Old 29th December 2007, 21:17   #1
dang0001

Does Winamp have an answer to iTunes' Cover Flow view?

After declaring iTunes my preferred jukebox player about a year ago, I recently downloaded 5.51 to see if there was anything new that might make me change my mind. To be sure, Winamp has a lot going for it, but it still looks pretty utilitarian compared with iTunes.

iTunes' Cover Flow View looks so much more pleasing than anything I've been able to get Winamp to do. As the screenshots below demonstrate, iTunes gives me a means to prominently display the cover art in an aesthetically pleasing way. Winamp's "Now Playing" view is okay, but it tries to sell me cars and pimple cream, and the album cover isn't nearly as big.

My question: have any of you folks stumbled upon Winamp settings or plugins that provide a meaningful answer to iTunes' Cover Flow view?

dang0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 01:28   #2
nemski

You mean like this?

nemski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 17:11   #3
dang0001

That definitely looks better! How'd you do that?
dang0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 23:48   #4
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Create or edit a smart view. Set one of the filters to Album Art. Then hit OK. You can change the layout of the covers by clicking on one of the buttons in the top right corner of the library.

You can also toggle an existing view to show covers by pressing the button that looks like an image of a mountain.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 23:58   #5
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
J_Darnley... that's all good as long as dang0001 isn't looking to change what is displayed in the Now Playing section of the ML, because that is what he is showing us in this screenshot he posted above, and that can not be changed since it's all server-side.

No problem though, as long as dang0001 understands the section of the ML you mentioned above, understands the concept of editing/creating smart views, and understands that it does not refer to the Now Playing section.

So... do you understand that, dang0001?

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 13:18   #6
VesaV

How to show covers in Winamp Media Library (Winamp 5.58)

The question in this thread is old, but still valid. I'll update the answer with the current version of Winamp (5.58) and with some pictures since the procedure is not so straightforward if you've never done it before.

HERE IS WHAT YOU'LL GET:

HOW TO DO IT:
1) In Media Library right click on ’Local Media’ and choose ’Add Smart View…’:

2) Choose ’Simple Album’ from the presets and click OK:

3) Click on the ’Pane options’ button and choose ’Large Icon’ (in the picture it's not checked yet):

4) Stretch the view of Media Library to suit your preferences and you’re done

If you like you can order the Albums in this view by clicking the different headers in the view. The little triangle will indicate by which field the albums are ordered in the view. (In this picture by Year.)

This is not as flashy as iTunes Coverflow, but I like the flexibility that comes with the Winamp Smart Views

P.S. If you like the Lyrics Plugin that is showed in the picture you can get it from here http://www.winamp.com/plugin/lyrics-plugin/148097
VesaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support