Old 17th October 2008, 10:34   #1
TREADJF

Format Converter multi-core..

I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and converting mp3(320kbps for 128bps) in Winamp, i see Winamp use only one core.

Are you Winamp Team thinking to implement Format Converter for Multi-Core?

If no, can anyone say me any good program to convert mp3 using all cores? Or who knows, any program using the power of GPU?

I like very much of Format Converter, but using just one core kill me. Also seems don't using the instructions SSE3 what would be faster.

Thanks a lot..

PS: WinXP SP3 here..
TREADJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:23   #2
sacharja

+1

SMP, threads, GPGPU
sacharja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 00:51   #3
TREADJF

Well, I workaround this problem running 4 instances of Winamp. For example, each Winamp convert 250 mp3, that way I convert 1000 mp3 in less time.
TREADJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:07   #4
blazin9s

Anybody find a fix to this?

I use dBpoweramp for my main stuff, but when it comes down to making playlists for the portable player I need to be able to convert those selected FLAC files to lossy format on the ASAP. Foobar uses all cores. I see winamp uses 1.

Any solutions??
blazin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2014, 12:38   #5
blazin9s

3 and half years later, any updates on this?
Old 22nd November 2014, 13:12   #6
DrO

nope and as much as it's something which should be implemented, there's a hell of a lot more that needs to be done to just have a new official Winamp client, let alone improving things which require a lot of re-working (as this does). and this is something which has been asked for for twice as long as you've been asking for it.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2014, 17:09   #7
blazin9s

I have no doubt it's been asked for years probably by every user possible. So that begs the question, why on earth hasn't it been done yet, it's clearly one of the most important features. It can't possibly be that hard to implement. I'm sure if a few people put their heads together it could be done in a single weekend at the most. I have no doubt if the motivation was there it could get done even much quicker than that. It exists on other players, just rig it somehow and perfect it later.
Old 22nd November 2014, 17:27   #8
DrO

so bodge it and get complaints it's crap? that is not a solution and one which has been done on other thing in the past and that then never gets perfected (hence the state of the current solution that was put in). and motivation is not the issue but the lack of time and resources is the crux of issue. and if it's so simple to get it done right (it took fb2k a number of releases to get it working right), why aren't you offering to make a 3rd party plug-in which shows how easily it can be done ?
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist