Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 22nd October 2011, 05:24   #1
Dyetan

Process does not exit cleanly, must kill process on windows 7 x64

I have the same problem previously described

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....t=kill+process

Every time I use winamp pro I must force the program to exit, it doesn't terminate cleanly and must be killed with task manager. I have to find the winamp.exe process and terminate it. Otherwise the program will not launch again, and uses about 100MB of memory. This has been a problem for a long time, I assumed the updates would correct it.

Attached is a dxdiag and the winamp required files. In short the system specs are:

Windows 7 home premium x64
AMD Phenom 2 945 processor
ASUS M4a79XTD Evo mainboard
AMD 790X Northbridge
AMD SB750 Southbridge
HIS IceQ-X 2GB DDR3 Radeon HD 6950 Pci-E
8GB Cl7 DDR3 1600 RAM
Via HD Audio Bus (SPDIF out)
Marvell 91xx SATA III controller
Hitachi 7200 RPM 2TB SATA 6GB/sec
Hitachi 7200 RPM 1TB SATA 3GB/sec
Winamp 5.621 Jul 11 2011
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_DxDiag.txt (39.8 KB, 335 views)
File Type: txt my_plugin_list_ext.txt (3.8 KB, 181 views)
File Type: txt my_plugin_compat_list.txt (1.9 KB, 185 views)
Dyetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 13:53   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Dyetan,

A few of us have reported this problem. I suggest you read the linked thread for
suggestions.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=329795
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 19:56   #3
Dyetan

totally

It's alright I've got it running.

However the information provided should help resolve the issue with the software malfunctioning when it is installed.

I don't need to use the plays4sure plugin fortunately, so winamp works until it's updated again, then I'll have to disable it again unless someone works on the plays4sure plugin with this hardware/operating system.
Old 24th October 2011, 20:04   #4
DrO

as a note, when the installer runs, if you uncheck the relevant portables option for that type then it won't be installed again when using the previous install feature. though i don't think there will be any update for that plug-in since PlaysForSure is effectively dead (maybe it's time to not have that installed by default on clean installs...).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 20:24   #5
Dyetan

Thanks!
Old 27th October 2011, 17:25   #6
Zogundar

So what's the culprit plugin? I'm also having this problem periodically. It doesn't happen every time I try to close winamp. Inconveniently it seems to only happen if I've had it running for a while, (Thus destroying the last four or more hours of my media library history.) If I open it and try to close it almost immediately there are (AFAIR) no problems.
Zogundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 02:30   #7
Zogundar

I -think- I fixed the problem (I'm not comfortable enough to try frequently when it might mean the loss of 4+ hours of history.) Or found the culprit, rather. I believe it was NOD32. I noticed that its CPU usage shot up when this occurred. At first I tried adding the Winamp folder as an exception, but this did nothing. Then I added the Winamp Documents & Settings folder - where the history/recent.idx files are - as an exception, and I think it has stopped happening now. Can anyone confirm that there's a conflict between the two programs?
Zogundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 09:25   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Zogundar,

I don't use NOD32, but when I excluded those WA files from scan on-access by my antivirus app (Avira) the frequency of the exit problem went way down.

It also seems to help if I stop playing music and wait at-least 3 minutes before exiting. I know that sounds silly, but WA almost always exits completely when I do that.

This problem has been reported by various users since version 5.1. Most have reported a plugin being the cause. Trouble is, it's always a different plugin. If you still have the problem, try removing all optional plugins you don't use or really need, especially those over 5 years old.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support