Old 1st September 2001, 14:52   #1
damonrand

HTTP streaming from password protected sites

Hi,
I have successfully uploaded my MP3 collection to my website and password protected it (Basic authentication).

I can use Winamp to stream files from my site now BUT I must add username and passwords manually to each line in my m3u files.

http://username:password@mysite.com/file.mp3

Otherwise I get '401 Unauthorized' appearing in Winamp. It would ne really good to have winamp popup a authentication dialog box the same way Netscape and IE do but WA 2.75 doesn't seem to support this?

Cheers
Damon.
damonrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2001, 02:17   #2
rensinger

I have the same problem here, except I'm using NT authentication.

I can get the file to play in Media Player w/
http://username:password@www.mysite.com/xxx.mp3

but I can't get winamp to play it at all.

Help! I don't wanna have to switch to media player for playing all my MP3s!
rensinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2001, 20:16   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Sorry, no idea

Just a question though:
Why is the site password protected in the first place?
Is it just so you and only you can access it?
If so, I don't really see the point, unless you're trying to save on Hard Disk space or you don't have a CD Burner?

Also, it's weird how Username:Password works for damonrand but not you!

Are you behind a firewall? If so, you'll need to configure it to allow winamp full access to the net/ports/etc.

Or are you using a proxy connection?
If so, enter the correct info in Winamp Prefs -> Setup, eg.
Server:Port -or- Username:Password@Server:Port
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2002, 09:29   #4
damonrand

> Just a question though:
> Why is the site password protected in the first place?
> Is it just so you and only you can access it?
> If so, I don't really see the point, unless you're trying to
> saveon Hard Disk space or you don't have a CD Burner?

So what you're asking is why I want to password protect 6Gb of music files sitting on my internet webserver? Well, lets see..

A) I'm not legally allowed to redistribute other peoples music. The MP3's are rips of CD's I own; that may, in itself, be illegal but I can apply a 'what they don't know won't hurt them' policy there.
B) My ISP will get a little upset if thousands of net users want to download all my music files.. I normally access the server through a local DSL connection that doesn't tie up the ISP's primary pipe.

Well I'm being a little facisish (sp?). What you really meant was why do I want my MP3's on internet at all? Well actually I don't have enough harddisk space on the laptop I use at home; and I don't have a CD burner. But mainly I like the idea (so far unrealised ) that I could visit someone else's house or an internet cafe and play my own music. In fact, I could just say 'because I can' is a good enough reason too.

There is another security option. I can restrict the website to only allow access from my IP address but what if I want to access my music from someone elses house occasionally.

Best option is to add basic authentication support to winamp, its trivial to implement..

Regards
Damon.
damonrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2002, 13:28   #5
rensinger

Hey damonrand,
Thought I'd post the solution I'm running with.

I switched my website over to Post Nuke, a PHP CMS that has built in security levels, allowing you to control who gets access to what. I'm running Andromeda as a block. While it's not system level security, the PHP does subterfuge the URLS and gives you really good control over access. For a simpler solution, you can run the ASP version of Andromeda, it has a simple login sysem that you can enable, although I haven't tried it.

Let me know if you need any help

Last edited by rensinger; 18th January 2002 at 13:49.
rensinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support