Old 14th September 2015, 11:45   #1
mooseling

Changing Output Device Quickly

Hey all,

I'm only just getting used to Winamp, so I'm a total noob.

Anyway, I use a usb sound card most of the time, but sometimes I just use the speakers on my laptop. It's not hard to change between devices, but it takes a little while. I was wondering if it were possible to use the drawer to list output devices and switch between them, or some sidebar or something. Winamp seems so customizable that I'd be surprised if it were impossible. Any ideas?
mooseling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 15:30   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Look in the configuration options of the output plug-in you're using. Press the <Ctrl + P> keyboard keys to open the Winamp preferences window. Scroll to and select the output plug-ins group on the left side of this window and select the specific plug-in and it's configuration window on the right side.

For example, the "Device" tab of the DirectSound output plug-in's configuration window has a multiple choice control that lets you select the sound device you want to use (as long as it's driver is installed and Windows recognizes it).

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 16:10   #3
mooseling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Look in the configuration options of the output plug-in you're using. Press the <Ctrl + P> keyboard keys to open the Winamp preferences window. Scroll to and select the output plug-ins group on the left side of this window and select the specific plug-in and it's configuration window on the right side.

For example, the "Device" tab of the DirectSound output plug-in's configuration window has a multiple choice control that lets you select the sound device you want to use (as long as it's driver is installed and Windows recognizes it).
Yeah, that's easy to do. I'm wondering if anybody knows how to put these options somewhere in the window for quick switching.
Old 19th September 2015, 20:32   #4
Supra107

Well, even if you would be able to quickly change the output device, you still need to restart Winamp for changes to take effect nevertheless.
Supra107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 02:31   #5
ryerman
Major Dude

delete

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 17:40   #6
thinktink
Forum King

There's no API for output plugins to receive output device change requests, and for good reason:

As an output plugin might be able to use a device that may not necessarily be available to a another output plugin there's no way to bring consistency among the output plugins for hardware or virtual devices. The only reliable way to change an output plugin's output device is to select the device FROM the output plugin's configuration dialog as the output plugin itself is the only piece of software that can consistently determine what compatible devices are available for the application (PCM audio data from Winamp.)

The most any developer could do to make switching between devices faster with any consistency and reliability for all plugins is just provide a shortcut of some kind to bring up the output plugin's configuration window. That's about it.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 12:09   #7
mooseling

Ok thanks, point taken.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
drawer, output device