just search for them to save scrolling to find them as you have to otherwise do this way or via an explorer view.

so if I've read things correctly then you can do what you're wanting, is just a slight change in how the data is displayed to get at the albums vs a tree based view.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 10:42   #7
Kumidan

I think that a navigation by folders is something which must be added to the new versions.
I've got several folders which contains songs by different artists and each of them has its own album name (the real album to which each song belongs) and it is a pain to select the songs from those folders.

Is it that hard to put a native file explorer into the media library?
I've found a plugin which does that, but it seems to don't work anymore with the newest Winamp version.
Kumidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 13:30   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Kumidan,

The key to file management in Winamp is proper tagging, not file location. If your files use formats that support tagging and you have entered the correct artist, album artist, title, track, and album tags (as a minimum), then what DrO suggests in post #6 above should work very well for you.

If you use the 'Watch Folders' feature to enter all the root folders of your file storage structure, then all your files can be scanned into the media library no matter where they are located. After that, the smart views will use each file's tag metadata to sort and present your files almost any way you want.

Even if some of your file formats do not support tagging, metadata can still be associated with these files and saved in the media library database instead of in the files themselves.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support